Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
26 crawler(s) on-line.
 139 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AndreasM:  9 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  34 mins ago
 Hypex:  42 mins ago
 kolla:  51 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 OldFart:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  End of Moobunny
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
sundown 
Re: End of Moobunny
Posted on 14-Apr-2015 6:26:19
#81 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Quote:
How many would be interested in a completely open, as in unmoderated, Amiga related forum?

Not me. moobunny made it clear how much they hated us, now we're suppost to invite them into out house?

Profile     Report this post  
agami 
Re: Get A Life Wayne... Fer Gawds Sake...
Posted on 14-Apr-2015 6:40:44
#82 ]

@number6

Touché

agami 
Posted on 14-Apr-2015 6:43:18
#83 ]

@sundown

I wouldn't go as far as comparing this forum to an outhouse. We haven't sunk that low yet.

ChrisH 
Posted on 14-Apr-2015 8:52:30
#84 ]
Elite Member

I shall shed no tears....

OlafS25 
Posted on 14-Apr-2015 9:05:27
#85 ]
Elite Member

@agami

unmoderated would be illegal (at least where I live) because when f.e. rumors are spread that harm a company or hurt the right of individuals. What I disliked at moobunny was the personal insulting stuff there, you can discuss about topics and have different views but you must not insult persons.

Or one person made a post like:

"AmigaOS is rubbish" and then no explanation why
then another one answered:
"MorphOS is dead" (again no explanation)

and so on

that is child level, i expect that from childs at the age of 6 or 7 but not from adults

Last edited by OlafS25 on 14-Apr-2015 at 09:08 AM.

Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 14-Apr-2015 10:13:40
#86 ]

What was childish was all the spam, and there was no doubt where it came from because every time there was a critical light on something AmigaOS4 related the spam appeared.

I was no long-term use of the site but long enough to notice this.

Using: One Commodore C64 - One Commodore Amiga 500 - One Commodore Amiga 1200 with BVision and Blizzard 68060 with PPC coprocessor running Amiga DOS - One Hellbillylitre Amigatwox86x64x6000x running Windows7

megol 
Posted on 14-Apr-2015 10:28:27
#87 ]

@sundown

Don't know why the Amiga attracts so many mentally ill people. Yes I include you among them.
I doubt any one from moobunny hates you and I doubt anyone would hate you even if you actually were someone of relevance.
Most hatred in the Amiga sphere comes from name worshipers not liking people* pointing out lies, exaggerations and hypocrisy.

(* including trolls - yes even those that tell the truth can be trolling)

agami 
Posted on 14-Apr-2015 13:35:39
#88 ]

@OlafS25

Illegal? That's interesting. I mean, I'm not oblivious to the concepts of slander and libel , but that somehow it extends to a public forum is, well, interesting.

I'm of the firm conviction that if a person wishes to express "AmigaOS is rubbish" then he or she should have a place where they can say that. And he or she should feel that an explanation is optional.

I've been toying around with a new online forum model and was wondering if this might be a good first test case, that's all.

number6 
Posted on 14-Apr-2015 13:39:07
#89 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Quote:
I've been toying around with a new online forum model and was wondering if this might be a good first test case, that's all.

Or you could contact the old crew and debate with them whether there has been enough news in the intervening time to do at least one more episode of AmigaRoundTable.

OlafS25 
Posted on 14-Apr-2015 13:48:21
#90 ]
Elite Member

@agami

I mean something like "company xyz is cheating their customers". If people read that it can do a lot of harm to a company so of course you have to remove it. Or call for hurting someone and publish the adress and so on.

Saying "AmigaOS is rubbish" is not illegal, perhaps without explanation not very intelligent and convincing but not illegal. And "unmoderated" means to me noone is moderating.

And regarding "AmigaOS is rubbish", I would wait for "because" there. And on Moobunny many postings were without "because".

Last edited by OlafS25 on 14-Apr-2015 at 01:50 PM.

agami 
Posted on 15-Apr-2015 9:55:20
#91 ]

@number6

That would be nice, alas I don't think Rich has any Amiga energy left in him.

Wayne 
Why "open" doesn't work..
Posted on 15-Apr-2015 11:35:32
#92 ]

Quote:

agami wrote:
@thread

How many would be interested in a completely open, as in unmoderated, Amiga related forum?

Unfortunately, this thread is a good example of why "unmoderated" doesn't work, and it's not related to the Amiga, it's community, or any of the users involved. It's universal.

This thread started out talking about Moobunny going offline. Solid subject, and it's why I popped in (the thread was here and not elsewhere, no sense starting another somewhere else).

Then, someone decided to pop in and start laying down a layer of flame. I -- being the idiot I can be -- walked right into it and started flailing about, making things worse, and definitely taking the subject off-topic. For that, I apologize. Mea Culpa.

That being said, my point is -- as someone who has moderated various forums and sites for nearly 20 years now -- anonymity (even if you attach a pseudonym to it) breeds immaturity. It promotes childishness and the feeling that you can say anything, insult anyone, do whatever you want and get away with it because at the end of the day, no one knows who you are, and no one can show up on your doorstep to hold you accountable for your actions...

In the 80's and 90's, we didn't really have the Internet. We had user groups. User groups were usually small, isolated bands of people who gathered for a common interest. If someone like our most notorious troll showed up and started acting the way he does anonymously, they were pretty much shunned and ignored, and left on their own accord...

The Internet however doesn't work that way. You can't simply ignore a moron and expect them to get the hint. They just keep hammering away until someone -- in the previous example, me -- bites off on the bait, then they really get started.

No, "open, unmoderated" simply doesn't work...

The trouble is finding a balance between "open unmoderated" and "arsehole nazi moderation", and -- as experience has taught me -- there's no real clear line that a moderator can walk, because different people interpret different things completely differently than each other.

Years and years ago, what some of you saw as me being a {bleep} when running Amiga.org, others appreciated because I they realized that I was simply trying to keep things from going "totally Moobunny" (to use the name as an adjective)...

So no, I might hover, but opening up another free range Moobunny for the trolls to play in doesn't hold any real interest at all.

Regards,

Wayne

*//

Boot_WB 
Re: Why "open" doesn't work..
Posted on 15-Apr-2015 11:58:14
#93 ]

@Wayne

In that light, John S tried an interesting experiment (one of many) in the last few weeks of the Moo:

Don't remove the comment, don't ban the troll, don't lock the thread: just lock the comment to prevent replies.

A determined person can still get round it of course, but after writing the response, filling in captcha, and then hitting reply - to then be presented with a 'replies to this message are blocked'... It's much more effective than blocking replies earlier in the process, since the responder has already 'vented' (albeit privately), and then has to actively circumvent the blocking, disrespecting the reason that block was put in place in the first place... It really makes you think again!

No one fix will solve the problem, but I thought this was a great strategy to reduce the impact (at least of a single troll, although might not work so well if there are multiple arseholes intent on a flamewar).

Wayne 
Posted on 15-Apr-2015 12:19:36
#94 ]

@Boot_WB

That actually sounds like a great idea, limiting replies to a comment...

The problem I see with it is that John, or a moderator, or someone, would still have to spend hours and hours of every single day reading, proofing, then locking every comment or reply to every thread, and that in itself is incredibly exhausting.

Such a thing makes a moderator pretty much want to give up (which, I suspect, is how Moobunny got where it ended up, and why Amigawiki.com just turned off user submissions altogether...)

Back on topic, I do hope that John gets it all sorted and doesn't really give up. I just don't see how something useful might be possible without some sort of user registration system.

Wayne

*//

agami 
Posted on 16-Apr-2015 8:07:14
#95 ]

@Wayne

Perhaps unmoderated was a poor choice of terms. With existing forum engines I can see how such a function is imperative.

What I meant to imply is more like self-moderated or auto-moderated.

_Steve_ 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 0:09:33
#96 ]
Team Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@agami

Quote:

Due to the time constraints of the remaining staff, you basically just posted on such a forum. (evil grin)

Well not entirely But yes many of the staff do have a lack of free time at this moment in time due to work and other real life issues.

@thread

Having just read over several ARs relating to this thread, I am just going to say this once - keep it on topic, keep it clean and let's not use this site to air old laundry. This really will be my only statement on the matter. Next time there will just be restrictions issued.

@agami

Much as we would all just like to allow things to essentially be unmoderated, history proves that it is a pipe dream that is unworkable in practice. Some people are just inherently prone to being rude and abusive and will bring things to a head very quickly. We try to keep moderation to a minimum, but when members keep going off the rails, there isn't much else that we can do aside from moderate those posts.

If you do go down that route, well all I can say is I wish you luck (as generally setting up, running and maintaining a site is a thankless task, and no matter how much you try not to, you will annoy someone at some point).

number6 
Posted on 1-Jul-2017 16:15:41
#97 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Another slow day, so...although not brand new, I did find this:

http://www.moobunny.org/

number6 
Posted on 19-Oct-2017 21:02:26
#98 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Do you miss the Moo?

From their twitter:

Quote:
Thinking vs. believing. Fake news and opportunistic Commodore & Amiga “friends” are not my friends!

Seems some of the info is taken from AW news sources, so it's not quite what you're thinking. heh.

Beans 
Posted on 19-Oct-2017 23:40:54
#99 ]

@agami

Yes, 'illegal'? Not in the US. Maybe some of you all favor censorship, and I find some obnoxious posters irritating, but I find today obsession with political correctness to be OH so more so.

Raffaele 
Posted on 20-Oct-2017 5:46:32
#100 ]

@number6

Moobunny without John Shepard it is just as like if Apple had had called Durian the Macintosh...

The fact the mail to contact the guy is "ibeapple@gmail.com" then also makes the whole new moobunny affair just stinking right as a durian fruit...

Moobunny was a great Amiga scandalistic, innuendo and gossips site. Now it is just a joke for a macholic dandy not even related to Amiga and from its presentation lines he seems IMHO just aiming to make some users abandon the platform.

What a pity...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle