Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 135 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  54 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 corb0:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 51 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 25 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Do we have anyhing that can load "docx" or "xlsx" ?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hypex 
Do we have anyhing that can load "docx" or "xlsx" ?
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 17:46:13
#1 ]
Elite Member

I have a need to open docx or xlsx files. Do we have anything? Native?

I have an old X11R6.3p3 Cygnix install with AbiWord that locks up itself when I try to load docx and it doesn't know what xlxs is.

I'd prefer it if I didn't need to update this Cygnix and use it as I'd really prefer to use native OS4 software as the fake software is so slow and un-Amiga like.

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Re: Do we have anyhing that can load "docx" or "xlsx" ?
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 17:47:49
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Docx load works here in AbiWord. Cinamon Writer is also able to load docx (plain text). Try load xlxs in Gnumeric.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 18:15:42
#3 ]

@Hypex

For editing or just viewing?

If just viewing, you could convert it online to pdf.

If editing, and stretching the definition of native... Odyssey web browser + ms office online is useable (on morphos at least, i would assume the same with the aos version) not sure how it compares to cygnix for sluggishness (heavy web app).

Logging into a local windows box via rdeskrtop and using ms office is imho the most practical solution.

pavlor 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 18:17:02
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

AbiWord is useable in WinUAE (picasso96clonewb is best setting there), I expect it will be even better on real hardware.

Tuxedo 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 20:18:26
#5 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

on Pegasos2 G4 All AmiCygniX (inlcuded gIMP) was quite useable, only problem wa the gfx update but still not so bad tu use...

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 11:34:32
#6 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

I first tried AbiWord but on the docx I had which was only a small one page document but it just hogged the system for five minutes with no loading progress so I gave up on it. I tried it on my old Mac and it loaded into TextEduit in a cinch. Putty we don't have an app like that. Good enough to use a word processor when you nee done.

I was wondering if Cinamon Writer could do it. It was in the back of my mind. I think if developed futher this will be our future hope.

I think I have Gnumeric. Here. Will see. I doubt TurboCalc will handle it! Thanks for tips.

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 11:53:59
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

I just need to view it. And likely to copy some text into the clipboard. I forgot about the online converters. Great tip, thanks. But I am concerned this time I as was emailed an invoice so don't want to upload personal details to the internet.

I was hoping to just use OS4 as this is my email machine. I'll likely just USB it to my Mac and grab the info I need there then copy it back. Sometimes I FTP but networking can take longer. It's sad as it is such a basic thing to do these days and we are still far behind. I don't think we are much better than years ago when you had to buy a shareware app to read Word files and all it did was extract the text!

But what really annoys me is that Microsoft allegedly expanded on the ASCII standard by inventing RTF and nobody uses it! A true cross platform format, small and supported on the Amiga. But no one knows about it. Argh!!! Except Apple who took it on abord and IIRC added their own extensions.

PR 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 12:30:17
#8 ]

That's why I found the PC for the not so fun work, basic stuff. Text,Net,Pictures to print. Mickeysoft.

New
Amigainnovations?

Varthall 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 14:01:20
#9 ]

@Hypex

I think you'll have to update AmiCygnix, AbiWord and Gnumeric to the latest versions and see if your documents are correctly opened by the latter two. Later AmiCygnix versions are faster than the older ones btw.

Varthall

Deniil715 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 14:08:43
#10 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Odyssey + Office Online would be the most compatible way I suppose. Usable, but not fast.

Just login to live/hotmail and you have it in the top-left corner. May work without login as well, not sure.

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 15:49:07
#11 ]
Elite Member

@All

Okay so I took the file to my Mac. Only to find that it doesn't know what it is either! And The Unarchiver tried to open it.

What bizarre is that I activated Quicklook on it and it did load up the file but what did it use to read it?! I had AppleWorks but it was too old. So I gave up on the Mac. I didn't bother with the PC as I know I have only installed AbiWord.

So I got out that old chestnut. I remembered I there are three Lnux installs on my ty A1 and the oldest works! So I booted into Ubuntu 9 and OpenOffice loaded it up. It could save as PDF but everything else gave a Java error. Fancy needing Java to export a file.

So after I then loaaoded the PDF into OS4 and saved out as text. Looked a bit plain. I was watching a movie at the time but doing all this in between commercials took hours!

Pity AmiPDF can't let you drag select text. So, even if it wasn't the process I wanted, I at least did it all on my AmigaOne. Even if I saved to USB forst.

Hypex 
Posted on 10-May-2015 15:24:02
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Varthall

Okay so I just did that and updated. Wasted my time. XLSX isn't even supported. I don't understand, it works in the Ubuntu I installed on my A1 about five years ago!

Xenic 
Posted on 10-May-2015 16:59:41
#13 ]

@Hypex
Quote:
Pity AmiPDF can't let you drag select text.

It does for me. I click the "Select" button at the top of the AmiPDF window and then drag across the text I want to copy. Then I select the "Edit/Copy to clipboard" menu item and the text can then be pasted in an editor. Of course if the text is actually part of an image, it won't be possible to copy it.

jaokim 
Posted on 10-May-2015 18:20:25
#14 ]

@Hypex
Quote:
The Unarchiver tried to open it.

Xlsx and Docx are technically just zip files with XML files, style sheets, and image files. So, in theory you should be able to unpack them with UnArc and view the XML files with, say Notepad. If you can manage to decipher which XML documents relate to what information, you could probably make sense of the document. In theory, at least.

KimmoK 
Posted on 11-May-2015 8:29:34
#15 ]
Elite Member

Stupid idea, but...
-IntelAtom/Baytrail based x86/x64 device in a 3.5" drive slot (or attached to rear card slot bracket) perhaps could handle 99.99% of any possible Windows app need.
-Also if the SW exist for ARM Linux, the same could be done by using RPi2 & AEROS inside your favorite system.

They could be connected via ethernet switch to the Amigasystem and use RDesktop/VNC/synergy or SiameseSystemNextGeneration.
(ethernet could be replaced with USB/xorro connection but it would require a lot more work)

Last edited by KimmoK on 11-May-2015 at 08:29 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Desler 
Posted on 11-May-2015 10:43:57
#16 ]

@Hypex
If you still need it. The unpublished version of Cinnamon Writer has reasonable advanced DOCX loading capabilities. It is still in alpha phase, but I could send you the latest build if you want

CygnusEd 
Posted on 11-May-2015 12:33:23
#17 ]

@Hypex

XLSX support is broken in the AmiCygnix version of Gnumeric because of a bug, which is already fixed here. When I have some time I will create an update of this package. But I guess you are not interested in using AmiCygnix anyway??

vulture 
Posted on 11-May-2015 13:00:31
#18 ]

@CygnusEd

It'd be great if you could prepare an update Ed!

cdimauro 
Posted on 11-May-2015 20:06:29
#19 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Quote:

KimmoK wrote:
Stupid idea, but...
-IntelAtom/Baytrail based x86/x64 device in a 3.5" drive slot (or attached to rear card slot bracket) perhaps could handle 99.99% of any possible Windows app need.
-Also if the SW exist for ARM Linux, the same could be done by using RPi2 & AEROS inside your favorite system.

They could be connected via ethernet switch to the Amigasystem and use RDesktop/VNC/synergy or SiameseSystemNextGeneration.
(ethernet could be replaced with USB/xorro connection but it would require a lot more work)

A better idea: why not buying an i3 with high clock frequency to get very good emulation performance, so that WinUAE can run "good enough" even with the PowerPC emulation? It's cheaper and you can also use that PC to run other o.ses at lightning speed.

P.S. A bounty to remove the 128MB limit of OS4 running on Cyberstorm will be very welcome by OS4 fans.

Hypex 
Posted on 12-May-2015 15:56:58
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Xenic

So it does! Though it can't seem to select text but rather gives you a rubber band or whatever it's called in the Amiga world.

I didn't notice bacause I expect to drag text straight away without a need to press a button and complicate it.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle