Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 85 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  11 mins ago
 kolla:  14 mins ago
 Karlos:  30 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  43 mins ago
 matthey:  53 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 32 mins ago
 Luc:  4 hrs 48 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Morphos in UAE
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
g01df1sh 
Morphos in UAE
Posted on 19-May-2015 14:01:30
#1 ]

Hi all

If UAE now has PPC support and os4.1 can be installed. Is there any way Morphos can be installed or would it required Morphos to have some special changes made to make it work?

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Re: Morphos in UAE
Posted on 19-May-2015 15:18:13
#2 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

Not working yet (it halts on startup). However, MorphOS PowerUP licence (still?) forbids use in emulators.

If you want to try MorphOS, why not get cheap old Mac?

g01df1sh 
Posted on 19-May-2015 17:51:42
#3 ]

@pavlor

I already have a PowerBook was just wondering what the status of use and MorphOS was.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

jPV 
Posted on 19-May-2015 18:24:47
#4 ]
Cult Member

MorphOS hasn't supported phase5's accelerators since 1.4.5, and WinUAE only supports those... so, no match for any even semi recent version, even if it wouldn't be against the licence. You'd want some other emulator to fully emulate some supported machine.

kolla 
Posted on 19-May-2015 19:20:25
#5 ]
Elite Member

It's a loss for MorphOS that it isn't possible to run it in a virtualized environment. It's a huge win for those of us still using 3.x that we can run it just about everwhere.

pavlor 
Posted on 19-May-2015 19:54:57
#6 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

There is effort to run MorphOS in QEMU, but progress is slow.

kolla 
Posted on 19-May-2015 21:48:35
#7 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

It's also an effort actively sabotaged by MorphOS devs as far as I understand. Bigfoot had MorphOS running on Qemu years ago, just for the heck of it. Apparently the bootstrapping process of the Quark kernel is considered "weird" by those who have tried to mess with it.

kolla 
Posted on 19-May-2015 21:52:00
#8 ]
Elite Member

Personally I would love to see MorphOS running hosted, natively it lacks all the tools and core features I need, but hosted it provides a nice desktop environment. OTOH, AROS pretty much does the job too, and without need for emulation.

cdimauro 
Posted on 19-May-2015 22:19:39
#9 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:

kolla wrote:

It's also an effort actively sabotaged by MorphOS devs as far as I understand.

I don't understand why.

kolla 
Posted on 19-May-2015 22:42:08
#10 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Me neither, but hey, MorphOS is their hobby, the price users pay is mostly for compansation for all the whining and drama that comes with having users.

Zylesea 
Posted on 19-May-2015 23:06:14
#11 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

While I rather gave up hoping for a MorphOS that runs in Qemu or UAE (I would welcome that very much) I hope that once MorphOS NG (or however the post ISA switch version will be called¹) comes out that version will be useable on a virtualized system. I mean now, with ppc, we would have the ugly speed penalty resulting off the ppc emulation, but once AMD64 native that isn't an issue anymore.
--
¹ I suggest Morphed OS, because I understood the name morphOS as the name that reflects the transition from old (68k) to new. Once arrived on amd64 one could say the transition to new is done and the metamorphosis is complete, hence it isn't morphing, but morphed. Or to stay with the biological terms: Imago OS

kolla 
Posted on 19-May-2015 23:57:09
#12 ]
Elite Member

I am sure MorphOS users don't care so much about the name, hahahaha

cdimauro 
Posted on 20-May-2015 6:20:31
#13 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:

kolla wrote:
@cdimauro

Me neither, but hey, MorphOS is their hobby, the price users pay is mostly for compansation for all the whining and drama that comes with having users.

I agree that it's their product and that they develop for hobby, but they also SELL it. So they have customers, and the better thing is to take care of them with their needs.

Anyway, if I think that they make mistakes with their politics, am I allowed to report my opinion even if the product is not mine?

cdimauro 
Posted on 20-May-2015 6:25:21
#14 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
@kolla

While I rather gave up hoping for a MorphOS that runs in Qemu or UAE (I would welcome that very much)

I greatly recommend QEMU, totally removing the superfluous layer represented by UAE. They already experimented with QEMU, so I don't think that it'll be so much difficult to do it again.
Quote:
I hope that once MorphOS NG (or however the post ISA switch version will be called¹) comes out that version will be useable on a virtualized system. I mean now, with ppc, we would have the ugly speed penalty resulting off the ppc emulation, but once AMD64 native that isn't an issue anymore.

Give the ball to WinUAE for the old 68K software. And forget about PowerPC applications: they will be ported to the new ISA, so there's no need to care about them.
Quote:
--
¹ I suggest Morphed OS, because I understood the name morphOS as the name that reflects the transition from old (68k) to new. Once arrived on amd64 one could say the transition to new is done and the metamorphosis is complete, hence it isn't morphing, but morphed. Or to stay with the biological terms: Imago OS

Who cares about "da name"?

Chain-Q 
Posted on 20-May-2015 10:31:01
#15 ]
Cult Member

@kolla
Quote:
It's also an effort actively sabotaged by MorphOS devs as far as I understand. (...) Apparently the bootstrapping process of the Quark kernel is considered "weird" by those who have tried to mess with it.

Thanks for spreading FUD.

Zoltan Balatoni, IIRC, the guy who tried to get that working last time, contacted MorphOS devs for getting MorphOS running on QEMU. I know, because he is Hungarian, and we had some e-mail exchange after. He considered the lack of any kid of support is a hostile sabotage effort. Which it wasn't, I even told him that.

bigfoot wrote on MorphOS-ML almost exactly a year ago to him:
Quote:
I already explained to you that we do not provide support for unsupported hardware, whether real or emulated. (...) That's all there is to it really. It's like if you came around with a Clamshell Ibook G3 and asked for help getting MorphOS running on it. The answer would be the same: It's not supported. If you get it running, then good for you, but we can't help you with it.

Later, QEMU folks got the kernel working, but then figured it out, MorphOS won't work with a framebuffer, it needs one of the supported graphics cards. I guess that's part of the sabotage effort too... I guess the views of some people can't be helped. Their problem.

Seiya 
Posted on 20-May-2015 10:45:22
#16 ]

however, MOS-Team release a demo version for alls, so what the problems if it runs on real hardware or UAE?
And in the future some UAE users can purchase final version..

Raffaele 
Posted on 20-May-2015 10:49:01
#17 ]

@Seiya

Quote:

Seiya wrote:
however, MOS-Team release a demo version for alls, so what the problems if it runs on real hardware or UAE?
And in the future some UAE users can purchase final version..

MorphOS 0.4 Demoversion requires a software key and MorphOS Team don't release anymore these keys.

Raffaele 
Posted on 20-May-2015 10:54:42
#18 ]

@Thread

I don't understand the meaning of this topic neither the hungarian hacker who asked MorphOS Team how to hack their -COMMERCIAL- product.

Try to ask Apple any help or support on how to hack OS X and build an hackintosh machine with common Intel hardware and they will unleash a horde of lawyers behind your traces with Cease & Desist subpoena intimation.

MorphOS Team has been truly very patient to answer politely to that guy.

Last edited by Raffaele on 20-May-2015 at 10:55 AM.

xzit 
Posted on 20-May-2015 13:11:53
#19 ]

Well this topic was dead before it started.

Quote Bigfoot:
1) MorphOS is not free to use.
2) MorphOS has in one special case been made free to use, and that is if you run it on some very specific hardware.
3) For all other hardware, see point 1.

So it was made free for People owning a Real AmigaHW and not free for anything else.
And don't forget that Powerup developement stopped many years ago making it out of date...
Why would you wan't to run/buy that for emu? ;P

xZiT

Zylesea 
Posted on 20-May-2015 14:06:08
#20 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:

cdimauro wrote:
@Zylesea

Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
@kolla

[quote]I hope that once MorphOS NG (or however the post ISA switch version will be called¹) comes out that version will be useable on a virtualized system. I mean now, with ppc, we would have the ugly speed penalty resulting off the ppc emulation, but once AMD64 native that isn't an issue anymore.

Give the ball to WinUAE for the old 68K software. And forget about PowerPC applications: they will be ported to the new ISA, so there's no need to care about them.

That was not the point. I meant that once MorphOS goes AMD64 a virtualized MorphOS doesn't need the overhead of an emulated processor like it would be now. If you want to run MorphOS of now on your #?AMD64 compatible box you would need an ppc emulator-> ugly speed penalty. If you want to run MorphOS NG (AMD64 native) on your #?AMD64 box all you need would be a virtualization, but no emulation -> no ugly speed penalty.

And yes, I don't think that MorphOS NG requires a ppc emulator necessarily, but hey, let's see it this way: Make current MorphOS ready for QEMU or UAE and you'll have one backwards compability step fullfilled for MorphOS NG (provide a current MorphOS and an Emulation envirionemnt with MorphOS NG).

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle