Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 100 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  7 mins ago
 zipper:  12 mins ago
 bhabbott:  40 mins ago
 Birbo:  48 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 17 mins ago
 Beajar:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 VooDoo:  3 hrs 15 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 31 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  3 hrs 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Gaming
      /  MorphOS code
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
cdimauro 
Re: MorphOS code
Posted on 22-May-2015 20:52:06
#21 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Quote:

KimmoK wrote:
AROS uses a little bit more from x86 linux, because it can.

How?
Quote:
-AROS has been catching up the AOS3.1 API and adding some modernish things at the same time. Because anybody/everybody can update it, it does not seem to have clear roadmap. It just goes forward?

Yes, but Paolo is doing a good job trying to "make a path" with its Icaros "distro". IMO.
Quote:
AROS runs on 68k, PPC, ARM, x86 and x64. Focus has been on x86 and recently heavily also on 68k and ARM, so it's not clear what is their main HW focus in future.

AROS developers support what they want/like.
Quote:
-Microsoft OS dominate (and are remotely usable systems) because it has monopoly and unlimited resources. They control 99,99% of the home computers of this planet. If they do poor OS version, it does not matter because they have monopoly. They afford to support so huge amount of HW because HW manufacturers must do most of the drivers and because they have unlimited resources.

I totally disagree.
Quote:
Microsoft, for example, denied Gateway from further developing Amiga computers. So, any/every of their partners get a threat of loosing the partnership if they do not obey 100%.

Any proof? I mean, not just words spoken by someone: facts.

@KimmoK

Quote:

KimmoK wrote:
@OlafS25

>>"AROS runs on 68k, PPC, ARM, x86 and x64. Focus has been on x86 and recently heavily also on 68k and ARM, so it's not clear what is their main HW focus in future."

>Is that now a advantage or disadvantage?

To me it seems like disadvantage now. I rather see state of the art AmigaLikeNGOS on x64 before yet another version of the old on ARM. IMO, supporting a lot of ISAs make things more difficult. The less variants are supported the system can become more solid (like original amiga or current AppleComputer). Linux supports a lot of ISAs and perhaps that's one of the reasons it's a pile of p** nowdays.

(yesterday my wife stick Nikon high end camera to our LinuxMint64 and the I have to come to reboot it., again. Damnd linux was so good and stable before y2008 or so.)

++
It also could be that running AROS on a interesting ISA/device can be the motivation for some key developer. If it's so, then I accept the waste of resources via multiple ISAs.

Consider that A LOT of bugs were fixed when AROS was ported for 68Ks. It allowed also to selectively change some modules from an original 3.0 or 3.1 Amiga o.s., to better check the compatibility of AROS version. That was an invaluable move.

The x64 port was/is beneficial too, because it allows to test the software with a BIG change: double sized pointers.

Other ports, like the PowerPC one, are IMO a waste of time/resource.

Profile     Report this post  
g01df1sh 
Posted on 22-May-2015 21:07:27
#22 ]

@cdimauro

Microsoft may have the monopoly at the moment but the way they are going I dont think it will be as strong in the home market. Windows 10 last version then they will start going down the subscription road . I will def not be going down the same road with them. Linux and steam will start to gain market share.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

cdimauro 
Posted on 22-May-2015 21:45:19
#23 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh: we'll see. Every year I read the same thing: "this is the year of Linux".

In the meanwhile Microsoft increased is capitalization, even after Windows 8 and Windows Phone...

g01df1sh 
Posted on 22-May-2015 22:04:03
#24 ]

@cdimauro

Well commodore was big it only takes bad management to make a company fall. And i feel this is the start of Microsofts hold on te home market.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

cdimauro 
Posted on 23-May-2015 7:31:42
#25 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh: I don't understand why you think this. Microsoft had bad times with the old management (CEO) due to bad choices (new UI forced on Window 8.x; too late in the mobile market), but with the new one she reverted the bad trend. In fact, and as I already reported, she grew and is growing.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 23-May-2015 19:46:31
#26 ]

@g01df1sh

In addition to what has already been said, MS obviously senses a new breath of air through IOT, which will also impact some dream-targets for "Amiga-ish" operating systems, as proclaimed by some members of this board.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle