Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 124 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  46 mins ago
 vox:  50 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 mbrantley:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 FerruleMedia:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 Dragster:  2 hrs 46 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  It's back... Pre-orders for Commodore: The Amiga Years!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
BigD 
Re: It's back... Pre-orders for Commodore: The Amiga Years!
Posted on 14-Nov-2017 21:07:09
#21 ]
Elite Member

@outrun1978

Quote:
Glad you managed to get it reasonably cheaper. It was being sold at Amiga32 for about 35 euro where I managed to pick up a copy.

What?! Has he just been selling them openly to anyone that wants one ever since his first print batch? He really should have waited to at least SHIP the books out to the backers before allowing his other suppliers to sell the product. IMHO Brian has really leveraged the backers in quite a cynical and hyper-capitalist kind of way. I'm not happy and I think he'd better fund the concluding book in a more traditional 'publishing deal' way as I think the community's good will is running out I've got the e-book version coming but do I want to see if he's learnt his lessons for the 1988-1994 conclusion? Not really. I'd advise people to get the David Pleasance book instead to cover the death of Commodore period as at least that will ship from the UK

Last edited by BigD on 14-Nov-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 14-Nov-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
outrun1978 
Posted on 15-Nov-2017 8:23:16
#22 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

I was just as surprised to see this on sale at the show, in fact I mentioned this in my Amiga32 blog post.

From years gone by its not that unusual for pre-release surprises to appear at shows be it the latest game or new piece of kit, part of the mystique of attending such events is that you will never quite know what will be shown.

Rob 
Posted on 15-Nov-2017 20:17:12
#23 ]
Elite Member

I don't mind that I'll get my copy later than Amiga 32 attendees. I can totally understand companies not wanting to miss out on sales at a big event where many attendees with money in the pocket ready to make some impulse buys.

Brian has given regular updates on the how the book is progressing. Yesterday's update gives some details about the challenges he's faced getting the books sent out to different countries. He's shipping bulk parcels with the individual packets being sent on once they reach the country of destination. The books destined for US backers were shipped just over a week before the show in Neuss. He's been dealing with Royal mail since late September and the less than stellar customer service has made any kind of progress frustratingly slow.

I don't think retailers got some kind of preferential treatment. It's just a whole simpler to send a box full of books and let the retailer deal with getting those out to their customers. It might be as simple as put a new label on one of the boxes that came from the printer. For the backer he has to package and label every single book individually.

BigD 
Posted on 15-Nov-2017 20:48:54
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Most Kickstarter would have prioritised the backers first. As they say in the military, "Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance!" Yes, he's been talking to Royal Mail since September but he still hasn't shipped the UK shipment. He's had TWO YEARS to get all his ducks in a row and he waits until now to get his head round the logistics?! It would be a Christmas miracle if I'm able to read it over Christmas. It's a good job I believe in miracles

Last edited by BigD on 15-Nov-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 15-Nov-2017 at 11:43 PM.

outrun1978 
Posted on 16-Nov-2017 8:39:27
#25 ]
Cult Member

@Rob

Quote:
I don't mind that I'll get my copy later than Amiga 32 attendees. I can totally understand companies not wanting to miss out on sales at a big event where many attendees with money in the pocket ready to make some impulse buys

+1 on this comment, and trust me I wasn't the only person in attendance picking up a whole host of goodies on the day, people were spending quite considerable sums of cash on all sorts of bits and pieces from A1200 mods to copies of new games to hard to find 2nd hand goods.

If anything it goes to show that there is still a market for all sorts of Amiga related goodies and people are willing to pay for it.

BigD 
Posted on 16-Nov-2017 20:08:32
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Rob & outrun1978

Good for everyone in Neuss. I hope they enjoy the exclusive access they got to read The Amiga Years that backers like me paid for. Bravo! They passed Go! and collected £200 just because they were rich enough to jump on a plane to Neuss (rather than put their money up front for a project that was struggling to secure a publisher over a period of around 5 years)! I STILL haven't had ANY confirmation that the UK books have shipped yet. STILL WAITING.....

BigD 
Posted on 16-Nov-2017 20:19:20
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Again, I know it's a digital product and easier to get out to backers quickly but there has been a nearly 99% complete build of Tower 57 to play on the backers' Mac/PC for the last 3 weeks and we all get a DRM-free copy TOMORROW! That's right, a day after the general release the backers get a version that isn't tied to Steam. That is serving the backers and all this despite them getting a publisher on board between being Kickstarted and release that could have restricted this service to backers. That is how you keep Kickstarter backers on side.

Yes, we got wordy rough early drafts of The Amiga Years to read through last Christmas but we haven't got the PDF final version to read now while we wait for delivery because it wasn't prioritised. Brian is hoping that an audio book, some business cards, a poster and a promised e-book of the concluding part of the Amiga Story (that actual does have value) is going to keep us on side. The only thing that is going to do that is to release the PDF to backers IN THE NEXT WEEK and a promise that the UK books are on their way and on track to be delivered before Christmas! That is the very least we deserve.

Last edited by BigD on 16-Nov-2017 at 08:24 PM.

retro 
Posted on 17-Nov-2017 0:29:46
#28 ]

way not make some t shirt copung's ?? hahah

BigD 
Posted on 2-Dec-2017 0:43:35
#29 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

It seems at least some of the UK Kickstarter backers have had their books shipped on Wednesday 29th November! The ball is now in the hands of the courier company (not Royal Mail it seems) and avoiding further hiccups they could well be on track for a pre-Christmas delivery!

Rob 
Posted on 27-Dec-2017 10:19:35
#30 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Just got my book now.

BigD 
Posted on 27-Dec-2017 10:50:39
#31 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Mine is out for delivery today. It's a shame I'm visiting family! This Kickstarter has been a logistical nightmare I'm afraid I've been reading the PDF though. Very good so far!

A1200 
Posted on 27-Dec-2017 11:14:43
#32 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Mine arrived this morning with a hardback book, poster, business cards and bookmark. Weird thing is I don't have it in my kickstarter list. I recall trying to pre-order/pledge through various methods over the years. Could I have got this from another source ?- I am pretty sure I don't have 2 kickstarter accounts - perhaps I ordered it from variantpress.com?

Anyway glad its here. Just waiting to see the purchase/kickstarter for the 3rd and final book now.

Ta,

Mike

Amiboy 
Posted on 27-Dec-2017 13:07:19
#33 ]

@A1200

My copy has been delivered to my Mums, so will be getting my hands on it later.

Will also be looking out for the next kickstarter campaign.

A1200, Power Tower, TF1260 128MB RAM, 68060 Rev 6, OS3.9 BB2, HD-Floppy, Mediator TX+ PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Soundblaster 4.1, TV Card, Spider USB, 100MBit Ethernet, 16GB CF HD, 52xCDRom.

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Dec-2017 14:16:05
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Amiboy

That's a good way to ensure you visit your mother during the Christmas period.

BigD 
Posted on 28-Dec-2017 8:58:05
#35 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

I managed to coax MyHermes into asking my neighbour to take receipt of the parcel rather than leave it out in the rain. The first webchat indicating my delivery preferences were not passed onto the courier due to "technical difficulties" and it was only because I webchatted again in the afternoon that they then sent a message to the delivery driver's scanner! I guess the system kinda works though you have to expedite it yourself

Last edited by BigD on 28-Dec-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 28-Dec-2017 at 12:18 PM.

cap 
Posted on 28-Dec-2017 9:09:11
#36 ]

@thread

Through rain and snow my copy arrived yesterday,the parcel looking slightly sodden but its contents survived.
I`ve had a quick look through as i will leave the good read till later.

OS4.1 latest update.
1ghz Radeon Club3d 9250
Usb/Dma fixed.

BigD 
Posted on 31-Dec-2017 18:36:03
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

The book was waiting safe and sound for me with a neighbour on my return. MyHermes did a good job and Brian Bagnall finally delivered and just in time for a new year!

Happy New Year to all Amigans especially the backers that made this great book possible!

P.S. The Amiga Corporation business cards with my name on them were an absolutely amazing backers treat and all is forgiven Brian. Not sure what to do with my Fat Angus poster but that and the bookmark are cool

g01df1sh 
Posted on 31-Dec-2017 23:19:53
#38 ]

@BigD

I got a copy for Christmas from my girlfriend. It's been a good read so far and am looking forward to getting David's book sometime in the New year

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle