Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 66 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Tpod

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Tpod:  1 secs ago
 michalsc:  18 mins ago
 number6:  43 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  53 mins ago
 Djk83:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 55 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 9 mins ago
 Hypex:  3 hrs 23 mins ago
 AndreasM:  3 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga in the News -Popular Mechanics
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
tommywright 
Amiga in the News -Popular Mechanics
Posted on 29-May-2015 1:21:12
#1 ]

I ran across this today. Didn't see it posted here yet...

Amiga is Alive and Well and Somehow Able to Run This 'Minecraft' Clone
Popular Mechanics Link

I haven't been here in ages! How is Amiga land?

Profile     Report this post  
amigadave 
Re: Amiga in the News -Popular Mechanics
Posted on 29-May-2015 8:06:21
#2 ]

@tommywright

I think my first ever introduction to the Amiga was from a Popular Mechanic's magazine article, either right before it was released for sale to the public, or immediately afterwards. I'd love to find a digital copy of that original article today somewhere.

Thanks for the link and the heads up. Nothing has changed around here.

klx300r 
Posted on 29-May-2015 12:53:11
#3 ]
Elite Member

@tommywright

so cool we have 'our secret world' and now a pop culture game like Minecraft brings it into a main stream publication like Popular Mechanics go figure lol

Our clan members are everywhere

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

scabit 
Posted on 31-May-2015 12:29:17
#4 ]

@tommywright

Amiga may be on life support...but it is still "alive"!
Good to see this!

Scott

Kicko 
Posted on 31-May-2015 21:15:43
#5 ]
Elite Member

We now also have warp3d for at least some of the Radeon HD generations. Had to buy 7750 as 6850 arent any 3d drivers for yet. Then thers MOS 3.8 that now works on SAM460. I think theres work on MOS for X5000 too. Then theres AEON that buys source and rights for old programs like octamed, tunenet, aladin 4d, imagefx etc.

Except for that its pretty dry in the world of amiga. I would like to see os4.2 and octamed (ported) :)

Last edited by Kicko on 31-May-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Drewlio77 
Posted on 1-Jun-2015 5:18:54
#6 ]
Cult Member

@Kicko

I tried Morph OS 3.8 on my SAM 460 and was.... disappointed.

I had to reinstall my 6450 since the 7750 I had installed for OS 4.1f FE 3D support was not supported by Morph OS 3.8. It gets worse, for the 6450 I do have, there is no 2D or 3D acceleration either. No 2D acceleration? Really? The desktop is slow as hell when trying to open, close and move windows. I could imagine the pain if I tried to run a Web Browser. To get better graphics support I would have to get a Radeon X1xxx series card (or even older).

This may seem a bit harsh, since this is my first experience with MOS, but I don't see why this version of an Amiga compatible OS is so popular. Then again I know why I have always stuck with OS 4.x, because it is the Amiga OS, hands down.

If nothing else, MOS has made me appreciate my SAM 460ex with OS 4.1 a whole lot more.

Drewlio77

Last edited by Drewlio77 on 01-Jun-2015 at 05:21 AM.

klx300r 
Posted on 1-Jun-2015 7:11:33
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Drewlio77

thanks for the update but are you sure you posted in the right thread as this one is about a mention in PM about a Minecraft port to the AmigaOS4.1FE ??

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

RobertB 
Posted on 1-Jun-2015 7:37:07
#8 ]

Scott wrote:
Quote:
Amiga may be on life support...but it is still "alive"!

At this year's Bay Area Maker Faire 2015 where we had our Nostalgic Computers exhibit, we had hundreds and hundreds of people come through. Among the computers to use, we had a Commodore 128DCR and an Amiga 3000. Next to the computers, I had flyers for the Commodore Vegas Expo v11 2015, Amiga 30th Anniversary celebration at the Computer History Museum, Amiwest Show 2015, the AmigaOne X1000, the Fresno Commodore User Group, and Ray Carlsen Electronics.

When the attendees looked at the flyers, many said, "I didn't know that Amiga shows were still around" and "I didn't know that new hardware and software was being developed for the Amiga." With a smile, I told them about the shows, A-EON and AmigaKit, and the clubs we have in California for user support -- FCUG, SCCAN, TOGA, and SACC. Many of them told me they had big-box Amigas sitting in storage, and I strongly urged them to pull those old Ni-Cad batteries on those machines.

It was good to talk to the general public,
FCUG celebrating 33 years,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
July 18-19 Commodore Vegas Expo v11 2015 -
http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

Raffaele 
Posted on 1-Jun-2015 7:44:41
#9 ]

@Thread

It is only me who read the article at Popular Mechanics as a joke laughing at back of Amigans and how pitiful is our platform uncapable to run a full functioning Minecraft clone?

My smartphone does not load the comments of the article. What is their tone? Laughing or astonished that Amiga is still alive?

Last edited by Raffaele on 01-Jun-2015 at 07:45 AM.

Hans 
Posted on 1-Jun-2015 9:31:51
#10 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Quote:

Raffaele wrote:
@Thread

It is only me who read the article at Popular Mechanics as a joke laughing at back of Amigans and how pitiful is our platform uncapable to run a full functioning Minecraft clone?

I think that it's just you. The article sounds like the author is impressed with what he acknowledges is a work in progress. Simon's is still working on it. In fact, I don't recall seeing any zombies in the alpha I tested just a few weeks ago. So that's a recent addition.

Quote:
My smartphone does not load the comments of the article. What is their tone? Laughing or astonished that Amiga is still alive?

Don't worry, nobody's laughing at us. Franko did post a comment, though.

Hans

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 1-Jun-2015 12:07:13
#11 ]
Cult Member

@tommywright

I actually saved two articles from PM back in 1991. The first was a comparison of Phillip's CDI and Commodore CDTV (the slight edge was given to CDI, even though it could not be expanded into a full computer). The second article dealt with the advancement of video games in terms of graphics and play. In that article, the Amiga was still king.

Raffaele 
Posted on 1-Jun-2015 12:30:44
#12 ]

@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:
@Raffaele

Quote:

Raffaele wrote:
@Thread

I think that it's just you. The article sounds like the author is impressed with what he acknowledges is a work in progress. Simon's is still working on it. In fact, I don't recall seeing any zombies in the alpha I tested just a few weeks ago. So that's a recent addition.

Quote:

Don't worry, nobody's laughing at us. Franko did post a comment, though.

Hans

I just loaded article with MacMini and MorphOS OWB so I was capable to read comments, and no I completely disagree with Franko.

Classic Amiga runners are nowadays lesser than PPC users.

Those who still have Amigas 68xxx use it mainly for games and the few videomakers that own a Videotoaster (and insist to use it despite TV resolution is now HD 1920x1080) and those who play games are rapidly abandoning classic hardware for more pratical WinUAE that is easier to use on the PC at home than connecting old Amigas to modern LCD-LED TV sets.

Last edited by Raffaele on 01-Jun-2015 at 12:33 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 1-Jun-2015 13:26:30
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:

I think he's been spurred on by the release of the Warp3D Radeon SI driver.

Need to check it out again myself. A lot had changed since I last had an explore around in Amicraft.

Rob 
Posted on 1-Jun-2015 18:42:00
#14 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Alpha 5 over Amicraft was uploaded to OS4 Depot today. make sure you download and test it and leave some feedback in the comments section there. Already found and reported a bug.

Tomas 
Posted on 1-Jun-2015 19:28:55
#15 ]
Elite Member

@tommywright
And as usual the trolls are in comments spreading lies about how no Amigans are using ppc systems..
I really wonder how this community survived this long considering how fucking rotten it is.
After all these years there are still fanwars between each camp.

Would think 99% of would be far into adulthood now and yet this community act like a bucnh of 15 year old kids.

Tomas 
Posted on 1-Jun-2015 19:31:29
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Hans
Quote:

The last video he uploaded was only 2 days ago as well.

amigadave 
Posted on 1-Jun-2015 21:51:11
#17 ]

@Drewlio77

Quote:

Drewlio77 wrote:

This may seem a bit harsh, since this is my first experience with MOS, but I don't see why this version of an Amiga compatible OS is so popular. Then again I know why I have always stuck with OS 4.x, because it is the Amiga OS, hands down.

If nothing else, MOS has made me appreciate my SAM 460ex with OS 4.1 a whole lot more.

Drewlio77

This flamebait crap is so childish and unnecessary, it just shows how immature you are and also how uninformed, or that you are intentionally trying to stir up trouble, as well as being way off topic.

Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 1-Jun-2015 21:51:28
#18 ]

@Tomas

Quote:

Tomas wrote:
@tommywright
And as usual the trolls are in comments spreading lies about how no Amigans are using ppc systems..
I really wonder how this community survived this long considering how fucking rotten it is.
After all these years there are still fanwars between each camp.

Would think 99% of would be far into adulthood now and yet this community act like a bucnh of 15 year old kids.

No Amiga uses PPC as primary CPU. As a coprocessor on an add-on card on the other hand, there may be some that uses.... It's you with your camps that is in a way rotten.

I wonder when people will grow up and realize it was game over twenty years ago.

Last edited by Hillbillylitre on 01-Jun-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Using: One Commodore C64 - One Commodore Amiga 500 - One Commodore Amiga 1200 with BVision and Blizzard 68060 with PPC coprocessor running Amiga DOS - One Hellbillylitre Amigatwox86x64x6000x running Windows7

Raffaele 
Posted on 1-Jun-2015 22:00:54
#19 ]

@Thread

I just commented the article on Popular Mechanics.

Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 1-Jun-2015 22:19:44
#20 ]

Besides, its a little strange that someone brags about PPC AmigaOne OS4 can run Minecraft when even Raspberry Pi can do it, it even looks like RP has much higher framerate and image quality?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnbWQM1g43I

If it was real Amiga 68k it had been something else. BTW, what the helll is Minecraft?

Using: One Commodore C64 - One Commodore Amiga 500 - One Commodore Amiga 1200 with BVision and Blizzard 68060 with PPC coprocessor running Amiga DOS - One Hellbillylitre Amigatwox86x64x6000x running Windows7

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle