Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 97 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  1 min ago
 amigakit:  7 mins ago
 corb0:  13 mins ago
 zipper:  14 mins ago
 kolla:  16 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 ktadd:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs ago
 MichaelMerkel:  2 hrs 32 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Memory for AmigaOne XE and OS 4.1 FE
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
nzv58l 
Memory for AmigaOne XE and OS 4.1 FE
Posted on 1-Jul-2015 16:02:01
#1 ]

I am having a bit of an issue with installing OS 4.1 FE and I am turning my attention to the memory as a possible culprit.

With that being said, I would like to know if anyone has OS 4.1 FE installed on an AmigaOne XE that is working 100%?

I have looked on Intuition base, but they only mention OS 4 and are not very specific about which version.

Seems that AmigaOnes are very touchy with memory, so I would like to have the best chance of ruling out Ram as the issue.

Profile     Report this post  
Rob 
Re: Memory for AmigaOne XE and OS 4.1 FE
Posted on 1-Jul-2015 16:20:31
#2 ]
Elite Member

@nzv58l

Where you have issues before trying to install FE?

A1 XE is picky but mainly if you're using more than 1 stick.

nzv58l 
Posted on 1-Jul-2015 17:18:55
#3 ]

@Rob

My issue is really frustrating. I have attached to my machine One HD plugged into the first port of a Sii0680 card, One DVD/CD rom plugged into the second port. Onboard IDE disabled.

I have the disk for OS 4.0 update 4. Created a small single partition on it and formatted and installed OS 4.0 update 4 on it. I can reboot from the HD and it works 100% of the time reboot after reboot.

Now here is the interesting part. Using the same setup, same partition and same filesystem( I have tried some others with same result). Reformatted and installed OS 4.1 FE without any issues yet. However, when I reboot with the cd out of the drive. ( I have CD/DVD as first boot, then HD as second boot and none for third choice for booting). The Kickstart runs and then it fades in the AmigaOne 4.1 FE splash screen and then stops with the splash screen still displayed. Reboot after reboot it still stops at that screen. I have been working on this for over a month now. I have UBOOT 1.1.1 which is the latest for my machine. Now the OS 4.1 FE CD allows me to boot into OS 4.1 without issue even though it prompts me a few times telling me it can not write to the CD... The other thing is that I have looked at the serial output and I have setup messages in my Startup-sequence to see where it is dying. My startup-sequence does not get executed at all.

Now if that is not interesting enough I found that if I create a SWAP partition then it will boot from the HD and I see that the messages I sent from the startup-sequence are saved to a logfile I created...(at this point I thought I had fixed it).., reboot again and it stops at the same spot again and reboot after reboot it will not start.

Whatever issue this is, I have no issue installing and booting from OS 4.0 update 4 and have no issue booting from the OS 4.1 FE cd into workbench, but the after installing OS 4.1 FE it will not let me boot unless I create or delete the SWAP volume. I even tried recreating it, but that did not work.

I have solicited others that have the same machine and same IDE sii00680 that they have installed OS 4.1 FE without issue so I guess I am the lucky owner of a unique AmigaOne XE/G4.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 1-Jul-2015 17:25:23
#4 ]
Elite Member

@nzv58l

Maybe a dying clock battery, its normal that computer starts acting a bit strange before it stops booting and your presented with black screen of scary void.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 01-Jul-2015 at 05:25 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 1-Jul-2015 17:34:51
#5 ]
Elite Member

@nzv58l

Normal if the system does not boot, it is often caused, by not loading the OS files from right partition or the kickstart not loaded from the correct location.

First thing to check, is that NO AmigaOS4.0 partitions most be bootable, if you most have OS4.0 partitions, there is guide to setup multi boot on your system, check out sys:documents directory.

Check boot priorities, if you most have backup partitions with the bootable flag, use a negative boot priority like -1 or something.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 01-Jul-2015 at 05:35 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 1-Jul-2015 17:41:13
#6 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
Maybe a dying clock battery, its normal that computer starts acting a bit strange before it stops booting and your presented with black screen of scary void.

It wouldn't explain why the 4.0 partion and the CD always boots and the FE partition never fully boots.

Was just writing up a response but now see you've pretty much covered what I was going to reply with anyway.

He should may be able to access the early boot menu and select which partition to boot after the kick modules have loaded.

nzv58l 
Posted on 1-Jul-2015 17:48:51
#7 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

I already thought of that. I had a battery in when I started the install and it was down to 3.032 volts, so I replaced it with at new one which is l think like 3.3??? volts.

Good guess though. This think eats batteries like no other, always keep plenty on hand.

nzv58l 
Posted on 1-Jul-2015 18:26:03
#8 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

There are no other partitions at all. I started with only a small partition with the rest of the drive uninitialized. There is only One Disk and One CD/DVD on the system. I reformatted the OS 4.0 partition before 4.1 FE.

I have been working on this over at the Hyperion forum so there is a lot of things I already tried, but thank you for the reply.

nzv58l 
Posted on 1-Jul-2015 18:38:20
#9 ]

@Rob

I'll have to give that another try, I am not at my machine right now, but I didn't seem to be able to get to the boot menu with holding down both mouse buttons. I am not even sure if it is making it that far into the boot process. Also, there is really only one partition to boot from. There really should be no choice about it.

Another thing I was thinking about is that this drive is one of a collection of pretty old IDE drives I have. Is there a chance that OS4.1 is trying to use this at a faster pace than what the drive is capable of? OS 4.0 may not be taking advantage of the drives speed as much as OS 4.1, and the CD may be much more tolerant. I also tried a Sii3114 SATA card with a SSD, but had the same issue. I have another Sii3112 SATA card that may be a little more compatible on the way that I will try out later.

KimmoK 
Posted on 1-Jul-2015 18:46:41
#10 ]
Elite Member

@nzv58l

> I would like to know if anyone has OS 4.1 FE installed on an AmigaOne XE that is working 100%?

IIRC, Dan Wood has XE & FE ... ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx3uszPPARA

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Paul 
Posted on 1-Jul-2015 21:40:53
#11 ]
Cult Member

@nzv58l

When you reformatted the drive from 4.0 did you also install the newer SLB from the 4.1 CD to the HD?

You can't boot from a SiI 3114. Been there, tried that.

That being said, I have 4.1FE running on my 2GB A1-XE G4. I had issues with a failed SiI3112 a while back, but a new 3112 card has fixed that.

Good luck!

Paul

PS: PM me if you wish. . . where in Michigan?

Last edited by Paul on 01-Jul-2015 at 09:42 PM.

nzv58l 
Posted on 2-Jul-2015 14:12:56
#12 ]

@Paul

I have even tried different file systems. I did forget to put the new SLB on this last test, so I will do that this weekend. I have tried it from scratch before with the smart file system 00 which is what I would like to use for my system and the new SLB.

Last night I tried lowering my buss speed to 100 MHz to see if that would make a difference, but same thing again.

I just got my sil3112 SATA card, but I could not try it because I have to get a new battery again... I started to notice that my UBOOT settings were not taking. Removed the battery and checked voltage. Was a 3.1 volts. This battery was a new one I replaced a week ago. I think this calls for a different solution.

nzv58l 
Posted on 2-Jul-2015 15:27:35
#13 ]

I also found out that I think my board is an early one. I have the sound chip on the board. I don't know if this makes any difference, but I remember when I ordered it, it was just before OS 4 was ready to be released.

Paul 
Posted on 3-Jul-2015 0:51:30
#14 ]
Cult Member

@nzv58l

Sound chip on the board won't make any difference for your booting problem. Mine has the chip too.

What might be different is that I have both the DMA and USB motherboard fixes on mine. But in reality, I don't think that would make the difference either.

Are you using PS/2 mouse and keyboard connectors to the motherboard?

Paul

Last edited by Paul on 03-Jul-2015 at 12:52 AM.

Morphix 
Posted on 3-Jul-2015 3:40:53
#15 ]

I first thought that it was a boot priority issue.

Since you mention you have set this ok, I think that if you install the latest SLB, you would be able to boot FE correctly.

Sam 440EP, AmigaOne XE,
MacMini PPC, PowerMac G4, G5

hotrod 
Posted on 3-Jul-2015 11:53:43
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Paul

I got an A1 XE without the fixes and using an USB-hub, SII0680, SII3512 (I think it is) cards and have no problems.

Since the splash-screen appears it starts kickstart so the early startup-menu should be available from holding down both mouse-buttons or pressing the help-key (I think it's?)...

Could it be that the wrong monitor-settings has been choosen during install? Sorry, I'm not of much help, I got AOS 4.1 FE as the only OS and I didn't have any issues. I did save the Radeon-file from sys:devs/monitors though from my previous install and copied it back but I could boot to Workbench right after the install too so... I have no idea really. But the fixes for the A1 XE shouldn't matter.

Robert 
Posted on 3-Jul-2015 15:19:08
#17 ]
Cult Member

@nzv58l

Quote:
I would like to know if anyone has OS 4.1 FE installed on an AmigaOne XE that is working 100%?

I have it installed and working.
As to whether it is working 100%, I have no idea but I have not run into any major issues.
Having said that, I've barely switched it on since getting OS4.1FE; probably under 10 hours total use so far.

Abel Soul - Check out our tunes on Spotify

nzv58l 
Posted on 6-Jul-2015 15:55:11
#18 ]

@Paul

Yes, I am using both a PS2 keyboard and mouse in their respective ports.

nzv58l 
Posted on 6-Jul-2015 15:58:34
#19 ]

@Morphix

I have installed the one off of the OS 4.1 FE CD. I don't have access to any other versions of 4.1, also, I was able to boot once off of the HD after creating a SWAP partition on the same drive, but it only worked once and then did not work after that.

nzv58l 
Posted on 6-Jul-2015 16:28:12
#20 ]

@hotrod

It is in one way good to see that someone else has a similar set up and does run OS 4.1 FE. In another way, it makes me unique and in IT unique is not usually a good thing.

I did have some monitor issues early on, and had to reset, but the reason why I am not thinking it is monitor settings is because I am using the default in the install and I have used three different graphics cards, two AGPs and one PCI. Also, I think if it was a graphics issue it wouldn't still be displaying the AmigaOS 4.1 fe splash screen.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle