Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 138 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  2 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  43 mins ago
 djnick:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 17 mins ago
 Hammer:  4 hrs 28 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 9 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  5 hrs 13 mins ago
 pixie:  5 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Sound in AHI, but no sound anything else.
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
nzv58l 
Sound in AHI, but no sound anything else.
Posted on 5-Aug-2015 4:22:08
#1 ]

I know I am missing something simple. However, when I go into prefs and launch the AHI, I can hit the "play a test sound" and I can hear the sound under EMU10kx:HiFi 16 bit stereo ++. Then under the sound prefs I can not hear anything, or in any other applications either. I have an AmigaOne XE with a SoundBlaster Pro. It used to work under 4.0 FE, but I started fresh under OS 4.1 fe and now no sound. I haven't set up an Amiga in a while so I forgot what I need to do to make things work.

Profile     Report this post  
salass00 
Re: Sound in AHI, but no sound anything else.
Posted on 5-Aug-2015 8:31:03
#2 ]
Elite Member

@nzv58l

Did you remember to configure "Unit 0" as well or did you just configure the so called "Music Unit"? If it's the latter then that's your problem.

BTW I recommend setting "Music Unit" to redirect to "Unit 0" so that programs that use it don't block sound in all other programs while they are running.

Last edited by salass00 on 05-Aug-2015 at 08:34 AM.

Deniil715 
Posted on 5-Aug-2015 11:06:19
#3 ]
Elite Member

@nzv58l

With a soundblaster you also might need to set the volume using the Mixer.

nzv58l 
Posted on 6-Aug-2015 5:19:24
#4 ]

@salass00

Your probably hitting the nail on the head here, but where do I configure Unit 0 at and how do you redirect the Music Unit to Unit 0?

Dandy 
Posted on 6-Aug-2015 7:00:00
#5 ]
Elite Member

@nzv58l

Quote:

nzv58l wrote:
@salass00

Your probably hitting the nail on the head here, but where do I configure Unit 0 at and how do you redirect the Music Unit to Unit 0?

Have you tried the AHI settings?

Dandy

salass00 
Posted on 6-Aug-2015 8:10:37
#6 ]
Elite Member

@nzv58l

Just select "Unit 0" in the gadget that says "Music unit" in AHI prefs:

ggw 
Posted on 7-Aug-2015 3:00:07
#7 ]

@salass00

I, also, was wondering what was meant by "redirect". I just don't recall there having been a UNIT 0 among the selections from my AmigaOne days.

Jeez, how often do I need to go *back* to stuff I thought I knew, to see if its been modified?

It is kind-of-nice to keep running into new things frequently, but that "self discovery" business is sure hit-or-miss.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out the "redirection" possibilities.

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

nzv58l 
Posted on 7-Aug-2015 3:00:50
#8 ]

@salass00

Thank you!

My Amiga has a voice now....

lylehaze 
Posted on 7-Aug-2015 3:52:42
#9 ]

@salass00

That's my favorite example of a poor GUI choice.

There should be a separate tab for each unit, which would make a lot more sense visually.

:)

Hypex 
Posted on 7-Aug-2015 16:38:08
#10 ]
Elite Member

@lylehaze

I think AHI is a bit of a mess. It has these different units which are of no interest to the casual user. I mean, who wants to play with all of that? They are advanced settings and should be in an advanced section. Then there is AHI locking out programs using the music unit for no good reason. And that fake "Unit 0" device audio which reduces quality.

All AHI drivers should have a default setting that just works. Just like sound did on the real thing. No setup. No mixers. Oh and AHI had a Paula driver as well.

I recently found out that my X1000 has no sound. At first I thought it was Linux. Then I heard nothing in OS4. And read it's been working for two years. Fiddled with AHI, no sound. I suppose it's that damn Mixer I need!

See, too complicated.

1Mouse 
Posted on 7-Aug-2015 18:06:56
#11 ]

@all

So what could be the cause of the audio stuttering I'm suffering with?

I am using Best Connectivity PCI-E 7.1 Multi Channel Audio Sound Card (I believe same as Epsilon).

Within seconds of turning my Sam460cr on the Splash Screen audio starts stuttering and this stops when I move my mouse.

Once Workbench has loaded I try to play an MP3 which after a few seconds starts stuttering, again, once mouse moved it stops for a second or two and then the stuttering comes back.

I am unable to find the issue, I have tried other sound cards which gave no audio at all.

HELP!!!

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

lylehaze 
Posted on 8-Aug-2015 2:46:20
#12 ]

@Hypex

What follows is my opinion, and is not to be confused with fact. :)

AHI is the very definition of a "mixed blessing".
It is supported across the board, in AmigaOS and as far as I know every Amiga inspired OS that we have. That is an amazing accomplishment in itself. Big-endian, little-endian, 68K, PPC, x86, whatever variation you are running, AHI is there.

And considering its age and diversity, it works quite well most of the time.

But that compatibility has come at quite some cost. There have been a fair few suggestions to improve or update AHI. But there's very real limits how far someone could go. Every change that you make to AHI runs the risk of breaking compatibility. The more you change, the harder it gets to keep it backward compatible. And since every bit of audio software we have expects AHI "as it was".. and has to work with the existing assortment of hardware drivers.. and then try to compile your changes for all the various platforms. It will take a lot to accomplish that.

I have experimented with one of the most abused parts of AHI.. Every program is given it's own volume control. Some programs use them correctly, some other programs completely ignore the volume control and expect the user to use "mixer" instead. This has become a bit of a messed up nightmare, especially for sound cards or S/PDIF outputs that Mixer cannot control the volume of. I have successfully modified AHI to expose the volume controls of ALL programs. This neatly solves the problem in a multitasking-friendly way. It is not a HUGE change, but it solves a real problem in a very compatible way. The trouble is, I created it by patching AHI using SetMethod(), but I never actually compiled the changes into AHI itself.

Another issue is about cross-compiling. I have not yet been able to compile AHI natively on AmigaOS. I'd love to make a few changes, but it's not worth cross-compiling from my netbook to do it. I am much happier if I stay in the AmigaOS environment while I work.

I have a "wish list" for a new audio system, and features I'd like it to support. Two of those features are the ability to capture from AHI and to output to AHI. With those in place the new system could
be connected to all the existing programs, and it would finally allow expansion beyond the limits that AHI comes with. It seems to me the only way to go forward unencumbered by the past, but still able to co-exist with it.

And about the "NemoSound" mixer for the X-1000, I never meant it to be something anyone was eventually required to get. I tried to get as many of the newer features of the X1000 sound chip working with AHI, but there were too many quirks. For instance: I am playing my MP3 player from the line input, which is mixed with the Amiga(AHI) audio being played back.. and it works. But every time another program opens AHI for whatever reason, the MP3 volume gets reset.. Just AHI being annoying. I "fixed it" by separating the MP3 monitor completely from the AHI audio system. That worked great, but by design it could not be added to Mixer. :(

Wow. I've just been typing away for an hour now. I talk too much.

All of the above is opinion. I am always open for discussion, and I reserve the right to be wrong.

Hypex 
Posted on 8-Aug-2015 17:30:11
#13 ]
Elite Member

@1Mouse

What audio mode? Does a generic 16-bit 44.1Khz mode stutter as much any better mode?

Also, does it happen with the built in audio? (Assuming it has some.)

1Mouse 
Posted on 9-Aug-2015 8:53:33
#14 ]

@Hypex

Hi,

It's a Sam460cr. CR so no onboard anything.

I knew what I was getting into when I purchased the board but thought if I couldn't figure it out someone on here could.

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

Boot_WB 
Posted on 9-Aug-2015 11:34:47
#15 ]

@lylehaze

Interesting insights as always, and. I totally agree with your prior post regarding AHI prefs layout. :)

I guess you'll have talked in depth with Davey W, since he followed a similar line of interest, and will have no doubt considered similar issues.

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Aug-2015 15:19:36
#16 ]
Elite Member

@lylehaze

Wow, I'm not the only one who can take time converting brain patterns to speech.

It's funny to think that AHI has limitations given it was created to remove limitations and offer a more easy and more modern audio API. Especially given it was wrtiten with sound cards in mind. But still as easy to program as audio.device was for doing a double buffered stream.

In reality compatibility shouldn't be a problem as Amiga libraries are designed bo be backwards compatible. The programmer just has to include support in the API and manage it internally as he sees fit. We've also seen a few versions of the old AHI over the years.

In theory we could modify the OS4 AHI version as we see fit. It only needs to be be compatible with OS4 after all. Provided it's easy enough to manage. I think the Mixer confused things a lot. Linux may have needed a mixer but it is foreign to AmigaOS. Amigas had sound cards and I don't recall there being any mixer propgrams needed even though the audio was on a seperate output to the Amiga itself. Though I never had one myself. The settings are set in AHI. That's where it should stay. In fact full blast on the line out is perfectly fine for me! Like a normal computer.

As to compiling I hear you. I've posted a few times about trying to simply compile the EMu10K driver, and the day I finally got no errors with an executable to test, I was rewarded with a crash!

Personally I think the core AHI files need to be imported and a fresh set of clean make files created for them. As well as OS4 defines in source cleaned up. It really needs to compile with a current SDK out of the box without hacking it like a Linux port. Especially for drivers. I'll think about that. I mean, we have standard tools like idltool to create skeleton source for a library or device. Perhaps the best thing would be to use this to recreate the AHI library and device drivers with base code then cleanly combine it with the core AHI source files it depends on. For a totally clean build.

Regarding a new audio system. I recall AHI was competing with another standard. But because it lost out I forget the name. History is written by the victors perhaps.

Thnaks for the reminder about NemoSound. That must be it. I haven't checked but while on the subject, have all the "Finding Nemo" jokes calmed down by now?

Last edited by Hypex on 11-Aug-2015 at 03:36 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Aug-2015 15:47:35
#17 ]
Elite Member

@1Mouse

Almost sounds like the sound buffer is too small for the card. Then again if that were so you'd usually hear looping. As I noticed sound cards tend to work like an Amiga, they loop the sound around, unless they are told different.

These sound files/MP3s. Are they 44.1KHz? And is your AHI unis set to 44.1KHz playback frequency?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 11-Aug-2015 16:09:57
#18 ]
Elite Member

@lylehaze

It be nice if AHI supported float, right now I most convert to big endian int, in mplayer before its sent to AHI, the right now float to int conversion, has this cost, 320us on optimized assembler code.

With AltiVec it is 88us, optimized assembler code can do it in 320us (64000 bytes), that’s on X1000.
*dest++ = (*src++ * scale);

I bet the same things is happens in AHI to mix the sound to set the audio volume, so we are wasting CPU cycles here.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 11-Aug-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 11-Aug-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 11-Aug-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 11-Aug-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 11-Aug-2015 at 04:10 PM.

Massi 
Posted on 12-Aug-2015 8:21:04
#19 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Operations based on "float" are notably slower than "int", I guess this is why AHI currently only supports integers for samples.

Supporting floating point numbers, from samples down to mixing, wouldn' t give any speed boost.

KimmoK 
Posted on 12-Aug-2015 15:39:16
#20 ]
Elite Member

Almost related.

Is there official plan to get AOS beyond AHI to surround sounds era?

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle