Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 107 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 fordprefect:  14 mins ago
 matthey:  14 mins ago
 redfox:  15 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Why Amiga OS on none Amiga Hardware?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
PosterThread
olegil 
Re: Why Amiga OS on none Amiga Hardware?
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 8:08:23
#41 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Troll tells third party developer he should be ashamed. Nice. That must've hurt

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Profile     Report this post  
KimmoK 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 8:13:47
#42 ]
Elite Member

@Severin

>Harddisk support was all 3rd party until 3.1, I remember upgrading my roms in '94 and not having to boot from a floppy first to start the harddrive.

1.3 enabled the booting from harddisk. My A2000 in 1989 booted to HDD without floppy, same for my friends A500+A590. ((Another friend was using A500&parnet to PC, he needed the floppy to use the HDD from the PC.))

With 2.0 one got support for normal IDE drives.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

LimoU.Sin 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 9:11:34
#43 ]

@olegil

Quote:

olegil wrote:
@NutsAboutAmiga

Troll tells third party developer he should be ashamed. Nice. That must've hurt

Always better to be a Troll than a banana that never learns...

I wrote "third-party HOBBY developers" can you see the difference? Because it's not third party hobbyist who have the responsibility for making hardware resources available for other third-party developer.

It's many years since I saw that "what is X" ridiculous nonsense.

I checked to see if OS4 was worth buying around 2004 but it didn't support the hardware properly then and even still doesn't support the hardware properly.

Many years have passed and OS4 is still at the same "biological" stage.

gareth_k 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 11:03:29
#44 ]

@KimmoK wrote:
Quote:
Amiga became PowerPC in late 90's when 68k development stopped.
If commodore had not died Amiga would have gone RISC anyway.

Various news items in late 93/early 94 Amiga mags suggested Commodore were planning to launch a RISC-based Windows NT machine, with speculation that this could mean the end of the Amiga platform. However, there's no evidence that they'd allocated funds to port the Amiga OS to a RISC platform, as far as I'm aware.

olegil 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 11:27:11
#45 ]
Elite Member

@gareth_k

m68k development had halted, so they would have HAD to. Or x86, but I think we both know how well THAT would've been received by the community

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

KimmoK 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 11:30:34
#46 ]
Elite Member

@gareth_k

After reading about CBM (new) management actions around 1991...1993, yes, there was 50/50 chance that they would have done RISC based Windows NT "Amiga", just to continue with what did not work any more (their PC sales was not profitable since years).
+ CBM management never knew what they had with Amiga?

CBM was interested in HP PA-RISC. IIRC, HP manufactured other chips for CBM allready.

Last edited by KimmoK on 10-Aug-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 10-Aug-2015 at 11:32 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Trixie 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 13:09:03
#47 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@wawa

Quote:
certainly not. must be some os4 anticipation;) ... you are inventing stories to make os4 look better in comparison, i sense.

I've gone through Severin's posts in this thread, and he hasn't mentioned or referred to OS4 at all. So why are YOU mentioning it? Although Severin is apparently wrong about the harddisk support before OS3.1, what has this to do with OS4???

Is it too hard for you to make a single post without your usual OS4 slag?

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

wawa 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 13:21:17
#48 ]
Elite Member

@SACC-dude

Quote:
commodore sold (thru Creative Computing) the 1200 with no hard drive and no install disk!
You could buy a hard drive and install disk. They also sold a 1200HD branded that included a hard drive.
Same was true of the 600 and 600HD.

sure. i have bought an a600 with ks2.0 and without hd and had no install disk delivered with it. but these were marketed as no hd version, while hd versions were available for puchase. as soon as i have upgraded my hardware with a hd, which i did my first time in an amiga shop, or if you had the full set of system disks from the start, you were able to boot from hd alright. am i right, or am i right?

Quote:
The 4000D (s) all came with hard disks.

and all a4ks i had (they were a few) came originally with ks 3.0 which according to severin didnt contained harddisk support. ok?

Quote:
Please review your memory for errors (grin)

the check hasnt revealed any errors within area in question so far. maybe the logic on your part is at fault?

Last edited by wawa on 10-Aug-2015 at 01:22 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 13:28:28
#49 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Quote:
Amiga became PowerPC in late 90's when 68k development stopped.

to be exact it wasnt amiga that has became powerpc, but it was actually a single (or double) extension by a third party company. judging by exclusivity of this extension, the high price and low production numbers and also that the majority of amiga models in use couldnt technically be expanded with it, it is wrong to say "amiga has become powerpc" at any time.

number6 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 13:28:37
#50 ]
Elite Member

@SACC-dude

Quote:
The 4000D (s) all came with hard disks.

You could also argue that since C= Canada survived the bankruptcy, later shipping things down the infamous pipeline to the U.S. that their policy needs to be dragged into this, which according to my own personal experience was entirely different.
You discussed what you wanted, they assembled it and shipped it. So technically, those 4000Ds could come either with or without HD.

Commodore U.K. dunno.

wawa 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 13:43:27
#51 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

Quote:
I've gone through Severin's posts in this thread, and he hasn't mentioned or referred to OS4 at all. So why are YOU mentioning it? Although Severin is apparently wrong about the harddisk support before OS3.1, what has this to do with OS4???

this is simply remarkable how the opinion within certain fraction has shaped itself based on either no actual experience, lacking memory or wishful thinking about what the amiga actually was and what was and what wasnt possible with it. such as "it had no hd support", "all components were actually patches" and so on...

ok. i appologise for os4 slag. a knee jerk reaction perhaps, which may be execused as answer to a range of negative opinions about genuine amiga, as being expressed here customarily.

Last edited by wawa on 10-Aug-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 15:21:04
#52 ]
Elite Member

@LimoU.Sin

Is AmigaOS designed for your computer? Or are you designed for AmigaOS?

BtW, where did you start talkling? It looks like you continued talkiing on a new thread. I missed the first part.

The X1000 also runs a firmware intended for routers and not desktops. Are you going to pick on that?

But, as to being designed for AmigaOS, no machine is designed for AmigaOS. Even the original Amiga wasn't designed to run AmigaOS.

But, thinking AmigaOS, a 32-bit OS, cannot make use of a 64-bit CPU is slightly short signted thinking. The "16-bit" 68K AmigaOS 3.0 when running on a 32-bit CPU used special functions that were optimised for 32-bit operations. The same as AmigaOS4. The internal OS functions can make use of 64-bit registers and AltiVec. Even if the user programs don't.

As to multiple cores. This could be cost reduction and forward thinking. If a single core CPU costs more than a multi-core CPU would you simply pay the extra because the OS didn't support extra cores now? That makes no business sense! And it also holds back the hardware. That may not be the actual reason.

Even so, to not include multi-core would be short sighted. The X1000 is the big machine. And multi-core support in AmigaOS4 has been on the cards for ten years now! The "original" AmigaOne was supposed to have a multi-core CPU module in testing.

As to graphics. All NG machines with on board graphics tend to get replaced by a more powerful card.

AMD and nVidia don't support Amiga. Canon don't anymore. HP don't. Why would they? Don't you know about MS? MafiaSoft! They control the drivers. Can you find OSX drivers? I did once and they were crap!

But what's the point? To run AmigaOS! Wait your post implies you have had a bad experience running AmigaOS on the X1000...

Last edited by Hypex on 10-Aug-2015 at 03:28 PM.

BCP 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 15:45:20
#53 ]

@wawa & Severin

Amiga 3000s also came with HD support. My first Amiga was an A3000, it contained a scsi hard drive & 2.0 roms with scsi support. As far as I know the scsi hard drive drivers were a Commodore product. Also there were A2000 HD models as well.

Amiga Response Crew Users Group
Indianapolis, IN USA

pavlor 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 16:54:26
#54 ]
Elite Member

@BCP

Commodore introduced HDD controllers in same year as A2000 (1987).

LimoU.Sin 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 17:06:05
#55 ]

@Hypex

Amiga OS4 has certainly not been able to evolve in a normal way. Amiga OS has become crippled or retarded in the hands of those responsible.

Amiga OS3 worked well on Commodore computers, I can not see the same development curve on the hardware it's running now unfortunately.

Last edited by LimoU.Sin on 10-Aug-2015 at 05:15 PM.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 17:24:32
#56 ]

Quote:

Because it doesn't run on 1200 baud modems?

EDIT - accuracy

Last edited by Boot_WB on 10-Aug-2015 at 11:26 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 17:31:37
#57 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

It's almost like being killed with a spoon, first you loath, then you think it joke, and then you understand how annoying it going to get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VDvgL58h_Y

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 10-Aug-2015 at 05:33 PM.

LimoU.Sin 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 17:35:03
#58 ]

@Boot_WB

Quote:

Boot_WB wrote:
Quote:

Because it doesn't run on 28.8kb modems?

Gawd even my TV channels ran on optical fiber in 2003.

And the OS on the tuner box was developed to at least V1.0 right away and could utilize the hardware fully. How about Amiga OS4a.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 18:16:59
#59 ]
Elite Member

@LimoU.Sin

Quote:
Always better to be a Troll than a banana that never learns...

I guess that's way I'm trying to educate you.

Quote:
Because it's not third party hobbyist who have the responsibility for making hardware resources available for other third-party developer.

That’s nonsense, who cares about responsibility? So what if you were not supposed to do something, who is going to stop you? How do you think AHI was created? Martin Bloom did not wait for Commodore to write some audio drivers, Martin invented audio sound system AmigaOS uses today, AROS and MorphOS use it as well.

It was one man who did this.

There is lots of developers that enjoy writing programs, that controls hardware, just take a look here:

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/
https://learn.adafruit.com/

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 10-Aug-2015 at 06:35 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 10-Aug-2015 18:43:56
#60 ]
Elite Member

@LimoU.Sin

Quote:
One thing is for sure, the A1 nemo/X1000 is not designed for AmigaOS.

The only hardware I can think of that runs AmigaOS natively but wasn't designed for it are the the orginal AmigaOne series from Eyetech, the Mac Mini PPC 1.5ghz, the IBM e-LAP PDA, the Lime Book PPC, and a number of FPGA boards that can run the Minimig core but weren't designed solely for that purpose.

It has been stated by all parties involved in the planning and development of the X1000, that it was designed for running Amiga OS. The X1000 includes features that the OS can later be adapted to make good use of, a bit like the clockport on the A1200 which sat idle for many years bu had enough I/O for the useful expansions that came later.

Quote:
Its PPC and even have a 64 bit CPU with multiple cores beside this xmoses nonsense.

Your point being?

Quote:
Do it have onboard graphics?

Why are you asking a question you know the answer to?

Quote:
That mean you have to install a PCI graphics card.

Or a PCI-e video card. It's great that end users get to pick from a range of graphics chipsets depending on their intended usage and budget for that important area of the system. Onboard graphics chipsets can sometimes be restrictive, and forward compatibility problems can occur as new standards are adopted and phased in.

Quote:
Me search Amd drivers like normal people http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

And can't find Amiga OS supported by Amd or nVidia for that matter?

Why should or would they provide drivers for such a niche platform?

AMD has opened up their documentation which has allowed drivers to be created for Amiga OS anyway.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle