Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 162 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  Swisso

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  14 secs ago
 Swisso:  15 secs ago
 amigakit:  35 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 VooDoo:  3 hrs ago
 marcofreeman:  3 hrs 18 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 24 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  printer driver
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
kilaueabart 
printer driver
Posted on 19-Aug-2015 2:52:53
#1 ]
Cult Member

Two or three years ago after my HP Laserjet died, I believe one of the Chrises (I haven't learned to keep the two of them straight yet) provided info, link, or whatever so that I was able to install a non-laser printer driver for my HP 6700 that worked very well.

I wiped out my OS4 hard drive a few days ago and am gradually getting it set up again. Unfortunately that printer driver was not among the very few things I had backed up, and googling "amiga printer driver" hasn't turned up any hopeful leads. Does anyone reading this have an idea?

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Re: printer driver
Posted on 19-Aug-2015 4:15:55
#2 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

According to this your printer uses PCL3e:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03058896

You might have used the driver I compiled. This should work:
http://os4depot.net/?function=comments&file=driver/printer/hp_photosmart.lha

Oh and it isn't Google anymore, OS4Depot is your friend.

Now, when you say you wiped out your OS4 hard drive, I hope you don't mean you formatted over it!

kilaueabart 
Posted on 20-Aug-2015 4:30:59
#3 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex
Yes, I recognize the name, hp_photosmart.lha. I don't know how I mixed you up with a Chris, but that's what I used.

I believe the one in the support.hp.com link is the one Ubuntu recommends, but it is AWFUL. It smears colors all over the place. Well, it works very well for black and white and lets me print duplex, but mostly I have to print from OS4, not Ubuntu.

I've done a lot of crying at this site and Hyperion about how when I was trying to fix the HD that Ubuntu had been on until it developed some kind of problem, I apparently did something to my Amiga drive. I sure wish I had unplugged it before I worked on the other one! I lost everything and am finding it very difficult and time-consuming to rebuild it. Lost 2.5 years of files (including all updated passwords), in some cases more like 15 years.

kolla 
Posted on 20-Aug-2015 6:06:10
#4 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

Have you heard of the concept "backup"?? These days there are really no excuses for not having backups of data you care about.

Last edited by kolla on 20-Aug-2015 at 06:06 AM.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 20-Aug-2015 7:26:36
#5 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex
Yes, I recognize the name, hp_photosmart.lha. I don't know how I mixed you up with a Chris, but that's what I used.

I believe the one in the support.hp.com link is the one Ubuntu recommends, but it is AWFUL. It smears colors all over the place. Well, it works very well for black and white and lets me print duplex, but mostly I have to print from OS4, not Ubuntu.

I've done a lot of crying at this site and Hyperion about how when I was trying to fix the HD that Ubuntu had been on until it developed some kind of problem, I apparently did something to my Amiga drive. I sure wish I had unplugged it before I worked on the other one! I lost everything and am finding it very difficult and time-consuming to rebuild it. Lost 2.5 years of files (including all updated passwords), in some cases more like 15 years.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 24-Aug-2015 20:17:08
#6 ]
Cult Member

@kolla

Quote:
Have you heard of the concept "backup"?

I heard of that somewhere. I used to back up to other partitions of my hard drive, not expectding to lose the whole thing. Fortunately I had backed up a lot to DVD two years ago, to move from SAM to X1000. But one can't keep up to date that way.

But what is a good way to back up from Amiga? Thumb drive? I checked on an external hard drive a few days ago, but it was USB3 and worked on Windows and Mac. I once made the mistake of buying a flash drive that worked on Windows, although I managed to make it work on the Amiga for a while.

I guess I'll start trying a 32GB thumb drive today.

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Aug-2015 7:20:16
#7 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

I haven't read the Hyperion forums to see extra details but you must have really mucked it up if Linux destroyed something or you made a catastrophic mistake that corrupted the Amiga data. Usually in this case I would use a backup HD to use AmigaOS off and run all the recovery tools under the sun. Given you can't use Parrition Wizard on the X1000 the best thing to do may have been to run it on the Sam.

As to backing up. A member of my Amiga club swears by nothing than tape backup and considers CD formats to be untrustworthy. However tape would seem corruptible to me an where do you buy the hardware?

Personally I backup to CD and DVD. And on RW when a backup is in transit that I still tend to keep. I still have a CD and CDRW I wrote on my A1200 that must be 15 years old now that still works fine.

I do keep backups also on different HD drives and also USB drives but these can be unreliable and I wouldn't trust them. Including SSD which rather new for use as a HD. Any HD can suddenly suffer a mechanical failure and flash can suffer an electronic failure. I had an 8GB flash once that suddenly became an 8MB flash! In a flash. On top of that USB on OS4 is still not 100% reliable, even when using an Amiga filesystem like SFS on the drive. Which would be recommended to backup Amiga data with.

Given the data, Blu-ray is desirable. I don't know if they are as reliable as CD and DVD but I think a basic rule of thumb is to update your backups to new media once in a while and keep the old. Unless FryingPan has been updated we won't be able to burn from AmigaOS. So it would have to be transferred another way but AmigaOS4 can read an ISO9660 formatted BR disc perfectly fine. So at least we can read BD. The same way as OS3.9 can read DVD.

Last edited by Hypex on 29-Aug-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Last edited by Hypex on 27-Aug-2015 at 04:44 PM.

Daedalus 
Posted on 27-Aug-2015 9:07:14
#8 ]

@kilaueabart

Quote:

kilaueabart wrote:

But what is a good way to back up from Amiga? Thumb drive? I checked on an external hard drive a few days ago, but it was USB3 and worked on Windows and Mac. I once made the mistake of buying a flash drive that worked on Windows, although I managed to make it work on the Amiga for a while.

Most external drives should work, but a few don't. It's more down to their implementation of the Mass Storage protocol than the version of USB it uses - USB 3 drives should still work on USB 2 and USB 1.1 machines, albeit at the much slower speeds they run at. Also, don't forget that many hard drives are shipped preformatted with NTFS so you'll need FUSE installed to use them, or you can just reformat them to FAT32 or SFS. SFS (or PFS) is preferable to FAT32 because it'll let you keep all your protection bits, comments etc. intact without having to archive everything with LhA or similar.

Personally I don't use USB for backing up - all my machines, Amiga and PC alike, have two physical hard drives in them so I can easily copy the contents of the main drive onto the backup. On top of that, I back up the main stuff from all my machines to a network drive, and then critical stuff also gets backed up to off-site storage. Backing up to my network drive is faster than backing up to an external drive (USB 2) I've found.

Hard drives are so cheap these days it's easy and quick to have multiple copies of your data. It's about 10 years since I last considered using optical media for backup...

kilaueabart 
Posted on 28-Aug-2015 2:45:09
#9 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

For the Amiga side I can imagine using DiskMaster2's Copy Newer to back up once a day to something or other.

My X1000 has space for another hard drive, but lacks the wiring. No more of the red wires with the shorter plug. I suppose I could figure out a way to put one in. It occurs to me, though, that I should also back up Ubuntu (not that I use it as much now that I've got OS4.1FE coming back, bit by bit (certainly no pun intended), but FireFox does some things that Odyssey can't.

I still have a hard drive from the SAM (which is no longer operational unless I do a new HD for it I dream of selling it and the box it's in) and one from the A1XE which have a few useful old files if I need them. Two attempts to run the recent DVD FinalWriter have crashed the system so I might try one from a hard disk.

I don't understand about Blu-ray being desirable, but I'll google the word in a little while. My tablet and dumbphone have Blue tooth, I think.

Hmmm, the Preview button isn't working. I copied to NotePad just in case Submit doesn't work either. (Had to reboot!)

kilaueabart 
Posted on 28-Aug-2015 2:48:53
#10 ]
Cult Member

@Daedalus

I have two hard drives (one is now SSD, but takes up the same space and wires). Room for at least one more, but I'd have to figure out the wiring. Three sets of wires to start with, but CD/DVD takes one set.

I have no idea how I'd get a network drive.

lylehaze 
Posted on 28-Aug-2015 3:47:13
#11 ]

@kilaueabart

"Backing Up" is going to be different for everyone, depending on what files you must protect.
I have MANY partitions on my primary drives, most are bootable, but I know that if I lose an entire drive, that will be a LOT of different partitions.

Since most of my Amiga time is spent programming, I have developed a script named "backup" that will create a backup of the current project, named by project name, date, time, and version, it asks for release notes and maintains that file for me, and it then stores two copies of that backup. One in a "backup" drawer in the current directory, and the other on Backup:, which is an old IDE drive used just for that purpose. The idea is to keep copies on two physically separate drives, and to make it so easy to add backups that they get done frequently.

It's not everything, but it covers enough to help me feel secure, and it's so easy to use that i make project backups VERY frequently.

Hypex 
Posted on 31-Aug-2015 17:42:57
#12 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

Quote:
My X1000 has space for another hard drive, but lacks the wiring.

Really? Wow, you must have it decked out. I have one HD and two optical drives leaving space for one more device on SATA . As well as space for a couple of IDE devices. Well provided there is a power plug.

Quote:
Two attempts to run the recent DVD FinalWriter have crashed the system

Have they released it on DVD already? Seems it was premature and not fully tested. OS4 native build?

Quote:
I don't understand about Blu-ray being desirable,

What I mean is, a Blu-ray disc is desirable because it can store 25GB. Or 50GB in dual layer. There also triple and quad layer offering up to 100GB and 128GB respecively. And I also read of a 200GB one. Now for backups, that's desirable!

Last edited by Hypex on 02-Sep-2015 at 06:31 PM.

terminills 
Posted on 31-Aug-2015 17:59:24
#13 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Hypex

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Two attempts to run the recent DVD FinalWriter have crashed the system

Have they released it on DVD already? Seems it was premature and not fully tested. OS4 native build?

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Daedalus 
Posted on 31-Aug-2015 19:20:30
#14 ]

@kilaueabart

Quote:

kilaueabart wrote:

My X1000 has space for another hard drive, but lacks the wiring. No more of the red wires with the shorter plug. I suppose I could figure out a way to put one in.

Which wires? SATA cables are very cheap to buy, and if you don't have enough power connectors left, you can buy splitters and adaptors for cheap too that give you extra connections. Usually the limiting factor is the number of SATA ports on the motherboard...

kilaueabart 
Posted on 3-Sep-2015 20:18:04
#15 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Quote: My X1000 has space for another hard drive, but lacks the wiring.

Really? Wow, you must have it decked out. I have one HD and two optical drives leaving space for one more device on SATA . As well as space for a couple of IDE devices. Well provided there is a power plug.

I have two HDs perhaps leaving space for two? I'm not going to open it up to check, but some of the wiring goes to the CD/DVD thing. I have the wide plug for one more device, but not the narrow one (on the red cord); is that power?
Quote:
Quote: Two attempts to run the recent DVD FinalWriter have crashed the system

No, I was referring to a backup on DVD (not sure what I meant by "recent"). I copied one to the reformatted OS4 disk. It doesn't crash anything, the icon just blinks once or twice, then nothing. I need to get the current Snoopy or equivalent to try to figure out what is going on.

Last edited by kilaueabart on 03-Sep-2015 at 08:19 PM.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 3-Sep-2015 20:22:21
#16 ]
Cult Member

@Daedalus

Thanks, I will keep that in mind (and study the Technical Reference Manual more).

g01df1sh 
Posted on 3-Sep-2015 21:51:47
#17 ]

@kilaueabart

Hi

What i would really like to see is a port of turbo print for os4 . think it work under emulation but a native port of this intergrated into the os would be wicked. loved it on os3.5 68k print outs where so much better then pc with same printer.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

QuikSanz 
Posted on 4-Sep-2015 1:55:12
#18 ]

@g01df1sh,

I agree! Used on 3.1 thru to 3.9 and it worked great. It's a must have. Update some drivers and clean it up, then ship it!

pvanni 
Posted on 4-Sep-2015 8:10:06
#19 ]

@g01df1sh
turboprint work very well on OS4, unfortunately we are stuck with an old version,
there is no driver for modern printers

pjhutch 
Posted on 4-Sep-2015 18:23:35
#20 ]

@pvanni

I wrote a few printer drivers for AMigaOS 3.x for HP and Epson printers many years ago using AmigaOS' quite ancient printing system. I don't think it changed that much on OS4 except the 24 bit colour. There are a number of compatible drivers with OS4 which you can find in Sys:Storage/Printers. Just move the ones from there to Devs:Printers folders and select with the Printer Preferences.

Additional older drivers can be found on Aminet in driver/print folder.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle