Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
31 crawler(s) on-line.
 45 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

AmigaPapst,  ntromans

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AmigaPapst:  10 secs ago
 ntromans:  16 secs ago
 OlafS25:  6 mins ago
 pixie:  14 mins ago
 amigakit:  30 mins ago
 pavlor:  48 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 BigD:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Q . If you could go back in time with eight billion pounds world you buy out commodore 64 and Amiga
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
mcbone 
Q . If you could go back in time with eight billion pounds world you buy out commodore 64 and Amiga
Posted on 23-Aug-2015 17:18:37
#1 ]
Cult Member

Q . If you could go back in time with eight billion pounds world you buy out commodore 64 and Amiga and if you had enough money left and see apple up for sale would you buy it think you could use some of hardware and software and technology to help Amiga out more into the future

An Apple a day keep bill gates away

Profile     Report this post  
blizz1220 
Re: Q . If you could go back in time with eight billion pounds world you buy out commodore 64 and Amiga
Posted on 23-Aug-2015 17:30:03
#2 ]

@mcbone

I would go even further back and make free DOS (like MSDOS)
and make sure everyone uses it.Then Windows.That way I could
keep my cake and eat it

mcbone 
Re: Q . If you could go back in time with eight billion pounds world you buy out commodore 64 and Amiga
Posted on 23-Aug-2015 17:48:49
#3 ]
Cult Member

@blizz1220

yes dos and msdos was good be nice to have some new game out Quote:

blizz1220 wrote:
@mcbone

I would go even further back and make free DOS (like MSDOS)
and make sure everyone uses it.Then Windows.That way I could
keep my cake and eat it

An Apple a day keep bill gates away

BigD 
Posted on 23-Aug-2015 18:17:12
#4 ]
Elite Member

@mcbone

I don't think £8 billion would be required. I'd just lend Commodore UK £50 million for the buyout after Commodore went bust and use the rest to research cold fusion reactors, hybrid/hydrogen fuel cell car technology and give the rest to Christian charities to ease suffering.

Kronos 
Posted on 23-Aug-2015 18:26:52
#5 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Or just save those 50000000 UKP and let Escom and history run it's course.

Same result, slightly less drama.

Last edited by Kronos on 23-Aug-2015 at 06:42 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 23-Aug-2015 18:31:29
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

How do you know?! Commodore UK had a good plan and could have allowed the Amiga to carry on gaining market share especially in the UK and Europe. The USA never really got the Amiga and quite frankly it was their loss!

Kronos 
Posted on 23-Aug-2015 18:48:09
#7 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

C= UK had alot of fantansies and tried to enter into the bidding without even basic funding (read not very competent managetment).

In reality all they could have done at 1st was what Petro did at Escom (restart making old C= designs from old C= stocks found around the world). Doubt that they would have done a better job.

If you could go back in time with a truckload of cash, use it to bribe ??? so that Samsung could have taken over C= in summer 94 instead of over 1 year of legal c####.

Yeah mabey they were only interested in the patents, but maybe they would have used the tech to restock A1200/CD32 at harshly reduced prices for the XMas 94 season.

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 24-Aug-2015 2:12:08
#8 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

@mcbone

I'd buy eight billion pounds worth of Apple shares.

/me runs back to lurkers corner

Google Translate

blizz1220 
Posted on 24-Aug-2015 7:45:30
#9 ]

@SpaceDruid

By this time I own and sell Windows and beginning to
rule the planet's defenses.

Would you Sir maybe consider an consortium ?

Lol , I like this game.

agami 
Posted on 24-Aug-2015 8:01:11
#10 ]

@mcbone

A. Absolutely positively Yes.

NOTE: You didn't specify which year in history I'd be travelling to so I'm going with 1984

And like others have said, one wouldn't need £8B, unless you wanted to achieve total global PC domination.

£8M, now there's a challenge. What most people don't seem to appreciate is just how precarious the technology ecosystem is. The benefit of hindsight would go only so far as The Butterfly Effect would eventually kick in. Knowledge of key player personalities would be critical. £8M could be enough to disrupt the delicate balance.

I would try and put myself in a controlling position within Commodore, e.g. on the board of directors: Make sure we don't hire losers and we don't get into stupid product SKUs. Assure the Amiga gets the right amount of development and marketing attention.

£80M would guarantee that the Amiga would be alive and well in some shape of form today. Buy up shares, invest wisely in other firms. Acquire promising startups.

£800M would place Amiga at the forefront of competing neck and neck with Microsoft.
How cool would it be if nowadays a job ad specified: Must have Final Writer experience, or if IGN had an Amiga channel.

But to answer a slightly modified question: If my 14 year old self had £80M+ I would totally buy Amiga Corporation, outbidding Atari and Commodore. I'm not certain of much, but I do know that I wouldn't have tried to mess with the inner workings of the company. I'd focus on completing high-school and would expect a new Amiga every time a new model rolled off the assembly line.

Last edited by agami on 24-Aug-2015 at 08:06 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 24-Aug-2015 15:56:54
#11 ]
Elite Member

@mcbone

A; No I'd just buy Commodore and get both!

Now, you mention it, I would bring out a a Commodore 256. This follows the logical naming of 8-bit computers with multiples of two. It would be a hybrid of the best bits if the C128 and the +4. OS8.0, SID, sprites and the superior +4 palette with new improved bitmap modes. But with real 128 colours and not that lame 121 colours that made no sense. The case would be a trendy grey. It would be a C64 killer in every sense of the word. For this reason all the C64 people will hate it. Because it's better, not different. This will then force them to use my next invention...

The Amiga A1800. This would follow the desktop AGA maming scheme by adding another 600 to the last model. And also have a slight dig at Atari being close to 1850. It would be everything the Amiga wasn't but should have been. Also in trendy grey, it would have an updated chipset, with a 16x16-bit hardware sound channels with free panning up to 96KHz and 56K DSP. MIDI. VGA+RGB out. Simplified graphic chipset with no reliance on rigid palettes, but instead with palette pointers and 1:1 copper to pixel speed an any resolution. The plane pointers would be able to be used as playfields. And new modes would allow increased pixel width up to 32-bits for 8-bit chunky or truecolour all for use in a single bitplane. Sprites would follow suit. All modes with choice of user defined palettes or truecolour bitplane AKA colourplane. 16MB chip RAM of course! The blitter would be updated as well. Faster blitting as well as warping support with full 2d textures and blending features to allow for fast 3d games.

Okay that's enough for today. Do you like it?

Even if I am more realistic and pull out the truecolour modes my chipset could still display a 24-bit truecolour screen with a simple copperlist as a background image.

Last edited by Hypex on 24-Aug-2015 at 04:02 PM.

iggy 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 0:19:58
#12 ]

@mcbone

Methinks I'd just invest the 8 billion in a higher return fund and just live off the interest paid on my investment.
Maybe warn the Amigans about the impending doom, but keep the cash.

TrevorDick 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 2:59:16
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Not sure I agree with you but you can ask David Pleasance in person at the Neuss Amiga30th event. Look forward to meeting up with you again.

TrevorD

fishy_fis 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 3:05:56
#14 ]
Elite Member

I'd leave things exactly as they are until now.

If Amiga had continued and ended up a big player it'd be something other than what we enjoy about it today.

However with even 10 million today, the hobby I enjoy could really benefit.

I'd use a big chunk of what's remaining to try to bring down the plague that is organized religion. The modern world is suffering big time because of it.

iggy 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 3:27:13
#15 ]

@fishy_fis

I would agree with the first proposition.
But I am not sure about the latter.
I have mixed feeling about religion, but have been attending church services lately.
Religion has its place, but that place should be personal.
I'm not sure that the problem IS religion, or if it's just organized religion.

And, back to to first statement, yeah I like where we are at too.
To heck with Amiga Inc. or anyone else that thinks they own this, this is OUR system.
And from now on, we should control it.

Last edited by iggy on 25-Aug-2015 at 03:28 AM.

Amigo1 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 6:39:27
#16 ]

@mcbone

I would go back, try to contact Trevor and give him the the money.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 7:27:09
#17 ]

@fishy_fis
+1

Kronos 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 8:35:59
#18 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick

Still got a sore neck......

cdimauro 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 9:03:08
#19 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

Quote:

iggy wrote:
@fishy_fis

I have mixed feeling about religion, but have been attending church services lately.
Religion has its place, but that place should be personal.
I'm not sure that the problem IS religion, or if it's just organized religion.

[OCCAM'S RAZOR MODE ON]

the problem IS religion

[OCCAM'S RAZOR MODE OFF]

TrevorDick 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 9:04:49
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

OK, I'll buy you a beer this time!

@Amiga1

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

TrevorD

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle