Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 141 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  45 secs ago
 Rob:  7 mins ago
 blmara:  32 mins ago
 miggymac:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 44 mins ago
 DWolfman:  3 hrs 53 mins ago
 cncparts:  5 hrs 26 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  6 hrs 12 mins ago
 Beajar:  6 hrs 32 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Emulation
      /  FPGA Amiga even quicker
Register To Post

PosterThread
g01df1sh 
FPGA Amiga even quicker
Posted on 6-Oct-2015 19:17:21
#1 ]

Hi all

Found this today how fast can they make the a600 FPGA accelerater go now.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/215685-microfluidic-cooling-yields-huge-performance-benefits-in-fpga-processors

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Profile     Report this post  
RodTerl 
Re: FPGA Amiga even quicker
Posted on 7-Oct-2015 10:51:07
#2 ]
Cult Member

@g01df1sh

Oh wow, I was wondering how long it would take to get this running.

Thing that confuses me is when they go on about it being difficult to apply it to CPUs.

Thats because, isnt the circutry all on one side of the silicon substrate, and the heat sink is the empty space on the other side, and the micrographs show multiple repeated modules, and in energy efficint versions, deep channel electrically isolated modules for variable clock, voltage and shut down operation?

As for general liquid cooling on componant, wouldnt that be Cray?

They say creation of 100 micron channels. Pity really, because this means we will be looking at year after year of microscopic incremental catchup, instead of saying, here, I was looking at this in the 80s, using my university course on cooling systems for injection moulding machines. Lets calculate the modular branching fluidic logic structure so that the thermal load in each area acts as sensor, switcher for manipulating fluid flow, the various parts have been round for decades due to nuclear reprocessing industry.

The power density of a CPU/GPU is supposed to be similar t that of a nuclear reactor, why not save even more energy by looking at micro turbogenerators of over 10% recovery capacity?

Of course, what would have really impressed me about this, if I can find my paperwork with all the calculations, is if they had put even basic fractal or even linear branching channel on the back of the chip in the substrate, then drilled pinholes through the circuitry itself, such that only gasous fluid could get through. You want on die cooling? Try 2000 watts per ml per second for water.

Come on guys, this is 80s tech, Dont make us wait 40 years for the thing. Oh, wait, they scrapped Concorde due to it beng 60s tech due to it being too good.

You think this is fun, Now imagine taking the DVD pressing plant with elastomeric material with CVD silicon coating and circuitry with pressed fluidic cooling logic. Allow to fold up into a 3D form when stress is released. Watch Moores law hold for another 30 years. Using a thousandth the silicon of a current chip, for the current chip. Now imagine, due to CVD substrate creation, we no longer need billion dollar zone refining boule foundries or wafer production. Or Fab plants as we know them. given Thailand, this means flooded etc.

Sorry, I was just trying to work out how to get a ZX spectrum to clock at 100 Mhz with a 30 volt supply and it was the only way I could think of.

Hypex 
Posted on 7-Oct-2015 14:46:56
#3 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

Bit confusng here. I thought you were posting about an FPGAmiga with a speed increase. Then you mention a A600 FPGA. But link to an article about FPGA cooling. Nice artcle but where is the FPGA600

Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Oct-2015 8:11:33
# ]

@RodTerl

Quote:
... Sorry, I was just trying to work out how to get a ZX spectrum to clock at 100 Mhz with a 30 volt supply and it was the only way I could think of.

Moments later:

Quote:
Oh no, it's the Libyans! Run for it Marty!

Report this post  
g01df1sh 
Posted on 8-Oct-2015 8:14:42
#5 ]

@Hypex

Here is link about A600 fpga accelerator

http://www.majsta.com/

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

megol 
Posted on 17-Dec-2015 19:14:16
#6 ]

@g01df1sh

"huge performance benefit"? They didn't even list any improvement in performance!

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle