Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 156 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  6 mins ago
 pixie:  25 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 DWolfman:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 cncparts:  2 hrs 47 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  3 hrs 33 mins ago
 Beajar:  3 hrs 52 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 54 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 58 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  What is an NG Amiga: The mystery is solved!
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hypex 
What is an NG Amiga: The mystery is solved!
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 1:12:37
#1 ]
Elite Member

Hello.

I've just solved the mystery of what to call one of these newfangled so called NG Amiga machines. And the answer was hidden right in front of us! If we knew where to look and now I can't see where I found it.

So an AmigaOne for example. If it's not an Amiga. If it's not a One. What is it?

It's an Amiga compatible!

Perhaps calling it AmigaOS compatible is more accurate. Or rather AmigaOS4 compatible

We must remember that the AmigaOne machine, in whatever form today, wasn't the first "Amiga compatible" machine released without an Amiga chipset or Commodore logo. The Draco was an early Amiga compatible machine with RTG. And then we lost it after that.

Profile     Report this post  
cdimauro 
Re: What is an NG Amiga: The mystery is solved!
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 5:20:14
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex: if you take a look at the image that A-EON recently published for the upcoming AmigaOne X5000, you'll find the solution.

Yes, it's an AmigaOS computer.

Problem solved.

Hondo 
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 6:02:21
#3 ]

@Hypex

Man you're brilliant!

And hence from this day forward it shall be known that NG Amiga hardware is referred to as "Amiga Compatible" computers/apps.

Last edited by Hondo on 10-Oct-2015 at 06:02 AM.

Leo 
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 6:53:49
#4 ]

Why would it have to be compatible to be called an Amiga ?

If Commodore was still around I guess they would have released new computers incompatible with the old chipset and would have called them Amiga...

New Ford cars have nothing to do with the cars built 50 years ago. Should Ford use another name to describe them ? Ford One cars ?

No.

Last edited by Leo on 10-Oct-2015 at 12:03 PM.

Vistaus 
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 10:42:40
#5 ]

@Leo

Couldn't agree more with you. I call my AmigaOne 500 (and other AONE's) an Amiga, so does my mum. Even though this my first Amiga ever. But I feel like it's different in a good way, it can run AmigaOS software, so to us it's an Amiga :) Leo is totally right with his post :)

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 12:15:57
#6 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Ah I see Trevor agrees with my findings. I also used AmigaOS as a machine description earlier. Can't find my post.

@Hondo

Thanks!

@Leo

If it's not Amiga compatible in any way there wouldn't be anything Amiga about it. It''s possible Commodore would have released new redesigned models of the Amiga and other machines but they would have kept designing custom hardware like the original was as far as possible. I get your Ford comparison but there are differences here. Are Ford releasing cars with old model names? The Amiga was more than a label, what made it Amiga was that under the hood. But the big difference here is separation. AFAIK, Ford didn't go bankrupt, then years later have some other company try and recreate a Ford car from existing parts. There is no continuance for the Amiga. It has been broken.

@Vistaus

If your only Amiga experience is your AmigaOne then you can only interpret from that machine. But take the HD/OS4 drive out of it and there's little Amiga about it.

@All

It's funny as I tend to find myself on the other side of the fence regarding what an NG Amiga is but here I'm on the opposite side.

Last edited by Hypex on 10-Oct-2015 at 12:17 PM.

Trixie 
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 14:21:43
#7 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Hypex

My Sam440ep running AmigaOS4 is an Amiga computer and I don't give a flick about your theories, or anybody else's.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Leo 
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 14:33:28
#8 ]

Quote:

If it's not Amiga compatible in any way there wouldn't be anything Amiga about it.

Oh, I see. So there is no Playstation anymore since the PS3. Nor any Nintendo console since the Nes (because event the Supernes didn't run Nes games).

Still, people bought the SuperNes. You know why ? Because it was a great system and Nintendo keeped releasing many great games. That's what is a Nintendo game console, and that's why people buy Nintendo consoles, even today.

No one cares about the CPU or GPU found inside a Nintendo console. At most, people are curious, but that's it.

And the fact that Nintendo didn't stick to custom chipsets and went mainstream with AMD for the graphics doesn't mean they cannot innovate and delight users elsewhere (with the controller of the Wii/WiiU for example, with even more great games).

The Amiga was an affordable computer that excelled at video & sound, and could do lots of things that appeared almost a decade later on other computers. It also was dead simple to use: you just insert a disk, and you're ready to go.

When I bought my Amiga, back in 1988, I bought it because I saw Shadow of the Beast, not because it had a 68000 and nice custom chips. I didn't buy it because it was running a different CPU than x86 found in PCs either.

The OS was also great because it was advanced when compared to OS of that time.

That's what is an Amiga. And you're right: there are no Amigas anymore. But that's surely not because your AOne X5000 doesn't come with AGA chips.

Looking back at the Amiga and constantly focusing on compatiblity won't make a new Amiga. If that's what Jay Miner wanted, he would have not created the Amiga. Instead he would have released a game console that was able to run Atari 2600 games. Wow...

Yes: it's 2015, chip development is ruled by one or two companies (Nvidia, Amd), and there's no way you can come with something better. The same goes for the CPU. But there is one thing that could be done in "continuance" to the Amiga: that's a new *modern* and simple OS. With some nice apps.

And if you ask me, keeping the same limitations that original AmigaOS had 30 years ago is not how you maintain "continuance", it's how you burry the OS and hit a wall...

Last edited by Leo on 10-Oct-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Last edited by Leo on 10-Oct-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Last edited by Leo on 10-Oct-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Last edited by Leo on 10-Oct-2015 at 02:34 PM.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 15:21:11
#9 ]

@Leo

Quote:

Leo wrote:
Why would it have to be compatible to be called an Amiga ?

If Commodore was still around I guess they would have released new computers incompatible with the old chipset and would have called them Amiga...

New Ford cars have nothing to do with the cars built 50 years ago. Should Ford use another name to describe them ? Ford One cars ?

No.

Umm, Commodore made those too, they were called PC's back then.

Cars have many of the same things today as in yesteryear, Body, motor and electrical.
The difference is what they run on!

My Subie turbo needs 91 octane, fun stuff.

Fortunately it does not take 91 octane on Amiga to be fun stuff!

Chris

Leo 
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 15:33:04
#10 ]

Quote:

Cars have many of the same things today as in yesteryear, Body, motor and electrical.
The difference is what they run on!

My Subie turbo needs 91 octane, fun stuff.

Indeed. But a Ford is still a Ford, even though it uses the same fuel as most other cars.

And I bet the inside of a Ford today has nothing to do with the one you could buy 30 years ago...

The same way that a computer with PCI or x86 can be a Mac and not necessarily a PC.

The same way that a computer could be an Amiga without having an AGA chipset.

Fortunately you don't need an AGA chipset or a 6502 to have nice games and fun.

Last edited by Leo on 10-Oct-2015 at 03:33 PM.

noXLar 
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 15:57:35
#11 ]
Cult Member

@Leo

+1 agree its like someone says 68k amiga with cpu&gfx addons isn't amiga anymore

Thorham 
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 16:10:46
#12 ]

Time and time again have I argued about what is and is not an Amiga. Last time was around a week ago on a Dutch Amiga forum. I came to the conclusion that it's utterly pointless (yeah, it took waaaaaaaaay too long). It's the same as people from different religions arguing about who's wrong and who's right.

Last edited by Thorham on 10-Oct-2015 at 04:12 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 16:21:12
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Thorham

Quote:
It's the same as people from different religions arguing about who's wrong and who's right.

Exactly!

paolone 
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 16:33:07
#14 ]

Have A look to the Mac. Todays macs have nothing in common with 90s ones, but you can still recognize them as a 'different' personal computer species, even though, technically speaking, they ARE PCs.

amigang 
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 17:15:05
#15 ]
Elite Member

You want to know the real reason their called NG Amiga or how I like to put it AmigaNG computers. Well Gateway did it, when they decieded on build a new Amiga they needed way to refer to the new machine and the old machines, so Commodore line became Classic Amigas and the new Amiga where ref to as Amiga NG machines, I think had commodore been around I'm sure we would of got lots of intresting Amiga names and different computer and we could have the same arguments, is it really still an Amiga?

At the end of the day (to me any way) if you have fun on it and it make you think of the good old Amiga days, no matter what that is too you and what you where doing at the time, even if it just playing a retro stly game on arm phone running android, at that very moment it takes me back and I feel like that device/game is an Amiga title then thats all I need, I dont need the brand to tell me what an Amiga is, to me its more of a feeling, AmigaOS4.1 does a great job of it but so does Aros and other efforts and of course the great community adds a lot to it as well.

OlafS25 
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 17:34:42
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Vistaus

My Windows-PC runs also Amiga software. So it is Amiga too?

Hondo 
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 17:35:31
#17 ]

@amigang

Well said man

But still a computer that runs AmigaOS is the real deal

sundown 
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 17:44:21
#18 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
My Windows-PC runs also Amiga software. So it is Amiga too?

Your choice to call call it what ever you like, I lean more toward the s/w definition.

klx300r 
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 17:47:06
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

all my miggies ARE my miggies except the one that I adore

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Rob 
Posted on 10-Oct-2015 17:54:00
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Leo

Quote:
And I bet the inside of a Ford today has nothing to do with the one you could buy 30 years ago...

The iB5 gerabox which is the 5 speed manual found in many of todays Ford's is based on the the BC gearbox which dates back to 1976. The iB5 is essentially the same box as the BC but with slightly larger bearings.

The Endura E 1.3 which was only dropped when Ford ended production of the Mk1 KA in 2008. The Endura E's roots trace back to the Ford Kent engine which was originally designed for the Anglia in 1959.

The Duratec engines used in most current Fords with displacements of 1.25 - 1.6 litres is nothing more than the Sigma/Zetec SE engine that first found it's way into Ford Fiestas all the way back in 1995.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle