Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 104 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  12 mins ago
 edwardsjethro:  32 mins ago
 joeyunderwood:  34 mins ago
 Sikharubel:  36 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  59 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs 8 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Vision statement
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Birbo 
Vision statement
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 11:06:38
#1 ]
Cult Member

Hi to everyone

After all the 30 years Amiga Anniversary events, I hoped to see more about new ideas regarding the future of Amiga.

The lack of a clear Future Vision statement in our community is something I personally really dislike. I think it is important to know, what our systems should be good for. Failure to understand a common position can lead to poor decision making at all levels of developers.

The fact that we still have Amiga Computers and Operating Systems alive is just great. But it is on us to make the situation look better in the future.

It is not the first time that I try starting a thread about this, but the last attempts ended in chaos.

So, I would like to ask you about just one thing:

What could a clear common Vision statement look like?

More information about vision statements here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision_statement
http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/3882-vision-statement.html
http://ctb.ku.edu/en/table-of-contents/structure/strategic-planning/vision-mission-statements/main

Last edited by Birbo on 23-Oct-2015 at 11:30 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Birbo 
Re: Vision statement
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 11:17:09
#2 ]
Cult Member

Here comes my proposal of a vision statement:

The Amiga Computer is the preferred and most trusted computer system for the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.

wawa 
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 11:18:15
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Birbo

Quote:
I think it is important to know, what our systems should be good for.

isnt it up to you to to know what something you prefer is good for? why do you expect others to tell you? what unheard of revelations may you be expecting?

wawa 
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 11:19:43
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Birbo

Quote:

The Amiga Computer is the preferred and most trusted computer system for the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.

ah ok, this kind of thing..
we can leave it at it i guess.

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 11:21:55
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Birbo

you make a thread or a threat?

both is valid

common vision is survival I guess and with Aros, MorphOS and AmigaOS there are different options moving in different directions. It is your choice.

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 11:22:54
#6 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I think the vision speaks for itself

Birbo 
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 11:25:20
#7 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

I think it is important, because I would like to know what an Amiga computer today should be good for.

If everyone of us has it's own goals on what to do with his Amiga computer system the situation of having so many diffrent systems will never change.

If that's ok to you, thats perfect. I personally don't like the chaos in our community.

Most talks end up in a great chaos, because of too diffrent approaches. There is mostly no common vision about what we are talking.

When I'm active in other forums (for example FreeBSD) - it's absolutely clear, what FreeBSD should be good for and what's the idea behind. Crystal clear: It is the first things you'll read on the official website:

FreeBSD is an advanced computer operating system used to power modern servers, desktops and embedded platforms. A large community has continually developed it for more than thirty years. Its advanced networking, security and storage features have made FreeBSD the platform of choice for many of the busiest web sites and most pervasive embedded networking and storage devices.

Last edited by Birbo on 23-Oct-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Birbo 
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 11:32:10
#8 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Oh thanks. Just changed the typo. Ha! That was a good one... my english isn't that good. I hope you still understand what I am asking for.

Until now, neither you or wawa answered my question. I had just 1.

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 11:54:03
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Birbo

your vision was serious?

to answer serious I do not think that there is a common vision possible today... most amigans like to tinker around with their own highly-equipped Amiga 2000/4000 or other models in tower with lots of cards. And the NG camp is divided. BTW what "vision" is behind Windows except making money? Or MacOS? Even Linux has no "common vision" because of that there are millions of distributions with different desktops.

For me Amiga was for the masses not classes so it should run on affordable and competitive hardware (=standard hardware). And for retro/fun I would like to have something FPGA based. Vision would be for me to attract certain customers and offer a perfect solution to them like for graphicians or have a perfect system for gamers. But for that there are already good solutions available.

Birbo 
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 12:06:19
#10 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Thank you for that answer. This is already very precious.

Linux has a vision:

Linux has all the features you would expect in a modern fully-fledged operating system, including true multitasking, virtual memory, shared libraries, demand loading, shared copy-on-write executables, proper memory management, and multistack networking including IPv4 and IPv6. Although originally developed first for 32-bit x86-based PCs (386 or higher), Linux also runs on a multitude of other processor architectures, in both 32- and 64-bit variants.

Last edited by Birbo on 23-Oct-2015 at 12:09 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 12:28:33
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Birbo

Quote:
FreeBSD is an advanced computer operating system used to power modern servers, desktops and embedded platforms. A large community has continually developed it for more than thirty years. Its advanced networking, security and storage features have made FreeBSD the platform of choice for many of the busiest web sites and most pervasive embedded networking and storage devices.

"whatever tries to refer to itself as amiga is an ideal platform for people to meet, share utopian visions, vague dreams and quarrel about most unimportant issues. you can throw each and every proposal on this community and have it discussed to death, no matter its been serious or anyone have even the slightest idea on the subject . the community garanties you the most stable target audience. you can come back ten years later to find it where you left it, still waining patiently. its most forgiving, it will find justification for whatever you could happen be doing wrong all by itself. all in all its an ideal place to gather funds or attention for nothing."

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 12:32:28
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Birbo

that is a technical description to me not a vision... a vision is something like "we want to offer the best OS for the future multimedia world at home" or something like that. But as I wrote... the big platforms are far ahead technically

Birbo 
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 12:38:22
#13 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Absolutely great. Thanks a lot.

I love it. I will print that out and put it into my office.

Last edited by Birbo on 23-Oct-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Birbo 
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 12:47:43
#14 ]
Cult Member

I know, it is not an easy question.

The links I've posted show how hard it is to find the right way.

What about putting the user into the focus of the vision and not the computer system itself?

Is the Amiga more connected to memories and childhood experiences than to other things?

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 12:53:00
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Birbo

of course it is... and to gaming

I am pretty sure if you ask former Amiga user about amiga they will say A500 and games

So a vision would be something saying where to go, what needs and interests amiga would cover better than other platforms

But as I wrote... the platform is splitted so you cannot define a common direction

CarasGhant 
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 12:58:02
#16 ]

AmigaOS4, striving to have an OpenGL driver within the next 50 years.

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 13:04:01
#17 ]
Elite Member

@CarasGhant

that is not a vision, that is science fiction

Birbo 
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 13:12:41
#18 ]
Cult Member

What about this:

An Amiga Computer is the platform of the most passionate users and developers aiming to survive the spirit and fun experience with such a system of the early 90s.

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 13:15:29
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Birbo

sounds good... it would need some additional informations how exactly it is separating from the other platforms

Birbo 
Posted on 23-Oct-2015 13:24:05
#20 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Just trying to explain:

If passion is something important in a future statement, it would for example impact future developments.

Example: many websites of amiga developers do not use passion as a focus. Brands like Alfa Romeo or Seat, Ferrari etc. use passion in their developments.

This could mean: make software look in a certain way (design rules), make passion somehow connected to the fun we had 1992.

This could also mean: Focus: Games and Software from that time should be available and run flawlessly. Etc.

I hope I could give some idea on what I am asking.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle