Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 168 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  4 mins ago
 Hypex:  26 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  43 mins ago
 saimo:  53 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs ago
 Rob:  2 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  AmigaOne general questions
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
StantheAmigaMan 
AmigaOne general questions
Posted on 19-Nov-2015 4:40:09
#1 ]

Good evening everybody! Soon to me morning

I have a couple of more questions for this new system I have.

Knowing the Amiga as I do, as I've owned Amigas since 1986, I have become frustrated with Origyn and my favorite website. It seems to not support secure pages anymore. So I've taken to find Odyssey available. The trouble is, no matter which os4depot site I download it from, the lha file is corrupt. The same can be said with most os4depot files I've downloaded tonight. It's frustrating.

I would like to ask... who has a copy of Odyssey or Timberwolf that works that they'd like to share? or at least point me to non-corrupt downloads?

I'm also stuck on the email system. I may wind up trashing this current instzallation and re-doing it from scratch. How I miss the days I could make several bootable Workbench floppies to try different configurations out. Makes me wish i had a Catweasel.

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Re: AmigaOne general questions
Posted on 19-Nov-2015 6:46:02
# ]

@StantheAmigaMan

Quote:

The trouble is, no matter which os4depot site I download it from, the lha file is corrupt.

I just tried from the main os4depot.net site and it works flawless.

Together with this:
Quote:

The same can be said with most os4depot files I've downloaded tonight. It's frustrating.

i'd say either try again now or check your internet connection/ISP, because that sounds more like a problem on your side(on your connection.

Maybe even (i hope not) a problem of your hdd?

Report this post  
BillE 
Posted on 19-Nov-2015 10:25:26
#3 ]

@StantheAmigaMan

See my similar question at:
http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7105&forum=40

I have had exactly the same problem with the avios site. It seems an SSL problem. As sites "upgrade" to newer versions the Amiga is getting left behind again.

TW no longer works for a long while and Odyssey needs an update if it is to keep up with with sites using newer SSL features

> How I miss the days I could make several bootable Workbench floppies to try different configurations out. Makes me wish i had a Catweasel.

Just set up several different boot partitions, far better than fiddling with floppies.

tonyw 
Posted on 19-Nov-2015 10:45:49
#4 ]
Elite Member

@StantheAmigaMan

Are you sure that the download is corrupt? Not just a failure of the unpacking? What are you using to unpack the archive?

Have you tried doing an "md5sum" of the downloaded files, then repeating the download and doing the md5sum again? Are they the same?

BTW, please describe your new system.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 19-Nov-2015 11:22:02
#5 ]

@Raziel

The funny thing is, I just now tried downloading and unzipping the program only Macbook Pro and got no errors at all.

I doubt it's the HDD, as this system is brand-new, What I have is this:

SAM 460EX (AmigaOne 500) board, 2GB RAM
256GB SSD drive from Dell
Sapphire Radeon ATI Video card
LiteON DVD+RW
4-port SATA controller
USB (and networked) HP OfficeJet Pro 8610

and I'm using the standard gigabit Ethernet connection through Comcast for my link to the outside

When I get home from work tonight I'll try copying the newly-unpacked Odyssey to the Amiga over my NAS and see what happens.

StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 19-Nov-2015 11:24:22
#6 ]

@tonyw

I just tried unpacking the wha file using my MBP and it gave me no errors. When I get home I'll try copying the unpacked folder to the Amiga using my NAS and see what happens.

I haven't checked the md5sums of the downloaded files. It may be my connection that's bad, I'll check later.

Hypex 
Posted on 19-Nov-2015 16:05:19
#7 ]
Elite Member

@StantheAmigaMan

Quote:
I just tried unpacking the wha file using my MBP and it gave me no errors. When I get home I'll try copying the unpacked folder to the Amiga using my NAS and see what happens.

And there's your problem. If you want to use the program on OS4 why are you unpacking it on OSX? Please, do a test. unpack a Mac program on OS4, then transfer the folder to your Mac. Does it work?

My point is, you want to use it on OS4, so transfer the archive as is to OS4 and unpack there. It's easy enough, copy to RAM or some other accessible location, show all files and double click on it! Do you remember protection bits? That method generally opens UnArc which handles them.

So you managed to download some archives but how did you find they were corrupt?

StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 19-Nov-2015 22:22:32
#8 ]

@Hypex

I'd written that response on 2 hours of sleep. I know that won't work. Now copying the LHA file over and unzipping it might work. I use the internal ha unarc program… just double-click the LHA file. Towards the very end of the process it tells me that one file is corrupted.

Trying copying he LHA over as I write this.

Eventually I would love going back to having my Amya as my sole system. A part of me died when I bough my first Windows box in 1993… but to do that I need to get this thing working with the hardware.

::::UPDATE::::

Downloading through the MBP and moving the lha dfiles over, then unpacking, works. It's possible i may have not let the files download completely before opening the archive. instant downloads of 33MB files doesnt seem right.

Am now going to try Timberwolf and see if i can geet firefox working. Odyssey does spoof FF but it's the idea driving me here...

::::UPDATE 2::::

I decided to wipe my drive clean, all partitions, and start over. Lo and behold, what do i see in my Media Toolbox but the 1TB drive! After remembering to hit ENTER each time I renme a drive (why it automatically named them DH3 for a boot drive after I cleared the others I have no clue) and rebooting a few time and getting the video right, I am now pleased to be typing this on the Amiga, named Kym for reasons that should be obvious , with a 256GB SSD boot, Work and Games drive, and a 1TB secondary drive, on a 1600x900 screen!

I'm officially happy!!

Last edited by StantheAmigaMan on 20-Nov-2015 at 04:24 AM.
Last edited by StantheAmigaMan on 20-Nov-2015 at 12:27 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Nov-2015 15:51:13
#9 ]
Elite Member

@StantheAmigaMan

Amya? Is that her name? Then she became Kym. Please explain?

1993 was early to jump ship. Windows (FW) was still crap. Even if you could fully customise it and change window border colours. Lots of friends used it. Did Shania Twain mention it in her song? That don't impress me much.

That's good you got it going and had a clean out. And yes trying to unpack incomplete archive would give errors.

What did you download it with? iBrowse, NetSurf and MUI-OWB all have progress bars AFAIK.

Internet okay otherwise? If you can't download at home from OS4 something is up.

Why do I ask so many questions? Why am I lacking in advice?

pavlor 
Posted on 20-Nov-2015 16:30:59
#10 ]
Elite Member

@StantheAmigaMan

Timberwolf from OS4depot will probably not work on your setup, because some files are missing. If you don´t find these on the net, just PM me your email and I will send lzx archive that helped me with the same problem.

Don´t expect too much from Timberwolf. Yes, it works, but it is slow (much slower than Odyssey) and uses older engine. It may also crash sometimes.

Other software you could try:

AmiCygnix ("unix" GUI enviroment for AbiWord, Gimp, Gnumeric etc) - Reaction/MUI based applications are faster, but this offers compatibility to mainstream world (.doc/.docx/.rtf/.xls/.xlxs etc.).

Video: There are several MPlayer versions: MUIMPlayer has fastest decoding, but slow video display on Radeon HD cards, MPlayer from LiveForIt has two versions (older and NG - older is faster, but NG supports newer codecs; both work good with composite video feature of 4.1FE).

QT: Great GUI package, recommended applications are smTube (youtube player) and qpdfview (PDF viewer, however on 4.1 Classic I prefer AmiPDF budled with the OS).

MP3: AmigaAMP or TuneNet (this one supports internet radios, but may crash sometimes), choice is yours.

Feel free to ask any other questions and enjoy your new computer!

Anonymous 
Posted on 20-Nov-2015 16:34:45
# ]

@pavlor

Quote:

MP3: AmigaAMP or TuneNet (this one supports internet radios, but may crash sometimes), choice is yours.

AmigaAmp does too.

Some assembly required, though

Report this post  
pavlor 
Posted on 20-Nov-2015 16:41:14
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Raziel

Thanks! I don´t listen to radios, so I missed this feature.

Severin 
Posted on 20-Nov-2015 18:44:04
#13 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

look here: https://www.internet-radio.com/, works in IB with this script when you click a PLS link:

/* AmigaAmp3 stream from IBrowse*/
OPTIONS RESULTS

Path = "Appdir:amigaamp3"
PortAddr = "AMIGAAMP"

PARSE ARG URL
IF (URL = '' | URL = '?') THEN DO
SAY 'URL/A'
EXIT 20
END

IF ~SHOW('Ports', 'AMIGAAMP') THEN DO
ADDRESS COMMAND
"Run >NIL: " || Path
"WaitForPort " || PortAddr
ADDRESS(PortAddr)
END
ADDRESS(PortAddr)
OPEN URL
EXIT

Create a mime type:
Audio/*
(external viewer)
pls
rx
ibrowse:arexx/aamp3.rexx "%f"

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 20-Nov-2015 21:27:25
#14 ]

@Hypex

I had to go back and re-read… Amya? I originally put Amiga ;) I know AmigaOS doesn't use auto-corr…….ect dammit I typed that on the MBP that's why. I've owned several Amigas in my life, from an original Amiga in 1986 then went to a 1200 (at one point I had the Intel machine, A1200 and A1000) i 1996, then a 2000, 4000 and another 1200, a THIRD 1200 earlier this year and finally the AmigaOne 500.

I didn't jump ship as it were, but still as a purist I felt part of me die when I sold out, as I like to put it. :D

I originally downloaded everything with Origyn, and the reason I cleaned out was to remove the crap (read: multiple installations of software showing up in the task bar, and my lack of knowledge on how to clean an Amiga system, it HAS been several years, after all) it had accumulated. I still need to put the games back on which sadly takes hours to copy over.

My internet is fine otherwise :) Can't complain about the speed at all! And if you don't ask, you don't know! :)

StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 20-Nov-2015 21:30:54
#15 ]

@pavlor

Well, if Timberwolf is on the slow side I think I'll skip it. Odyssey works and works well! I only wish it loaded faster than it does. I like Qt development on the Linux side, good to know there's an Amiga version available! Now if I can just find a good C compiler, I'll be happy!

pavlor 
Posted on 20-Nov-2015 21:48:52
#16 ]
Elite Member

@StantheAmigaMan

Quote:
Now if I can just find a good C compiler, I'll be happy!

You may try SDK on Hyperion´s site.

StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 20-Nov-2015 23:49:57
#17 ]

@pavlor

Just downloaded it! Now to try configuring my printer…

Hypex 
Posted on 21-Nov-2015 3:45:20
#18 ]
Elite Member

@StantheAmigaMan

That's much better. You simply needed to dock another computer ship for needed services and kept the Amiga in bay.

I was forced to jump ship to my AmigaOne as the A1200/030@40 was to slow. Then later got an A4000. A bit too late. In between buying old Mac laptops and learning that. Also using as backup. My other ship.

Know what you mean about lack spell checkers. Really annoys me the more I forget words. The closest is iSpell I set up with YAM which can check "live" as you type but it tends to get stuck on simple punctuation and will block input while you type away before looking up and see your types went into oblivion. I have on occasion got desperate and coped to Wordworth, corrected it, then copied back again.

Know how hard it is to restore programs. But internet speed wasn't my concern, a stable error free connection is what I was thinking of.

BTW like your avatar, liked that character.

Last edited by Hypex on 21-Nov-2015 at 03:46 AM.

StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 21-Nov-2015 16:07:55
#19 ]

@Hypex

I love G'Kar, he's... indescreibable in one word. :)

Haven't tried the IDE yet, working on printetr issues. you wouldn't know how to geet a PCL3 printer printing anything, would you? I use an HP_Photosmart driver with my OfficeJet 8610, and it does print. rints out the postscript

For text printing it's fine. For anything serious? I masy need to do some work.\
ff to MicroCenter for some Cat 6 cable.

Hypex 
Posted on 22-Nov-2015 3:15:18
#20 ]
Elite Member

@StantheAmigaMan

That printer is a monster! According to specs it supports PCL 3 GUI and enhanced so looks compatible there. No postscript.

So having the HP_Photosmart driver in place is a good start. Now given it can print means your device setup is working.

Now you also said it prints out postscript. So it looks like something is configured to send postscript. You need to turn that off. Make sure the iHP_Photosmart driver s set and enabled in Printer Prefs. And anything else is configured to use the printer device and not any postscript drivers.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle