Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 145 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  1 min ago
 amigakit:  25 mins ago
 Rob:  40 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 56 mins ago
 pavlor:  3 hrs 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  What (Amiga) program to design a garage?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
mlehto 
Re: What (Amiga) program to design a garage?
Posted on 2-Feb-2016 17:26:08
#21 ]

@Dandy

In my experience, if you put point (of line) to let say x = 1,500 y = 2.000 and z = 0.000 after a while it is something like x = 1.513 or something. Same applies to all directions/axles.

It has something to do, how points (or point cloud) are calculated, fpu and so on. Maybe more easily with lines, what I tend to use quite lot in c4d.

Same happens in classic both 040/060 , os4. Even in osx and windows wersions of c4d, if I recall correctly.

It is not really rare thing. I think that you can see same behaviour in rhino3d, if you put acciracy too low.

And you are right, you cant use c4d in mechanical engineering anything beyond concepting :)

C4d can eat autocad format. Axles and sizes is from a*se, so I dont knowhow much use it has. They are allso so imported, that model is one big surface, so good texturing and so on is impossible with anything complicated parts. Maybe if you import part by part, but still lot of fixing...

I see every week, when my clients use catia and ptc creo. We are quite bit behind ...;)

Profile     Report this post  
mlehto 
Posted on 2-Feb-2016 17:49:44
#22 ]

@Deniil715

Quote:
What I was hoping for with this CAD experience was an easy way of drawing objects (beams, walls, rails, doors, etc. with perfect meassurements aligned to a grid of any scale.

I disagree, that woodwork for housebuilding needs to be drawn exact mm or tenths. You cant build it with that fine. As engineer i love idea of exactness, but it is not mandatory.

Either you draw it with as right as possible and you draw correct dimensioning. You have all wood in standard sizes what limits variation of sizes. Depend on... If you buy 1x4" lodges, they are not exactly that. Wood is living material :) you can buy in exact measures, but it is expensive.

Of course, if you use proper cad tool, you get exact drawings with exact dimensioning automatically.

Insulating is in standard dimensions. Same applies to all wall plating. I might start something like from rough dimensions of carage. Then think about, how many pieces of onsulates per wall and how many lodges between. Wall plates are normally so width, that one plate is same with as one insulating plus one lodge between. Then count putside lodges (if you use) how many.

Then you have quite exact measurements to walls with minimim waste and work. Other way adjust your rough dimensions to material dimensios.

Transfer idea to drawing board to computer to that program, what you prefer.

It is correct, that with trial and error any program needs several weeks to study.

That applies to other material allso, wich are with standard dimensions.

Have to hurry now...

Dandy 
Posted on 3-Feb-2016 9:19:20
#23 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

Quote:

Deniil715 wrote:
@Dandy

Sounds like I would get this job done faster in PPaint than any CAD program...

Not necessarily.
Just 3D CAD is a bit "tricky" - 2D is significantly more intuitive. But nevertheless you should have a basic knowledge about technical drawings (mechanical, electronical or architectural engineering).

2D or "2.5D" (perspective drawing) CAD Programs such as Maxon CAD are better suited to make a "quick and dirty" drawing.
E.g. Maxon CAD has a good built-in dimensioning tool and also Grid function, AFAIR.

Without specific 3D CAD training (and the Cycas manual, of course) it is more likely that you get quicker and better results with 2D CAD programs like e.g. Maxon CAD.

Quote:

Deniil715 wrote:

I've used DPaint/PPaint for electronic design, both circuit design and board layout (double-sided) with high precision.

Hmmm - I've never tried to do such things with DPaint/PPaint - I've always used tools like NewIO for such Tasks...

Quote:

Deniil715 wrote:

What I was hoping for with this CAD experience was an easy way of drawing objects (beams, walls, rails, doors, etc. with perfect meassurements aligned to a grid of any scale.

Best way for CAD laymen is to do such things with 2D CAD, I'd say...

Quote:

Deniil715 wrote:

So far (in Cycos) I found no way of forcing a grid to work on. There is Snap, but it only allows up to 9 "points" and is only active when 'holding' a line or moving an object, but when placing the starting point.

I'm not surprised and I can't be of much help here, as I'm not familiar with architectural CAD - I'm a mechanical engineer.

Perhaps one of these links can help you, in case you want to take a dive into Cycas:

Brief description of the actual Linux version of Cycas

brief German manual in PDF format - try to use an online translator

some YouTube Videos on how to work with actual Cycas and other CAD programs

Quote:

Deniil715 wrote:

In my perfect world:
1. Create work space of a specific size with a given measurement base: mm for example. I could do this somewhat but the scale and aspect settings made it pretty confusing...

Well, basically paint and CAD programs work differently.

First of all, you have to decide if you want to make a 2D or 3D design.

In case of 3D you would need a professional trainig in advance, anyway.
So lets focus on 2D here.

In 2D CAD you have to specify the drawing size (A4, A3, A2, A1, A0 or custom), as well as the scale of your drawing. Some programs reqire further Information like drawing name, drawing number and the like.

Quote:

Deniil715 wrote:

2. Activate a (possibly visual) grid at say 10mm, or 100mm to place beams and stuff perfectly aligned. Not possible. Maximum snap is 9 and no grid like in PPaint.

Hmmm - I rarely use a Grid in CAD.
In CAD you work with centre lines and accurate distances. Grids are something for raw sketches...

Quote:

Deniil715 wrote:

3. Easily place different things with different color onto this space. Is difficult because no grid and snap is not active when placing first point. No colors it seems.

As I already said: The approaches and the working methods in painting programs and CAD programs are completely different.
Although there are some similarities, you cannot apply the working method from a paint program to a CAD program.
At least not 1:1...

Quote:

Deniil715 wrote:

4. Easily copy and move a selection of objects. This was at least possible, but not very easy. Guess the program is simply old and unintuitive... This is the major weak spot of any paint program.

Yes, modern professional CAD Systems have this as a in-built function. In old Amiga CAD Software you mostly have to do this manually (create a part - e.g. a screw - and place copies of it in your drawing).

Dandy

Deniil715 
Posted on 3-Feb-2016 10:03:59
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Since I got DynaCADD as well, I might try that and see the difference.

Maybe if there was an easy way of typing in the dimension of objects I would be happier. Maybe then I could also make the objects in 3D from start :)
Btw. didn't know Cycos was actually 3D CAD, but I guess most CAD programs are. Makes little sense for most objects to be in 2D only ;)

I have to retry tonight. If I could draw/type/define in 3x 2D and then have the program display it in a 3D/perspective line mode when I'm done, I would be happy.

Dandy 
Posted on 3-Feb-2016 13:28:48
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

Quote:

Deniil715 wrote:
@Dandy

Great - that's the best CAD program for the Amiga I know of. Hope you got the manual as well?

Quote:

Deniil715 wrote:

Maybe if there was an easy way of typing in the dimension of objects I would be happier. ...

You mean in DynaCadd?
What exactly do you mean with "objects" (just to be sure)?

Quote:

Deniil715 wrote:

Btw. didn't know Cycos was actually 3D CAD, but I guess most CAD programs are.

I can't tell very much about Cycas as that is for architecture, while I am a mechanical engineer.

Regarding modern, professional CAD programs for mechanical engineering I think it is fair to say that they mostly are 2D and 3D.

Older Amiga CAD programs are mostly just plain 2D. An exception is MaxonCAD, as it is capable of so called "2 and a half"D. This means you can create perspective views with it.

The only CAD program on the Amiga offering real 3D is DynaCadd.
Back in the early ninetees I also had a tool to generate executable CNC files from DynaCadd 3D models. At school I could run those CNC files on the industrial CNC machines and let them produce the parts...

Quote:

Deniil715 wrote:

Makes little sense for most objects to be in 2D only ;)

Don't forget that initially CAD was just an replacement for drawing on paper. Other things like perspective drawings or even real 3D came later.

Quote:

Deniil715 wrote:

I have to retry tonight. If I could draw/type/define in 3x 2D and then have the program display it in a 3D/perspective line mode when I'm done, I would be happy.

Hmmm - possibly it would be easier to make your drawing in MaxonCAD using the built-in perspective functionality than with DynaCadd in real 3D mode...

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 3-Feb-2016 13:43:06
#26 ]
Elite Member

@mlehto

Quote:

mlehto wrote:
@Dandy

C4d can eat autocad format. Axles and sizes is from a*se, so I dont knowhow much use it has. They are allso so imported, that model is one big surface, so good texturing and so on is impossible with anything complicated parts. Maybe if you import part by part, but still lot of fixing...

I see every week, when my clients use catia and ptc creo. We are quite bit behind ...;)

I must have missed that C4D can import DXF format.
In this case you actually could use dimensionally correct 3D models from DynaCadd and render them in C4D...

Well, here @Ford we have Catia and C3P. These are highly complex industrial CAD programs that cost a fortune.

You could still do CAD for small businesses on the Amiga if you can use DynaCadd in combination with C4D and the CNC tools I once had. It's just not so comfortable like with modern all-in-one solutions, but possibly cheaper...

Dandy

Plaz 
Posted on 3-Feb-2016 14:21:43
#27 ]

Blender? Not the first thing you think of for CAD work, but I've found it useful in many ways. And it's free.

Blender for AOS4

And with Amiga roots... Trace for Amiga

Plaz

Dandy 
Posted on 9-Feb-2016 17:25:58
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Plaz

Quote:

Plaz wrote:
Blender? Not the first thing you think of for CAD work, but I've found it useful in many ways. And it's free.

Blender for AOS4

From your link:
"...
Advice for OS4.x for Classic users

When running blender on Classic setup memory is often a relatively scarce resource. Blender needs about 50/60 Mb to start and alittle more to render, so if you are limited to 128Mb then a swap partition is essential.
"

Aside from that, I just have an "experimental" installation of OS 4.0 classic, as my hardware config is not sufficiently supported in OS4 (just USB 1.1 support, just 10 mBit NIC support)...

Quote:

Plaz wrote:

And with Amiga roots... Trace for Amiga

Plaz

Hmmmm - I always thought "Blender" was ported from Linux?

Dandy

BoingBear 
Posted on 9-Feb-2016 23:22:14
#29 ]

@Deniil715

Quote:

Deniil715 wrote:
@Dandy

Maybe if there was an easy way of typing in the dimension of objects I would be happier. Maybe then I could also make the objects in 3D from start :)
Btw. didn't know Cycos was actually 3D CAD, but I guess most CAD programs are. Makes little sense for most objects to be in 2D only ;)

I never tried DynaCADD myself, but did use CycasCAD for a while and I would suggest using any CAD program that has tools built in for Architectural Drawings, instead of general 2D or 3D programs.

Since this is a simple garage you are trying to design and draw, you could probably draw it in 2D and print it out finished, in less time than it would take you to learn how to draw in 3D, unless you have previous 3D drawing experience (which I assume you don't have, from reading your comments).

If your government agency provides guidelines or examples of what is required for building plan drawings, get that first and see what they are looking to have included on a set of blue prints for a simple garage. Then you will have a better idea of what you need to complete on your drawings, so you can submit them for review and approval. There is usually much more required than what most people think, including descriptions and notes that comply with your local building laws. These details can be much more time consuming than the actual drawing of the building components.

Good luck.

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Feb-2016 14:11:23
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

Did you also try this?

http://www.amigaos.net/software/118/mindspace

yoodoo2 
Posted on 10-Feb-2016 14:49:38
#31 ]

@Hypex

Thanks for suggesting MindSpace.

If you're looking to do some quick n dirty, rough layouts, MindSpace might be fine - I did manage to replicate the Amy05 board after all.

if you want any degree of accuracy then one of the CAD programs would be better suited to the task.

We ran 5 Recursion Computer Fairs before hitting the exit condition

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 14:22:23
#32 ]
Elite Member

@yoodoo2

No probs. First thing that came to mind. Unintended pun. Guess the time of DrawStudio is over.

An Amy05 replica sounds pretty good. I tried to design a backyard with Fusion Paint once. It was the early 90's. It was all I had.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle