Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 98 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

fingus

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 fingus:  2 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  6 mins ago
 Karlos:  21 mins ago
 amigagr:  28 mins ago
 MagicSN:  36 mins ago
 pixie:  50 mins ago
 Hypex:  56 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Is it worth buying an AmigaOne 500 at this time?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
slygon 
Is it worth buying an AmigaOne 500 at this time?
Posted on 6-Feb-2016 21:58:26
#1 ]

I have been watching both ACUBE and A-EON for a while to see if any new AmigaOne machines come up for sale... Well, the AmigaOne 500 Plus is for sale as of today... I know they make these in small batches.

My question is... from a complete newbie.... is it worth buying one of these today? I have been reading as much as I can find on the new X5000 and the A1222, but I can't find even projected release dates for either.....

So, should I keep waiting, or buy today?

- Slygon

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Re: Is it worth buying an AmigaOne 500 at this time?
Posted on 6-Feb-2016 22:20:53
#2 ]
Elite Member

@slygon

Performance-wise both A1-500 and A1-A1222 should be similar (except FPU demanding applications of course), A1-A1222 may have lower price, but this is only my speculation. No-one can guarantee early release date of Tabor boards. As of X5000, it exists (waiting for OS4 drivers...), with price above 2000 USD.

You say you are "complete newbie". Don´t hesitate to ask more questions about these computers/OS4 before purchase.

And of course...

Welcome!

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 6-Feb-2016 22:59:48
#3 ]

IMHO, before commiting on anything, buy OS4.1 FE for Classic(it's pretty cheap), you can run it on your PC under emulation, and see whether you'd like investing in seriously expensive hardware just to run OS4.

iggy 
Posted on 6-Feb-2016 23:05:43
#4 ]

@slygon

And yes folks, Acube claims to have a least one SAM460 board in stock right now!
It may not be there tomorrow, but its there now.

slygon 
Posted on 6-Feb-2016 23:45:59
#5 ]

Thanks for the help so far!

I should clarify my "newbie" comment a bit.... I grew up with Commodore computers... I had a C64 when I was a kid until I went to college in the 90's.... I never owned an Amiga... always wanted one...

I HAVE been playing with UAE in various forms for years... I think I have bought every major release of Amiga Forever.....

I HAVE purchased AmigaOS 4.1 FE Classic, and have installed it with some success.... I have it working just fine in Amiga Forever.... trying to get it to work on my Mac with FS-UAE... I have it installed, but can not figure out networking.... but that is another topic...

As I have never owned an Amiga, either the original classic by Commodore etc. or any of the AmigaOne's... so while I have read a fair amount on the hardware, I have no experience with it...

And yes... I do like the OS... both the classic versions, and the new one.... I am a computer hobbyist, and I have seen a lot of the "tension" and frustration with the current platform.... that is why I was curious if people think getting a A1222 or even the X5000 will be worth it.... or will it be years before they successfully run AmigaOS... everything I see online from beta testers is from the Linux side.....

Thanks!

-Slygon

BigD 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 0:24:29
#6 ]
Elite Member

@slygon

I think there are some NDAs on the Amiga OS4 side of things but that doesn't mean it isn't being tested it's just the people that have it can't talk about it.

wawa 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 0:56:31
#7 ]
Elite Member

@slygon

Quote:
that is why I was curious if people think getting a A1222 or even the X5000 will be worth it.... or will it be years before they successfully run AmigaOS...

judging by what has been said elsewhere there must be some problems supporting x5k by os4, so who knows how long it takes. the a1222 being behind is a schedule. rumour is morphos 3.10 will probably be released in spring, which apparently will include support for x5k.

Quote:
everything I see online from beta testers is from the Linux side.....

no wonder.

noXLar 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 1:05:31
#8 ]
Cult Member

@slygon

okay, there is alot of negative about amigaos4, if you have tested it with emulator, you now what you get, only much better if you use those amigaone machines, i have aos4 classic/winuae and sam460ex & x1000 and have a lot of fun with those, i don't regret my purchase at all, it can't compete with mainstream as you probably know, but you can du alot with the system still and have fun. my best amiga experience from the days was mostly the the operating system, and os4.1 is just perfect for me, but thats me.

slygon 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 1:50:17
#9 ]

Thanks for the feedback... I am seriously looking at that AmigaOne 500.....

I also don't buy into all of the negativity toward OS 4.x... Now, while I have followed the post Commodore news off and on ever since the demise of my once favorite computer company, I never jumped on board with a new post Commodore Amiga machine and had to deal with the delays, promises, etc..... unfortunately, today, Amiga is just a hobby machine... they make the hardware in very small batches.... and it isn't cheap... I don't know much about Hyperion, but my guess is that they have a very small staff for AmigaOS... just not much of a market....

OK... If I were to make this jump into a real AmigaOne... and this may be discussed elsewhere, but what are the "must have" applications/games? Games don't really work in the emulated version....

Thanks again everyone!

-Slygon

zzd10h 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 1:55:08
#10 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@slygon

If you really want an OS4 native system (despite the fact than OS4 is no more actively maintained, see another Amigaworld thread), SAM460 and X1000 look like the best choice.

OS4 on X5000 seems far to be completed (certainly not the fault of AEon) and not even in dream for Tabor...

If i was you, i will wait 6 more months to see if something change in OS4 direction.
2,5 years back, I will not have bought my X1000 in 2013 regarding OS4 lack of updates in 2016...

My advice, keep UAE

Last edited by zzd10h on 07-Feb-2016 at 01:58 AM.

Hans 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 2:17:40
#11 ]
Elite Member

@zzd10h

Quote:

zzd10h wrote:
... (despite the fact than OS4 is no more actively maintained, see another Amigaworld thread)...

I can understand you being upset at the lack of public updates, but to say that it's no longer actively maintained is grossly inaccurate. Development and bug-fixing is continuing, and the reasons for the lack of updates was explained in that thread (but buried under a torrent of FUD).

Whether you agree with the reasons given or not, AmigaOS 4.x is being actively developed. And to be make it crystal clear, I'm talking about work on OS components, and not just getting it working on the X5000 and A1222.

Hans

zzd10h 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 2:29:39
#12 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Hans

No, sorry, i didn't received updates since more than 1 year, it's not actively maintained...

And yes, i have read the Cyborg explanations, the fact is that a potential new customer of this OS have to know how Hyperion considers his "customers".
I'm not a betatester like you, therefore i have not the same feeling that you about this lack of respect (lack of communication/updates).

It's my opinion ;) !

Last edited by zzd10h on 07-Feb-2016 at 02:30 AM.

Hans 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 2:56:31
#13 ]
Elite Member

@zzd10h

Quote:

zzd10h wrote:
@Hans

No, sorry, i didn't received updates since more than 1 year, it's not actively maintained...

To be blunt, you're wrong. You don't want to believe me. Okay, that's fine. But don't expect misinformation like this to go unchallenged.

Quote:
I'm not a betatester like you, therefore i have not the same feeling that you about this lack of respect (lack of communication/updates).

I'd appreciate it if you could refrain from jumping to conclusions. Yes, I'm a betatester (and a developer), but you have no idea how I feel or what I think about this matter.

Hans

jorit2 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 3:42:32
#14 ]

@Hans

Quote:

To be blunt, you're wrong. You don't want to believe me. Okay, that's fine. But don't expect misinformation like this to go unchallenged.
Hans

I guess you're familiar with the saying "the customer is always right".

Even if YOU know what's going on behind the scenes, and I do actually believe the crew is working hard, willing to get something out the door (in other words, I'm not willing to use this post to bash any of the involved parties), fact remains that the customer doesn't see any of it, let alone anything tangible, and his conclusion/feeling that nothing is happening is justified.

Evert

Last edited by jorit2 on 07-Feb-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Last edited by jorit2 on 07-Feb-2016 at 03:56 AM.

Overflow 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 3:44:57
#15 ]

@Hans

I dont have a bone in this discussion, but Hyperion got room for improvement with regards to communications. I have generally considered zzd10h to be one of the more positive/upbeat AOS4 users. The fact that he has gone sour should tell them something.

A post on Hyperion news section once a month wouldnt kill'em, even if they didnt have much to report.
The vampire/apollo seems much more eager to interact, even tho people goes off on unrealistic tangents on irc. Usually 40-60 people in channel, always well mannered.

I know your a betatester, and not in a position to do anything about it (except maybe nudge them).

number6 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 4:18:49
#16 ]
Elite Member

@slygon

Quote:
but what are the "must have"

In the days when Commodore Amiga was successful I must admit I never heard anyone ask what they (the prospective customer) must have.

When you walked into a fully functional Commodore store I was more accustomed to an employee asking me "what do you enjoy" "what do you want to do".

Only then could you begin to define what a "must have" application truly meant.

In summary, no one should tell you what YOU must have. My 2¢.

sundown 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 4:30:31
#17 ]
Elite Member

@slygon

Welcome to 'bitchy' AW! LOL

Its true that OS4 is very active in the update stage, also true that the h/w situation is affecting updates to the public. I can also tell you that there is no one that likes the current situation. At some point, lack of updates will end, some will rejoice, others will still hate.

iggy 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 5:07:42
#18 ]

@jorit2

Quote:
"the customer is always right"

Yeah, that IS the saying.
But it isn't because its right.
Its just a good business principle to maintain your company's reputation.

I can assure you that often the customer is a raging a-hole.

You just can't tell them that to their faces.

sundown 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 5:23:32
#19 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

Quote:
I can assure you that often the customer is a raging a-hole.

2 sides for every coin

mbrantley 
Posted on 7-Feb-2016 8:17:03
#20 ]
Cult Member

Let's be honest.... just a little update or two at some point during the calendar year 2015 would have had customers feeling better about things this whole time and would have cost pretty much nothing to the ongoing development work. It's not too late to pump something out via Amiupdate. A fixed font.library would be a good one, I'd imagine. Do it Monday, would be my advice.

Hyperion, please don't pay attention to any of the "usual suspects" that annoy you so and hound your every move and decsion on forums. They won't agree with you no matter what and have zero stake in this whole thing anyway. But do please pay attention to the paying customers, always. Always. Don't take us for granted.

As to buying a Sam460 machine now..... that's up to you. I suppose by now that bit of hardware must be pretty well supported by the OS. That was a long time coming. I've never owned one of those. I do own two Sam440ep (mini version) machines and two X1000s. The 440 is of course much slower and less capable than the X1000. The 460 must be somewhere in between. If it were me, I might hold out for the X5000 if I thought I could swing it costwise and if I could wait the unknown amount of time for availability.

In my actual case, I grabbed the extra X1000 when I had the chance because I want to be running one of these rigs for years and years to come. It's a special and fun machine despite the cost per performance and despite slow software development. But in my opinion there's not a justifiable reason to make the development seem even slower than it is to customers by holding back a few bug fixes for more than a year while the bigger development work goes on.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle