Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 143 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OneTimer1

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  9 secs ago
 matthey:  6 mins ago
 pavlor:  22 mins ago
 VooDoo:  23 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr ago
 zipper:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 55 mins ago
 michalsc:  3 hrs 5 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 14 mins ago
 gryfon:  3 hrs 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Blues Instrumental Recorded In HD-REC
Register To Post

PosterThread
broadblues 
Blues Instrumental Recorded In HD-REC
Posted on 10-Feb-2016 21:52:07
#1 ]
Amiga Developer Team

To be honest I prefer Audio Evolution over HD-REC for actual recording of "real" instruments, but I decided to see what I could get out of HD-REC and this is the result.

https://www.reverbnation.com/andybroad/song/25299024-instrumental-rough-mix

Profile     Report this post  
eliyahu 
Re: Blues Instrumental Recorded In HD-REC
Posted on 10-Feb-2016 22:26:19
#2 ]

@broadblues

listening now while replying. very nice indeed. you know, with hd-rec, audio evolution, bars and pipes, phonolith, horny, sound fx, CAMD, digibooster, et al, it's amazing what can be done on our NG amigas with a mix of newer and older software.

-- eliyahu

broadblues 
Posted on 10-Feb-2016 22:51:49
#3 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@eliyahu

glad you like it.

Yeah, with a mix and match approach you can do quite a lot. Some config tweaking required here an there too.

bison 
Posted on 10-Feb-2016 23:27:50
#4 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

NIce solo on 'Holding These Feelings'.

One can't help but reflect on the fact that blues is a very suitable genre for the Amiga.

jorit2 
Posted on 10-Feb-2016 23:41:57
#5 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
@broadblues

listening now while replying. very nice indeed. you know, with hd-rec, audio evolution, bars and pipes, phonolith, horny, sound fx, CAMD, digibooster, et al, it's amazing what can be done on our NG amigas with a mix of newer and older software.

-- eliyahu

... almost sounds like you're on a little OS4-campaign trail of your own

Evert

eliyahu 
Posted on 10-Feb-2016 23:54:59
#6 ]

@jorit2

Quote:
... almost sounds like you're on a little OS4-campaign trail of your own

heh. no. but i did want to point out that there is a nice selection of software available. plus i really enjoyed the track.

-- eliyahu

wawa 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 0:45:37
#7 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:
To be honest I prefer Audio Evolution over HD-REC for actual recording of "real" instruments, but I decided to see what I could get out of HD-REC and this is the result.

of curiosity, why is this preference? i have only once or twice tested ae on pc or uae i guess and have not came far with it. however hd-rec was my choice for hd recording on one of my a4000, mostly multiple tracks of quite dirty guitars, almost no effect, therefor admittedly rather basic demands, but being 32bit integer vs cubase being internally float it though always sounded in comparison more crisp and was immediately easy to set up or even to turn up on demand. this all with some basic old sounblaster card picked up from trash. this is one of the last serious applications i can think of for my amigas. ;)

broadblues 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 1:50:59
#8 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@wawa

Quote:

of curiosity, why is this preference?

1. Audio Evolution has better AudioMode Selection.

HD-Rec just brings up the system prefs which means modifying tsuff at a system global level which should be set by at an application level.

2. Audio Evolution has a 'drop in' / 'punch in'facility.

3. Audio Evolution has automation which means when mixing you can vary the parameters of the EQ gain compression whatever over the duration of the song.

HD_rec has no autmation which means any adjustments to samples recorded need to be done in the editor window and are destructive (they change the sample) there is undo ofcourse but that's not the same as just moveing a point on an automation line till you get the right sound.

AE4's downside is a lack of MIDI, though you can link it to Horny via extreme, this isn't quite as comfortable.

All the above is IMHO and from a mostly acoustic musicians bias, someone interested more in MIDI based music might have oposing sentiments.

Last edited by broadblues on 11-Feb-2016 at 01:54 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 14:37:45
#9 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

I knew it was you!

This is the second time lately I've heard of lack of MIDI in AE. Well it does support MIDI but not enough or not in the way that is needed. So I'm told.

Yes the automation is good once you get the hang of it. And even easier for some things than modern software I've tried. Including the dual delay which I find works really well.

To my knowledge, AE doesen't have a tempo map that I could see. So unless you have robotic timing a bit hard to grid a "real" instrument.

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 14:45:55
#10 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Even 32-bit int should be enough overhead for 65,536 16-bit samples or 256 24-bit samples. Before you master it down to 16 or 24-bit.

But FP is popular these days. Mostly for FX. And for "cheating" by allowing the samples to be distorted without signal loss.

broadblues 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 14:54:34
#11 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Hypex

Quote:

I knew it was you!

Who else?

Quote:

This is the second time lately I've heard of lack of MIDI in AE. Well it does support MIDI but not enough or not in the way that is needed. So I'm told.

It's got support for starting and being started from other midi programs like horney or bars and pipes etc. I've used this but it's a little tricky to setup, and if you have no external midi synth you'll likely need two sound crads one for AE4 one for the midi program (done this on my SAM with the on board sound, but it suffers from interference on my SAM)

Quote:

Yes the automation is good once you get the hang of it. And even easier for some things than modern software I've tried. Including the dual delay which I find works really well.

It meets most of my needs though there are a couple of quirks.

Quote:

To my knowledge, AE doesen't have a tempo map that I could see. So unless you have robotic timing a bit hard to grid a "real" instrument.

It's got a metronome, so play along to that, if the groove is more complex you can alwaya create and export a drum track from HD-REC but I don't think either of them have variable tempo.

Hans 
Posted on 12-Feb-2016 3:38:23
#12 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

What hardware are you using to record? Based on the quality I'm pretty sure that a chep sblive and "low-cost PC microphone" weren't involved

Hans

Hypex 
Posted on 12-Feb-2016 14:11:38
#13 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:
Who else?

No one else I know of. Pretty much got it covered there.

Quote:
t's got support for starting and being started from other midi programs like horney or bars and pipes etc

Okay that is a shame MIDI wasn't developed futher for it.

Quote:
It meets most of my needs though there are a couple of quirks.

I find it works really well for a stereo delay. I tried it on vocals and a minute later I almost had the timing I wanted.

Quote:
It's got a metronome, so play along to that, if the groove is more complex you can alwaya create and export a drum track from HD-REC but I don't think either of them have variable tempo.

Yes a metronome could be used but that is forcing the musician to a strict tempo. With a whack of the rhythm stick. Hit me. Hit me.

Most real music and especially drums have the BPM all over the place. Well that is it might vary by 5% for each beat or bar.

The exception being tempo based techno. But since that isn't real music...

broadblues 
Posted on 13-Feb-2016 12:18:59
#14 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Hans

Quote:

What hardware are you using to record? Based on the quality I'm pretty sure that a chep sblive and "low-cost PC microphone" weren't involved

I have a Terratec phase 22 sound card installed in my SAM Flex. Using the Envy24HT driver. Whilst being quite minimalist in some ways (no monitoring of the record input (at least not with our driver) for example) it has good quality full size jack sockets (standard 1/4 inch sockets as used by most instruments). Not having to fiddle arround with jack to mini jack adapters which always end up crackling half way through a recording, is a big boon.

No microphone was used in this case as I used a Line 6 Pod Pro amp simulator direct into my mixing desk for the guitar and bass parts.

When I do use a mic I have a Rode NT-24 condesor mic for vocals / acoustic guitar recording, which is an exceptionally good mic for the price. Needs phantom power so I have to use it with an external mixer.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 13-Feb-2016 14:04:53
#15 ]

@broadblues

I'm wondering how did you manage to get AE working reliable. I have it crashing too easily.

Listening to those sample clips I started to become more interested to this kind of music. It could be good to listen to while doing programming. It's fancy how much one man can do accompaning himself and stomping his foot. (I started wondering to mic my foot while playing a synth.)

@broadblues
You have really good guitar playing skills.

I'm wondering how do you find time for all of that, programming, being musician and so on.

Last edited by Tomppeli on 13-Feb-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 16-Feb-2016 14:28:21
#16 ]
Elite Member

Another one we shouldn't forget is Pro Station Audio. Last I heard of this it was packaged on a bundle with MorphOS 1.4. And doesn't work on MOS 2.x. Sounded quite advanced. Be good to have the source!

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle