Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 144 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OldFart:  30 mins ago
 pavlor:  33 mins ago
 zipper:  51 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 michalsc:  2 hrs 36 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 gryfon:  3 hrs 1 min ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  My favorite Amiga inspired OS
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
RobertJDohnert 
My favorite Amiga inspired OS
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 1:10:20
#1 ]

Ok not trying to start a fight or flame war. I played with several Amiga/Amiga inspired OS's as I have gotten the time and I have to admit in some ways its been enjoyable in others ways its been like picking at rotting flesh on the bones. I have had several hours of "Oh thats pretty cool" and others where I have completely dismantled the machine and stuffed it in the closet. Under emulation I tried AmigaOS 2, 3.1, 3.9 and of those choices I liked the stability of 3.9 the most. It was easy to load up applications and it was very stable. I did however like the look of AmigaOS 2.0. AmigaOS 3.1 was constant crashing to be fair I dont know if that was because of emulation or a problem with 3.1. Next came AROS and AROS was cool. I worked with Icaros and I still have it loaded up and Icaros improved over the first version I tried. Next came AmigaOS 4.1 FE on a SAM460 and I will say it was merely OK. I do appreciate the effort of the AmigaOS development team but its picky. I had to actually hunt down a USB hub that would work. i couldnt get it to mount a USB stick over 4 gb. I mostly stuck with 1 or 2 gb older flash drives and I had a ton of issues getting networking to work. But once I got everything ironed out it was a stable experience and I think with a little fit and finish (and some USB 2.0 drivers) it would be really, really good. Now, MorphOS. This was a very polished version of AmigaOS 3.9, thats what it felt like anyway, it didnt crash and was very stable. I have it on a Powerbook and on a G5 and it is very quick. So my favorite Amiga inspired OS would be MorphOS. I wouldnt use any of them as a daily driver as it stands. I look at it like a ham radio. Its cool to tinker with but only on my free time.

Profile     Report this post  
persia 
Re: My favorite Amiga inspired OS
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 2:25:37
#2 ]

@RobertJDohnert
AEROS on a Pi has become my "Amiga" of choice nowadays.

agami 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 4:14:30
#3 ]

@RobertJDohnert

To me, Amiga Inspired OS is different to Amiga Compatible OS:
Of the Inspired my favourite is BeOS, and by extension Haiku.
For the Compatible it is AROS, and it has nothing to do with it being free.

klx300r 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 5:37:57
#4 ]
Elite Member

there's no right or wrong so just use whichever flavour OS you like and keep the Amiga spirit and have fun;otherwise, like the old saying goes 'opinions are like aholes, everyone has one'

Last edited by klx300r on 11-Feb-2016 at 05:40 AM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

pavlor 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 15:29:56
#5 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

For me: AROS (both 68k and x86).

Birbo 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 18:26:56
#6 ]
Cult Member

The thing is: I would like to have the same feeling like I had in the 90s...

I saw all these crappy Windows 3 things (like: https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_win3_showcase&tab=collection), and my Amiga was so much more fun like other systems...

TiredofLife 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 18:34:30
#7 ]

@persia

Could you give me a bit of background as to why?
Explain some of the day to day uses you put it to?

I ask because I have Aeros on the Pi but haven't had the anywhere as much time as I would have liked to play around with it.

Cheers

utri007 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 19:33:50
#8 ]

@RobertJDohnert

Did you actually tested OS4.1FE? As it doesn't have any problems with usb sticks. There has been usb 2.0 drivers some years. I would doubt that you have tested OS4(.1) several years ago or installation was really old.

Last edited by utri007 on 11-Feb-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Hans 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 21:28:00
#9 ]
Elite Member

@utri007

Quote:

utri007 wrote:
@RobertJDohnert

Did you actually tested OS4.1FE? As it doesn't have any problems with usb sticks. There has been usb 2.0 drivers some years. I would doubt that you have tested OS4(.1) several years ago or installation was really old.

Well, he did say "AmigaOS 4.1 FE on a SAM460."

You're right that USB 2.0 is already included.

It's possible that Robert simply had some very bad luck when it came to USB and internet. I regularly use an 8GB USB stick, and don't recall having any trouble with any of the USB sticks that I've tried. My 4 port USB KVM actually behaves better on AmigaOS than windows. On WIndows I get it spitting out repeated keypresses when typing after some inactivity, whereas this doesn't happen on AmigaOS.

Likewise, I've always found it easy to get my AmigaOS machines online; DHCP pretty much takes care of the set up for me.

Hans

RedMelons 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 21:48:22
#10 ]

@persia

Is it possible to get a trial version of Aeros to try on my Pi?

iggy 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 21:54:10
#11 ]

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
Now, MorphOS. This was a very polished version of AmigaOS 3.9

'version of Amiga OS'?
I liked the 'Amiga inspired' description better.

Quote:
So my favorite Amiga inspired OS would be MorphOS.

I'm biased, so obviously I would quote that.
But you are right about stability.
I do use it every day, but my computing needs are modest.

I have installed AROS a few times, it is getting there.
And OS4, until running that in UAE was sanctioned the cost of entry was too high for me, BUT the screen shots I have seen look good.

Daedalus 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 22:55:48
#12 ]

@Hans

Indeed, often USB is luck of the draw. The big operating systems have the luxury of very mature and tolerant USB stacks, but once you go away from them (for example, and Amiga-like OS, a satellite decoder box etc.) you very quickly find that many USB devices don't exactly meet the standards and get rejected.

I have a number of USB sticks and hard drives here that are split more or less 50/50 between those that work on MorphOS and those that work on OS 4.1. Many of them are rejected by my Blu-Ray player or my DVR too. They all work under Linux and Windows, but the only USB storage I have that actually works on both MorphOS and OS4 is a card reader with a CF card in it. Which is fortunate as it's also the card I use for transferring to my A1200s, so it gets a lot of use transferring between the three OSes.

In my experience, AROS is the one that's trickiest to use. Of course, the hosted version runs fine but the native x86 version is fussy about graphics cards and none of my current PCs have a card that will let it run in anything other than VESA modes. It also messed up my triple-booting Linux/AROS/Haiku setup, which wasn't ideal.

MorphOS is nice, and it's great to bring on the road on my G4 iBook - still going strong with a 2.5 hour battery life! Generally the OS is nice, but I find Ambient to be not particularly comfortable to use, and some components have to be copied across from Workbench 3.x to get full functionality. It doesn't get much use for me when I'm at home, generally find I prefer using OS 3 or OS 4.

I think maybe I've been lucky, but my A1-XE G4 has been very well behaved. I bought it 2nd hand nearly 10 years ago and other than feeding it CR2032s, not being able to use the 2nd DIMM slot and fixing a dodgy PCI slot it's been very good to me. USB 2 just worked once I plugged in the first USB 2 card I found, and OS 4.1 has never given me any problems. Workbench could do with a couple of extra features, but anything I actually really needed could be done with some simple ARexx scripting. RunInUAE integration out of the box is a great touch, though the 4.1FE installation wasn't the newest version.

I have 3 Amiga 1200s, all running 3.9, all expanded to various degrees. One dual-boots 3.1 as well depending on whether the mouse button is held down or not, which I use as an MP3 jukebox and WHDLoad machine in my living room. The new icon.library makes them feel a lot more comfortable when sharing files between them and MorphOS / OS4. But overall, OS4 gets the most use for me with my heavily expanded 1200 tower (060, Mediator etc.) relegated to occasional testing use.

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 23:51:06
#13 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

+1

No surprise that these are my favorites too (expecially Aros 68k)

Templario 
Posted on 13-Feb-2016 0:41:53
#14 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert
MorphOS of course!

Trekiej 
Posted on 13-Feb-2016 1:19:12
#15 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

another plus one

John 3:16

Belxjander 
Posted on 13-Feb-2016 11:13:34
#16 ]
Cult Member

@RobertJDohnert

My own experiences are primarily the 68K systems from Workbench 2 onwards...
I used to run a hybrid that I hand installed from my first A500plus and continued using on an A1200 then the A600 A3000 and A4000 machines which followed, it died during a backup in attempting to use AMIthlon to recover the drive.

I've since gotten a sam440 (thanks to everyone who helped... I still have a list of who and how much).
which I am using as my primary desktop machine.

Before the sam440 I generally only got to play with AROS from nightly images and 3.x in AMIthlon.

Personally 4.x on the sam440 seems more polished than AROS nightlies, but I do admit to not really spending that much time trying to deal with wanderer in AROS.

I've never had a chance with checking out MorphOS so don't really have an opinion about it.
Maybe someday I'll get a chance with checking it out.

as for any driver issues... only ever had AOS4 blow up it's network stack in relation to my smartphone and tablet. otherwise it will pickup two of three identical USB sticks I have here (all three are 8GB sticks with serial number separation).

and that was in trying all three together, one at a time has no issues.

I'm also the owner of a functional PCI USB3 controller which I am randomly experimenting with in attempting to write my own USB3 Host driver (I still don't know how to deal with the PCI bridge chip on the card as the controller chip is a PCIx1 Renesas chip. )

Maybe some standard means of mapping through bridge controllers for PCI devices is required?
no idea if anyone else is even thinking about it.

other than that I'm still dealing with my own projects and hope to have something presentable with the IME once I get past a current organization/formatting hurdle with regards to some dictionary indexing.

I also need to spend time and work out what kind of minimalistic UI elements make sense.

OlafS25 
Posted on 13-Feb-2016 13:12:23
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Belxjander

the nightlies are for developers to test changes not for users, in fact they are even misleading. If you want to try Aros then use a distribution

logicalheart 
Posted on 13-Feb-2016 19:25:24
#18 ]
Cult Member

My favorite is AmigaOS4.1 Final Edition on the X1000. When AmigaOS went from 4.0 to 4.1 ~update 5 or so, that's when I could finally let go of my A4000, instead of someone having to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

I've never had trouble with any USB stick yet, up to 32 GB so far, and networking DHCP has worked fine. This has been true for my Sam440, Sam460, and X1000.

Kicko 
Posted on 13-Feb-2016 20:59:00
#19 ]
Elite Member

@utri007

I do run os4.1fe on x1000 and i can say it works better with some usb sticks and does corrupt some other usb sticks. So its a plug and pray :)

marko 
Posted on 13-Feb-2016 23:07:37
#20 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

AmigaOS 4.1 FE on my Sam is like eating ice scream on a hot summerday

I'm loving it ...

m4rko.com/AMIGA

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle