Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 132 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  16 secs ago
 amigakit:  9 mins ago
 Rob:  24 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  54 mins ago
 zipper:  58 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 1 min ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 pavlor:  3 hrs 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Midi under WinUAE for OS4/OS3.9 question
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Kicko 
Midi under WinUAE for OS4/OS3.9 question
Posted on 13-Mar-2016 22:58:49
#1 ]
Elite Member

Hi. As my x1000 is bricked im interesting if i can get hd-rec to work with my usb midi under winuae on windows.

On x1000 i used an 4port USB midi interface from ESI. Works with usb driver camd.library from Lyle.

Under winuae with os3.9 i can only get port 0 to work using old camd.driver and serial.device (midi port prefs)

Is there any way that i can make all my 3 hardware synthesizers to work with hd-rec and not only one ? Or am i without luck ?

How is it with OS4.1Fe classic under winuae. Can i fix so usb midi can work there somehow ? I have a working os4.1fe installed.

Would be nice to know, have 2 tunes i would finish before moving on to the other evil platform :)

Last edited by Kicko on 13-Mar-2016 at 11:00 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Re: Midi under WinUAE for OS4/OS3.9 question
Posted on 14-Mar-2016 0:14:03
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Kicko

alas, i cant tell about how hdrec performs under winuae other than as a recovery option. but given tonis track of record, id expect that with a proper midi interface its either a non issue or a queston of time to be implemented. i must say, with my truly a4ks hdrec has proven to be a dependable basic multitrack recorder which is way more than id expect of any midi sequencer. also hdrec is open source, even if written in an othodox basic dialect, such as amiblitz3 and using at least in one case forbidden internal structures (which renders it non working on aros68k for the time being) its a best tool in its area not even on amiga but on any platform it can be made run.

broadblues 
Posted on 14-Mar-2016 1:24:33
#3 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@wawa

Quote:

using at least in one case forbidden internal structures (which renders it non working on aros68k for the time being) i

Really? What would that be? Just wondering if it might explain a recent issue I experienced.

lylehaze 
Posted on 14-Mar-2016 2:23:13
#4 ]

@Kicko

Hello my friend.
Anything I offer here is guesswork, simply because I have never played with emulation.

If you're emulating a classic system, you have only the serial port to play with. So that would seem to limit you to one interface unless someone is writing fancy drivers.

If you're emulating AmigaOS4, then it becomes a question of how well the USB is set up.
I know the usb midi driver in OS4 can handle multiple ports per device, and multiple devices. So that would seem your best chance of getting lots of channels.

wawa 
Posted on 14-Mar-2016 10:59:45
#5 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:

broadblues wrote:
@wawa

Quote:

using at least in one case forbidden internal structures (which renders it non working on aros68k for the time being) i

Really? What would that be? Just wondering if it might explain a recent issue I experienced.

i think its in this thread, on a previous page wanderer, the coder of hd-rec mentions the issue. which reminds me, that i might read this myself more carefully, now that im in contact with georg working on aros gfx subsystem.

http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=20&topic_id=8201&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0

pavlor 
Posted on 14-Mar-2016 15:16:11
#6 ]
Elite Member

@lylehaze

Quote:
If you're emulating AmigaOS4, then it becomes a question of how well the USB is set up.

USB is not emulated in WinUAE/OS4-

Kicko 
Posted on 14-Mar-2016 21:02:34
#7 ]
Elite Member

Wonders how midi thru works. Maybe i can connect all 3 synthesizers after each other to only one midi port. Would that work and what would be the pros and cons ? :)

Tomppeli 
Posted on 14-Mar-2016 22:19:26
#8 ]

@Kicko

Quote:
Wonders how midi thru works. Maybe i can connect all 3 synthesizers after each other to only one midi port.

Of course it works. Set different receiving channel on each device. I haven't tested myself how many devices you can chain before the signal starts getting too much delay.

Kicko 
Posted on 16-Mar-2016 22:11:10
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Tomppeli

I connected the first synthesizer to midi in and out as usual and then thru to midi in to next and again thru to midi in to the last. I think its this way to connect 3 devices.

Originally when connecting to usb midi i have 3 x 16 channels. All have own unit.

If i use thru like i did in my example. Does that mean im limited to only 16 channels ? If so then have to split what channels to use on the first synthesizer, some channels on the last and the rest on the third.

lylehaze 
Posted on 16-Mar-2016 23:17:11
#10 ]

@Kicko

Yes. all correct.
you'll have to set certain channels to each unit.

Maybe Synth1 gets 1-5, Synth 2 gets 6-10, Synth 3 gets 11-16..

Or you can mix them up, to make sure you get 10 on the best drumkit, etc..

You _could_ have some channels echoed on two synths at once, but you'll have to either have both playing the same program change number, or block it and choose the programs manually.

When these are chained together, there is a slight delay from each to the next. You _could_ get a MIDI THRU box, with one in and three outs.. Same issues with channels, but the delay would be equal.

I don't think three in line is enough to worry about. But you choose for yourself.

Kicko 
Posted on 17-Mar-2016 6:04:51
#11 ]
Elite Member

@lylehaze @all

Thanks for help and advices. Now i have a bigger picture on how things works. Ill see what i do. And also much thanks for the camd for os4 Lyle :)

Forgot to mentation, i managed to connect my ESI Juli@ on the pc, i had an PCI (not express) but was hidden behind the big gfx card. I just moved the gfx card under the soundcard.

Last edited by Kicko on 17-Mar-2016 at 06:09 AM.
Last edited by Kicko on 17-Mar-2016 at 06:08 AM.

Kicko 
Posted on 23-Mar-2016 20:46:05
#12 ]
Elite Member

I had some contact on winuae forum and asked a little bit on midi and stuff.

I got this answer:

I don't know how Amiga MIDI software works but forget about it being physically USB, emulator hides it and makes it look like normal serial port device.

You need software that accepts Amiga serial port like device and unit number. If it accepts serial.device unit 0, replace it with uaenet.device unit

Something that supports multiport serial hardware boards. They work like uaeserial.device, one device with multiple units.

You can read the full story at:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=82029

So at least there's a no go on os4. I tried 2 different 68k camd.library and mmp and could get one device to work but not stable at all and the other crashes under os4. Not strange really as they are made for 68k. The smartest thing to do if i really want to finish the tunes are emulate 68k os3.9 and use one device with serial.device. Then using midi thru and split the 16 channels between the 3 hardware music machines. Just pick the best instruments :)

Then move on to winblows 10 and learn some cool music software.

Thanks for all the help

Last edited by Kicko on 23-Mar-2016 at 08:46 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 24-Mar-2016 0:04:16
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Kicko

Quote:
The smartest thing to do if i really want to finish the tunes are emulate 68k os3.9 and use one device with serial.device.

this is what i am a bit puzzled by, that you insist to run amiga software under os4. hd-rec is a 68k application, made for 3.x range of kickstarts, and so is winuae more or less. os4 emulation is, lets say, experimental. with uae you dont have many genuine amiga restrictions, most notably speed (even if this played any role with midi sequencing), while os4 actually imposes restrictions like the memory limit. lag may be an issue, especially under emulation, but it wont be better with os4 for sure.

so why not start with a plain 3.x and see where it leads. i dont propose aros here, even though this might have a lot simpler to set up, because im not sure hd-rec runs there. perhaps i need to re check..

broadblues 
Posted on 24-Mar-2016 1:25:52
#14 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@wawa

I think the point is that HD-Rec works "better" in termes of available midi devices via CAMD (and multiple sound cards too, but I dionlt think kicko was using that aspect) when running on AmigaOS 4 using real hardware and Kicko was trying to see if it was possible to get access to that functionailty under WinUAE.

It seems that you can't get suficiently low level access to the usb ports for the camd drivers to work, so in that case you may be right that it's better to run under a 68k emulation direct.

klx300r 
Posted on 24-Mar-2016 4:09:58
#15 ]
Elite Member

hey Kicko hope you get things sorted out fast with your real hardware as it pains me to see you go the emulation route brother

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Mar-2016 9:37:17
#16 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

I get the pain too if someone wants to use a hobby platform for professional work

and here I do not mean MP or SMP like most people always talk of but professional software that is not available

Last edited by OlafS25 on 24-Mar-2016 at 09:40 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 24-Mar-2016 13:36:03
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Kicko

Quote:
Hi. As my x1000 is bricked

What?! When this this happen? It's been so long since I looked on here or I've missed a thread. Sorry man.

Hypex 
Posted on 24-Mar-2016 13:40:21
#18 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:
USB is not emulated in WinUAE/OS4-

You mean to say there is all this hoo haw about OS4 classic having a 128MB memory limit and it doesn't even support USB? Not even USB 1.0 works? LOL!

klx300r 
Posted on 24-Mar-2016 16:49:13
#19 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@klx300r

I get the pain too if someone wants to use a hobby platform for professional work

and here I do not mean MP or SMP like most people always talk of but professional software that is not available

hehe I'm sure Kicko is making music for a hobby and nothing against emulation as I use it on my notebook from when I'm away from my Amiga's

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

wawa 
Posted on 24-Mar-2016 16:59:33
#20 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:
It seems that you can't get suficiently low level access to the usb ports for the camd drivers to work, so in that case you may be right that it's better to run under a 68k emulation direct.

for convenience i have meant to recheck hd-rec on aros68k one of these days. might be actually the simplest to set up. unfortunately there is a lot of commits also on 68k front and we are in process of moving to gcc6 with paranoia settings which reveals a number of problems, so that i cannot even boot full through to wanderer with my current compile. ill report back if i find out anything useful in this respect.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle