Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 159 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  3 mins ago
 OlafS25:  7 mins ago
 pixie:  8 mins ago
 Rob:  22 mins ago
 blmara:  48 mins ago
 miggymac:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 59 mins ago
 DWolfman:  4 hrs 8 mins ago
 cncparts:  5 hrs 41 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  6 hrs 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  What is the Status of OCTAMED OS4 and Libre Office?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Rose 
Re: What is the Status of OCTAMED OS4 and Libre Office?
Posted on 13-May-2016 22:32:45
#21 ]
Cult Member

@TrevorDick

Quote:

TrevorDick wrote:
@realize

funny you should ask.

TrevorD

*wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

Because that has worked so well in the past.

Profile     Report this post  
eliyahu 
Posted on 13-May-2016 23:30:03
#22 ]

@Rose

Quote:
*wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

say no more.

-- eliyahu

lylehaze 
Posted on 13-May-2016 23:31:53
#23 ]

Qualification:
I have no idea what the progress/status is, and it has been a LONG time since I could chat with Trevor.. I speak only my own opinion.

Given the history of our platform.. I would put "informing the public" as the Amiga version of the Kobiyashi-Maru. You simply can not win.

Make regular announcements, and you feed the naysayers with stuff to complain about. If any feature changes, or if the delivery date is delayed, and you get hung on a cricifix for your efforts. When you finally do release, it's all "took too long" "Should have been ready before you announced it", "I thought it would be a lot cheaper" and the like.

Or you keep quiet until it is ready.. and everybody wants regular updates, progress reports, proof that it is still progressing. and they are happy to remind you that you owe them these regular updates, or else you are being rude to your adoring public.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

So whichever side of the fence you live on, please try to see a bit of the other side.

"The last 10% takes 90% of the time".. true in principle, often much more extreme in practice.

But When?? Can only be answered accurately AFTER all the bugs have been fixed. and at that point, the answer is pretty close to "now", given our (rather excellent) digital distribution and storefronts.

Any predictions of the future are subject to change based on a bazillion different possibilities.

Now I'm going back to working on the program I was supposed to release three years ago. :( It is coming along nicely, anyway.

[edit] on a completely unrelated topic: I have nothing but love for all of us. This was intended as a memo of peace, not of complaint or accusation. Peace to you, peace to your family, peace to the developers, betas, and especially peace to the faithful Amigans of ALL varieties for keeping the dream alive. And for Tony, I wish a Piece of Pie, any flavour you like.

Last edited by lylehaze on 13-May-2016 at 11:37 PM.

Overflow 
Posted on 14-May-2016 0:12:00
#24 ]

@lylehaze

I defintly understand your reasoning. There is another way to go about it too, the way Apollo-team is doing.
Having a IRC channel where people idle and discusses programs, development or anything really.
The core is constantly in development, with no FPU or MMU. Noone is crying for that reason, and I think the daily exposioure people get from the developers or other amigausers takes the edge of any complaints.

But at the end of the day, each person/company have to find the methodology that works for them.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Overflow on 14-May-2016 at 12:38 AM.

ne_one 
Posted on 14-May-2016 0:24:47
#25 ]
Cult Member

@lylehaze

Quote:
Given the history of our platform.. I would put "informing the public" as the Amiga version of the Kobiyashi-Maru. You simply can not win.

That also becomes a convenient way to avoid culpability.

Third parties like A-EON don't have to account for their vision or milestones but others use it to justify inactivity.

We can all gather around for a group hug and sing Kumbaya but the fact of the matter is, it takes an inordinate amount of time for some things to get done and it's highly unlikely that any effort is being expended in other areas.

If someone asked for an honest assessment of the state of the platform we wouldn't really know what to tell them.

wawa 
Posted on 14-May-2016 7:04:15
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

Quote:
I defintly understand your reasoning. There is another way to go about it too, the way Apollo-team is doing.

glad, you ve gained some insight.

Yasu 
Posted on 14-May-2016 9:02:13
#27 ]

Quote:

This is true, but I think they have themselves to blame too as there was first a lot of crazy cool announcements and hype which pretty much was hot air. After that they decided that being cryptic and quiet with just about everything was the way to go.

We have basically gone from:

-- What's the progress?
-- Two more weeks! It will also make coffee and iron your clothes!

To:

-- What's the progress? ... Hello? ... Hellloooo?
-- Only dead fish go with the flow.
-- That sounds promising! No, wait, I don't get it ...

I don't think the problem is "damn if you do ..." but rather how to regain lost confidence from your consumer base. Remember that the MorphOS Team doesn't get the same harsh treatment even though they are rather quiet about development themselves. This is because they are good at delivering on their promises so people have little reason to distrust them.

I also think the problem is that they have painted themselves into a corner. They can't make a lot of promises or announcements because they don't know when stuff will be finished. Saying very little might be the best approach after all, even though it frustrates the hell out of everyone. If you don't know if it will be finished next week or next month, what can you say without risking to lose face yet again?

My MorphOS Blog

"Free speech includes other peoples right to offend you."

amigang 
Posted on 14-May-2016 9:08:29
#28 ]
Elite Member

I kinda understand the silence as some have pointed out in the Amiga world your damed if u do, damed if you don't.

However I do feel any project should get some type of update after 6 months, just to let the world know there is stuff being worked on and not that the project is dead.

It would be cool if A-eon could just do a big list of things they are working on just to remind the community of all the stuff that's going on, I kinda forget that in 2016 we may see not just one new Amiga, but two, (x5000 & A1222) and even if it's just one line of txt, like, work in progress, would be nice.

But still I think Amiga users are spoilt at the moment with how much stuff goes on in the community, some may say nothing going on, but in my mind, there a lot. Just off the top of my head stuff that's going on...

Two new films ( Amiga years / viva Amiga )
Amiga book (on the edge commodore the Amiga years )
Dozen or more big commercial software/game titles in development for os4 (example of one is Wings remasted game)
Two new Amiga Ppc systems (x5000, A1222)
Amiga cases and retro hardware projects ( a1200 case and armiga as an example )
amiga remade ( new classic Amiga)
Etc, etc.

Existing times ahead.

Last edited by amigang on 14-May-2016 at 09:12 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 14-May-2016 9:24:53
#29 ]
Elite Member

@lylehaze

Porting a big software package like Openoffice is a tremendous task, expecially with very limited manpower and the limitation of the amiga platform. Add to that what happened to the browser port that finally was left more or less useless.

So if obvious it is unsure if and when such a port is completed it would have been better to not say anything or create any hypes because this only leads to what you would call "trolling by naysayers"

OlafS25 
Posted on 14-May-2016 9:32:01
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Yasu

when you have no dates and cannot control when it is finished and are dependent on certain external developers you better say simply nothing until you can show something and really announce availability. At the moment a-eon makes announcements as big news but no prices and dates, then speculations arise, some people hype it and expectations rise, others "troll" how some here call it. Finally when time goes by people who had expectations start to be disappointed. It would be better if they would not make announcements before something really is at least in beta stage. Or Trevor puts really money in it (much more than now) to employ professional developers fulltime that can implement/realize something in a given time frame.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 14-May-2016 at 09:32 AM.

ExiE 
Posted on 14-May-2016 13:13:23
#31 ]

@lylehaze

Quote:

Any Kirk-type cheater around?

wawa 
Posted on 14-May-2016 13:21:43
#32 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

Quote:
Two new films ( Amiga years / viva Amiga )
Amiga book (on the edge commodore the Amiga years )
Dozen or more big commercial software/game titles in development for os4 (example of one is Wings remasted game)
Two new Amiga Ppc systems (x5000, A1222)
Amiga cases and retro hardware projects ( a1200 case and armiga as an example )
amiga remade ( new classic Amiga)
Etc, etc.

thanks for mentioning this. what of the above are yourself most excited about? because me, im simple fond of my amigas, so far, well i think apollo team, they are doing rather a decent job in comparison, but no need to make any fuuzz about it, they simply deliver a real thing.

Hypex 
Posted on 16-May-2016 15:18:19
#33 ]
Elite Member

@ExiE

Captain Kirk cheating on all the women he's dated because he's popular type of cheater?

iggy 
Posted on 16-May-2016 16:18:51
#34 ]

@amigang

Two new AmigaOne systems, not Amiga.

But then, that distinction isn't that important to me (flame on fanatics).

eliyahu 
Posted on 16-May-2016 17:30:31
#35 ]

@iggy

Quote:

if you're correcting someone on it, then apparently it is...

-- eliyahu

ChrisH 
Posted on 17-May-2016 22:29:22
#36 ]
Elite Member

I think a compromise should be possible between "say nothing (& be cursed)" and "give progress updates (& be damned)":

Let us simply know that the project is still being worked on & has not been abandoned... And (if possible) whether other (unnamed) projects have taken on a higher priority (so that we know it may take longer than it might otherwise, and thus should reduce our expectations accordingly).

Like A-Eon, Hyperion also seem to have gone into a "say nothing until it's done" mode. While I've advocated that in the past, I do think being a little less extreme, and giving a tiny amount of info (as above) would be better, at least if it's not been possible to provide any real news in (say) 3-6 months.

Last edited by ChrisH on 17-May-2016 at 10:35 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 17-May-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 17-May-2016 at 10:32 PM.

Overflow 
Posted on 18-May-2016 3:01:01
#37 ]

@ChrisH

On Trevors latest blog entry, he didnt list Libre spesifically, but he did include a image of LibreofficeDev;

http://blog.a-eon.biz/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Libre_Office.jpg

Last edited by Overflow on 18-May-2016 at 03:01 AM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 18-May-2016 7:44:07
#38 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow
Thanks! I missed that, probably because (it felt like) 90% of that blog was irrelevant to OS4 & current events (in reality is was probably just the first half that I found irrelevant, but that was so long that I'd kinda lost patience by then & was speed-reading with abandon).

Also nice to see they're porting LibreOffice, rather than the (now unloved) OpenOffice.

edit: I wish Trevor would make shorter (but more frequent) blogs, rather than his typical War & Peace (sized) offerings.

Last edited by ChrisH on 18-May-2016 at 07:45 AM.

kamelito 
Posted on 18-May-2016 10:45:31
#39 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH

What I wish is a Windows version of PortablE on par with Amiga ones that can output exe to all platforms :)
Kamelito

Nicsoft 
Posted on 18-May-2016 13:16:05
#40 ]

@iggy

Quote:

iggy wrote:
@amigang

If not Amiga systems? Do they require AmigaOneOS 4.1 instead of AmigaOS 4.1...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle