Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 100 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  1 min ago
 agami:  39 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 fordprefect:  3 hrs 2 mins ago
 redfox:  3 hrs 2 mins ago
 Karlos:  4 hrs 39 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 40 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 6 mins ago
 kolla:  5 hrs 11 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  5 hrs 16 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga, MorphOS, AROS Preinstalled themes for HD Monitors to avoid eyestrain
Register To Post

PosterThread
Raffaele 
Amiga, MorphOS, AROS Preinstalled themes for HD Monitors to avoid eyestrain
Posted on 16-May-2016 19:16:38
#1 ]

In these days I am using Windows and Kubuntu on a 26" LCD Monitor 1280*720 placed at 1,50 meters from me, and MacMini MorphOS with 19" Sony CRT 1024*768 laying at 1 meter from me on a computer cart with wheels...

Eyestrain I suffer from Windows and Kubuntu is unbelivable. When redimensioning fonts and icons I got some benefits but redimensioning mangles all GUI proportions and usability of software, and there is no solution at it... These system have no things like Amiga MUI that leave the user full control of interface.

Even using MorphOS at 1 meter is not good as some programs like DirOpus have a fixed buttons size and adjusting fonts is of no use, and little buttons made my eyes suffer very much.

Also surfing the internet is a real problem. Zoom feature present in browsers like Firefox and our OWB sure helps, but it is solution not really 100% practical, as too much often moves positions of all button links.

MUI based programs can be adjusted as I wish but legacy Amiga software usually are a pain too...

Why this thread???

I want only to make an advice to all AmigaOS-like developers despite of what OS camp they belong to:

Why not introducing a family of preinstalled HD themes to choose from, ready for viewing desktops on HD TV Sets and Monitors at a long distance?

As of today many monitors are 1920*1080 HD and this make icons and documents difficult to read.

Ours will be the first Operating Systems to support natively this feature!

Profile     Report this post  
fishy_fis 
Re: Amiga, MorphOS, AROS Preinstalled themes for HD Monitors to avoid eyestrain
Posted on 17-May-2016 3:52:21
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

No offense guy, but it seems you need to learn to use your machines properly :P

I only have 24 inch 1920x1200 monitors, and everything is fine by simply chosing large icons and fonts. No tricks needed. Also, pretty much every system out there is at least as flexible as amiga guis, usually moreso.
These systems are designed for todays computers. 1920x1080 (full hd) isnt even high res these days, its medium resolution at best.

Perhaps you're experiencing problems because you're running a very low resolution, and then resizing?

About the only thing that rings true to me from what you've said is that we need larger icons/themes/etc for amiga-noid systems, 'cos we're still stuck 10 to 20 years in the past there.

Raffaele 
Posted on 17-May-2016 6:20:06
#3 ]

@fishy_fis

I think you never experienced manage doing real resizing fonts of icon names and windows titles and menus in WindowsOS. Too much often causes problems that pop ups randomly and mangled any alignment.

In Linux there are less problems but still present... for example Console of KDE has a feature to resize fonts that is really helpful, and does not afflict the way lines scroll on the wide side /vertical scroll is not afflicted).

I dunno what you intend today 1920x1080 is medium resolution... Yes, it exists 4K too but vaste majority of monitors and TV sets support this resolution only.
4K are still very rare even if their price is affordable now.

Many friends of mine have 1920x1080 desktops and use tiiiiiny icons and fonts, and i dunno how hey manage to use it everyday without suffering eyestrain and ruining their eyes. Sooner or later they will need view glasses.

(I must mention that they uses monitors at only 30 centimeters of distace. My 26"LCD TV set is placed at 1,5 meters from me. it is easy spot tiny fonts at close distance but it is a pain for eyes keep monitors too much close. I just wear glasses since I was 3 years old due to stay too much close to CRT TV's in '70s, and i don't want to ruin more my eyes due to desktops screens that are unfriendly for the user.

The best user experience and the safer one is keeping monitors a least at 1 meter of distance. Safety first you know.

For example My Sony CRT 19" supports stable 1800x1200 but I set it to 1024x768 else fonts of MorphOS are unreadable, and is too much hard work make readable legacy software for this resolution. Native MUI progs are much better to manage.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 17-May-2016 13:09:11
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Problem is that HD image don't say anything about size of monitor your using, you might be using tiny 14" or 22" monitor fall I know.

Websites are struggling with same thing, however it's possible to make web pages adapts depending on width of window, and thing like that so will fit on mobile telephones as well pads and computers, but there are many bad web designers out there.

As for themes and so, well developers write code, we don't spend time on graphics that’s what artists are for.
"not good as some programs like DirOpus have a fixed buttons size and adjusting fonts is of no use"

Well you can change a lot of things there too.

Press "C" button down in the right corner, select screen and then font, this change the font size, press "save" or "use".

Sure, some things looks old, and that’s because it’s an old program, it's gadtools based, not MUI/Reaction based.

Opus5 you change the images on the buttons and so, you don't need to use standard tiny icons, if I remember correct they are anim iff files, or anim brushes or something like that, you make this buttons in PPaint.

Severin 
Posted on 17-May-2016 13:51:38
#5 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@Raffaele

Opus5 you change the images on the buttons and so, you don't need to use standard tiny icons, if I remember correct they are anim iff files, or anim brushes or something like that, you make this buttons in PPaint.

Mostly they are plain icons if you want a selectewd image or an IFF brush if you don't.

@Raffaele

The problem with DOpus4 is finding the right font. The first thing to do is turn off the drive bar on the left to give more button space. I then used the top two rows of a bank as drive buttons. It took me 2 minutes to modify the fonts to get Dopus4 looking like this:

Unfortunatly general font is hard coded to size 8, maybe you should send in an enhancement request to get that fixed.

As for Dopus5, look on masons site, he did a set of big toolbar icons for it around 20 years ago.

Last edited by Severin on 17-May-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 18-May-2016 4:41:32
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

I know what you mean by misalighment, Ive also seen it.
It only happens when youre runninga very low resolution. I too had to resize fonts and icons, because default options are too small. Using the OSes inbuilt options for resizing though at a medium (1080p) or higher resolution and things are fine.

DO they even make monitors/screens with low resolutions anymore? Ive not seen anything less than 1080p screen (apart from NOS) for a long time. Even my 10 year old 22 inch crt runs 2048x1536@85.
The 2 lcd screens I have are 3 and 5 years old respectively and are 1920x1200. Definately not new or anything special.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 18-May-2016 at 04:44 AM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 18-May-2016 10:58:40
# ]

@Raffaele

Quote:
Eyestrain I suffer from Windows and Kubuntu is unbelivable.

If eyestrain becomes a real problem for you, consider getting a Mac with a 'Retina' display. One thing they do brilliantly is scaling the whole screen and keeping everything in proportion. I know that seems a bit fanboy-ish - I only mention it because looking after your eyesight is so important. Here's a bit of info, admittedly from Apple themselves:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202471

Cheers,
Chris

Report this post  

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle