Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 79 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RobertB:  17 mins ago
 agami:  43 mins ago
 A1200:  43 mins ago
 Kremlar:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 56 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Old Amiga Video should they be copyrighted?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Poll : Old Amiga Video should they be copyrighted?
Yes
No
Fair Use should apply
Maybe On some
Pancakes!

PosterThread
amigang 
Old Amiga Video should they be copyrighted?
Posted on 26-May-2016 12:22:05
#1 ]
Elite Member

So I recently had a copyright claim on my AmigaNG Youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTKLU6vRj_E

This was a very short little weird and fun vid of songfiy the launch of the Amiga, a bit of daft video and not too fussed if it gone.

However I would be upset if the Only Amiga Song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yckH20ngY4Y) or Making of Amiga Boing Ball (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJcO628yCcU) videos would be claimed.

I feel this might be more likely to happen now that Amiga films have had a commercial success and value. Its ironic as I helped back both Amiga Years and Viva Amiga films.

I feel all the video do being out on the web is help promote and better inform people about how great the Amiga was back in its time, lets face it most people out in the real world have only a passing interest in Amiga or some fond memories and are unlikely to pay to watch an Amiga film, they might just watch it if it pops up for free or possible part of a subscription services but most are unlikely to watch it unless there a fan.

Keeping them copyrighted, locked up will mean only true Amiga fans who watch the above films or buy Amiga forever dvd edition will ever see them which I feel is a shame, what happened to "So the world may know!" theme of Amiga world. its hard enough in this day in age to tell people and get the word out that Amiga is still around and that you can get an amiga experience for your PC, Mac and even phone if you wish.

Case in point is that particular video taken down, was called Songfiy the launch of Amiga, Songfiy is a popular Youtube channel that takes normal talking moments and then makes a song out of them with heavy use of auto tune. People who may have no interest in Amiga what so ever will be searching for daft videos like this (I dont know why, but thats how the internet seem to roll nowadays) they may of come across my video and thought what the hell is this? what the hell is an Amiga? What is going on? what a lame video etc etc, but just one person might of gone, oh whats an Amiga? oh its a old 80s computer I never heard of, oh I might have to check that out and find out more about that! oh cool there an emulator / film / whole community behind it, I might join them.

this cant happen if you just start locking things away that no one can see them, I admit it, its unlikly that the above happened, but you never know. I just feel its a real shame that some classic and real cool Amiga videos are starting to be locked away and I feel it should all fair use now.

Anyway like to know what the community thinks.
Thanks.

Last edited by amigang on 26-May-2016 at 01:53 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
TheAMIgaOne 
Re: Old Amiga Video should they be copyrighted?
Posted on 26-May-2016 12:47:20
#2 ]
Cult Member

@amigang

Did it contain videos that were part of AmigaForever package? like death bed vigil

AmigaOneXE OS4.1.6

TaoSoftwareBlog Youtube

TheAMIgaOne 
Posted on 26-May-2016 12:49:25
#3 ]
Cult Member

@amigang

Alternatively just ask Cloanto for permission, at least they will reply compared to AmigaInc

AmigaOneXE OS4.1.6

TaoSoftwareBlog Youtube

amigang 
Posted on 26-May-2016 13:15:26
#4 ]
Elite Member

@TheAMIgaOne

it was a 1min clip re-edit from the launch of amiga video, plus it was "Manually detected" which meant they personally deemed it to be copyrighted and given me a nice strike on my account, which means my account is now in bad standing and has disable a few features (like live streaming) etc, would be nice if they had just contacted me first and said would you mind removing that video or just claimed it on fair use, which means they would get all money from that video. But copyright strike I feel is a bit harsh.

Last edited by amigang on 26-May-2016 at 01:19 PM.

Rose 
Posted on 26-May-2016 14:47:56
#5 ]
Cult Member

@amigang

Fair use pretty much flies out of the window since you get ad revenue from showing videos which you don't own.

amigang 
Posted on 26-May-2016 15:13:05
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

Knew some one would bring this up, I have made $0 from that youtube channel, I did active monetisation, only more to see how much a I would get, call it research, I'm so far down to make $20 over 9 years of being on Youtube, Google dont even pay out until you reach $60. I open admit I properly shouldn't of monetised my, channel, I have since today disabled it on most videos, I never did for the money anyway, I run this channel to only promote the Amiga.

Last edited by amigang on 26-May-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Rose 
Posted on 26-May-2016 15:15:36
#7 ]
Cult Member

@amigang

Doesn't matter how much you have made. In legal sense you are trying to sell something that doesn't belong to you.

broadblues 
Posted on 26-May-2016 16:35:51
#8 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@amigang

There is no question of whether they should be copyright, they simply are copyright.

If you want to use other peoples creative IP you need to get permission, often they will give it, if it's to beused in creative way, but that's their decision, not your or the "communiy's".

Not sure why a single copyright strike would put you in bad stead, I've had a couple of claims against songs included in videos (but performed by myself or bands I'm in) and they usually just claim the advertising royalties, some even share them to encourage people to record their songs legitimatly.

Fair use only covers small clips usually for non profit, educational, or similar purposes, not for derived work.

amigang 
Posted on 26-May-2016 18:14:13
#9 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

I would agree, but most of the videos are copyrighted to commodore / amiga i dont know if ownership of such video would still be under Amiga Inc. How did cloanto get ownership? I think the deathbed rirtal they got rights to. But not sure how they got the rest.

Cloanto have put a strike to my channel. Which puts its in bad stead. I agree if i copy and uploaded the whole video that i'm at fault. But for a 1min re-edited bit of fun video from a 20min video i would feel full into fair use. I have emailed, maybe they will remove the strike.

I think its no surprise that now there amiga films using this amiga video content companies are trying to claim copyright to what really should full out of copyright.

amigang 
Posted on 26-May-2016 22:21:08
#10 ]
Elite Member

Last edited by amigang on 27-May-2016 at 04:07 PM.

amigang 
Posted on 26-May-2016 22:57:19
#11 ]
Elite Member

(for context I had just got strike no.2 when posting this and thought I would lose the channel)

I was quite proud of my little channel, hitting a million views, nearing 600 subs, doing what I can to promote the Amiga, but somehow cloanto has suddenly got rights to Amiga video, I'm not sure how, but rather than ask if I could remove them, there being pricks and giving my channel strikes and YouTube always gives the power to the copyright holder. Three strikes and I loose the channel. Very sad day for me.

I have made every video that I think they could claim private.

Very sad that a company like clonato has acted this way.

Last edited by amigang on 30-May-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Last edited by amigang on 30-May-2016 at 06:34 PM.

Panthro 
Posted on 27-May-2016 1:37:35
#12 ]

@amigang

I feel your pain.

I am not commenting on legalities here for all those of that persuasion or mind set or in business.

But I feel like the Amiga doesn't have a community that can afford to support draconian responses
to trivial stuff. I understand if clonto wants to play like the big boys, but give your fans/users a break and communicate first.

Last edited by Panthro on 27-May-2016 at 01:38 AM.

Seiya 
Posted on 27-May-2016 2:00:46
#13 ]

i think that if i have purchased a game or game collection and i want share video from that game i'm free to make it.

@panthro
i think it is a problem of youtube that closed that video, not a real interest by cloanto.

here there so many video about Cloanto Amiga Forever...
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cloanto+amiga+forever+2014

Last edited by Seiya on 27-May-2016 at 02:03 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 27-May-2016 2:30:56
#14 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

So what I wonder is how Cloanto got hold of the copyright. Commodore Amiga as an entity doesn't exist any more nor the Commodore from that time. So if the videos are originally copyright by Commodore, for example, how was that copyright transferred to Cloanto? Suppose I should look up copyright law. After the acquisition by Gateway and then to Amino and Bill somehow those copyrights were transferred.

But I guess you could do what everyone else does. Torrent it!

I see similar things elsewhere such as SoundCloud will raise a red flag if people upload a remix of a song. Similar thing.

Last edited by Hypex on 27-May-2016 at 04:16 PM.

amigang 
Posted on 27-May-2016 8:46:16
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

I would like to know that, how did a license agreement to use Amiga roms and workbench for there emulator allow them to gets rights to stuff like this, if any has right to claim I thought it would be Amiga Inc.

But anyway I find it not that surprising as like I said before now that there is commercial valve on old Amiga stuff like this for the films being made like viva Amiga and Amiga years people will be quick to claim ownership and get money out of it, shame as both projects have been community funded and I find it ironic that I will be in the credits of both.

Hopefully some kind of agreement can be made and Amiga users like me who only want to promote the Amiga brand don't get forced out of the community.

pavlor 
Posted on 27-May-2016 9:21:57
#16 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

Even with all rights, Cloanto should use more subtle approach than that. After all, you are an Amiga fan, not money hungry vulture.

Did you try contact them?

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-May-2016 9:40:15
#17 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

we had similar events regarding hobby graphic card projects and P96...

the more money can be earned the worse it will become

only chance would have been to have a open and free platform but there is no real interest by most users so welcome to the future of amiga

pavlor 
Posted on 27-May-2016 9:48:50
#18 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
we had similar events regarding hobby graphic card projects and P96...

I know, surprisingly enough, AmigaWorld.net is only major Amiga forum without topic about this...

Quote:
only chance would have been to have a open and free platform but there is no real interest by most users so welcome to the future of amiga

I did read you bitter comments on EAB. However, I still think AROS68k cause is not lost. Sure, there is much to be done, but progress is good and parent companies do everything (im)possible to destroy commercial viability of OS3 (starting with legal mess ). So be patient, your day will come!

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-May-2016 9:50:38
#19 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

I will sit back and watch...

if the vampire guys again ask me it will be not that cheap und without obligations

Last edited by OlafS25 on 27-May-2016 at 09:55 AM.

TheAMIgaOne 
Posted on 27-May-2016 10:31:53
#20 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Ohhh never realised your Olaf of Picasso96.

So exactly, if someone shared the native driver kit of P96 without a licence i'm sure you would have heads on a stake :)

@amigang
Bottom line, you did wrong not Cloanto, man up and take it on the chin and work with them.

AmigaOneXE OS4.1.6

TaoSoftwareBlog Youtube

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle