Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 92 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  37 mins ago
 outlawal2:  46 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 Luc:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 21 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 33 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  OpenGL ES 2 development continues (was: stopped)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: OpenGL ES 2 development stopped
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 9:27:25
#21 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Quote:
How sad

Sorry this didn´t happen as you wished.

Profile     Report this post  
Birbo 
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 9:35:39
#22 ]
Cult Member

@all

WTF?

amigakit 
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 9:48:09
#23 ]
Amiga Kit

Warp3D Nova is now a years worth of hard work and represents a huge leap forward in 3D graphics, bringing Shaders to AmigaOS for the first time.

The development has been done in a staged approach to build a system up that can be used by developers and expanded incremently. Since the Enhancer Software v1.0 was released, there has been 8 internal releases which we have made also available to a group of prominent Amiga 3D developers. I won't steal their thunder and pre-announce what they have been creating with Warp3D Nova.

All this development represents a tangible financial investment which is partially funded by the revenue from the sales of the Enhancer Software but not wholly as the costs are significant.

tlosm 
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 9:58:06
#24 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

I belive in your support and belive in Trevor,
im sure we will have a Nova working right and full on OS4.
Come on guys .... in past some one was say the warp3d was not possibile on radeonhd and Hans make the miracle thanks to Aeon support...
You will see Nova will be a reality in future, just wait "couple of weeks moore"

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Hans 
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 10:11:37
#25 ]
Elite Member

I guess it's time for me to make a few comments.

Yes, Warp3D Nova is currently an early prerelease, although I disagree with Daytona's assessment. I'm sorry that it wasn't made clear to him what the state was when he started working on the GL ES wrapper. That would definitely have made life easier for everyone.

About the simple "Hello World" shader that was causing a freeze. By the time that I found out about this I'd already tested over 30 different shaders of varying complexity. The compiler was also designed to be somewhat ruthless with rejecting things it couldn't handle yet. So, how did I miss that one? Why didn't any tester notice? Well, it turns out that all of the vertex shaders tested so far had at least one output parameter (a.k.a, varying variable). Even Warp3D Nova "Hello Triangle" vertex shader has a colour output. Southern Islands GPUs can't handle having no vertex shader outputs, and that's exactly what the GLES2 "Hello World" example did. Having zero output parameters is rather unusual, so that could have remained undiscovered for a long time. It's so easy to miss one corner case when you're working on something this big, and I'm glad that it's been caught.

I hope that more developers will have a go at using Warp3D Nova either directly, or via the GL ES wrapper (when it's released). If something doesn't work correctly or there's something you need that isn't implemented yet, then let me know. Your feedback will help me to improve it and to prioritise tasks. 3D graphics APIs are complex, so it'll mature because people are using it and not the other way around.

Hans

kamelito 
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 10:52:24
#26 ]
Cult Member

"I hope that more developers will have a go at using Warp3D Nova either directly, or via the GL ES wrapper (when it's released). If something doesn't work correctly or there's something you need that isn't implemented yet, then let me know. Your feedback will help me to improve it and to prioritise tasks. 3D graphics APIs are complex, so it'll mature because people are using it and not the other way around."

If the price of the Tabor allow it for me, I'd love to give it a go at least doing 2D stuff using Nova.
Kamelito

Yasu 
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 12:31:30
#27 ]

All boring internet drama set aside, what is the next step for this project?

My MorphOS Blog

"Free speech includes other peoples right to offend you."

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 12:47:51
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Yasu

Sounds to me like Warp Nova needs a bug fixed before OpenGL-ES2 will perform adequately.

eder 
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 12:52:58
#29 ]

@TRIPOS

Is you the

Tomppeli 
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 13:44:06
#30 ]

@eder

He's just a blind MorphOS name follower.

@amigakit, @Daytona675x, @Hans, @TrevorDick

Thanks !

cgutjahr 
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 13:50:31
#31 ]
Cult Member

Guys, I understand it's a lot easier to just shout at me for being evil rather than use your brains. But my news item is nothing but a summary of statements which Daytona made in an interview with a completely unrelated podcast. I even left out some of the more flammable stuff - like Daytona claiming A-EON lied to his face, or the part where he's mocking A-EON by imitating a (very) whiny little girl when quoting a reply he got from them.

Don't shoot the messenger and all that.

Btw., where's sundown - didn't he get the memo?

Daytona675x 
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 14:36:37
#32 ]

@all
English clarification
Deutsche Richtigstellung

eliyahu 
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 14:52:14
#33 ]

@cgutjahr

with respect daniel's clarification is a damning indictment on your journalistic ethics. we're not 'blaming the messenger,' we're pointing out constant bias on your part. you have been an integral part of this community, and worthy of respect -- but your apparent desire to find and publicize fault without the full context is second only to TMHG at this point. that is what i object to; and that is what disappoints me.

-- eliyahu

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 15:07:18
#34 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

others listened to it too and thought similar about the statements like Gutjahr

obviously the "negative comments" were more than minor there and the positive statements not so many

Daniel has clarified his view so we should let it by it

BTW... you amiga guys must have troubles... if that is all you are lucky

Georg 
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 15:12:48
#35 ]

I listened to that podcast interview and cgutjahr summary about it is much closer to what I remember about it than what is said in clarification. > 95 % in the interview is about negative things. If someone made a (translated) transcript, I doubt anyone would see it the other way round (more positive than negative things).

Daytona675x 
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 15:24:02
#36 ]

@Georg
Of course huge parts of the interview are about negative things. After all it's mostly about the trouble I had developing OGLES2. So I spent lots of minutes explaining various issues.
But the point is that only some at best netto 5 minutes of the interview are actual hard criticism. But those are exactlly the catch-phrases he selected while missing out everything else.
The totally misleading headlines and end-paragraphs which indicate(d) a project failure are the final touch of this biased distortion.

Last edited by Daytona675x on 05-Jul-2016 at 03:24 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 15:41:47
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Daytona675x

different people are listening to it and understand it like Gutjahr

perhaps it was not your intention to make this impression, perhaps Gutjahr (and many others) did not fully understand it like you wanted but then you must be more careful when doing statements like this. Bashing Gutjahr as troll and claiming he deliberately made a negative news item from a positive interview seems not to be true either. I think (if I am in mood to do that) I will listen to it too and excerpt 1:1 statements from it. Propably you will then claim "out of context".

If you want to make a positive interview then do it positive
If you want to make a positive interview with a little critics then do it that way
If you make a interview with vast parts of harsh critics then you cannot be surprised that it is seen that way

Wasn´t it you who reviewed code some time ago with harsh crisizm on the developer who at the end retreated and gave up obviously. This developer was rightfully critisized for not being able to accept (in this case) harsh critics and only defended himself. You are doing the same now in my view. You made a misleading interview and now bash on the messenger.

Learn from it, let it by it now, do it different next time

Last edited by OlafS25 on 05-Jul-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 05-Jul-2016 at 03:42 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 15:44:16
#38 ]
Elite Member

i must admit, after the whole drama i listened to the podcast myself. and the complete part what concerns warp3d nova sounds almost exactly as described in the aw.net article. its practically all complaints. even the interviewers sum it up like that in the summary. maybe the title of aw.net news item wasnt chosen luckily, or maybe it wasnt a right choice to make it a news item in first place, but it can hardly be classify it as "hoax". even if the context of christops criticism might suggest it is biased.

actually the only thing i understand being upset about is the distinction between having given up on an unfinished project, or actually having finished your task which hasnt brought satisfactory results due to third party shortcomings. i dont think, as w3d nova had been released it was pretty clear to almost everybody that it was rushed, because of the lack of news. in this respect i think its understandable that work on warp3d nova is what now needs to be done, and the programmer of the wrapper is well in a position to make his potential further commitments dependent on extra agreements.

Last edited by wawa on 05-Jul-2016 at 04:13 PM.

Georg 
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 15:46:19
#39 ]

@Daytona675x

Not just what you said but the way you said it in the interview gave also me the impression that the project was stopped/on hold and only maybe it will be continued/restarted if things change and this will likely need re-negoations and it's not sure at all that this will happen. And it's unsure that you even want to restart/continue/finish at some later time, because of the previous frustrations about the situation.

Also in the clarification you say "failed to hear that I also say that Nova is a good thing, a huge step into the right direction, something with lots of potential. And that I believe that many issues will be resolved pretty soon." but in the interview I remember this sounded much less positive as such text alone suggests, because of the way you said it and the way you phrased it in German.

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Jul-2016 15:47:22
#40 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

1..2...3... test

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle