Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 126 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

DWolfman

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DWolfman:  1 min ago
 cncparts:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 Beajar:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 45 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 45 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 5 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs 55 mins ago
 Bruce72:  4 hrs 56 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga site reports Hyperion in bankrupt and A-Eon acquired AmigaOS (Fake?)
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
PosterThread
Raffaele 
Amiga site reports Hyperion in bankrupt and A-Eon acquired AmigaOS (Fake?)
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 0:14:00
#1 ]

News came from site GenerationAmigaPro...

https://generationamigapro.wordpress.com/2016/08/03/hyperion-entertainment-belgium-bankrupt-a-eon-acquires-amigaos/

If you surf that link it states "Page Not Found"...

But copy of page still exists on Google Cache...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://generationamigapro.wordpress.com/2016/08/03/hyperion-entertainment-belgium-bankrupt-a-eon-acquires-amigaos/

Is that false/fake/trolling news? An error of maintainer who confused acquisition of Warp-Up Nova with AmigaOS? Unconfirmed gossip? Spreading FUD? Or WTF is these news?

Profile     Report this post  
tonyw 
Re: Amiga site reports Hyperion in bankrupt and A-Eon acquired AmigaOS (Fake?)
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 0:27:33
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

If it were true, I think we developers and beta-testers would have heard of it.

It is significant that the page has been taken down.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

eliyahu 
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 0:31:25
#3 ]

@Raffaele

it was a 'reprint' of an uninformed, inaccurate, and generally pointless blog post from helge kvalheim. considering the guy has been banned from every major amiga forum -- and even the hyperion support forum -- i don't think it's necessary to remind folks to always consider the source when reading stuff like this.

-- eliyahu

Hypex 
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 3:02:52
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

You can still find the article on Distrita:
http://distrita.com/helgiscorner-death-hyperion-entertainment/

I don't know what happened to Helgis nor why he is banned across the board but he came across as a real positive Amiga supporter to me. That said, I'm not always positive and am openly critical at times, but I found this article to be offensive and unnecessarily so. And also unwise to publish such a defaming article about a lawyer.

I also think Distrita should check what they publish as the article is badly written, makes assumptions and starts talking about subjects without first explaining what that subject is.

A few points. Nova? No, no mention of it. It makes reference to the obsolete bankruptcy and then claims among other things that concentrating on PowerPC brought it about. Well, kernel aside, what OS4 would lack is software in certain departments, which could still happen regardless of CPU, so no.

It also claims MorphOS is going x86 but to my knowledge this is unconfirmed and still pending.

It then claims FE Final Update was the last work before the bankruptcy. Unless there has been a new bankruptcy this contradicts itself.

Next it claims AEON will buy Hyperion up and after investing money in PowerPC machines will then abandon it and stop producing hardware. And to then contact Microsoft and common CPU manufacturers with a view to bring the old Amiga Inc. OS5 idea to common x86 PC hardware. Yeah right. I don't think so!

Rob 
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 4:01:12
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

http://hkvalhea1-500.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/an-uncertain-future.html

Birbo 
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 4:27:56
#6 ]
Cult Member

@Helgis

I really liked to read the blog.

I have more or less the same opinion about Hyperion Entertainment.

I'm also pretty sure AmigaOS will be owned by A-EON one day.

zzd10h 
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 6:13:30
#7 ]
Amiga Developer Team

"Hyperion in bankrupt"

It should be true otherwise how do you explain that no FE update is published since around 2 years ?
No others explanations are possible

"I'm also pretty sure AmigaOS will be owned by A-EON one day. "
Hoping too...

K-L 
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 6:41:20
#8 ]

@Thread

I pretty doubt that PowerPC support would cause the dead of Hyperion.

These articles are just a way to incite Hyperion to go to x86.

What causes all this fuss is not the PowerPC support, it's only the loud silence coming from Hyperion about AmigaOS development, that's all.

Hammer 
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 6:45:16
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@Raffaele

You can still find the article on Distrita:
http://distrita.com/helgiscorner-death-hyperion-entertainment/

I don't know what happened to Helgis nor why he is banned across the board but he came across as a real positive Amiga supporter to me.
(SNIP)

Helgis has supplied zero evidence that Hyperion Entertainment CVBA is dead.

cha05e90 
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 7:37:32
#10 ]

@Raffaele

It's more or less a re-post of a *private* persons blog. I wouldn't call that "news". It may be an "opinion". But nowadays "facts" and "opinions" seem to be a synonym...

Hypex 
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 8:06:20
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Thanks for that. I didn't know he had a blog. Or I never recall one. By the looks of it, it may have been posted, but was leeched before he pulled it himself.

I also have to ask, is the Dead story the work of Helgis? Or is it an attempt to defame him in some sort of Helgis hacking attempt Subterfuge I tell you.

HKvalhe. What is the HKvalue? Has he gone up?

Last edited by Hypex on 04-Aug-2016 at 08:07 AM.

TheAMIgaOne 
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 9:19:07
#12 ]
Cult Member

@Raffaele

I dont give GenerationAmigaPro any value to their news articles.

They also keep getting banned from Facebook groups for spamming.

AmigaOneXE OS4.1.6

TaoSoftwareBlog Youtube

OlafS25 
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 9:46:16
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Helgis was/is a weird person like many others in our community. We have a phrase here "to be crazy is not a requirement but very helpful"

Finally it is a hobby and all left are hobby OSs done by people mainly for fun in spare time (with few exceptions mostly paid by a-eon). From a user point of view currently there is no big difference between Hyperion officially bankrupt or not because of no activity. I personal do not believe they are "completely dead", I more assume it is a "living zombie"

Finally who cares...

Even the FPGA based development will not change history in my view despite being interesting of course... but even in best case pure hobby. But for some in the community amiga (or AmigaOS, PPC or whatever) is a replacement for religion. I think Helgis belonged to that group. And when his too high expectations were disappointed he changed to a fanatic hater.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 04-Aug-2016 at 09:49 AM.

Overflow 
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 9:47:59
#14 ]

@eliyahu

Helge might have been overly active, but then again all HEALTHY communities should be able to entertain all types of people. As long as their overarching perspective is positive to the goal of that community. And I feel confident that Helge has been extremely positive towards AOS 4.x.
He might be in disagreement how Hyperion is operating, but thats different than the overarching goal
of the community.

Ive been in the Vampire community for over a year now (I think, times flies and all that) (IRC channel), and it really got the COMMUNITY part 100% right.
The developers communicate when they have time or feel so inclined, and luckily they do quite a bit, to the point we have learned some of their personal quirks.
If Kippa aint replying, hes probarly soldering OR kicked back watching a fotball match with a beer on his belly. The latter most likely.

Then you got Majsta; hes probarly hanging out the window yelling at people fixing/revving their carengines just outside his apartment (house?).

Its gotten to the point where people consider the IRC regulars as their extended family, and communication of delays or progress is done with no effort, because we understand development process is a challenge, espesially with limited manpower.
99% of the community understands, and the remaining 1%, oh well, cant make EVERYBODY happy.

This is where Hyperion has gone wrong, in MY opinion, complete lack of communication. Dont get me wrong; I enjoy watching ssolies speeches at AmiWest, and I really mean that. He comes off as a good guy and all that. But compared to Apollo-team; there is no contest.

On day ONE of joining Apollo-Team IRC, I had questions about how to get my A1200 online: Mechy (the powersupply producer) convoed me, and took many hours out of that evening talking me thru setting the amiga up (all the things I had forgotten or never knew).
Such friendly enviroment ensures that newcomers turns into stayers and regulars.

I had the same yesterday. A random dude showed up with questions, and I ended up in a conversation with him. Turns out he was a oldtime coder just returning to Amiga, and now he seems to be hooked and eager to code again/be creative.

A friendly and responsive community goes a LONG way to offset the relative slow development process if you compare it to mainstream pace.

Lack of information makes people frustrated and ensures people make their own conclusions.

Hyperion making 1 or 2 posts a year doesnt cut it, and in that I agree with Helge 100%.

Last edited by Overflow on 04-Aug-2016 at 10:14 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 10:00:42
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

from a user point of view without any communication or updates Hyperion and AmigaOS is dead, whatever might be true from a legal point of view. And it is not a good idea to not communicate with your customers as it is not a good idea not to support important parts of your community who bought "Classic" to use it on UAE. It is a strange company, operating different to say it politely. And yes the way apollo/vampire team communicates is much better.

But finally it is not important what they do except for Trevor D. who has lots of hardware that might become more or less worthless without AmigaOS. I do not believe that with current strategy they will ever win new users outside and to change direction it is too late already. Also I read that there exist long-term contracts between a-eon and Hyperion regarding PPC so finally both depend on each other. Outside that who cares...

Birbo 
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 10:01:18
#16 ]
Cult Member

@Overflow

+1

tangoone 
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 10:07:04
#17 ]

Maybe the this blog talks alot of bull but there is some good points also.

Like how could a company like hyperion gets their hands on the AmigaOS dev... anyway. I have not heard about them before.

and making a amiga based on a cpu that is not made any more.

Well this is what the legacy after commodore/escom/cow pc company/ :)

It makes me just very sad when I see the state of the worlds greatest computer thank god we have a group who brings amiga forward apollo-team (vampire).

end

OlafS25 
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 10:15:00
#18 ]
Elite Member

@tangoone

I can remember someone from Hyperion mentioning in a article that they spent 2 Mio. Dollar (or 2.5 Mio cannot remember) in AmigaOS, also we do not know how the financial and legal situation is around AmigaOS. Additionally further OS development is expensive, Trevor D. would need to invest lots of money for a long time. It is his hobby and the AmigaOS fans can be happy to have someone who has money and is willing to risk it for such a unprofitable adventure but I assume he is not willing to spend that much money on it.

tomazkid 
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 10:33:46
#19 ]
Team Member

@thread

Please refrain from discussing Helge Kvalheim (Helgis) as a person, since he can not defend himself on this forum.

The reasons he is banned on Amigaworld are very valid, and won't be changed.

kamelito 
Posted on 4-Aug-2016 11:00:19
#20 ]
Cult Member

http://hkvalhea1-500.blogspot.fr/2016/07/an-uncertain-future.html
Kamelito

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle