Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 132 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  6 mins ago
 gryfon:  13 mins ago
 pavlor:  33 mins ago
 Rob:  51 mins ago
 kolla:  59 mins ago
 Birbo:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 A1200:  3 hrs 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Deadwood, Fab, Tobias: OWB Javascript PPC Patch and a pending bounty
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: Deadwood, Fab, Tobias: OWB Javascript PPC Patch and a pending bounty
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 13:32:27
#41 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

but if I look at the page I still do not see where the exact bounty text is... Power2People would have never accepted this as bounty

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 13:35:24
#42 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

people here say "integrating it" is a lot of work. I would be interested to hear of kas1e and what he thinks about it. Deadwood and Fab will not do that I could bet.

kas1e 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 13:58:27
#43 ]
Elite Member

@wawa
Quote:

and kas1e involved raffaele who put up the bounty.

Hold on, i didn't involve anyone to anywhere :) I even say that this bounty is crap, and collecting money for such bounty is bad idea, as none developers found for it at all. I also told to Rafaelle on his github issue (which link you provide before), that everything was done in wrong way and will not give any positive result. Like you do not know how i do things in past, and think i need to find anyone for "making bountis?:)

I honestly do not undestand what everyone discuss here. Someone (Rafaelle), making bounty on his own, without discussing it with anoyne (only with deadwood?), and even after that, do description in wrong way. And someone even throw money in. I even says in that topics before when Rafaelle make a bounty, that it all wrong, and no developers take it, and no need to send money again for collecting dust.

But yeah, i know that Rafaelle want somehow help. But sadly, creating of bounties and asking for money is not problem. It is not help. Any of us can do so. Problem is to find skilled programmer and make a deal with him to make a work. And only after that making a bounty. Or , to be itself such a skilled coder. Then it can be helpfull. But not making topics, bountys and all that easy crap which can anyone do, once time will come and if need it.

Only amiga! :))

Last edited by kas1e on 13-Aug-2016 at 02:01 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 14:35:03
#44 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Quote:
Hold on, i didn't involve anyone to anywhere

i didnt meant, you have invited him, and remember your objections. from the discussion i have linked in although, it looks like you have at least proposed to assign him to the repository or something like that. but whatever.

talking of what can be done here, whats your opinion about this patch. i dont know what revision of webkit core aros, morphos or os4 port is currently based upon, but wouldnt it be worth to try and merge that diff as far as even possible? i know it is potentially a huge task, but i doubt anyone else has a proper build environment set up..

Raffaele 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 15:02:03
#45 ]

@ChrisH

For example I know that Jaokim, who is developing Jamiga2 is a slow programmer, and his task is porting a complete alien software to our platform, so I am very glad from time to time he releases blogs where he states how is ongoing.

And it is sufficient to me... So what's the problem people are accusing me?

@Thread

When Tobias announced he had a patch, Fab popped out of nowhere saying he had had picked Tobias Patch and started working on new release as asoon as possible.

Deadwood made no comments if I remember well.

But with my last comments I prayed both to let ke know if patch of Tobias was valid... But nor Deadwood, neither Fab ever answered to those my latest comments.

At this date I must believe they abandoned the bounty discussion without reading my appeal.

Raffaele 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 15:05:45
#46 ]

@tlosm

Quote:

tlosm wrote:
@OlafS25

the patch is not for jit, is a css,js fix for endianess in webkit did by Tobias N. the one who made leopard webkit on osx... is just a fix. i think kas1e can integrate it without problems.

@raffaele
did you send the patch code to kas1e?

I believe existence of this patch is public domain from months as of today, but since nothing is impossible in Amigaland and Kas1e may be unaware of that....

Me too writenvery few private message to developers in order not to bother them.

pampers 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 15:09:56
#47 ]

Quote:
When Tobias announced he had a patch, Fab popped out of nowhere saying he had had picked Tobias Patch and started working on new release as asoon as possible.

BS. He said: When my free time allows it, i'll update to this branch and merge morphos code.

That sound much different, doesn't it?

And just let me quote myself from the topic about you opening a bounty:

Quote:
No developer assigned, no limits, no terms of bounty - I won't contribute at all and let me tell you, this bounty will fail, sorry to say that.

I wish I was wrong..

Anonymous 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 16:22:03
# ]

@BSzili

Yah, i wasn't pinpointing your last post, but the whole thread/bounty case in general

Report this post  
terminills 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 16:34:52
#49 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Raffaele

You took ...

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40943&forum=2&start=100&viewmode=flat&order=0#779524

Quote:

@Raffaele

I was in contact with Tobias, as he already fixed many endian issues before this one before. But he had to work on an older branch (600) for some time, because on OSX Leopard PPC, there wasn't a recent enough GCC, with forced him to generate huge patches to reimplement c++11 parts.

Anyway, it's good to know he could work on r601 branch and fix javascriptcore endian issue there, as it's much more recent. When my free time allows it, i'll update to this branch and merge morphos code.

to mean he was currently working on it. However he didn't claim he was working on it at all. Instead he said when he had some spare time he would look into it.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

tlosm 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 16:53:52
#50 ]
Elite Member

ok little confusing... but :
what i understand
@raffaele make a bounty for commit a patch on webkit to Tobias M. to fix endianess on js core in webkit for powerpc.
Money of this bounty was collected.
Tobias did work and did this patch.
This patch will help Owb powerpc to not crash any more in some situations and in some websites
This patch is need to be apply on Owb and will need test it ... after if the patch will work raffaele will gave money to Tobias or Tobias will fix better the code.
Owb was made by FAB

This patch for me is need to be apply by FAB because it help his application

im right?

Last edited by tlosm on 13-Aug-2016 at 04:54 PM.

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

OlafS25 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 17:08:55
#51 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

OWB on MorphOS obviously uses a older version of Webkit (if I understood Fab correctly) so it is not just applying the patch. The big projects very much change sources over time.

I assume there are reasons why Deadwood proposed (in his bounty) that integrating the changes in OWB is part of the bounty

from Fab:
"it's good to know he could work on r601 branch and fix javascriptcore endian issue there, as it's much more recent. When my free time allows it, i'll update to this branch and merge morphos code."

OWB was done by Fab but sources are open now and main recent activity was on Aros by Deadwood. AmigaOS is managed by kas1e but he already said what he thinks about it. As I see it (because he cannot expect Deadwood or Fab doing the work for him) Raf must find somebody that does what should have been part of the bounty from start... integrate the sources in OWB and compile a binary. Moaning about Fab and Deadwood will not help him and for sure it is not a easy task to do that but needs some time.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 13-Aug-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 13-Aug-2016 at 05:10 PM.

tlosm 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 17:40:34
#52 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Ok Olaf thanks for the infos.

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Raffaele 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 21:26:28
#53 ]

@tlosm

Quote:

tlosm wrote:
ok little confusing... but :
what i understand
@raffaele make a bounty for commit a patch on webkit to Tobias M. to fix endianess on js core in webkit for powerpc.
Money of this bounty was collected.
Tobias did work and did this patch.
This patch will help Owb powerpc to not crash any more in some situations and in some websites
This patch is need to be apply on Owb and will need test it ... after if the patch will work raffaele will gave money to Tobias or Tobias will fix better the code.
Owb was made by FAB

This patch for me is need to be apply by FAB because it help his application

im right?

Yes and not.

1) It all started fro X86 endianess issues that afflict The part of webkit engine dealing with Javscript.

This made Fab suspending his MorphOS OWB release for almost an entire year trying solving it all alone, just in his spare time, as last year he was involved with the birth of his first son (daughter?), as long as more than a year has passed by, his baby should starting growing his first teeth then.

2) On 8 december of 2015 Deadwood launched the alarm here on this discussion on aros-exec, saying a bounty was needed, but as long as there was no interest in create a bounty, not even him had created one.

http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=97679#forumpost97679

How strange unfriendly behaviour!

3) Reading discussions on about this endianess issue, and none solving this problem, with the danger that OWB will be soon became obsolete, I launched a bounty to raise enough money and attract developers to solve this problem.

(Later it was told me that I must first found a developer who had offered himself to solve the problem and then launch a bounty to finance his efforts, but hey! This was the first bounty I ever launched and I have no pratice of bounties.)

http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=7649&start=20#97056

4) February 22, 2016 Bounty exceeded 500 US $ (now it is 433 $, as if August 14, 2016, so I suspect some people draw back their money?)

5) Kas1e and Deadwood had preferred bounty was hired on Power2People, but I tought that bounty on Bountysource had more visibility, and more people had donated for it.

In the mean time I received any sort of attacks from Amigans, with people even insinuating I never put any money in my own bounty just because I used a different nickname... There are very bad troll villains in Amigaland...

[At this very moment (aug/14/2016) I am strongly suspecting Amigans have no any desire of seeing their problems solved, they want just to cry on their miseries, but they will not rise a single finger to do something real concrete, because it is good for them singing greek death lamentation songs on Amiga forums and launch useless flamewars, or pointlessly discussing scholar Pickwick Circle-like topics on what it could be the sex of angels, or how to revive dodos from their lost DNA instead than discussing constructively on practical problems of our platform.]

6) March 1, 2016 Tobias Netzel announced he had a patch based on Safari r601 branch

https://www.bountysource.com/issues/30646188-odyssey-web-browser-solve-ppc-webkit-javascript-engine-endianess-problems-inherited-from-webkit-x86

7) March 2, 2016 Fabien Coeurjoly got amazed at the news and started working trying adapting Tobias Netzel Patch into MorphOS OWB.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=40943&forum=2&start=100&viewmode=flat&order=0#779524

Considering he wrote on 2 of march, and there is whole March still to pass, it is about 5 months and 14 days...
Since then no news...

8) Just after Fab's pist I asked him to report if the patch was good, but I think he completely abandoned discussion?

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=40943&forum=2&start=100&viewmode=flat&order=0#779532

9) Nor Kas1e neither Deadwood shown any public interest in hear news of existence of Tobias Javascript patch...
At this very moment I don't know if anyone of them ever tried committing this patch to AmigaOS OWB and tested it on their sourcecode, so I can't give money to Netzel as I am completely blind of any results, nor in Amigaland, where Kas1e and Deadwood seem they were working on it, neither in MorphOS camp where Fab is silent since he announced hevwas wirkung on the patch.

FYI Fab created OWB by porting it from a mobile browser by a firm that now ceased its activities.

Last edited by Raffaele on 14-Aug-2016 at 09:32 PM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 22:02:52
#54 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

I dont recall Deadwood *ever* claiming to be interested in working on anything but AROS OWB.
Why would he be interested in applying patches that arent needed for his version? AROS OWB.has not just working javascript, but javascript with jit.
He has offered insight, nothing more. Is the revision of the webkit engine this patch is for even as recent as that used in x86 Odyssey?

Also, Odyssey has moved beyond sandown's owb and now (for a long time) is based on webkit directly. (that is to say owb no longer has anything to do with sandown's program apart from sharing an anagram).

Im not sure you realise the workload involved here. Its more than a simple patch. It involved updating entire webkit then merging it with owb.

I understand that you're just trying to contribute, but you really should have tried to learn the subject matter better first.
Also jumping up and down and antagonizing the few people with the skills is hardly going to encourage people. Its more likely to piss them off, especially when theyve patiently tried to explain whats involved already.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 14-Aug-2016 at 10:12 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 11:25:27
#55 ]

@fishy_fis

As long as Deadwood was one of the first who launched alarm of presence of endianess issues and he talk first of a bounty I had the false assumption that he was in someway involved with AmigaOS PPC too and not only with AROS. Too bad he is another person close in its little garden (this time it is AROS camp) not spacing outside dialoguing with other camps in a mutual help and parallel development.

And he is only one of many!

Amigaland is becoming more and more divided any day that psses.

Last edited by Raffaele on 15-Aug-2016 at 11:28 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 11:31:27
#56 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

the reason he raised the idea for his bounty was to get OWB on 68k that would have the same problems as PPC. If you look you will see that he raised ideas for other Aros 68k bounties at that time. To collect more potential bounty money the bounty description was wider and not just Aros 68k. Deadwood never was interested anyhow in anything PPC related, whatever you read from his comments.

OlafS25 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 11:34:36
#57 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

is it so hard to understand?

Netzel and you did only small parts of the work. OWB on MorphOS includes older webkit so Fab would need to update Webkit first, then apply patch after checking it carefully for security reasons. A lot of work. Deadwood is not involved in PPC at all, he has working JIT in OWB already, and additionally is not interested in PPC and never was.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 12:07:03
#58 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

How is Deadwood focusing on AROS any different to Fab focusing on Mos, or Kas1e being more OS4 focused, etc?
People have their preferences and focus on them (for free, or shrapnel too I hasten to add).
This is no small job either, nor is it easy work, even for those with the skills and knowledge.
Our developers do great work for no real reward. "Thank you" is much more appropriate than implying selfishness in my opinion.
There's also the fact that work, where it overlaps is sometimes shared. Its not as single camp focused as you seem to think. OS4 owb has already benefitted from deadwood's work, and deadwood has benefitted from fab's work, and so on. One way or another its a hell of a lot more reasonable and ethical than the farce that is Timberwolf.

p.s. sorry to involve you kas1e, fab and deadwood. I just did so to illustrate a point.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 15-Aug-2016 at 12:12 PM.

BSzili 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 8:58:50
#59 ]

@fishy_fis

Isn't it amazing how he rags deadwood for not showing interest in the patch, even though he never said he would work on it? He didn't deserve all this public shaming for not doing somebody else's work for free. On the other hand Raf is willing to pay the bounty sum to Tobias, despite the fact that integrating the patch to Odyssey was part of the conditions of his bounty. Talk about double standards.

OlafS25 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 9:13:00
#60 ]
Elite Member

@BSzili

is it part of his bounty? He and the programmer who did the patch seem not to think so, it seems Raf thinks it is just copy&paste and not a lot of work. He cites bounty description of deadwood for technical reference (that has included integrating in OWB) but I did not understand what exactly his bounty was. And now he expects others to do the work for free even though both are not interested.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle