Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 117 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  21 mins ago
 Frank:  27 mins ago
 OlafS25:  28 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  47 mins ago
 MickJT:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 AndreasM:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 sibbi:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 saimo:  2 hrs 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Deadwood, Fab, Tobias: OWB Javascript PPC Patch and a pending bounty
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
tlosm 
Re: Deadwood, Fab, Tobias: OWB Javascript PPC Patch and a pending bounty
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 16:29:32
#81 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

odyssey is build on old webkit rv524 if i good remember , the patch is made for lastest.
when fab will switch odyssey on 600r1 he will apply the patch.
note lastest webkit improve really much htm5 compatibilty.

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Profile     Report this post  
tlosm 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 16:34:41
#82 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

bravo bigfoot, when he will made this true mos will become the fastest ppc os in browsing.

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

ChrisH 
Posted on 18-Aug-2016 12:36:16
#83 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele Quote:
[At this very moment (aug/14/2016) I am strongly suspecting Amigans have no any desire of seeing their problems solved, they want just to cry on their miseries, but they will not rise a single finger to do something real concrete, because it is good for them singing greek death lamentation songs on Amiga forums and launch useless flamewars

Hmmm, please don't mistake AmigaWorld.net as being representative of Amiga users in general. AmigaWorld is only representative of people who use AmigaWorld (i.e. AmigaWorld has it's own social conventions & expectations, which don't have much relation to other forums). If you don't like how people react on AmigaWorld, I suggest finding a different forum, although I am not aware of an English forum which covers more than one Amiga flavour. (So in which case you may have to make the same post on multiple flavour-specific forums.)

Quote:
Considering he [Fab] wrote on 2 of march, and there is whole March still to pass, it is about 5 months and 14 days...
Since then no news...

And so what? Who says that Fab has had the time (or interest) to trying merging (Endian fix) changes from one huge source tree (Safari r601) into another huge source tree (whatever version of WebKit is used by OWB)? You even said he had a baby 1 year ago, so surely you should understand he will have very little (if any) time for coding?

Quote:
Too bad he [DeadWood] is another person close in its little garden (this time it is AROS camp) not spacing outside dialoguing with other camps in a mutual help and parallel development.

Are you on-purposely trying to piss-off any Amiga developer who might possible have interest in helping you whenever they can find the time & motivation? And why is it wrong that DeadWood is mainly interested in AROS? Unlike you, he probably does not have infinite free time...

Quote:
Fab and Kas1e (or whoever is in charge for AmigaOS version of OWB) had five months of time to check the patch and have enough skills to say:

"Pay the guy, as I recognize Tobias Netzel patch is good"

or

"Don't pay the guy and dismiss the bounty! I've checkednthe patch and is all but spaghetti code!"

Is it so difficult?

Yes it is. I wonder if you actually understoof what anyone said to you here :(

P.S. I appreciated your efforts UNTIL you started demanding that Fab/DeadWood/etc do work they never said they'd do. You act like a spoiled child, who thinks he is entitled to whatever he wants. I appreciate it's frustrating that no-one has the time to look at Tobias's endian fixes, but getting angry at developers will only make them LESS likely to do what you would like.

pampers 
Posted on 18-Aug-2016 12:40:31
#84 ]

@ChrisH

He won't understand.

Quote:
actually my ego it is reaching the stars

Says it all..

Raffaele 
Posted on 18-Aug-2016 13:50:05
#85 ]

@pampers

Quote:

pampers wrote:
@ChrisH

He won't understand.

Quote:
actually my ego it is reaching the stars

Says it all..

You asked for it dude, you deserve it.

Better being the most exhalted person in a land of overexalthed people than succumb pitiful personal attacks from varios sides and bear with no response unuseful babbling of the notorious endless chatters.

Last edited by Raffaele on 18-Aug-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 18-Aug-2016 13:57:12
#86 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@Raffaele [quote]

P.S. I appreciated your efforts UNTIL you started demanding that Fab/DeadWood/etc do work they never said they'd do.

Regarding Fab, well, actually he did. He said he had started working on the patch on his MorphOS version then we was lost since then.

Regarding Deadwood if he is involved only in X86 AROS development well, good for him.

I just overestimated his commitment in the javascript issue affair as I seen he launched the alarm on endianess.

Now I learnt he just cared only for AEOS 68K version and no for PPC. So my request on about Deadwood response officially stopped since then.

Last edited by Raffaele on 18-Aug-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 18-Aug-2016 at 01:59 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Aug-2016 14:24:39
#87 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

what "alarm" do you talk about?

It sounds like this issue is a matter of survival for Deadwood. He made a bounty proposal, the response was not very high and he dropped the idea. He never would have had the time himself to do it, that is why inlcuding the patch in OWB source was part of his bounty proposal. You excluded this workload from your bounty and now are bashing both Fab and Deadwood for not doing all the work for you.

You got the response:
kas1e mainly integrates source changes he gets from Fab and recently Deadwood and compiles OWB for 4.X
Fab is maintaining OWB on MorphOS but has no time for it now and would need to update webkit first (lots of work)
Deadwood is mainly interested in Aros X86 and (recently) Aros 68k. I even doubt that he owns anything PPC related and still you expect him to do the work.

if it is not integrated in OWB then it is just a useless piece of software, at least for Amiga users. If Fab or Deadood would make the efforts to check it and say ok but not integrate it in OWB people who donated would be angry and ask when it will be in OWB (you would be first one to request that). Then they (Deadwood and Fab) would get the blame. Why on earth they should do that?

Last edited by OlafS25 on 18-Aug-2016 at 02:26 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Aug-2016 14:29:54
#88 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

I think it is even more recent than the webkit version Deadwood integrated in Aros X86. It would have made much more sense to create a patch for a webkit version used on any amiga related platform than for a not used. BTW until Fab has time again who knows if not the webkit version used for the patch is not outdated again.

wawa 
Posted on 18-Aug-2016 16:50:59
#89 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

Quote:
bravo bigfoot, when he will made this true mos will become the fastest ppc os in browsing.

this is old news, before raffaele even started his bounty, the problem were still remaining issues. i dont know or remember why this was a show stopper, but since he hasnt realased his patch it must have been essential.

now on topic, if you are able to compile the patch for osx and if youi are sure that it isn system dependent, you might be able to simply commit the necessary revision along with the patch to a branch in odyssey repository and if the interface has not chandged in the meantine the browser might be possible to compile with that engine.

Last edited by wawa on 18-Aug-2016 at 05:11 PM.

tlosm 
Posted on 18-Aug-2016 20:06:16
#90 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

The patch is for webkit r601 code it is much different from the r5xx code.
im sure the big job is the r601gui conversion from cocoa/carbon/qt to mui interface and video/audio decoding system. others parts i think will remain exactly the same and will not need code conversion. Fab, kas1e etc can probably better explain then me.

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Fab 
Posted on 18-Aug-2016 21:25:54
#91 ]

@tlosm

I'm taking your message to reply, but it could have been another one. :)

Latest Odyssey on MorphOS is based on r161078 svn revision, which is also labelled as r537 branch on WebKit branches, the next ones being r538, r600 and r601. r601 branch begins at r172xxx svn revision, for the record. So no, MorphOS OWB not *that* old and *that* much different. But for sure, it needs a more recent version, the most interesting being the memory leak and cookies fixes from Deadwood, actually.

As you said, the code base certainly evolved, but the upper layers (GUI, network, HTML5 audio/video backend...) didn't change that much. They're most often only about refactoring and API changes, but it's not too much work to adapt them. The main blocker was this Javascript endian issue, which has probably been fixed by Tobias, at least for the revision he applied it to.

When i've got enough time (and unfortunately, i don't have a lot), i'll have to find the most recent version i could build in may 2015 (it wa acs around r181xxx), and check whether Tobias fixes can be integrated. But again, no promise, it needs several hours/days to handle this, and i rarely have that much free time.

tlosm 
Posted on 18-Aug-2016 21:58:09
#92 ]
Elite Member

@Fab

thanks for infos

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

BoingBear 
Posted on 18-Aug-2016 23:02:10
#93 ]

@Fab

Thanks for replying to this thread. In case you will check it again within a week or two, just to see what else is written here, I'll ask if money could help you find the free time, to complete this upgrade to Odyssey/OWB. I know that money does not give you more free time, but sometimes money can appease the wife, to allow you the needed time to complete a project outside of your regular job.

If money would allow you to take free time away from your family, and if you would even be interested in such a proposal, please let us know how much it would take, and I think the community will probably come forward with the necessary amount.

tlosm 
Posted on 19-Aug-2016 9:24:39
#94 ]
Elite Member

@BoingBear

Some time people dont have time just because life is full of things that can be happen and money dont help for have spare time
Example i have to do many things but i dont have the time for do one ...

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

pampers 
Posted on 19-Aug-2016 13:55:27
#95 ]

@BoingBear

I doubt it. Afair I was talking to Fab and Deadwood if they will be interested in bounty about that fix sometime ago and non of them were interested. You cannot buy free time with cash.

BoingBear 
Posted on 19-Aug-2016 18:46:06
#96 ]

@tlosm & pampers,

I made it very clear in my offer, that it is up to Fab to decide if he wishes to name a price to buy some of his free time, and that money does not create more time, it can only sometimes make it worthwhile for a person to redirect some of their time away from family, or personally doing nothing but relaxing.

I see no harm in asking Fab to consider this option, if he needs, or wants, the extra income. The choice is his, and the offer had no intent to request that Fab do anything against his wishes. I respect his choices on how to use his free time, and demand nothing.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle