Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 159 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  2 mins ago
 OlafS25:  6 mins ago
 pixie:  7 mins ago
 Rob:  22 mins ago
 blmara:  47 mins ago
 miggymac:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 58 mins ago
 DWolfman:  4 hrs 8 mins ago
 cncparts:  5 hrs 41 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  6 hrs 27 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Keeping the classics running
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
fishy_fis 
Re: Keeping the classics running
Posted on 27-Aug-2016 9:06:21
#21 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

Sams and micro a1's are limited in memory, speed, etc. as well compared to modern computers.
Much like the classics though people enjoy them. Theyre useless for certain things though.

I enjoyed that level of power in the late 90's,..... but as a machine to do modern computing on they're torture.

At least the classics are interesting hardware, not super slow imitations of a pc.

Profile     Report this post  
iggy 
Posted on 27-Aug-2016 14:58:20
#22 ]

@fishy_fis

I don't have any experience with Samantha boards or any of the old AmigaOne systems.
But my Apple hardware has not been a torture at all.

And the Aeon X1000 and X5000 are both powerful enough to make them practical, in fact they would be even better if the OS' that ran on them (outside of Linux) were a bit more modern (SMP support, memory protection, decent OpenGL support, etc.).

I do find legacy hardware a bit painful at times, but that's a labor of love where I expect a little pain.
And no one should fool themselves into thinking that our continuing upgrades to our legacy hardware are going to make these machines significantly less painful.
We still have to deal with OS3.1-3.9.

Drewlio77 
Posted on 27-Aug-2016 16:10:04
#23 ]
Cult Member

@iggy

I think most people are missing the point in this thread. A1200 was not commenting of the 2016 usefulness of his classic setup, just some add-ons that will improve it's functionality of the 1990's era. Plus the fact that the experience on classic hardware with classic software is not the same experience as emulation.

Amiga Emulators running classic software have no Soul, they are simply a ghost of what once was (in my opinion). I have tried several emulators including UAE. The only real experience I got from that is the smile on my face in the fact knowing I have the real functioning hardware either in use or safely stored for future Nostalgic escapades.

In short, If I want speed and modern day apps I use my PC. If I want to feel 30 years younger and re-live the Amiga glory days, I play classic games and run ancient apps on my A500 or 1200 hardware.

Long live Retro :)

Drewlio77.

Last edited by Drewlio77 on 27-Aug-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Last edited by Drewlio77 on 27-Aug-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Last edited by Drewlio77 on 27-Aug-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Beans 
Posted on 27-Aug-2016 18:48:59
#24 ]

@Drewlio77

I don't think anyone has missed the point.
A1200 wants to alter his legacy hardware in order to improve it.
You can get as touchy feely as you'd like with your hardware and glamorize that with the idea that the hardware has a "soul".

It doesn't affect the fact that I want functionality and that games are not MY primary focus.

Drewlio77 
Posted on 27-Aug-2016 19:18:08
#25 ]
Cult Member

Pickles.

Drewlio77

Last edited by Drewlio77 on 27-Aug-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Last edited by Drewlio77 on 27-Aug-2016 at 07:22 PM.

A1200 
Posted on 27-Aug-2016 21:36:49
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Beans

The only alteration is replacing capacitors so the old ones don't destroy the PCB and surrounding components. Thats like for like replacement not really alteration.

I have 2 A1200's with a 4MB RAM board and 1 with an 030 CPU and all have 3.1 ROMs, 3.1 Workbench and Internal HDDs (solid state admitedly - you got me), but apart from that they are just like we were back in the 80s/90s.

Drewlio77 
Posted on 27-Aug-2016 22:16:13
#27 ]
Cult Member

@A1200

I am thinking about getting one of these re-cap kits off ebay but my surface mount soldering experience is not the greatest. Perhaps I should practice on a few dead circuit boards to hone my skills :)

Drewlio77

TrevorDick 
Posted on 27-Aug-2016 22:51:12
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Drewlio77

I totally agree we should attempt to keeep our 68K Amigas running. My soldering skills are very basic at best. I prefer to send my Amiga motherboards to proven Amiga techs who provide a really good service. At last count, I can think of 4 or 5 companies/engineers who provide this invaluable service..

TrevorD

PS posted from my A4000 while testing the Prisma Megamix RC drivers

QuikSanz 
Posted on 27-Aug-2016 23:59:40
#29 ]

@TrevorDick,

Been waiting way too long to hear any news about the Prisma project................

Beans 
Posted on 28-Aug-2016 0:30:00
#30 ]

@Drewlio77

Sour pickles, drew, sour.
BTW my soldering sucks too.
Replacing caps is always a good idea on old hardware, even hardware that has not been used much.

And on enhancing legacy hardware, I will admit to some ugly hacking on a few systems, but it was fun.

Drewlio77 
Posted on 28-Aug-2016 0:46:24
#31 ]
Cult Member

@Beans

It is fun. Especially when you add the fact these things were designed not to be expandable beyond their Trap doors or expansion slots.

Drewlio77

A1200 
Posted on 28-Aug-2016 16:15:33
#32 ]
Elite Member

I used to send my Amigas off to be re capped but I am so impatient I couldn't stand waiting for it to come back. Now I have a few behind me, I wouldn't consider sending it off. It's not tiny SMD devices, the caps that need replacing are relatively large.

Rob 
Posted on 28-Aug-2016 16:22:00
#33 ]
Elite Member

@A1200

Anyone doubtful of their soldering ability can always practice on less exotic hardware before working on their Amiga. I'm sure it's not difficult to come by some dead or discarded PC motherboard.

BoingBear 
Posted on 28-Aug-2016 19:21:23
#34 ]

@A1200

I find it amazing and great, that we still have as many Commodore Amiga computers still in use today. I doubt that we have to worry that ALL of the original Amiga computers will suddenly stop working with no hope of being repaired, so they can be used again. Your suggestion that all Amiga users maintain their computers is a good one, and all of us should inspect for bulging capacitors, so we can replace them before they leak and do damage, so this thread is a good reminder to all of us.

I won't be surprised to see many working Amiga computers being demonstrated at the Amiga50 event in another 19 years (assuming that I am still alive at that point in time). Our retro community has to be the strongest of any electronic or mechanical device that is over 30 years old. Most devices are just forgotten, when newer devices are invented, or the device evolves into newer versions, and the original devices are discarded and not missed. That is not true for the Amiga.

Last edited by BoingBear on 28-Aug-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Dandy 
Posted on 7-Sep-2016 11:54:30
#35 ]
Elite Member

@A1200

Quote:

A1200 wrote:
@BoingBear

You could emulate or create a replica wartime encryption/decryption computers - Enigma, Colossus etc. but you can't smell, touch, get a sense of the intensity when the machines were in use. Would you visit a museum with prints of great art, or copies of ming vases? Of course not. History is in the genuine and in response to your proposed test - I wouldn't use an Amiga that was hidden from view.

But aren't you violating your own rule ("History is in the genuine") if you recap your Amigas?

Quote:

A1200 wrote:

smell the PCB and the processes that created the Amiga - which would be illegal on environmental grounds to reproduce today.

Recapped Amigas smell differently.
New capacitors distort the smell.
"The processes that created the Amiga" certainly didn't smell like your new capacitors.

Dandy

actungbaby 
Posted on 1-Oct-2016 2:01:56
#36 ]

@TrevorDick

Hi buddy i got 2 x 4000 mbs that need attention and amiga 2000 which keyboard doesint

get seen from the computer side . have you used the chap in christrchurch guy that worked for tait electronics has web site . nice friendly guy.

i live in palmerston north long time amiga guy ran bbs for many years here last amiga bbs to

operate . just need a amiga classic that has enough grunt sold the ppc blizzard many years ago.

dont have money to replace it

actungbaby 
Posted on 1-Oct-2016 2:03:50
#37 ]

@TrevorDick

Hi buddy i got 2 x 4000 mbs that need attention and amiga 2000 which keyboard doesint

get seen from the computer side . have you used the chap in christrchurch guy that worked for tait electronics has web site . nice friendly guy.

i live in palmerston north long time amiga guy ran bbs for many years here last amiga bbs to

operate . just need a amiga classic that has enough grunt sold the ppc blizzard many years ago.

dont have money to replace it

pavlor 
Posted on 1-Oct-2016 7:52:52
#38 ]
Elite Member

@actungbaby

Welcome!

mbrantley 
Posted on 1-Oct-2016 20:49:58
#39 ]
Cult Member

I agree with everybody. Heh. It's why I keep a bunch of classic Commodore era hardware going, alongside AmigaOS4 NG stuff and other computers. But, gotta say, I am really enjoying my Mist FPGA these days. Using it feels just like a Commodore Amiga to me... something about the way the mouse pointer move like you think it should and the screen looks and refreshes just perfectly. I cannot tell a difference between my A1200 and my Mist with an AGA core -- well, except my A1200 has an FPU.

I can use a Commodore-era Amiga mouse with the Mist, and that helps too. I just wish I could plug a Commodore Amiga keyboard into it. Wait, I am wondering now is that possible with some USB adapter??? I'd be very interested if it is possible.

Been tinkering too with WinUAE on my PC laptop lately..... nice to have, but doesn't feel same as the FPGA implementation -- which does to me feel the same as the original.

actungbaby 
Posted on 3-Oct-2016 2:47:02
#40 ]

@pavlor

Thanks Buddy thats nice Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@actungbaby

Welcome!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle