Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 121 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Comi:  6 mins ago
 Gunnar:  9 mins ago
 amigakit:  27 mins ago
 vox:  52 mins ago
 zipper:  55 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 32 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  A few OS4.1 Clasic Final problems with XSurf100 and CVisionPPC
Register To Post

PosterThread
Ancalimon 
A few OS4.1 Clasic Final problems with XSurf100 and CVisionPPC
Posted on 1-Oct-2016 18:47:47
#1 ]

I have a few problems when running OS4.1 on my A4000T. PPC is 400Mhz and 060 is 66Mhz. I use a CVisionPPC.

Everything runs properly under OS 3.9.

The problem is that system freezes under certain conditions.

1- When the monitor is set at a high refresh rate (like 85 or 100) smooth scrolling on a browser causes a freeze on OS4.1

2- When using any Xsurf100 driver other than the x-surf-100.device_030z3nd version (size 17332kb) on OS4.1, network traffic causes a freeze sometimes right after system boot, and more often than that after a few seconds or a minute after I start downloading something. Using 020 version of XSurf100.device give me much higher transfer rates but unfortunately it causes freezing.

I have terminated the scsi chain using active terminators so it should not be causing problems (although I have a problem with the sata one causing lots of luns appearing on OS4.1)

Could this be because of too much heat on CVisionPPC? Where can I find a suitable cooler for it?

Last edited by Ancalimon on 17-Jan-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
klapdeur 
Re: A few OS4.1 Clasic Final problems with XSurf100 and CVisionPPC
Posted on 3-Oct-2016 9:42:42
#2 ]

@Ancalimon

Hi only thing i know of os 4 classicnis when my cyberstorm ppc worked and installes the xsurf was the trouble maker i changed fron x surf to adraine 2 and futher no problems at all.

Cybervisionppc caused never any trouble with os 4 classic. But you can place a heatsink on it i have done that because heat problems i had with the cybervisionppc.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

bennymee 
Posted on 3-Oct-2016 10:57:35
#3 ]
Cult Member

@Ancalimon

2. there are more people with the buggy 020 version, it is bug of the Xsurf 020-driver or maybe the Petunia emulator.

The heat of the CybervisionPPC:

In the Shell do a: 'list sys: all'

This should give a lot of scrolling content, but not so many colors as browser-content, before a GFX-card freezes most of the time you see glitches in the display first.

First you should try to an ordinairy casefan near the CybervisionPPC to see if this helps.

Last edited by bennymee on 03-Oct-2016 at 10:58 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 4-Oct-2016 14:11:43
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Ancalimon

Where you'd get such a fast PPC? Assume to set OS4 PPC settings in early PPC menu?

You monitor is a CRT? Refresh rate high.

Can you soft reboot after freeze? No Reaper? I don't know if C:DumpDebugBuffer will report anything after a freeze.

OS4 has no XSurf100 driver? What's going on there?

Got your SCSI sorted. Good. I get the LUN pronlem on my CyberStorm 68K SCSI setup.

HammerD 
Posted on 4-Oct-2016 18:39:12
#5 ]
Cult Member

@Ancalimon

I had a CS PPC that I overclocked to 360MHz and 060 66Mhz. SCSI/hard disk would lock up under OS 4.1 Classic but under OS 3.9 it was fine.

I could only assume that OS4.1 Classic didn't like the overclocked SCSI for whatever reason.

Try with an IDE-only system to see if freezes go away.

Ancalimon 
Posted on 17-Jan-2017 15:22:24
#6 ]

@HammerD

A bit late reply but the problem continues.

OS 4.1 does not lock and is very stable unless I use the 020 version of xsurf100 device. So that rules out scsi problems.

When using the 020 version of Xsurf100 driver OS4 locks up while it is loading wbstartup programs.

One time out of maybe 10 times, it boots properly but then it would lock up after I start downloading something or opening a web page.

one of the 030 versions of XS?rf100.device works without any problems but it is around 10 times slower than this 020 version. The 020 version under OS4 downloads at 1mb per second (compared to around 200 300kb under os3.9)

EDIT: After 10 reboot retries, Amiga booted successfully and downloaded a 75mb file at around 850kb per second without locking up for the first time.. And smooth scrolling in IBrowse is not causing any freeze. I'm afraid this is only a one time ride though :) I wonder what is causing this.

Last edited by Ancalimon on 17-Jan-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Last edited by Ancalimon on 17-Jan-2017 at 03:27 PM.

HammerD 
Posted on 17-Jan-2017 17:03:31
#7 ]
Cult Member

@Ancalimon

I don't think the XSurf has a native OS4 driver (I think it's 68k). The best case scenario would be to get the developer to write an OS4 native version of the driver. That's unlikely to happen, so I'm afraid you probably stuck where you are.

You may want to consider getting a Mediator, then you can use a very cheap RLT8029 card which works reliably. You can then also use a Radeon 9250 and get composting and Warp3D support. The CV PPC is a great card but it doesn't have compositing support on OS 4.1. (due to hardware limitations).

Ancalimon 
Posted on 17-Jan-2017 17:35:41
#8 ]

@Hypex

The ppc is 400Mhz replaced by stachu. OS4 setting are done according to documentation.
Monitor is CRT and using a 100hz screenmode to have semi-smooth (50hz x 2) mouse movement.
I can soft reboot after the freeze. When it happens everything just freeze on screen including mouse.

This only happens if I use the 020 version of xsurf.device on OS4. I have seen other people reporting that it was running without any problems.

Last edited by Ancalimon on 17-Jan-2017 at 05:36 PM.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle