Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 152 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  17 mins ago
 djnick:  37 mins ago
 agami:  53 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 50 mins ago
 Hammer:  4 hrs 2 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 43 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 46 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 54 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Blown fuses
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
A1200 
Re: Blown fuses
Posted on 7-Dec-2016 0:59:35
#21 ]
Elite Member

@RoqueFort

Why not go emulation? Then at least you can have local shops take a look at the hardware. My experience of local computer shops is they will simply replace broken components, being an Amiga, they can only really do the PSU and that's only if its an AT/ATX PSU - anything other than that you would be best going to an electrical engineer or shipping it worldwide to another Amiga shop. There's nothing wrong with just replacing bits until it kicks back into life - starting with the PSU I guess. Perhaps downsize to a simpler setup too??

Profile     Report this post  
Rob 
Posted on 7-Dec-2016 7:55:46
#22 ]
Elite Member

@RoqueFort

Quote:
I've decided to try and get it fixed at my local computer shop, 121 computers. Anyone know if they will be understanding with an Amiga?

Unless someone there is familiar with an Amiga then they'll only be able change generic parts like PSUs, hard disks and CD drives.

Quote:
They'd only be able to help with the PSU, and even then, only if it is a "generic" computer PSU and not an Amiga-specific one. Are PC PSUs compatible with Amigas?

Most Amiga 1200 tower cases came with an AT power supply but the later Elbox D-BOX 1200 came with an ATX and if Amiga kit had to replace the PSU after the mishap it you will probably have an ATX PSU too since AT became obsolete at the end of the 90's.

Does the motherboard get it's power from the PSU internally (usually only with a PCI/Zorro busboard) or is the there a square plug on a lead coming out the back of the tower to connect into the A1200's power connector?

Something like this.

If it's like that then power can be fed to the motherboard via the floppy power header for testing purposes. It's probably best if then remove the accelerator beforehand so there isn't much drain from that. The ATX PSU can be switched on by bridging the green wire on the ATX power connector to any black (ground) wire such as the one next to the green.

If the A1200 motherboard is proven to be working from the test then you'll want them to modify the supply to work with your A1200 in the same manner as the existing PSU.

The information on the next link will be very helpful to them for converting the new PSU.

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/amiga_hacks/Amiga_Power_supplies/amiga_power_supplies.html#rewiring

If you can take some photos of the inside of your A1200 so I can see exactly how the PSU is connected to the motherboard it would be very helpful. Just so i can make sure my advice is 100% correct for your setup.

Rob 
Posted on 7-Dec-2016 8:25:49
#23 ]
Elite Member

@A1200

Quote:
My experience of local computer shops is they will simply replace broken components, being an Amiga, they can only really do the PSU and that's only if its an AT/ATX PSU - anything other than that you would be best going to an electrical engineer or shipping it worldwide to another Amiga shop.

Sending the tower abroad is a bit impractical. If it came to that I'd rather he sent it to Amigakit so I can pop there and do the job for free, If Amigakit were happy to let me. I need to visit there sometime, well at least when they get Gorky17 back in stock.

Anyway hopefully it's just the PSU and he can get it done locally. 121's workshop look well organised so I'm sure their staff should be competent enough to sort that out.

RoqueFort 
Posted on 7-Dec-2016 10:09:40
#24 ]
Elite Member

Thanks for the info and advice, everyone.

My mother spoke to 121 on Monday to explain things a little, so I'll be taking the Amiga tower into them today.

Sounds like the technician set to work on it is a bit younger than me, and so hasn't heard of Amigas! this may be better, as he'll be taking an open-minded approach!

Also spoke to Amigakit, and they say any modern, generic computer PSU will work, so let's hope that's the only thing that needs replacing!

Sex doesn't prove to me that sex doesn't suck.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 7-Dec-2016 18:48:33
#25 ]

@RoqueFort,

With a bit of patience, I'm sure you'll get it sorted out. Think positive.

Chris

Rob 
Posted on 8-Dec-2016 3:15:22
#26 ]
Elite Member

@RoqueFort

Quote:
My mother spoke to 121 on Monday to explain things a little, so I'll be taking the Amiga tower into them today.

Sounds like the technician set to work on it is a bit younger than me, and so hasn't heard of Amigas! this may be better, as he'll be taking an open-minded approach!

I hope you're A1200 is up and running again soon and if not then the fault is at least diagnosed. Let us know how it goes.

Quote:
Also spoke to Amigakit, and they say any modern, generic computer PSU will work, so let's hope that's the only thing that needs replacing!

Good to know.

RoqueFort 
Posted on 12-Dec-2016 17:04:32
#27 ]
Elite Member

OK...

Got my Miggy back from 121 computers this afternoon...

IT'S FIXED!!!

So, It WAS only the PSU that needed replacing!
to everyone who persuaded me to take it to a regular PC shop, it's made things a LOT easier for me, AND for Amigakit!

First thing I did, after checking it all worked, was back up some important files onto a USB stick with Subway. Will try to remember that generally, from now on!

QuikSanz 
Posted on 12-Dec-2016 23:14:20
#28 ]

@RoqueFort,

Happy to see you got fast service and all is well. Always think positive.

Rob 
Posted on 13-Dec-2016 2:10:24
#29 ]
Elite Member

@RoqueFort

Fantastic to hear your Amiga is working again and ready for the Christmas break.

RoqueFort 
Posted on 13-Dec-2016 11:40:56
#30 ]
Elite Member

The man who took in my A1200T was older than the guy my ma spoke to on the phone, old enough that he DID remember Amigas! he was quite fascinated!

I took in some extras that he would need: power lead, monitor cable and old-fashioned mouse. He said he hadn't seen such a mouse in about twenty years, and that mine was the second he'd suddenly seen that week!

I explained (possibly reminded) a couple of things, like you don't need a password to get into it, and you don't need to shut it down, just press the big button on the front to turn it off!

Well, interestingly the front power button seems dodgy, think it was so before I got the miggy fixed! if you don't press it just right, the miggy resets rather than turning off! is it safe to turn it off via the switch on the back of the PSU instead?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle