Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 128 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  20 secs ago
 OlafS25:  1 min ago
 MickJT:  7 mins ago
 A1200:  31 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Things i would like to be addressed by OS developers
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Chris_Y 
Re: Things i would like to be addressed by OS developers
Posted on 6-Feb-2017 18:02:33
#21 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
4) text rendering speed.

Turn off font antialiasing, or if you're a masochist switch to only using bitmap fonts in designed sizes.

Profile     Report this post  
BSzili 
Posted on 6-Feb-2017 18:16:30
#22 ]

@pavlor

I also prefer navigational file managers. Spatial ones open too much windows as you go deep into the directory tree. Ideally Workbench sould offer both modes, so the users could choose

Amigo1 
Posted on 6-Feb-2017 19:51:19
#23 ]

@Xenic

Quote:

Xenic wrote:
@Amigo1
Quote:
My hands are not big enough to balance 30 files with one hand and open a drawer with the other.. so will you tell me how you are supposed to balance them on the tip of a mouse(pointer)?

First, open the destination window and then:

1. Select the WorkBench menu "Window/Select contents" to select all files in a window, click on one of the selected files and then drag it to the destination window. All files will be copied.

or

2. Hold down the shift key with one hand; with the other hand select the files you want to copy, click on one of the selected files and drag the file to the destination window. All selected files will be copied.

It was a joke Xenic, in reference of what you wrote here:

Quote:

How are you going to copy files from one folder to another if you only have one window showing the contents of a single folder?? Drag-and-drop doesn't work very well if there is no place to drop.

because instead of using drag-and-drop, on AmigaOS4.x you can select the contents of the window, use the context menu and select the "copy" entry, then go to the other window, context menu again and select "paste".
Voila, you have copied and pasted files/drawers using only one window.
Quote:

I get the impression that some people in this topic are Amiga newbies or have never fully explored Workbench operation.

Quote:

Quote:
Com'on this is a retro forum

How is an "OS4.x" a retro forum; it's an NG forum.

Because AmigaOS4 is still "retro" in comparison to other contemporary platforms.
You surely know that. Best example is running Linux and AmigaOS on the same hardware (X1000 or X5000).
For a lot of things there is need to switch to linux. sad but true.

Last edited by Amigo1 on 06-Feb-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Signal 
Posted on 6-Feb-2017 20:16:09
#24 ]
Cult Member

@BSzili

Quote:

BSzili wrote:
@pavlor

I also prefer navigational file managers. Spatial ones open too much windows as you go deep into the directory tree. Ideally Workbench sould offer both modes, so the users could choose

How about...POP-UP-MENUS.

Hypex 
Posted on 7-Feb-2017 2:34:45
#25 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
I really like AmigaOS 4.1 and it's funny to use.

Haha.

Quote:
Any comment?

Actually yes. Now there's a copy and paste discussion I would like a merging feature. I used to like the way AmigaOS would copy files and drawers but didn't replace drawers by removing the entire current contents like on other systems. But now it doesn't work so well. When ever I try to copy a drawer or files in order to combine them I get errors about objects already existing. What happened to Skip? It only seems to randomly appear now and then.

If it hasn't been added to FE already I would like it to ask me if I want to merge instead of giving that stupid error every time. So only copying what isn't there. Or only copying newer.

Recently I updated my SDK. I usually take Local out, wipe the SDK contents and then put Local back after updating the SDK. But since they messed around with the Local drawer which was intended to be for user files and put stuff in it I can't do that anymore. I tried DOpus but it was just as bad. I tried the WB copy and paste from context menu. I mean really, do I have to go to a shell, just to complete a basic copy operation these days?

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 7-Feb-2017 6:18:48
#26 ]
Elite Member

6) When in a Window you push the scroll up/down gadget, the scroll continue even if the icons are already out of the margin window.

Amigo1 
Posted on 7-Feb-2017 8:26:51
#27 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@AmigaBlitter

Actually yes. Now there's a copy and paste discussion I would like a merging feature. I used to like the way AmigaOS would copy files and drawers but didn't replace drawers by removing the entire current contents like on other systems. But now it doesn't work so well. When ever I try to copy a drawer or files in order to combine them I get errors about objects already existing. What happened to Skip? It only seems to randomly appear now and then.

If it hasn't been added to FE already I would like it to ask me if I want to merge instead of giving that stupid error every time. So only copying what isn't there. Or only copying newer.

I miss that feature too. It was really handy. A new well implemented merge function that can also "skip" and "skip all" would be really great.

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 7-Feb-2017 9:05:16
#28 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@Xenic
I used GEM as an example, because it predates Workbench, but similar navigational file management is common in most OSs today.

It's not a question of when the OS was born but of the chosen paradigm at that time, it wasn't a forced decision i suppose.
Amiga chose spatial, OS2 did so even if it was newer and even Nautilus on Linux.
Nowadays on most mainstream OSes you can have both out of the box and choose whatever you prefer, on the Amiga you have to resort on third party utilities like Magellan.

Daedalus 
Posted on 7-Feb-2017 9:12:26
#29 ]

Has nobody mentioned Filer yet? I find it's a pretty decent navigational add-on that integrates relatively well with Workbench for the odd times I want to use navigational management instead of spatial.

As for merging directories, I don't think the behaviour has changed there - there are plenty of times when I get Object already Exists errors on OS3's Workbench too. The reason it seems random is because it depends on what type of copy you're doing. If you're moving files around in the same volume, that will fail because the internal Move function doesn't overwrite files. If you do it across different volumes, it uses the copy function instead, which happily overwrites files with a warning requester. So perhaps having the updated drawer on a different volume prior to merging would help Workbench behave as you expect.

Daedalus 
Posted on 7-Feb-2017 9:14:48
#30 ]

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:

AmigaBlitter wrote:

6) When in a Window you push the scroll up/down gadget, the scroll continue even if the icons are already out of the margin window.

You know, I actually like this feature. It lets me find (or rather, create) an empty portion of window into which I can drop files. Useful in cases where the window is packed with drawers, meaning dropping into the window and not a subdirectory would otherwise be tricky. I find myself cursing Windows for not letting me do that in Explorer.

Trixie 
Posted on 7-Feb-2017 10:03:06
#31 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Daedalus

Quote:
Has nobody mentioned Filer yet? I find it's a pretty decent navigational add-on

Too bad Filer has changed hands: on OpenAmiga.org it would have been taken much further by now.

I don't have a problem with Hyperion owning the sources: I have a problem with them sitting on them. If OS4 development commitments drain all manpower, the bare minimum you can always do is ask "hey, would anybody like to update Filer for us"? If there are no volunteers, heck, open a bounty: we've seen bounties for much less needed things around here!

But perhaps it's easier to put up an embarrasing 45-minute AmiWest presentation full of excuses.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

KimmoK 
Posted on 7-Feb-2017 10:09:23
#32 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

" create) an empty portion of window into which I can drop files"
" I find myself cursing Windows for not letting me do that in Explorer."

+1 !!!!!

@Trixie

> bare minimum you can always do is ask "hey, would anybody like to update Filer for us"? If there are no volunteers, heck, open a bounty: we've seen bounties for much less needed things around here!

+1 !

Not had time for Amiga stuff for awhile. But when I have, file handling I do most of the time, I think.

Last edited by KimmoK on 07-Feb-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 07-Feb-2017 at 10:10 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Tomppeli 
Posted on 7-Feb-2017 12:24:56
#33 ]

Quote:
Has nobody mentioned Filer yet?

I have wondered why Filer have been more popular than HyperBench, it seems ? Maybe somebody could educate me ?

Massi 
Posted on 7-Feb-2017 14:37:46
#34 ]
Cult Member

@All

Symmetric Multiprocessing SMP

Xenic 
Posted on 7-Feb-2017 18:09:39
#35 ]

@Amigo1
After re-reading my post I've decided it was a little terse but I thought you were serious about needing to drag a bunch of files to the WorkBench desktop and then drag them to a destination window. The context menu works for copying from one window but you can shift-select files in multiple windows and then drag them to a single destination window. It's not something you would use very much but it works

Xenic 
Posted on 7-Feb-2017 18:24:50
#36 ]

@pavlor
I wouldn't care if a single window option were added to WorkBench, but a lot of us Amiga old-timers would probably be upset if the traditional WorkBench methods were completely replaced by a single window system. I don't think that radically changing WorkBench is necessary because there are a number of alternative file management system available. You can actually replace Workbench with Dopus5 if you want. Personally, I still use the old-style Dopus4 file manager. I have WBStartup open it on it's own screen behind workbench so it's always readily available.

pavlor 
Posted on 7-Feb-2017 19:31:50
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Xenic

Windows 95 uses spatial mode by default, but this can be turned to navigational. I think such settings would be ideal for AmigaOS (spatial by default, but configurable).

marko 
Posted on 7-Feb-2017 20:24:54
#38 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

@Daedalus

Quote:
Has nobody mentioned Filer yet? I find it's a pretty decent navigational add-on that integrates relatively well with Workbench for the odd times I want to use navigational management instead of spatial.

Filer is my default file manager, it's my main manager regardless if I'm copying files or opening programs I haven't in any AmiDock or in the path via Shell. It has been so ever since I started using AOS4 now many years ago...
I usually have 1-3, or even 4, Filers open at the same time so I can jump around fast between the paths

Sometimes I fire up Dopus 4 or 5 or DirMeUp also, but Dopus 4 mostly as my second manager.

I rarely open the WB drawers at all, only sometimes when I have unpacked something to the Ram Disk, and then just to check out the icons (as they tend to be little bigger in that view).

Last edited by marko on 07-Feb-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Last edited by marko on 07-Feb-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Last edited by marko on 07-Feb-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Last edited by marko on 07-Feb-2017 at 08:27 PM.

m4rko.com/AMIGA

BigD 
Posted on 7-Feb-2017 20:50:35
#39 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
What happened to Skip? It only seems to randomly appear now and then.

Why the hell was that removed? That is a basic component of Workbench behaviour! I am shocked that in some ways the OS regressed!

kamelito 
Posted on 7-Feb-2017 21:14:03
#40 ]
Cult Member

Browser II + whatis.library, too bad that the source code hasn't been made pubic.
Kamelito

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle