Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 120 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 billt:  7 mins ago
 Rob:  11 mins ago
 amigang:  18 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  20 mins ago
 agami:  44 mins ago
 matthey:  50 mins ago
 kolla:  58 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  New Member Introductions
      /  Hello everybody. New Amiga guy.
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Raffaele 
Re: Hello everybody. New Amiga guy.
Posted on 3-Mar-2017 15:34:09
#41 ]

@icedigger

There is SambaFS for Amiga too... Best choice it is using it.

Amiga has not yet functioning JAVA so you can't see NAS content in a Browser page with their icons.

DirOPUS with its function CLONE will copy all content of your system directories, wherever you want to, and preserving datestamps and attributes.

It is a superb, fully configurable filemanager. And so then no need to backup software.

(Psst. Diropus can also access directly to FTP sites and SMBFilesystem storage devices, as if they were local devices, if correctly set up)

Last edited by Raffaele on 03-Mar-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 03-Mar-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Templario 
Posted on 3-Mar-2017 17:37:38
#42 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH
And the best music player for Amiga systems AmigaAmp:
http://www.amigaamp.de/

icedigger 
Posted on 3-Mar-2017 18:19:24
#43 ]

@Raffaele

Very cool.

Thank you.

ChrisH 
Posted on 4-Mar-2017 14:22:51
#44 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele Quote:
AmigaOS at this moment makes no deep use of MMU and has no Virtual Memory files opened all around on Hard Disk, so no danger of turning off computer with risk of trashing Hard Disk during writing operations.

Just nit-picking here, but your explanation is completely wrong

AmigaOS4 makes heavy use of MMU for Virtual Memory & does optionally support a Swap partition. (However, the use of 32-bit pointers prevents this being much use when you have 2+GB of RAM.)

The reason AmigaOS (both current & classic) versions doesn't need a special Shutdown procedure is two fold:
1. The OS avoids storing complex (interlinked) state, that could be corrupted if only part of it is written to disk. The epitome of this in Windows is it's Registry, which is a huge monolithic blob. You could probably write an essay about this...
2. The OS now uses a Journaled filing system (currently SFS), so if you switch-off while changes are being made to the disk, then it should still be in a valid state. (Although the contents of files could potentially become corrupt, so still be careful!)

Last edited by ChrisH on 04-Mar-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 04-Mar-2017 at 02:23 PM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 4-Mar-2017 14:40:46
#45 ]
Elite Member

@icedigger Quote:
What is the best file manager

My personal recommendation is called Filer, which should even come with OS4 as a Contribution, but you can download it here too:
http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=utility/filetool/filer.lha

OS4's pop-up Context Menus are even pre-configured for it, so it integrates reasonably well with Workbench. (However, I still like to improve this integration.)

Filer is basically a clone of Directory Opus 5/Magellan, except without all the complexity. I think it strikes a great balance between power & simplicity...

Raffaele was probably suggesting Directory Opus *4*, which is a rather simple retro solution. Not as flexible as Filer or DOpus 5, but many Amiga users seem to use it out of nostalgia (IMHO). But by all means give DOpus 4 a go.

Quote:
While we are on that, what is a good backup software

I would suggest using BackUp by OnyxSoft:
http://aminet.net/package/disk/bakup/BackUp

Quote:
and also can I backup to my server?

Only with great difficulty (IMHO). Ideally you'd do this using SMBFS, which allows mounting of Samba shares as normal Amiga volumes:
http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=network/samba/smbfs.lha

HOWEVER, it doesn't support "recent" versions of Windows Samba very well (anything from Vista onwards), so you may need to heavily downgrade Window's SMB very heavily & it might still not work well. An update last year greatly improved matters, but it's still not quite there yet.

The not-so-good ALTERNATIVE is to run an FTP server on your umm Windows server, and then use FTP Mount on the Amiga side:
http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=network/ftp/ftpmount.lha

This works best with FileZilla Server on Windows. The problem with FTP is that it does not really allow setting file dates from the client's side, so most backup programs won't work well.

Simplest solution is to create one huge LHA archive file of your partition, and then copy that to the server. But of course this is not incremental, and may have problems when the file size exceeds 2GB.

What *I* do, but takes a bit of setting-up, is to use my FolderSync2 shell program:
http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=utility/shell/foldersync2.lha

This can successfully synchronise multi-GB partitions with a Windows machine, via FTP Mount, but you need to run a Windows program before & after the Amiga program (for fast directory scanning + setting the time stamps).

BTW, backing-up to another Amiga is MUCH easier. There are Amiga-specific network filing systems that work well.

Last edited by ChrisH on 05-Mar-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 5-Mar-2017 2:54:29
#46 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@Raffaele Quote:
AmigaOS at this moment makes no deep use of MMU and has no Virtual Memory files opened all around on Hard Disk, so no danger of turning off computer with risk of trashing Hard Disk during writing operations.

AmigaOS4 makes heavy use of MMU for Virtual Memory & does optionally support a Swap partition. (However, the use of 32-bit pointers prevents this being much use when you have 2+GB of RAM.)

The reason AmigaOS (both current & classic) versions doesn't need a special Shutdown procedure is two fold:
1. The OS avoids storing complex (interlinked) state, that could be corrupted if only part of it is written to disk. The epitome of this in Windows is it's Registry, which is a huge monolithic blob. You could probably write an essay about this...
2. The OS now uses a Journaled filing system (currently SFS), so if you switch-off while changes are being made to the disk, then it should still be in a valid state. (Although the contents of files could potentially become corrupt, so still be careful!)

Really OS4 has Virtual Mem? Gee... I am too much addicted to MorphOS then. The two OSes are starting really diverging...

QuBe 
Posted on 5-Mar-2017 3:42:40
#47 ]

@icedigger

That's immense icedigger... 48T... for the home

Q!

daveyw 
Posted on 5-Mar-2017 5:47:30
#48 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:

My personal recommendation is called Filer, which should even come with OS4 as a Contribution, but you can download it here too:
http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=utility/filetool/filer.lha

OS4's pop-up Context Menus are even pre-configured for it, so it integrates reasonably well with Workbench. (However, I still like to improve this integration.)

Filer is basically a clone of Directory Opus 5/Magellan, except without all the complexity. I think it strikes a great balance between power & simplicity...

Agreed, Filer integrates well into Workbench, but this is offset by the fact that it is insanely slow, to the point that I would not recommend it for anything more than copying a few files.

A1200T 40Mhz 68040, OS 3.9

K-L 
Posted on 5-Mar-2017 7:05:36
#49 ]

@daveyw

You could try DirMeUp : http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=utility/filetool/dirmeup_demo.lha

Trixie 
Posted on 5-Mar-2017 7:44:36
#50 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Raffaele

Quote:
The two OSes are starting really diverging...

Good to see someone has finally noticed What would be the point of keeping two compatible OSes with the same features anyway?

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Kay 
Posted on 5-Mar-2017 8:53:51
#51 ]

What is the point of having two PPC AmigaOSes at all? I imagine the situation would have been a bit better if the development resources and user base had been pooled into the same platform. :-/

pavlor 
Posted on 5-Mar-2017 9:05:47
#52 ]
Elite Member

@Kay

Quote:
What is the point of having two PPC AmigaOSes at all? I imagine the situation would have been a bit better if the development resources and user base had been pooled into the same platform. :-/

Too late now... There was window of opportunity back in early 2000s when Amiga.Inc re-started OS4 project, but as always mutual distrust and egos ruined all hope for one PowerPC AmigaOS. Yes, MorphOS was so close to become AmigaOS4, but its developers did choose full control over unity so fate of both OS4 and MorphOS was sealed: platform divided in two equal parts, each too small to make any meaningful impact on mainstream market.

Mikey_C 
Posted on 5-Mar-2017 9:21:36
#53 ]
Elite Member

@icedigger

My recommendation to you is to find if there is an Amiga user group somewhere near to you. It can make all the difference on how to get the most of your new computer. Good luck

Mikey_C 
Posted on 5-Mar-2017 9:22:17
#54 ]
Elite Member

@Kay

Quote:

Kay wrote:
@icedigger

Welcome. I'm an old Amiga guy who recently came back. I hope you will enjoy your brand new X5000.

Hey Kay, long time, how's it going?

Kay 
Posted on 5-Mar-2017 10:22:11
#55 ]

@Mikey_C

Hey, you're still here, glad to see you. Thanks, it's been going well. Since the last time, I've married, built a house, and made a baby. There was also a short period of time when I was a very very minor TV celebrity in Norway, sort of. The house building bit made quite a bit of an impact on my finances, as these things tend to do, but I've now recovered to the point where I can afford some more furniture for my office. This means I will finally have some space for my computers, and so I thought it would be a good time to get back into the Amiga community.

How about you, what have you been up to?

ChrisH 
Posted on 5-Mar-2017 10:55:38
#56 ]
Elite Member

@daveyw Quote:
Agreed, Filer integrates well into Workbench, but this is offset by the fact that it is insanely slow, to the point that I would not recommend it for anything more than copying a few files.

I have to say that I have not noticed such a problem, in general... HOWEVER, I have disabled automatic Thumbnail generation, as that is horribly slow. You can find that setting under Preferences > General tab > Icons sub-tab > Generate automatically. (I also have Automatic icons disabled, but I can't recall if this effects the speed too.)

Raffaele 
Posted on 7-Mar-2017 0:02:49
#57 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@Raffaele Quote:

A question about this.

Unlike Windows and Linux I heard once that is the Amiga user free to activate/deactivate it...

You say system makes heavy use of MMU/Virtual Memory... I wonder how?

As long as almost no Amiga software made use of virtual memory for its own features, is that just the system allocating continuously chunks of RAM moving it upsy daisy 2 Gigabytes of RAM?

So IMHO it is not real "virtual" memory making use of SWAP partition on Hard Disk. It is just MMU joking with RAM in the chain over an lower 2GB and no involving opening files on Hard Disk at all.

Can you explain this please?

What is the purpose of SWAP in AmigaOS then?

daveyw 
Posted on 10-Mar-2017 23:46:05
#58 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:
I have to say that I have not noticed such a problem, in general... HOWEVER, I have disabled automatic Thumbnail generation, as that is horribly slow. You can find that setting under Preferences > General tab > Icons sub-tab > Generate automatically. (I also have Automatic icons disabled, but I can't recall if this effects the speed too.)

Yep, I have those switched off, but Filer still runs like a dog.

A1200T 40Mhz 68040, OS 3.9

PR 
Posted on 15-Mar-2017 4:30:02
#59 ]

@icedigger

You must be as exited as bought the expensive XE here to support the new comming of Amiga!

Wow. Can't Beat the feeling! Fast!

and..

Still waiting for the proggies.. Coffee time maybe.

PR 
Posted on 15-Mar-2017 4:31:11
#60 ]

@icedigger

There is actually a lot to see.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle