Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 98 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  5 mins ago
 pixie:  16 mins ago
 Rob:  17 mins ago
 FerruleMedia:  24 mins ago
 amigakit:  38 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  52 mins ago
 Dragster:  54 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 1 min ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 amig_os:  1 hr 57 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  X5000 question
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
Hypex 
Re: X5000 question
Posted on 2-Jun-2017 15:59:04
#61 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
That's exactly what you don't wont, what you won't is same format as file format your loading. If file was created on little endian CPU, you need treat that file as an little endian file. WAV was invented on PC, there is this file format little endian, you can't do anything about that, you can't invent a big endian wav file, because no program will support it.

The problem is, a file like WAV is bi-endian. It goes both ways. Yes the data is little endian but the header IDs are big endian. For example a WAV header:

52494646 4E738303 5415645 4A554E4B
R I F F W A V E J U N K

As you can the text headers ID words are stored in natural order. One can look for "RIFF" and "WAVE" on big endian. On little endian the backwards approach must be taken. Ironic in a way. And yes that was a real WAV header.

Quote:
PowerPC has reverse endian instruction, but C language does not allow the developer to define what is big endian or little endian.

Given this is an old problem that has been relevant in the recent past I find it rather "old fashioned" that specifying endian is not supported. Some data is in one specific format. Usually when read from disk but these days data generated by scripts such as Javascript is generated as little endian.

One can make macros or things like union structures or even code some ASM to do it but really a high level programmer shouldn't need to fudge in what a compiler can optimise code for.

I've also read advice that if data is little endian then there shouldn't be endian testing with different macros but to simply always converting it. This would favour PPC. But could the compiler be trusted to optimise four bytes shifted into backwards order into a direct long word read on Intel? More likely than not since Intel is well optimised. But the code would still not look as clean.

Quote:
I believe some IBM POWER CPU's can define memory blocks as big or little endian, bypassing the problem.

That would be interesting. Though those blocks would need to be defined somehow. So good for large data tables but perhaps not single variables.

Quote:
I was shocked when found out intuition / screens bitmap was reversed on Radeon 9250. Trying to swap bytes on write or read, using MMU was interesting, low impact when few pixels where changed, high impact when many pixels where changed, as I understand it Radeon HD card is able to fix this on the GPU (shadier code I guess), freeing the CPU from wasting time on converting bitmaps.

Nice one. And yes, if the framebuffer is reversed on a 9250 I would be shocked too, since I expected that model to be bi-endian.

Profile     Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 2-Jun-2017 17:06:28
#62 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
The problem is, a file like WAV is bi-endian. It goes both ways. Yes the data is little endian but the header IDs are big endian. For example a WAV header:

No it does not, a char is byte, and per definition a byte can't have a endian format, as it is the smallest unit. (if we ignore bits, but bits have only one format, just image if need to swap bits, )

The WAV header is in "char", as one byte is one byte on little or big endian it works fine.
only when you have short, int, long long int, will you get a endien problem.

In the example you give, your trying to treat char's as integer, this is the problem.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 02-Jun-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 02-Jun-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 02-Jun-2017 at 05:07 PM.

iggy 
Posted on 2-Jun-2017 17:57:22
#63 ]

@WolfpackN64

Quote:
Sometimes I really wonder why Apple ditched their Classic OS

Because NextStep/OSX is infinitely better, at least on newer hardware.
You guys can continue to wax nostalgic about OS9, I wouldn't touch it, anymore than I'd continue to use a Microsoft PC OS introduced before the NT kernel.

BigD 
Posted on 2-Jun-2017 18:29:32
#64 ]
Elite Member

@WolfpackN64

The Classic OS 9 environment while useful for old scanners etc on OS X Tiger was a buggy mess as far as I remember it on actual G3 era hardware! Constant spinning beach balls, problems ejecting discs or closing applications. It definitely wasn't a multi tasking OS and was not fit for purpose really with a lot of bloat that ruined performance. The puc-mice were the final straw in me eventually hating the original iMac. It was a computer for those that didn't love computers a bit like the Mercedes for non-car people with too much money. OS X was a massive improvement but then they tried to fuse it with iOS and now it has rubbish OpenGL support (because Metal API is the future ) and now has no killer professional apps anymore that people on PCs can't access since they messed up Final Cut Pro and the Mac Pro design (no powerful single GPU boards are supported due to heat)! Adobe Premiere and Photoshop might as well be used on a PC.

Last edited by BigD on 02-Jun-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 9-Jun-2017 12:16:12
#65 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
No it does not, a char is byte, and per definition a byte can't have a endian format, as it is the smallest unit.

That may be so but it happens to fit neatly in a 32-bit space and all code I read loads it in as a pointer and compares it with a backwards number.

Quote:
The WAV header is in "char", as one byte is one byte on little or big endian it works fine.
only when you have short, int, long long int, will you get a endien problem.

It may be char but programmers don't seem to know that. They don't treat it as a string. It's too much work to compare with a string.

Quote:
In the example you give, your trying to treat char's as integer, this is the problem.

It's not my problem, it's the problem of open source programmers. But the fact is, this RIFF and AIFF for that matter is derivative of IFF. And on IFF the IDs were assembled as long words in the compiler. However, they were correctly assembled from separate char elements into one long word. So, would in theory, be portable.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle