Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 118 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  19 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  25 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  29 mins ago
 kolla:  41 mins ago
 Gunnar:  44 mins ago
 Comi:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Are Amigans patient or impatient?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Poll : Are Amiga users...
the most patient people in the computing world?
the least patient people in the computing world?
pancake eaters?

PosterThread
cha05e90 
Re: Are Amigans patient or impatient?
Posted on 16-Mar-2017 15:12:57
#21 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:
cheap addon

Actually, it *is* a cheap add-on. No harm done.

Profile     Report this post  
Signal 
Posted on 16-Mar-2017 16:41:58
#22 ]
Cult Member

@Daedalus

Quote:

Daedalus wrote:
@Signal

Hmmm... While it would be nicer to have something like a tri-pad pattern on such a board, I've seen other prototyping boards that have been a similar design - traces running all the way up them.

@lylehaze
Quote:

I've given it some thought, and perhaps the best solution would be strips three or four holes long, then a break, then another group, to resemble a proto-board pattern.

Indeed, that would be my preference too.

For a 20 pin chip the minimum would be 11 'cuts'. Then if you are going to use some other chip above that, due to limited real estate, it becomes more complicated, and as Lyle said isolators should be used to protect Xmos and the motherboard,,, more 'cuts'.

This is discussion. If A-eon, or whoever owns the design file for the present board, were to release it for review and modification then we would be able to come up with something, not perfect, but at least more usable.

I don't know, but I imagine the X5000 has a different pin-out for the HAZE(xorro) slot and now would be the time to get a consensus on a protoboard design. If A-eon is against people dinking around with this then they should just say so and make discussion about it moot.

NUTS, gotta go. I'll be back.

saimon69 
Posted on 16-Mar-2017 18:20:46
#23 ]

Where is the "We Amigans are infinitely patient, but if you fool us or let us down we are going to tear you a new one" option?

Last edited by saimon69 on 16-Mar-2017 at 06:21 PM.

OneTimer1 
Posted on 16-Mar-2017 19:01:56
#24 ]
Cult Member

@cha05e90

Quote:

Actually, it *is* a cheap add-on. No harm done.

The chip and the slot may cost less than 10$ but wasting resources in development for it might have raised the damage to 100$ per board.

BigD 
Posted on 16-Mar-2017 19:03:54
#25 ]
Elite Member

@saimon69

Quote:
but if you fool us or let us down we are going to tear you a new one

Yeah, that's true too as we've had a fair share of the deluded and down right dishonest scam artists trying to steal our money. Some examples ...

Alive Mediasoft (deluded mail order and wannabe games publisher!!!) - and they stole my money for my OS3.9 order when they went under!

Amiga Inc - Why did/do they exist other than to sell weird Christmas Card makers or scam sports stadiums for free advertising?

Troika - Say what Mick Tinker wannabe? The hardware is a month away but your prototype doesn't boot!!!!! Amy 05 over a decade late and not coming any time soon?!!!

ACK Software Controls, Inc's Adam Kowalczyk - Trust him do we? Sells out to the highest bidder including Amiga Inc and delivers nothing interesting. PowerVixen board anyone?

I've left out the well meaning 'serious' guys that let us down because they tried and could have made a success of it (and in the case of Eyetech's sales & support operation & Phase 5's and DCE's accelerators they did for a while). Here's to you Mick Tinker, Eyetech, Phase 5 & DCE.

Last edited by BigD on 16-Mar-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 16-Mar-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 16-Mar-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 16-Mar-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Signal 
Posted on 16-Mar-2017 19:28:03
#26 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
to be really usable you would need both up-to-date drivers and development software,

I can (and have) live with the IDE not working under AOS. Lyle had an idea for an online IDE that would solve that problem. The only drivers required are communication channels to/from Xmos. Everything else is in the xmos chip.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 17-Mar-2017 1:03:06
#27 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Weird list to be honest.
Alive Mediasoft were around for quite a while and did deliver. Its unfortunate that you didn't receive some software when they closed, but they were a genuine company.
Troika and ACK never took anyone's money and no-one took them seriously anyway. If it wasn't for Amiga Inc there would be no OS4. Granted they did sod all else besides contract out its development, but they were essentially scammed out of their biggest asset after paying millions for it. No-one will ever know what might have been had that not been the case. Not suggesting I'm a fan, but it seems to me Hyperions actions were pretty shady too. Saw an opportunity to get ahold of OS4 cheaply and went for it regardless of the dishonest path it required.
Also strange that you should praise phase5 while scalding Alive Mediasoft. Phase5 took a lot more of more peoples money when they closed down.

BigD 
Posted on 17-Mar-2017 1:38:23
#28 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:
Also strange that you should praise phase5 while scalding Alive Mediasoft. Phase5 took a lot more of more peoples money when they closed down.

You knew where you were with Phase5; they made accelerators. Alive Mediasoft went into game publishing when they didn't have the capital to weather a few bad punts when the games didn't sell. Phoenix Fighters was good but heck they promised Putty Squad and kept people hoping when there was no deal! See link below:

English Amiga Board: Alive Mediasoft & Putty Squad

I spoke to them over the phone to their mail order shop the week before they went under and they clearly didn't want to ship me OS3.9 but didn't come clean about not being able to fulfill the order! They tried to give me some of their warehouse games instead. In retrospect they obviously were going down the pan and wanted to fob me off!!!

Don't get me started on Amiga Inc! Seriously! They made/make Escom seem a well structured and professional company!!! AmigaOS would have been dead and buried by now if they had ever got their hands on it! They did a deal with Blackberry (no business sense on that alone) to ship abandonware Amiga games that THEY didn't own so why should we feel sorry that their IP got taken from them?

Last edited by BigD on 17-Mar-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 17-Mar-2017 at 01:39 AM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 17-Mar-2017 5:49:51
#29 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Not really. Its only because of Amiga Inc that AmigaOS is in development still. They outlayed the cash and outsourced the development. Like them or not, those are the facts.
The fact that Hyperion were shady in their acquisition means we'll never know what may have happened if Amiga Inc had kept sole possession. One can assume or hypothesize all they like, but no-one can know.

Not sure how you see the fact that phase5 ripped of many people for thousands of dollars excusable just because people knew what they sold. A con is a con regardless.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 17-Mar-2017 at 05:51 AM.

BSzili 
Posted on 17-Mar-2017 8:24:16
#30 ]

@PhantomInterrogative

It depends. Most patient when it comes to companies, most impatient when it comes to heretics

fishy_fis 
Posted on 17-Mar-2017 8:58:29
#31 ]
Elite Member

@BSzili

Some people see some of the companies as heretics though too, which is a decent segue to the question patients, or inpatients? :)

Last edited by fishy_fis on 17-Mar-2017 at 08:59 AM.

BSzili 
Posted on 17-Mar-2017 10:09:11
#32 ]

@fishy_fis

In general I meant that companies involved with OS4 enjoy unconditional trust, while the heretics are harshly punished. You can witness it ITT too.

BigD 
Posted on 17-Mar-2017 12:20:34
#33 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:
Not really. Its only because of Amiga Inc that AmigaOS is in development still. They outlayed the cash and outsourced the development. Like them or not, those are the facts.

They didn't have the skills, knowledge of the Amiga system or even access to the source code to do it themselves. All they had was a big fat cat backer called Pentti Kouri and when he passed away so did that shell of a company in all but name! Their hand was forced with AmigaOS (due to community interest and Eyetech's machines) and in all eventuality they're more comfortable rebadging old software, naming events centers and pretending they're part of some sort of legacy with an awful website!!!

As I said, they make Escom seem like Dell. Escom made hardware and shipped the OS through their subsidory Amiga Technologies. So what? They had no marketing, inparted no Amiga knowledge to their shops or supply chain and got nowhere other than re-release old C= tech (with lack of hard drives in the UK). However, that was far more than Amiga Inc ever achieved. It is very easy to splash investors cash around but I'm not surprised Amiga Inc have nothing to show for it! Christmas Card Maker anyone?

Last edited by BigD on 17-Mar-2017 at 12:23 PM.

outrun1978 
Posted on 17-Mar-2017 14:56:55
#34 ]
Cult Member

@thread

I'd say Amigans are very patient, certainly those living in the UK and awaiting a certain un-named retailer to open their sales for a certain new machine which others around the World have been able to purchase for a good few months now...... 🙄

Oh and my birthday was last week so i am guessing this will be my Christmas present for 2017

Last edited by outrun1978 on 17-Mar-2017 at 02:57 PM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 18-Mar-2017 7:30:52
#35 ]
Elite Member

@outrun1978

Happy belated birthday. :)

What date by the way? Mine was the 11th.

outrun1978 
Posted on 18-Mar-2017 11:32:45
#36 ]
Cult Member

@fishy_fis

same on the 11th

fishy_fis 
Posted on 18-Mar-2017 14:09:05
#37 ]
Elite Member

@outrun1978

So if your nickname/handle is any indication I'm more or less exactly 2 years older than you? (I'm '76).
I've actually met a few people recently born on March 11. One guy even same year. :)

Rob 
Posted on 18-Mar-2017 14:13:55
#38 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:
Not really. Its only because of Amiga Inc that AmigaOS is in development still. They outlayed the cash and outsourced the development. Like them or not, those are the facts. The fact that Hyperion were shady in their acquisition means we'll never know what may have happened if Amiga Inc had kept sole possession. One can assume or hypothesize all they like, but no-one can know.

I suggest you read Bolton Peck's perspective and re-evaluate what you wrote above.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=313424&postcount=4

tygre 
Posted on 18-Mar-2017 16:11:28
#39 ]

@thread

Yes, I think that our community is quite patient and I actually like Amiga to advance at a slower pace. In today's craziness, I like to have the time to enjoy my hobby with the certainty that it will still be there tomorrow but also that there will be new progress, new advances coming in.

I feel like I have the best of two worlds: new advances, like modern hardware and software, at a comfortable pace to enjoy the news, novelties without "running behind the train" all the time.

Cheers!

BigD 
Posted on 18-Mar-2017 23:01:51
#40 ]
Elite Member

@tygre

True! I really hate Microsoft pushing the latest version of Skype on the Mac all the time! It gets worse progressively and tells me my friends are not very active every time I log on! I don't use FaceBook and I shouldn't have to put up with Skype telling me I have no FaceBook friends EVERY TIME I USE IT!!!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle