Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
32 crawler(s) on-line.
 132 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  1 min ago
 Rob:  7 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  23 mins ago
 t0lkien:  28 mins ago
 amigakit:  49 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 Troels:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 47 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  it8212ide.device.kmod
Register To Post

PosterThread
thinkchip 
it8212ide.device.kmod
Posted on 22-Mar-2017 17:26:57
#1 ]

I have a AmigaOne 500 / SAM 460. I've had some boot problems. I think it started after I installed a Warp3D 3D game. I can't think of the name. Sorry I'm so vague. During boot it would get to the kickstart load screen and halfway through there would be several lines of text and then it would reboot. This would happen over and over. A similar thing happened when I had problems with the Radeon driver, and that's what I assumed it was. The text goes by so fast it's hard to see. Recently I decided to fix the problem by reinstalling. I know that's pretty drastic. I formatted my main partition and reinstalled OS 4.1 Final Edition. Then I installed OS 4.1 FE Update 1. Everything was working fine. Then I downloaded and installed the Enhancer package version 1.2. The boot problem started again. I copied RadeonHD.chip and RadeonHD.chip.debug from the OS 4.1 FE CD. This should have fixed any Radeon problems (at least allowing it to boot), but it didn't. Then I finally discovered it actually crashes when loading the "it8212ide.device.kmod" module. I commented it out of kicklayout and it isn't loading the driver and it's booting okay now. What does this do? Is it something I need? Is this something I was supposed to know about?

I'm just glad it isn't a Radeon driver problem.

Another detail. I'm not using the sii3512(?) SATA card that came with the computer. I'm using the onboard SATA contoller (which only allows one drive). I actually use a copy of the OS4.1 FE CD I made on an SD card since I can't attach a CD / DVD drive. This might be important.

Last edited by thinkchip on 22-Mar-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Severin 
Re: it8212ide.device.kmod
Posted on 22-Mar-2017 19:36:31
#2 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

IIRC the it8212ide.device is a low end ide controller card so you can safely comment it out of kicklayout.

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

tonyw 
Posted on 22-Mar-2017 22:07:27
#3 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

On a Sam 460/AmigaOne 500, you won't be using most of the supported SATA and IDE controllers, so you could save a few milliseconds of load/test for device/exit time by commenting out, for instance:
sii3112.device.kmod
sii3512.device.kmod
sii3114ide.device.kmod
sii0680ide.device.kmod
lsi53c8xx.device.kmod
it8212ide.device.kmod

You can also move all the drivers in Devs/AHI/ into a drawer where they won't be loaded. Same for the AudioTypes in Devs/AudioTypes/. It's not going to make your boot much faster, but it might make you feel better.

On the other hand, if you are getting a crash in a Kickstart device driver that has been around for years, then there is surely something else wrong. At first you might blame the Enhancer package since it didn't fail before you installed that, but it might just be that with the extra "stuff" loaded in there, components are now loaded into different memory addresses, which can cause a problem.

Unless your Sam is brand new, I would suggest that you carefully remove the SODIMM and clean its contacts (without touching them). I would also get a small brush and clean the connector on the board, just to get dust out of it.

It's something I have to do on my Sam 460 every six months or so, when it starts crashing during or soon after boot.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

thinkchip 
Posted on 22-Mar-2017 22:22:53
#4 ]

@tonyw

I was wondering if it was something to do with the sfx/2 file system that comes with Enhancer. I will clean the RAM module, but it seems to be too consistent to be hardware. Anybody else have boot problems? I'm probably the only one using the onboard SATA controller. I switched over because I thought I might need to get a double-width graphics card. The PCI slot is empty, so I could use it if I need to. On the subject of the SAM 460's SD slot, I wish it were somewhere where you could have access to it without opening up the case. Like the back. The place where it is is hard to get to. You can't have everything. Uboot thinks it's a USB HD and it will boot from it. I haven't been able to get it to boot from any other USB device.

Last edited by thinkchip on 22-Mar-2017 at 10:30 PM.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle