Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 133 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  5 mins ago
 retrofaza:  6 mins ago
 A1200:  17 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  27 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 zErec:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 edwardsjethro:  2 hrs 48 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  Attention CS/Blizzard PPC users! NetSurf!
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Poll : Would you contribute $25.00 USD to PPC accelerate some parts of NetSurf 3.6 68K?
Yes for sure! I'm in!
No it should stay pure 68k
No Silly idea!

PosterThread
HammerD 
Attention CS/Blizzard PPC users! NetSurf!
Posted on 29-Mar-2017 2:56:22
#1 ]
Cult Member

I know you are out there :) OK.

I am using NetSurf 3.6 ported by Artur Jarosik on OS 3.9 BB2.

I have a CS PPC 060/66Mhz in my A4000 and Netsurf runs...well, still pretty slow.

Now I have this PPC cpu sitting there totally idle while Netsurf sucks the life out of my 060 mostly at 100%.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in contributing to a bounty to have Artur accelerate some parts of NetSurf 68K to PPC (either with WarpOS or PowerUP)? Maybe page rendering or something...

I haven't talked to him at all so he may totally refuse...but if we say had 100 CS PPC / Blizzard PPC users donate $25.00 each maybe he would be interested....just a thought.

Netsurf 3.6 is pretty good if you haven't checked it out you should.

What do you think?

Last edited by HammerD on 29-Mar-2017 at 02:57 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Re: Attention CS/Blizzard PPC users! NetSurf!
Posted on 29-Mar-2017 3:12:20
#2 ]
Elite Member

@HammerD

you would have to find someone who can compile warpos binaries or code ppc asm inlines. all in all it does not pay to bother. especially that ppc users are very few. it rather might pay to alternatively accelerate it with apollo core ammx instructions instead if it has not happened already.

this from a csppc owner. my 604 simply sits there idle for years, i have almost forgotten it.

utri007 
Posted on 29-Mar-2017 4:46:55
#3 ]

@HammerD

You should try this http://cy2.uk/netsurfos3

It is twice as fast with real Amigas. It doesn't use cpu when idle. Uses about 12mb less memory. etc.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 29-Mar-2017 7:33:10
#4 ]
Elite Member

@HammerD

This is a waste of time/money. If you really want to help, we need developers who can work on core parts of NetSurf to improve the browser for all platforms, not just some obscure fork.

If you want to run NetSurf on PPC, buy OS4 and use the official port.

HammerD 
Posted on 29-Mar-2017 13:08:38
#5 ]
Cult Member

@Chris_Y

I have OS4 and an X1000 but it doesn't stop me from using my Classic Amigas.

HammerD 
Posted on 29-Mar-2017 13:09:23
#6 ]
Cult Member

@utri007

Thanks I will try that out!

HammerD 
Posted on 29-Mar-2017 13:10:24
#7 ]
Cult Member

@Chris_Y

By the way, wouldn't it be possible to use a cross compiling tool like vbcc by Frank Wille ?

http://sun.hasenbraten.de/vbcc/

Chris_Y 
Posted on 29-Mar-2017 14:09:53
#8 ]
Elite Member

@HammerD

It's already cross-compiled using GCC. However adding WarpOS needs a new toolchain, and it's not worth the effort.

HammerD 
Posted on 29-Mar-2017 14:39:08
#9 ]
Cult Member

@Chris_Y

Well I don't know what the effort involved is in setting up a toolchain, but the reason for this idea was to create a bounty to "make" it worth someones time and effort to do it by paying them cash.

Last edited by HammerD on 29-Mar-2017 at 02:39 PM.

Goodtar 
Posted on 29-Mar-2017 20:51:10
#10 ]

@HammerD
I would kick in some cash for this as well for a WarpOS version.

wawa 
Posted on 29-Mar-2017 21:06:57
#11 ]
Elite Member

@HammerD

Quote:
Well I don't know what the effort involved is in setting up a toolchain, but the reason for this idea was to create a bounty to "make" it worth someones time and effort to do it by paying them cash.

you wont come any close to a monetary reward for doing so. so, since you dont desperately need, what you ask for, because you could easily distract yourself with your x1k or other, my advise would be to patiently wait, till someone comes across the same idea on their own motivation, putting their own hard work, where you simply come with an idea for a bounty that suits your fancy.

wawa 
Posted on 29-Mar-2017 21:16:02
#12 ]
Elite Member

@HammerD

Quote:
By the way, wouldn't it be possible to use a cross compiling tool like vbcc by Frank Wille ?

unfortunatelly, too incompatible against gnu toolchain everybody usees. featurewise it improves but on the other hand it seems that it loses any advantage it had on amiga platforms.

for amiga aros (68k) has gcc6.x since a while and now a native toolchain is coming up:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=85474
https://github.com/bebbo
in this respect, whoever might come with an warpos- kind of toolchain solution is people behind implementation on sonnet boards:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=76633&page=21
but i wouldnt bet on it a lot.

warpos and ppc sidekicks are burried dead, where they belong. sorry to say.

HammerD 
Posted on 29-Mar-2017 21:39:46
#13 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Wawa, I must say I take offence to your insinuation that I am sitting around doing nothing just coming up with ideas. Obviously you do not know me. True, I am not a programmer, but I have been actively involved in the Amiga scene since the 1990s. I've worked as a beta tester for Hyperion since 2003. I dare say OS 4.1 Classic and FE would not exist if not for me and *VERY* small few of other testers who spent thousands of dollars on hardware and hundreds and hundreds of hours testing everything and encouraging Hyperion and the developers to continue with the project. Extra zorro 3 memory in OS4.1 FE Update 1 Classic? Would not exist if it wasn't for me pushing it and testing it. That fancy X1000 user guide you got ? I wrote it. All volunteering my hundreds of hours of time to do it. Because I enjoy the platform. For me that platform still includes classics. Classic market is still very heavy if you look at all the activity on all of the worldwide sites.

Anyway, Yes this is an idea from me. Ideas are what drive innovation and motivate people to do things. You may think it's a stupid idea, that is fine, but you are off base if you think I am just sitting around thinking up fancy ideas to suit only me and doing nothing about it.

wawa 
Posted on 29-Mar-2017 22:10:41
#14 ]
Elite Member

@HammerD

Quote:
I must say I take offence to your insinuation that I am sitting around doing nothing

i did not say you are doing nothing, but in this case you have not done your homework, otherwise you would know that you cannot leverage a huge project like netsurf with a completely ortodox toolchain, like vbcc.

i have built netsurf a few times, with extensive help from chris among others to set it up. and while i have half a way aros port (sdl frontend) it isnt a very simple case to put it all together (the packages necessary, perl script semantics come to mind among others). much easier is to build aros, which is few magnitudes bigger, but then if vbcc has once been considered it never came to that, for no advantage, it offers apparently. so i offer my, not very educated opinion, but based on a practice of an rather average amiga user who wants to contribute. the skilled coders are all busy somewhere else.

Quote:
I've worked as a beta tester for Hyperion since 2003. I dare say OS 4.1 Classic and FE would not exist

very well. i honour your dedication if not the interest on os4, which i have long lost. i have done my share on aros 68k as well, mostly testing but then im at least trying to contribute now and then to various efforts.

Quote:
That fancy X1000 user guide you got ?

ok. i aint got it, since as i say im not particularly interested, which doesnt mean, that i dont understand the level of your dedication and effort you have invested in it. however it is your choice, and if you feel it is lost, i dont think im the one to blame.

Quote:
Classic market is still very heavy if you look at all the activity on all of the worldwide sites.

its not "classic". its amiga. and i dont understand why talking about is as a "market". it is as when people talking about art, are actually talking about "art market" with all this money for nothing, instead of actual art works.

there are a number of initiatives on amiga, most of which dont have anything to do with the market or demand, its simply people doing stuff usually for no worthwhile money in return. such as what you apparently did..

one way or other, i feel it is extremely unlikely that anyone has still a warpos backend set up and time and skill enough to try to compile and apply necessary fixes. setting polls isnt helping it, people will vote as long as not with their wallet. costs nothing to pick an option. you will likely end up with 200 votes. and then?

Last edited by wawa on 29-Mar-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 29-Mar-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 29-Mar-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 29-Mar-2017 at 10:13 PM.

HammerD 
Posted on 30-Mar-2017 1:22:20
#15 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:

one way or other, i feel it is extremely unlikely that anyone has still a warpos backend set up and time and skill enough to try to compile and apply necessary fixes. setting polls isnt helping it, people will vote as long as not with their wallet. costs nothing to pick an option. you will likely end up with 200 votes. and then?

I was not advocating an entire port, just to "accelerate some parts of NetSurf ". Maybe it's not that easily done. Maybe the netsurf code is big and bloated and monolithic and you can't part functions or modules. Maybe a high enough bounty would perk some skilled coder's interest. Maybe not. For me, at least, it's worth trying. Just as you work on Aros, MorphOS, or BeOS (or whatever , for which anyone could make points to argue any of those efforts is a waste of time or impossible), I am interested in this.

If 200 votes are gathered (which would be great!) we could setup a bounty for it on one of the sites, set up a kickstarter or indigogo...there are lots of ways to move forward.

wawa 
Posted on 30-Mar-2017 11:01:40
#16 ]
Elite Member

@HammerD

fine, but even if i was interested i wouldnt contribute to a bounty before someone is found, who is gonna to pick it up. otherwise setting up bounties in many cases simply leads to money being practically lost on useless accounts.

pavlor 
Posted on 30-Mar-2017 14:35:33
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Goodtar

Welcome!

pavlor 
Posted on 30-Mar-2017 14:38:09
#18 ]
Elite Member

@HammerD

Note wawa is hardline AROS68k supporter, everything PowerPC related is a horrible blasphemy in his point of view.

outrun1978 
Posted on 30-Mar-2017 17:17:08
#19 ]
Cult Member

@thread

i think a really useful feature in Netsurf regardless of which system it runs on would be the ability to print webpages

Chris_Y 
Posted on 30-Mar-2017 18:10:49
#20 ]
Elite Member

@HammerD

Quote:
I was not advocating an entire port, just to "accelerate some parts of NetSurf ". Maybe it's not that easily done. Maybe the netsurf code is big and bloated and monolithic and you can't part functions or modules. 

It's nicely structured. However, if you've gone to the effort of setting up a WarpOS compiler it will be far easier to build the whole lot for WarpOS. I don't see the point of doing anything else tbh.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle