Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

clint

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 clint:  3 mins ago
 OlafS25:  12 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 Tpod:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 Birbo:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 44 mins ago
 MarcioD:  4 hrs 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  What sets SYS:?
Register To Post

PosterThread
ggw 
What sets SYS:?
Posted on 30-Mar-2017 4:35:05
#1 ]

Where does SYS: get its setting value?

"The" hard disk started dying a while back (dead now), but I had another one so I made volumes with same names but added "10" (work11->work15). It worked. I reinstalled OS4.1 from CD with the system on OS4.1FE.

Had no backup disk (anymore... it had become "The" hard disk). So I still needed another disk. I bought an SSD .. and for that I used the original names: (work1 -> work5). It *is* faster. So I copied OS4.1FE to OS4.1FE_ssd. OS4.1FE became my backup disk and (I thought) OS4.1FE_ssd the system disk. Remember that the old disk was dying and a number of my backups to the Work11 -> Work15 copied directories over, but not always their contents. I found (do find) them empty. I wanted the ssd to be *the* system, so I worked at getting all ok there, with the goal of Work11 -> Work15 to be the online backup. Things got messy and they are imperfect copies of each other.

Months later, now I stored some files on OS4.1FE_ssd and the next day went to SYS: and the files were not there.

ASSIGN informed me OS4.1FE was SYS, ***not*** OS4.1FE_ssd. No wonder I have now & then encountered odd things, but *lots* of old scripts and configurations had gotten changed to citiing Work11 ->Work15, so I just fixed them when they reared their snake like heads.

So, I need to fix this SYS: business. Where do I do that?

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

Profile     Report this post  
monstercoder 
Re: What sets SYS:?
Posted on 30-Mar-2017 6:47:48
#2 ]

@ggw

I would guess SYS: is where you boot from so it sounds like you accidently have booted from your old harddisk.

My knowledge about amiga is a little bit rusty but i'm slowly getting to know her again and i do remember that sys: was always the bootpartition but there's probably ways to override that behaviour too.

tonyw 
Posted on 30-Mar-2017 12:16:13
#3 ]
Elite Member

@ggw

SYS: is set by DOS (just like all the other assigns), and it's set to the volume from which the system is booted.

That is not necessarily the volume from which you loaded Kickstart - it could be another volume. Once you have loaded Kickstart and launched it, the Loader will boot the partition with the highest boot priority and the "Bootable" flag. You can force the Loader to boot from the same partition that provided the Kickstart files by adding the NV-RAM variable "os4_bootdevice=auto". If that variable is missing from the U-Boot vars, you will always get the system partition with the highest boot priority.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

pavlor 
Posted on 30-Mar-2017 15:33:23
#4 ]
Elite Member

@monstercoder

Welcome!

Hypex 
Posted on 30-Mar-2017 15:51:25
#5 ]
Elite Member

@ggw

Related to where the Workbench is, I've found that if you plug in a USB drive, which shares the same label as your Workbench, then Workbench programs will think the USB drive has Workbench files.

ggw 
Posted on 31-Mar-2017 3:47:11
#6 ]

@monstercoder

Thank you for joining AmigaWorld.net and posting a reply.

The boot order in the face of "equal" opportunities must devolve to the default hardware search order, since when I checked with Media Tool Kit, neither hard disk is marked as bootable and neither has a priority set.

Those are not the sort of thing I check about once I had the system reconstructed and running. The disks were MEANT to be the same and so they were.

I did make a bootable CD, but that was waaaaaay long time ago and I made plenty of changes.

I have kicked myself repeatedly for not having a made a backup of S:. It is beyond me how I allowed that. Floppies backed up. ZIP disk backed up. Work1, 2, 3, 4, 5 all backed up. CDs for years holding archives never, ever being "needed".

I really comes down to making backups but NEVER forcing myself to "try it out!" Does it actually work?

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

klx300r 
Posted on 31-Mar-2017 4:04:05
#7 ]
Elite Member

@monstercoder

welcome back

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle