Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 161 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  3 mins ago
 Hypex:  25 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  42 mins ago
 saimo:  52 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 59 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Xena/Xorro software?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Raffaele 
Xena/Xorro software?
Posted on 5-Apr-2017 10:24:02
#1 ]

Is out there someone who experimented programming Xena chip for fun and uploaded his software on Aminet?

Profile     Report this post  
Raffaele 
Re: Xena/Xorro software?
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 11:26:50
#2 ]

@Thread

Since none commented in this thread, it seems that Xena/Zorro developing was completely neglected. What a pity Amiga developers lost their spirit for hobby experimenting.

Last edited by Raffaele on 11-Apr-2017 at 02:13 AM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 10-Apr-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 10-Apr-2017 at 11:28 AM.

BSzili 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 11:38:56
#3 ]

@Raffaele

That's the only logical explanation

michalsc 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 11:43:16
#4 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Raffaele

Quote:
Amiga developers lost their spirit for hobby experimenting.

Hobby experimenting can be done much cheaper (especially in case of unpredicted mistake/failure where you physically kill your hardware) with e.g. Arduino, RaspberryPi or any other credit card sized computer or microcontroller.

alpyre 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 12:13:41
#5 ]

@michalsc

Quote:
Hobby experimenting can be done much cheaper (especially in case of unpredicted mistake/failure where you physically kill your hardware) with e.g. Arduino, RaspberryPi or any other credit card sized computer or microcontroller.

This kinda implies that the Xena chip is killable.

wawa 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 12:26:20
#6 ]
Elite Member

@alpyre

Quote:

isnt all electronics killable? and the more costly and irreplacable the hardware, the higher the risk. not fiddling with it too much is actually reasonable thing to do. so there is as expected no developments nothing to see here and no necessity to post another thread of a known void subject.

Last edited by wawa on 10-Apr-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Signal 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 13:40:36
#7 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@alpyre

Quote:

isnt all electronics killable? and the more costly and irreplacable the hardware, the higher the risk. not fiddling with it too much is actually reasonable thing to do. so there is as expected no developments nothing to see here and no necessity to post another thread of a known void subject.

The subject is void only due to lack of cooperation from A-eon and Amigakit.

They have yet to offer a USABLE prototyping board for the slot. Asking, begging, pleading and praying are all as useless as the board they offer. (And the main reason I will not buy an X5000.)

Don't blame the hobbyists. After all, it is better to use A-eons' boards as a doorstop then to actually play with them. We having FUN yet?

Signal 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 13:48:15
#8 ]
Cult Member

@Raffaele

Check your PM.

wawa 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 14:43:32
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Signal
Quote:
The subject is void only due to lack of cooperation from A-eon and Amigakit.

it s been void since first announced.

Quote:
They have yet to offer a USABLE prototyping board for the slot. Asking, begging, pleading and praying are all as useless as the board they offer. (And the main reason I will not buy an X5000.)

sounds like a rather lame execuse. why arent people who want hack arond the hardware able to design a simple prototyping board that fits in a standard slot. let alone a board that would exactly fit their project?

Quote:
Don't blame the hobbyists. After all, it is better to use A-eons' boards as a doorstop then to actually play with them. We having FUN yet?

not sure what you mean. no hardware hobbyists, who apparently have other interests (look at all the lively amiga expansion projects) are to blame. whoever thinks, something went wrong with it, can only blame themselves. it simply doesnt make sense to discuss it any more, as it doesnt help anything.

Signal 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 17:07:51
#10 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Signal

sounds like a rather lame execuse. why arent people who want hack arond the hardware able to design a simple prototyping board that fits in a standard slot. let alone a board that would exactly fit their project?

How about this lame excuse.

If 3-5 people, around the planet, wish to collaborate on some projects would it be better to have the same board, or should everyone have different basic parts?

Maybe one person should have boards made and then ship them to whoever wants one and only accept Donations to avoid taxes?

eliyahu 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 18:34:42
#11 ]

@Signal

Quote:

forgive me if you've answered this elsewhere, but what is wrong with the xorro project board currently available?

-- eliyahu

wawa 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 18:50:17
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

Quote:
If 3-5 people, around the planet, wish to collaborate on some projects

good question, while there even may be a single person who pulled some kind of simple project, you are already taking teamwork into account. very foresightful.

Last edited by wawa on 10-Apr-2017 at 06:50 PM.

Signal 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 19:50:48
#13 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
@Signal
forgive me if you've answered this elsewhere, but what is wrong with the xorro project board currently available?

-- eliyahu

I have answered many times in several threads and have not even got a 'go to hell' responce.

Since you ask, the available board is generally refered to as a strip board. All the holes are connected vertically. To put a multi pin chip on there would require cutting a few to many of the connecting traces. To make matters worse the traces are under a coating.

There is a picture in THIS thread on page one.

Short memory?

Last edited by Signal on 10-Apr-2017 at 07:55 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 21:43:22
#14 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

Quote:

ok. im sorry. its rediculous, but maybe its just the result of incapability in a given area. it should never been sold (as what its supposed to be), but who of a capable people would ever havebought one like that?

im still standing by my statement, that it is all in all a very bad idea..

BoingBear 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 22:17:37
#15 ]

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Signal

Quote:

ok. im sorry. its rediculous, but maybe its just the result of incapability in a given area. it should never been sold (as what its supposed to be), but who of a capable people would ever havebought one like that?

im still standing by my statement, that it is all in all a very bad idea..

I see it more as badly implemented, and not fully supported by the manufacturer, more than a terrible idea from the very beginning. The first and biggest mistake A-Eon made was not asking how much work it was going to take to port the X-Mos tool chain to AmigaOS4, or finding a developer who would commit to porting those tools, before they agreed to add the X-Mos chip to the motherboard. I am surprised that there hasn't been more outcry from the X1000 (and now X5000) owners, to get the X-Mos tools ported to AmigaOS4. Without the X-Mos tools, it is much more difficult (and probably impossible for the average tinkerer), to make anything that uses the X-Mos/Xena chip and Xorro slot.

I think it is a bit surprising that A-Eon has never even mentioned trying to port the X-Mos tools, since they are so active in many other porting projects. Seems to me that they would want to support their own hardware as a top priority, specially when they continue to add Xena/Xorro to the X5000.

wawa 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 22:41:05
#16 ]
Elite Member

@BoingBear
i have been trying to be kind. of course its been questionable feat from the very beginning, but since its been implemented already, the discussion about the neccesity of it was void to that point. you simply could yourself decide, if you are ready to pay the extra cost. issuing another model with the same flaw, is another matter, will though probably be met with the same "okay, it happened" attitude.

Last edited by wawa on 10-Apr-2017 at 10:41 PM.

eliyahu 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 22:41:23
#17 ]

@Signal

Quote:
Since you ask, the available board is generally refered to as a strip board. All the holes are connected vertically. To put a multi pin chip on there would require cutting a few to many of the connecting traces. To make matters worse the traces are under a coating.

Short memory?

yes, my memory is terrible, but i think i genuinely missed your reply in the other thread. you're correct: that's a pain. i wish i had known that before i bought one, actually.

-- eliyahu

Deniil715 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 23:15:33
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

I want(ed?) to make a rev.2 of my IR reciever and audio transmitter project for Xena, but I don't have time for such projects now, especially not with a steep startup curve in learning Xena and connecting anything to it.

On the other hand doing it for USB instead of Xena would be an equal amount of work. Way less cool, but usable for more people.

Biggest problem with developing for Xena, I think, is that it is designed to do things of an embedded computer. Not a desktop tower machine. And most of us probably got too old (and therefore don't have time) to do time consuming experimenation just for fun.

Signal 
Posted on 11-Apr-2017 0:58:13
#19 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

I like tinkering with hardware and what code is necessary to make it work. Thats my kind of thing.

3D, games, paint programs, just don't get-it for me and I imagine others.

Yes, XC (Xmos programming Language) should have been required, but even so I was getting a good handle on it on an old X86. That just all stopped when I purchased the Xorro slot board, some electronics, and then seen how the board was made. I don't know, but believe the Xmos tools are still closed source and unavailable.

Learning XC is more about style since it is very close to C. It's not all that big and the libs are very well documented.

OUCH! You bought one. Mine is a rev 1.0. What is yours?

I asked how rev1.1 was made but never got an answer.

Back to chewing on Raspberry Pi.

Raffaele 
Posted on 11-Apr-2017 2:16:24
#20 ]

@BSzili

Yes,.. There is sort of humor in considerating what's happening providing a good expensive motherboard with too much poor fpga, very few documentation, no integration with the OS and in the end no boards to be fitted into Xorro Slot. It was a good idea but it seems aborted at birth.

Last edited by Raffaele on 11-Apr-2017 at 02:19 AM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle