Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 118 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 cncparts:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 Beajar:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 32 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 35 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 35 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 55 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs 45 mins ago
 Bruce72:  4 hrs 46 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  5 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Down the rabbit hole
Register To Post

PosterThread
scuzz 
Down the rabbit hole
Posted on 18-Apr-2017 22:37:33
#1 ]

Hi

Thought you might like to drop down the rabbit hole and see what I have been up to lately.

http://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/scuzzblog_1702.htm

scuzz
http://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/car_001.htm

Profile     Report this post  
QuBe 
Re: Down the rabbit hole
Posted on 19-Apr-2017 6:44:32
#2 ]

@scuzz

That is an amazing collection scuzz!

Thanks for sharing...

Any thoughts of doing some retrobriting on some of your kit?

Q!

"elbow grease can go along way"

scuzz 
Posted on 19-Apr-2017 9:48:25
#3 ]

@QuBe

What amazes me is that a lot of the kit never goes yellow. Sometimes only one part goes yellow, like say the disk box cover. It matters not where you have them located. Some 4000ds go very yellow and others stay white. Same with the 1200s.

Another thing is I seem to be immune to this capping issue. If I were to count the caps in the house it would exceed the tens of thousands. My beloved A1200 that has been switched on daily since November 1993 works without fault. The reason I test daily a lot of kit is to make sure it works. It really is something I never think about. Same goes for floppy disks. They never fail on me. The trick is not to keep messing with the computers, pluggling them in and out. Leave 'em alone when they are working. And use them ... seriously use them.

You may be surprised at my biggest fear. Moths. Yes moths. If a moths gets in behind the boxes and you leave them and don't move boxes around they will eat the cardboard. I have had one box destroyed that was sitting tight against a wall. I hadn't moved it in years and when I moved the unit there was a five inch hole in the outer cardboard. I spent a month checking through everything and found other moth debris and cleaned and checked every box. Dark warm spots is what they like and trust me they will drill a hole straight through your beloved computer cardboard boxes. Keep them in a cycle of moving and don't leave lights and windows open in the summer in rooms with dark and warm corners. If you store collections that is. Spiders also can destroy boxes. If in a corner and you are unwaware they have moved in they will crap over everything.

Boxes are as valuable as the computers. In some ways more so. I can very often replace kit but not the boxes. Did you know it took me ten year to get the polystyrene cheese that held the modulator for the Amiga 500 to complete a box. It is odd that box after box I purchased had that particular piece of packaging missing. Got so that in the end I asked the seller. They were kinda surprised when I picked the A500 up and told them I only wanted the polystyrene insert. Mad I know.

Anyway.. I have no interest in truth in cleaning up the cases. The process can do damage to badges. I just carefully wipe stuff down and dust as regular as I can. I never really notice the issue as it bothers me not. Boxes as I say are a bigger worry.

PR 
Posted on 19-Apr-2017 10:06:49
#4 ]

Vacuum cleaner with a soft brush, not too much AmigaPower. Dust cover over the keyboards.

If staying in One hobby makes it easier. (Three-four, cars too is a work to maintain)

Cleaning up as too much and one room for it.

Very spacy.

Happy hobbies. Just gave my friend some X-Box games as don't have one.

Helps cleaning.

ne_one 
Posted on 19-Apr-2017 14:38:42
#5 ]
Cult Member

@scuzz

Any luck with moth balls?

I always find the legs are too close together.

ntromans 
Posted on 19-Apr-2017 17:46:22
#6 ]

@scuzz

That is a staggering collection; it's really great that dedicated prople like yourself are keeping these pieces of digital history going, and what's more documenting them for the rest of us to look through. I've recently been having a look around this site as it was linked to by the Recursion Computer Fair web pages - you guys should really compare notes on your collections.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Last edited by ntromans on 19-Apr-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Last edited by ntromans on 19-Apr-2017 at 05:47 PM.

klx300r 
Posted on 19-Apr-2017 18:00:16
#7 ]
Elite Member

scuzz ya crazy dude & thats why we love ya

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

clusteruk 
Posted on 20-Apr-2017 8:52:50
#8 ]

@scuzz

What I love most of all is you have one of my Checkmate 1500's, and the later non Checkmate one, so good to see them, lot of good memories of those days and a few sad one's.

Steve

AmigaOneProductions 
Posted on 20-Apr-2017 8:56:24
#9 ]
Cult Member

@scuzz

So that's why the old technology is becoming so rare and hard to find....

You're hiding it all

PR 
Posted on 20-Apr-2017 9:18:11
#10 ]

No Amigas in the flea markets in a long time.

scuzz 
Posted on 20-Apr-2017 9:34:24
#11 ]

@clusteruk

The Checkmate is without doubt the single most extraordinary Amiga I have ever had the joy of owning. The guy that used the one I generally use pumped the computer up to the full and was using it to run a club from his atic. He had Teletext machines, printers, photocopy machines and another PC all working together. The computer has two external hard drives and two floppies [ 2.5 and 5.25 ] It run 2os on a 500 but really does not run like a 500. You get the external keyboard so works like a 2000 but much much better. For all my computer needs when it comes to mucking about with that era I just switch this computer on The sound of the 590 and other SCSI is classic electro babble for the period and the 5.25 displays an LED number which is wonderful.

I love these computers and yet I was very sceptical when I first bid on the one set up which in the day cost me £49 for a room full of kit.

My other machine was gifted to me from a guy emigrating to Australia. He gave me a double garage full of stuff and this was in its box never used by the look of it. Sadly the floppy button is broken as he had it lating on it front with obviously other boxes on top. Not a great issue. Also one of the feet came off which you can actually see lying on the bench in the picture. Everything gets fixed in the end. Just takes a while.

scuzz

scuzz 
Posted on 20-Apr-2017 9:58:41
#12 ]

@AmigaOneProductions

Funny that as I am often critisized these days for what I have. Funny cus when I was collecting stuff in the nineties and early 2000s I was obtaining kit from Amiga folk that were selling it to get rid of it. Many admitted that if I didn't take it the stuff was going down the tip.

I'll recall a few events here for you.....

I went to pick up an Amiga 1500 and whilst there the guy asked me if I was interested in another computer that he was getting rid of that was probably going down the tip as it was cluttering up his room. In the corner was an Amiga 3000T. I have him £100 for it.

A guy mailed me and asked me if I would take all his kit cus as I commented in a previous post he was leaving for Australia. There was a double garage full of stuff.

The trip for the Checkmate turned out to be an atic clearing job .

I was gifted another atic full of gear from a good friend who wanted his kit in safe hands.

When travelling about I was generally always offered more items and some was a real surprise. I was very interested in Amiga 500s cus you never but never knew what was going to be inside when you cracked them open. Same with the 2000s.

Back in the early days of Ebay I could pick stuff up for a fiver. I would bid on a batch of stuff for a few quid and then marvel at what I won. I also bought from all over the world. Hard to believe that a boxed Amiga 1000 came all the way from Canada with a single sheet of bubble wrap protecting it. I would also send a guy in Germany wired money and he provide a lot of 2000s, 3000s and 4000s in great condition for a very reasonable price.

I picked up a 4000 once that was used to used to prop open a door with a very very damaged motherboard. I simply hot footed onto the Bay and got a motherboard from the US for a few dollars and the computer is still running today. Thing was I could get anything for next to nothing. Things like hard drives, SCSI cases, monitors etc. All readily available and I just competed.

The worst I had to do was retrieve kit, magazines, books, computers from fellow Amigans that just gave up. I kinda pleaded with them not to but they were happier that I was taking it. They mail me very often to say they enjoy seeing their stuff on the website. I never part with anything and it generally is always looked after. I guy in London gave me his 1500 mint in a box and it still is mint in its box. Will be like that till the day I die. I removed the battery.

A guy in Swansea was a reviewer for an Amiga magazine and was gifted software to review for the magazine. He gave me all of his collected software much of which is still in the plastic protection. I generally keep like for like items from a gifter together, like the full set of Amiga Shopper magazines.

It's what I do. I did give a guy once an A2000 keyboard, mouse and software. He rewarded me by advising me he had just made a lot of money off the Bay from selling it all. So I stopped giving away my kit. You would be amazed at how many times I help people with copies of disks and publications and seriously never get a single thank you from the, They are friendly as you like up to the point I send stuff but then never get any thank you what so ever. Doesn't bother me.

So yes I have a lot of things. And I am always in the World of Warcraft frame of mind when folk ask me if I will give them things and I thinks ' No you can't has my stuff '. Something folk say when they post a goodbye of the Warcraft forums. By the way I am a heavy MMO player in Warcraft and Archeage with Level 110s and 55s repectively and play every day. So there you go.

PS I haven't collected seriously since 2008 so I guess you guys are pretty safe getting your gear at the moment. As you can see, I don't have any space.

scuzz

QuBe 
Posted on 21-Apr-2017 2:39:10
#13 ]

@scuzz

Thanks scuzz for your explanation. Amazing really!

I am a little bit of a neat freak, so if I were in your area I would have volunteered my services and helped you go through every thing, clean everything up and re-stack if you had want to do it...

Sadly I am not, so cannot just pop over and experience all the computer goodness :)

Keep on trucking with your Amiga's...

Q!

"Amiga Forever!"

mcbone 
Posted on 21-Apr-2017 7:44:02
#14 ]
Cult Member

@scuzz

That is an amazing collection it wood of be nice if photo click photo to see next photo nice to see so many old computers

An Apple a day keep bill gates away

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle