Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  24 mins ago
 Bruce72:  25 mins ago
 Rob:  57 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 Troels:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 Gunnar:  3 hrs 8 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 37 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  68K Plotting Library/PLPLOT 5.0.1
Register To Post

PosterThread
ferrels 
68K Plotting Library/PLPLOT 5.0.1
Posted on 24-Apr-2017 6:57:18
#1 ]
Cult Member

After a 24 year hiatus I decided to drag my A1200 out of storage and brush up on classic Amiga development. I hope to do more development once I get my hands on the standalone Vampire. I normally develop LIDAR applications for Windows and OSX using XCode and Visual Studio. As a refresher I thought it would be a good exercise to compile PLPLOT 5.0.1 for classic Amigas since it was the last version that supported the classics and the latest version on Aminet is 2.6. I was successful at compiling the library and building all the examples but not without some pain. Finding a "make" utility to process the included make file was troublesome but I finally found the correct one on Fred Fish Disk #69. The GNU make utility on Aminet may also work but I haven't tried it. You also have to link against the reqtools.library which is found on Aminet. The make file also needed some heavy editing but now everything builds fine using SAS C 6.58. I will upload the entire archive once Aminet is back online. Seems to be down at the moment. Below are examples plots using the High Graphics Screen Mode Driver and 256 colors. The library supports other modes as well and screen mode selection is menu driven. I will include all the binaries and PLPLOT link time library in the archive for those who want to use it.

Aminet link to archive: http://aminet.net/gfx/show/plplot68k-5.0.1.lha
Readme link: http://aminet.net/package/gfx/show/plplot68k-5.0.1

To run the examples, extract the archive to your favorite hard disk such as DH1:
Then open a shell and create the following assign without quotes: "assign plplot: DH1:plplot"

Navigate to plplot/tmp and then run any of the examples such as X01c thru X19c.

Here are some plots created by the examples on my A1200 using the High GFX driver:

Last edited by ferrels on 28-Apr-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Last edited by ferrels on 28-Apr-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Last edited by ferrels on 28-Apr-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Last edited by ferrels on 24-Apr-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Last edited by ferrels on 24-Apr-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Last edited by ferrels on 24-Apr-2017 at 07:03 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Overflow 
Re: 68K Plotting Library/PLPLOT 5.0.1
Posted on 24-Apr-2017 8:46:43
#2 ]

@ferrels

Looking forward to run your software on the Vampire.

ferrels 
Posted on 24-Apr-2017 15:22:12
#3 ]
Cult Member

@Overflow

Yeah, running it on a Vampire should be a good experience. Even on my 68030 accelerated A1200 at 50Mhz, some of the plots can be a bit slow to fully render. I'm hoping that I can take the sources and compile them with minimal effort on AROS but I'm waiting for a stable version of AROS 64 SMP before I make the attempt.

wawa 
Posted on 24-Apr-2017 18:50:33
#4 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

why not use the gcc-3.4 from cahir or gcc-6.2 amiga-m68k cross toolchain from bebbo? or aros crosscompiler mit 68k target and convert the binary to hunk afterwards. btw just tested gcc-4.6.4 native on aros68k, but i think it is too slow for huge projects.

ferrels 
Posted on 24-Apr-2017 20:59:39
#5 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

I wanted to see how difficult (or easy) software development on real Amiga hardware was in 2017 using period tool sets.

I've noticed a lot of complaints about code optimization when using GCC for 68K development. I also didn't want to go thru all the pain of obtaining the Amiga/GCC 68K specific include files which I already had with my SAS C compiler. I didn't want to have to read thru a lot of GCC/Amiga specific documentation to get GCC configured properly either. SAS C is pretty much an install-and-go environment. I also have all the docs to SAS which was surprisingly mature for a compiler by the time it was discontinued around 1995. In 1992 when I was last using a real Amiga for development, the speed was quite acceptable but after 24+ years and using the latest Intel offerings for development, it was painfully slow at times but still usable.

I don't think the speed issue is software related for SAS or for GCC. I think it's just a limitation of the hardware. I was almost ready to move my PLPLOT project to WinUAE because real hardware was infuriatingly slow at times. We've been spoiled by fast, modern processors.

If I were to take on a large project that targeted 68K Amigas, I would definitely switch to a cross compiler on a Wintel box just to save my sanity.

wawa 
Posted on 24-Apr-2017 22:00:46
#6 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

i didnt wanted to impose anything on you. the colported opinion about sas/c is thats almost a perfect development package. i commented since you mentioned aros (for crosscompiling?), in which case it would be gcc as of today, either 4.6.4 or 6.3.0. anyway i would probably still take a linux system in this case, but as i said aros is underway to provide a native well working toolchain, so that if you wanted to compile 68k on amiga you could probably do that with the current gcc.

what concerns performance, according to tests done on eab en course of work on gcc6 for amiga, it doesnt stay behind vbcc and not that much behind 2.9.x as its been always told, and it is being improved:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=85474

ferrels 
Posted on 24-Apr-2017 22:41:45
#7 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

I actually want to do some AROS x64 SMP native development once they have the stability and driver situation settled. I eventually want to port my LIDAR mapping software to AROS. My software needs a 64 bit address space because the data sets which are LAS files often exceed 2 GB. I've been playing with the nightly builds and I know that the devs tools are included on the LiveCD but I have yet to try them out. You can see my software here: http://lidarwidgets.com

Right now the only obstacle that might slow me down once I get started porting my applications are their dependencies on LIBLAS. The current version of LIBLAS uses a CMAKE environment and I'm not sure if CMAKE has been ported to AROS or not. If not, it shouldn't be too difficult to port the library because I don't need GDAL or PDAL support.

I got rid of my OS4 system several years ago because I feel it's a dead-end, both the hardware and the OS, and I don't see that situation changing anytime soon. So these days my interest in Amiga software development lies with the Vampire and AROS x64.

The PLPLOT exercise was my way of re-educating myself with Amiga development while at the same time providing a usable plotting library for those who may find PLPLOT 5 useful. I actually enjoyed getting it to build even though the hardware slowed me down at times.

Last edited by ferrels on 24-Apr-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Last edited by ferrels on 24-Apr-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Last edited by ferrels on 24-Apr-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Last edited by ferrels on 24-Apr-2017 at 10:42 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 25-Apr-2017 6:32:56
#8 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

cmake is contributed to aros linux-cross toolchain, but i dont see it native, wouldnt expect it actually. right now git is being included.

ferrels 
Posted on 28-Apr-2017 22:41:45
#9 ]
Cult Member

@thread

Uploaded some of the plots created by the example programs.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle