Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

retrofaza

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 retrofaza:  4 mins ago
 pixie:  10 mins ago
 OlafS25:  23 mins ago
 BigD:  24 mins ago
 zErec:  31 mins ago
 amigakit:  34 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 edwardsjethro:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 joeyunderwood:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 Sikharubel:  2 hrs 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  RPi3< >Amiga FTP
Register To Post

PosterThread
Signal 
RPi3< >Amiga FTP
Posted on 28-Apr-2017 16:33:47
#1 ]
Cult Member

RPi3 < >Amiga FTP

On Amiga go to os4depot http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=browse&cat=network/server/ftp and get ftpd.lha.

Unarc it someplace, and read the ftpd_OS4.readme file.

When properly setup it will auto start the ftp server (daemon) when Amiga activates the network stack at boot.

On the RPi install 'bareFTP' through synaptic.

I'll be back.

Last edited by Signal on 28-Apr-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Signal 
Re: RPi3< >Amiga FTP
Posted on 28-Apr-2017 19:02:09
#2 ]
Cult Member

Setup Amiga ftp server, ftpd.

1. Copy ftpd.conf to Devs:Internet. Note: Devs:Internet may be hidden so either right click the Devs window and select Show> All files, or use something like Dopus to move things around.

2.Go to Prefs > Internet > Servers > New. Follow the ftpd_OS4.readme. The executable is wherever you unarc to, mine is
- Work:Net/Ftpd/ftpd -

3. My ftpdprefs drawer (hidden) is in Work:Net/Ftpd.

4. ftpdprefs. Preferences tab. User def=PROGDIR:serv/FTPUsers, Message file=DEVS:Internet/, Log file= RAM:FTP.log.
- Users tab. User=ftp, Password=*, Path=RAM:, Permission=255.
- Welcome message tab. Anything really. Mine is X1000FTP_Server.
- MOTD tab. nothing.
- Click Save.

A soft reboot should activate the server.

If all went well..... Open Ranger > Network tab > Sockets.
You should see 0.0.0.0:21 Not Configured 0 0 Listening for connection.

Signal 
Posted on 28-Apr-2017 19:57:44
#3 ]
Cult Member

@

Setup bareFTP on RPi3.

First steps;
1. Left click Wi-Fi Icon and turn OFF Wi-Fi. This setup will use the eth0 wired connection.

2.In the Menu > Preferences > RPi Configuration > Interfaces. Make sure only VNC: is enabled.

Startup bareFTP.

1. Edit > Preferences > General tab
- - Remote Charset = iso-8859-1
- - File view = Check Show hidden and Enable dir cache
- - Message font = Monospace 8
- - Check Preserve file permissions

Connection tab
- - Default Protocol = FTP
- - Net timeout = 120
- - File transfer = check Do one transfer at a time.

FTP tab
- - Default port = 21
- - check Passive file transfers, Translate empty user to 'anonymous', and Use email as anon. password.
- - Email address pi@raspberrypi.
FTPS tab check Verify server certificate

SSH tab Default port= 22 and Program path = ssh
Done.

Main window.

HOST: 192.168.x.x (Your amiga URL)
Port: 21
User: anonymous

Go to Bookmarks and add bookmark.
If you are requested a password do not enter one just click OK.

After connection. The left side of bareFTP should be your pi home folder and the right side the Amiga RAM Disk.
Select a folder on the left and you should be able to move a selected file from Amiga to that folder by clicking the Direction arrows between the 2 windows.

Click disconnect and close the bareFTP window.

broadblues 
Posted on 28-Apr-2017 22:12:41
#4 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Signal

Are you saying you have a problem? Have you set DOS prefs to allow "*" as wildcard in AmigaDOS pasterns? THis is required for directory listings to work.

It works fine for me here from my linux debian laptop to my SAM using gFtp on the laptop and ftpd on the Amiga.

However I find it much easier to run an ftpd on the linux side and browse with PetesFTP from the Amiga side.

I would not advise anonymous connections, set a user and password or you will find bots trying hack in from the WAN.....

Last edited by broadblues on 28-Apr-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Signal 
Posted on 29-Apr-2017 1:21:55
#5 ]
Cult Member

@broadblues

I do not have a problem, just trying to help someone to get them going.

I have it working both ways on my system with user/passwords, but it is easier to get it working first then secure it later.

All help and advice is welcome.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 29-Apr-2017 1:40:04
#6 ]
Cult Member

@Signal

Quote:

Signal wrote:
@broadblues

I do not have a problem, just trying to help someone to get them going.
Pretty sure I know whom, and he appreciates it.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 29-Apr-2017 1:40:33
#7 ]
Cult Member

(Stupid browser! There should be a way to delete an accidental resubmission.)

Last edited by kilaueabart on 29-Apr-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Last edited by kilaueabart on 29-Apr-2017 at 01:42 AM.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 29-Apr-2017 21:37:15
#8 ]
Cult Member

@Signal
Mostly successful. I copied the instructions from three of your posts into one Text Editor file and left it open while I performed them one by one.

I left the computer to do other things while bareFTP was downloading. When I came back some time later, the TwinVNC rpi3 window had shrunk to something like 640x480! I have not yet been able to get it back to proper size. Preferences > Display Settings gives 1280x1024 as the only option, with Refresh Rate an unmodifiable 0.00! Not good. The rpi3 boots full screen by itself, so I don't know where the problem lies.

I finished going through the instructions and successfully moved a file with bareFTP. But I can't select any Amiga directory but RAM: Unless I fix that I will have to move any Amiga file I want to bring over to RAM: first. And moving from rpi3 to an Amiga directory of choice will involve a similar extra step. So far I think I prefer the pftp route, but I appreciate your carefully detailed instructions and I will continue a trial of bareFTP. I wonder if I can get on my web site with it.

I was startled by your instruction to "Make sure only VNC: is enabled [i]n the Menu > Preferences > RPi Configuration > Interfaces." I had the idea that SSH was important for a lot of stuff.

Last edited by kilaueabart on 29-Apr-2017 at 09:38 PM.

abalaban 
Posted on 30-Apr-2017 9:19:15
#9 ]

@kilaueabart

The fact you can only access the Ram is due to the fact you are using the default configuration for anonymous login. For security reason you must configure directory access for each user. Maybe one day we will add support for virtual fs (like filezilla server if you know) but for now each user is restricted to one Amiga directory (and sub directories).
If you plan to allow upload from remote ftp then be carefull about the permission while configuring users.

abalaban 
Posted on 30-Apr-2017 9:26:37
#10 ]

@broadblues

Quote:
I would not advise anonymous connections, set a user and password or you will find bots trying hack in from the WAN.....

This is a wise advice. Note that we added notifications to ftpd so that no connection would go unnoticed.
At some point we may add ability to refuse/disconnect any connection.

Signal 
Posted on 30-Apr-2017 18:08:12
#11 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

Quote:

kilaueabart wrote:
@Signal

I left the computer to do other things while bareFTP was downloading. When I came back some time later, the TwinVNC rpi3 window had shrunk to something like 640x480! I have not yet been able to get it back to proper size. Preferences > Display Settings gives 1280x1024 as the only option, with Refresh Rate an unmodifiable 0.00! Not good. The rpi3 boots full screen by itself, so I don't know where the problem lies.

I really don't know what happened to your screen/display.

It seems to me that the RPi screen should be smaller than the Amiga.

To set resolution on RPi Preferences> Raspberry pi configuration> Set Resolution. Mine is DMT mode 85 1280x720 60Hz 16:9.
I have Amiga set to 1480x900 (old eyes) ARGB 32 and TwinVNC colors set at 65536, Display = window.

So what is going to Amiga is less than Amiga can do. I don't really know.
Perhaps Amiga went to screen blanker and TwinVNC lost it's wondow?

It's easy enough to dis/reconnect VNC so, going to be away.....disconnect. I have noticed on my setup that if Amiga goes to screen blanker while VNC is active the keyboard on RPi reverts to Spanish. Go figure that one out.

Signal 
Posted on 30-Apr-2017 19:20:21
#12 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

Quote:

kilaueabart wrote:
@Signal

I finished going through the instructions and successfully moved a file with bareFTP. But I can't select any Amiga directory but RAM: Unless I fix that I will have to move any Amiga file I want to bring over to RAM: first. And moving from rpi3 to an Amiga directory of choice will involve a similar extra step. So far I think I prefer the pftp route, but I appreciate your carefully detailed instructions and I will continue a trial of bareFTP. I wonder if I can get on my web site with it.

I don't know how you have your HDrive setup on Amiga.

Here is a suggestion. Create a folder called Public on your Work: partition (if you have one). Then create several folders inside the Public folder. Name them Documents, Junk, and Files.

Lets say your using AmiGS or AmiPDF and you wish to transfer whatever to the RPi. So do your normal save then do a Save As to Work:Public/Documents.

Open ftpdprefs. Go to Users tab and click Add.
Use the backspace to delete 'new' and insert 'Public' as the Name. AND HIT THE ENTER KEY.
Then double click the Password and change it to i.e. ftpPublic. Enter.
Next do Path as Work:Public
Change Permission to 255, Enter and Save.

On RPi open bareFTP.

Host: 192.168.x.x (whatever Amiga URL is)
Port: 21
User: Public
Password: ftpPublic

Click Connect. If you get connected then select Bookmarks from the top row menu and select Add bookmark.
That should bring up a requester. Just leave the URL as is and add (Public) to the end of the Name box. 192.168.x.x(Public). Close that, done.

Click Disconnect. Wait for the connection to drop and a few seconds more, then select the original bookmark for the RAM.

Disconnect, wait, go back to Public.

Now change the original to give it a password. (You may need to delete it and use new again.)

You can setup as many bookmarks as you want for different folders on the same machine until something else comes along.

Probably forgot something.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 30-Apr-2017 21:16:50
#13 ]
Cult Member

@Signal

Quote:
To set resolution on RPi Preferences> Raspberry pi configuration> Set Resolution

How could I have missed that button when I was trying to fix things yesterday. Sure enough, it was set at 1280x1024. Still puzzling: if I switch my monitor to the rpi3, it fills the monitor screen.

Now I'm back to a TwinVNC that claims to be 1920x1080x24, even though it is actually smaller than the Amiga screen, leaving a bit over an inch on the left where I can see a stack of Amiga partition icons, and a bit less than an inch on the bottom where I can see my Amiga's dock.

Another still puzzling thing: this is the way it always was until I added bareFTP. What could have changed it? Fortunately that puzzle doesn't need answering.

Now I will work off of your next post, and assuming it works I won't reply to it.

Last edited by kilaueabart on 30-Apr-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Signal 
Posted on 1-May-2017 16:48:39
#14 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

If you set TwinVNC to use Screen instead of Window things will be different. I do not recommend it.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 2-May-2017 1:58:54
#15 ]
Cult Member

@Signal

I am not careful enough with "screen" and "window." Everything on my monitor screen is a window, so far as I know, including Workbench. I think there is, or used to be (I can't find it now) a way to switch Workbench between screen and window and I tried screen and didn't like it. I assume it's a window now, since I can drag it off the monitor screen. But then, I rarely know what I'm talking about any more.

BareFTP is almost working the way I would hope and expect, with one major exception. The user that connects with RAM: then has the option of opening any directories thereon, namely Clipboards and T. So far I haven't been able to open any of the directories that come up in the connection with Work:subdir (not their real names).

But if I copy one of those subdirectories/drawers to RAM:, then the bareFTP RAM: user can open it! Huh?

Signal 
Posted on 2-May-2017 13:15:43
#16 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

Quote:

kilaueabart wrote:
@Signal

BareFTP is almost working the way I would hope and expect, with one major exception. The user that connects with RAM: then has the option of opening any directories thereon, namely Clipboards and T. So far I haven't been able to open any of the directories that come up in the connection with Work:subdir (not their real names).

But if I copy one of those subdirectories/drawers to RAM:, then the bareFTP RAM: user can open it! Huh?

Is Work: a partition on your hard drive, or a Drawer on the System partition?

What exactly is your hard drive setup? Name, file system.

DH0: = ?
DH1: = ?
etc..

You got me scratching my head

kilaueabart 
Posted on 3-May-2017 0:43:53
#17 ]
Cult Member

@Signal

"Partition" vs. "drawer" leads me to head scratching, too. I hope maybe Media Toolbox will give you some answers that count. Here is what it lists, in order:

DH0 1.143 GB, SFS\00
DH2 23.011 GB, DOS\03
Data 99.779 GB, SFS\02
Apps 99.990 GB, SFS\02
Miscellany 149.497 GB, SFS\02
Internet 101.618 GB, SFS\02
dhx 93.132 GB, \00\00\00\00
dhx 0.023 MB, LNX\00
dhx 93.357 GB, \00\00\00\00
DH4 10.220 GB, DOS\03
DH1 4.274 GB, SWAP

"C:list sys:" and "C:list DH0:" both bring up the same list, which I take to mean that DH0: is my system partition, which includes a drawer called "System." DH2 is also known to DM2 as "Empty," and DH4 is AKA "DataBack," a March copy of Data. The last five items on the list are now junk, but I haven't bothered to reformat them yet; my drive has a huge unused space that I could use first.

More to the point, what I aliased as "Work:subdir" in my post is really "Internet:barts15/," and it is drawers in that that I really want to open.

I suspected that the reason I can bareFTP to RAM: and open T and Clipboards might be because those also answer to T: and Clipboards: but the drawer I copied to RAM and was able to open was a simple "Ftpd/." So my head still itches. How about yours?

Signal 
Posted on 3-May-2017 13:19:29
#18 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

Right now I'm thinking the problem may be with the SFS/02 file system (?)

When my power supply burned out it took out both of my hard drives and when I installed 4.1 I used DOS/07 on the new Amiga HD.

DH0: Sys: DOS/07
DH1: Work: DOS/07
No Swap

Right now I would suggest changing your SWAP partition to FFS/Long filenames = DOS/07 Blocksize=1024 Buffers=600.
Then, after format, put a drawer on it and reconfigure ftpd prefs to point to the new Name:Drawer. Then fix up bareftp to point to the new location.

Or try using DH2 or DH4 to see if one of those will work.(?)
It's worth a try. Interesting, if that is the problem.

Is that the HD out of your X1000?

kilaueabart 
Posted on 4-May-2017 1:08:56
#19 ]
Cult Member

@Signal

I'm afraid you are right. I can go as deep into folders as I want with DOS\03 DH4:.
Unfortunately there's little there I would want to actually move over.

I suppose I could make a new partition and copy Internet: into it, but for now I'll probably just stick with trusty old PFTP. Still, just for the fun of it, I'm going to see if I can get at my 1&1 web site with bareFTP.

Signal 
Posted on 4-May-2017 11:57:04
#20 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

Quote:

kilaueabart wrote:
@Signal

I'm afraid you are right. I can go as deep into folders as I want with DOS\03 DH4:.

............ but for now I'll probably just stick with trusty old PFTP. Still, just for the fun of it, I'm going to see if I can get at my 1&1 web site with bareFTP.

That is interesting. I'll have to make a note.

Pete's FTP is a fine utility. I have used it in the past but wanted to try something different this time.

Learn something new every day.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle