Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 155 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

DiscreetFX

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  2 mins ago
 Hypex:  10 mins ago
 AndreasM:  11 mins ago
 kolla:  19 mins ago
 Gunnar:  31 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  O.S.4.2.R.I.P.
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: O.S.4.2.R.I.P.
Posted on 9-May-2017 13:56:23
#21 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Do you get that all additional cost is negligible in comparison to entry fee for OS4 hardware?

Quote:
lack of any real progress in the last decade 'might' give even the most die-hard fan reason to worry.

OS4.1 (2008), 4.1 Update 1 (2010) and 4.1 FE (2014) were major updates. Even smaller updates included useful things like USB2.0 support (4.1 Update 3; 20011); UAE integration (4.1 Update 4; again 2011), new file system API, HD Audio driver (post Update 6 updates; 2012+) or support for Z3 RAM (4.1 FE Update 1; 2016).

Profile     Report this post  
cgutjahr 
Posted on 9-May-2017 14:23:09
#22 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

I was talking about closing the gap, not fixing minor issues. I stopped using OS4 as my main workhorse in 2008 or 2009 - for an end user trying to get stuff done, not much has changed since then. But yay, Z3 RAM is supported now.

Hypex 
Posted on 9-May-2017 15:08:14
#23 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

Quote:
4.2's goal are set quite a bit higher than a basic PPC port of OS3.X.

Well OS4.0 was more than a basic OS3.x port. It didnt match OS3.9 and I'd say even FE misses out on some features. But it looked a whole lot newer.

Hypex 
Posted on 9-May-2017 15:15:13
#24 ]
Elite Member

@zzd10h

Quote:
Still waiting for my free OS 4.2 upgrade since I bought my X1000 in 2012

As am I. However I was told I needed to buy OS4.1 FE to satisfy this and it looks like this will extend to every OS release between OS4.1 and OS4.2. Who knows how many this will be.

This wasn't stipulated in the offer I read. I don't mind paying, but I don't like to be told there's an extra one in the middle I have to buy. When it was said or implied that I will get OS4.2 free regardless when I bought the hardware, all costs included.

pavlor 
Posted on 9-May-2017 15:22:39
#25 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
I was talking about closing the gap, not fixing minor issues.

Minor issues? Changes in major releases were pretty big by Amiga standards...

PR 
Posted on 9-May-2017 18:41:43
#26 ]

Waiting for OS4.2 for Amiga XE since Linux +pre OS4 barebones and 5 since 3.9 boingbag 3 Extra Merry Christmas Special Edition.

retro 
Posted on 9-May-2017 21:41:21
#27 ]

two more weeks!!

wawa 
Posted on 9-May-2017 22:52:46
#28 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
Because more and more things cost money these days - driver updates, Multiview updates, updates of Multiview updates...

who cares, let them keep paying.. better than they keep flooding amiga, apollo/vampire and aros forums and threads with their prejudices and misconceptions. it is everybodys right to seek refuge, simply accept it may not be the same place you have escaped from, or a substitute in every respect.

Last edited by wawa on 09-May-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 09-May-2017 at 10:53 PM.

lylehaze 
Posted on 9-May-2017 23:29:32
#29 ]

@cgutjahr

Quote:
Define 'use'?

As you mentioned, I do spend a lot of time programming. (Though never as much as I would like).
But when not programming, my passion seems to revolve around MIDI.
Let me take a moment to compare my Amiga hobby "back then" to today:

I was a programmer before I was an Amigan. When I bought my first Amiga 1000, I also bought "Lattice C compiler". this was the smoothest IDE I had ever used. It was also very expensive, as I recall. I don't remember how much, but it rang well into the hundreds. and it was worth it.

Now on my X1000, I use "GCC". It's not as slick as Lattice/SAS was, but it's very capable, it works very well, and it's free. Nice.

How about that MIDI stuff? the very first software I bought for my first Amiga was called "SoundScape", published by Mimetics, written by Todor Fay. Amazing stuff. Then came the MIDI interface, then came all the "expansion packs", and also the includes to let me write additional modules. (see Lattice, previous chapter). It all added up to a lot of money, again. But well worth it.

All that software, amazing computer, and four voices of audio. _four_. Good thing I had a friends synthesizer to borrow, it would play "lead" while the amiga picked up the monophonic instruments like vocals, bass, and drums.

Add Deluxe Music Construction set.. less interactive, but it was staff based, and taught me a LOT. still four voices, + 1 MIDI output to my own synthesizer (more money there, too)

Later replace Soundscape with Bars&Pipes.. also quite expensive, also worth every penny, and by now I have three synthesizers sharing the one MIDI output..

Enough of the old days.. I spent a lot of money, I had a LOT of fun, I learned about music, programming, MIDI, and an amazing OS.

Now this X1000 sitting in front of me..
Expensive? Sure. Uses a standard keyboard and mouse. Uses a standard monitor, or HDMI to a 37" TV in my case. Graphics are excellent. Supports USB for keyboard, mouse, flash drives AND MIDI.

I am no longer limited to a single MIDI out. I have an 8X8 edirol interface in my synth rack, I have a Behringer BCR-2000 box-of-knobs to control my audio mixer. I have a Yamaha Digital Piano that has no MIDI ports, just USB direct, like the VMeter volume control (sadly, no longer available). ALL of these devices are PLUG-AND-PLAY, requiring no special drivers. I have more MIDI interfaces than I can count, ALL active ALL the time, and all "joined" by the SAME camd.library that the classic Amiga uses, so the old software gains all this new power that was simply unavailable on my classic Amigas.

And how much does "joe average" have to invest to get a good MIDI setup? NOTHING. Now AmigaOS includes a very robust 16 channel MIDI synthesizer IN SOFTWARE. no more 4 voice limit, no more 16 channel limit. You CAN run multiple instances of Timi at once for more channels.

Bars&Pipes? Free. Horny? Free. DMCS? I have not yet been able to get it to run properly. But playing with Score has spoiled me, DMCS is just too crude for me to use anymore.

So, yeah. There's stuff I am looking forward to that's not here yet, and I can not predict when it will be. But the Amiga in front of me right now is hands-down the most capable Midi Amiga that I have ever touched, and most of the parts needed to make it happen are either part of the OS or freely available.

I'm not claiming the Amiga is for everyone, and it's certainly not for everything. But mine has always been about music, and it is stronger than ever, and less expensive by FAR than the mass produced classic Amigas too.

The music is playing, why not dance?

wawa 
Posted on 9-May-2017 23:42:11
#30 ]
Elite Member

@lylehaze

Quote:
and less expensive by FAR than the mass produced classic Amigas too.

cmon, you know that is not true? this template for an execuse has been discussed so many times..

Quote:
The music is playing, why not dance?

cause it will work same or better for less on either the genuine amiga or even a linux pc.

you are using os4 and some ppc board for this. because you want to. fine, it is your choice..

Last edited by wawa on 09-May-2017 at 11:44 PM.

lylehaze 
Posted on 9-May-2017 23:55:02
#31 ]

@wawa

Quote:
cmon, you know that is not true?

It is true, and I didn't just make an empty claim, I explained it in considerable detail.

Your experiences may well differ from mine. I don't know how much you have spent on classic Amigas and software, and I don't know how much you have spent on NG Amigas and AmigaOS4 either.

That's why I told my history instead of yours.

Trixie 
Posted on 10-May-2017 8:06:11
#32 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@lylehaze

Quote:
I don't know how much you have spent on classic Amigas and software, and I don't know how much you have spent on NG Amigas and AmigaOS4 either.

My A500 (512KB RAM, no HD), bought in 1990, cost about the same as a complete Sam440ep system (HD, DVD, slim case) I bought new from Vesalia in 2009.

My A1200 (2MB RAM, no HD, no accelerator), bought in 1994, was slightly more expensive than the NG complete system.

My A4000 (2MB RAM, no HD, no accelerator), bought second-hand in 1999, cost about twice as much as the NG complete system.

My current NG machine, bought in 2011, has been the fastest and most stable Amiga system I have ever used, with the most plausible price/performance ratio.

So much for my personal experience.

Last edited by Trixie on 10-May-2017 at 08:06 AM.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

mr2 
Posted on 10-May-2017 8:39:57
#33 ]
Cult Member

@lylehaze, Trixie

You are loosing your time trying to convince people who hate you have fun using AmigaOS4. Writing is on the wall.

@lylehaze

SCORE, how is it progressing?

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 10-May-2017 9:32:47
#34 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
who cares, let them keep paying.. better than they keep flooding amiga, apollo/vampire and aros forums and threads with their prejudices and misconceptions.

ROTFL, isnt' this exactly what you and few others do on a regular daily basis wrt OS4 related threads/news/anything? Talk about sawdust and plank...

Last edited by Nibunnoichi on 10-May-2017 at 09:33 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 10-May-2017 9:45:38
#35 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

Quote:

My A500 (512KB RAM, no HD), bought in 1990, cost about the same as a complete Sam440ep system (HD, DVD, slim case) I bought new from Vesalia in 2009

as example: my first amiga which i have bought in a store in stuttgart about 1990 was an a600. i remember it to cost under 300dm. which is less than 150 eur now. a complete mainstream system, not some garage custom thing. not exactly up to date but in comparison to that time pcs certainly more up to date than any amigaone is today. still well supported with software. handicap being kickstart 2.x, since most soft still expected the old one. bought switch for that, problem solved.

subsequently i bought a1200(used), two blizzard boards, equipped it with 16mb ram i brought from the states. tha latter most costly, since the worlds only ram chip manufacturing plant has burned sown or something. none of these acquisitions exceeded few hundred dm, i couldnt afford extravagance. alone an a4000 with a ppc board, which i got much later costed me 700eur. what an epic mistake, as if i had not known that beforehand..

im fine with you guys using your ppc boards, and you might have made different deals than me. but insisting on that amiga in its glory days was objectively as expensive as what you buy, sound simply like a weak attempt at self justification.

Trixie 
Posted on 10-May-2017 9:57:25
#36 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@wawa

Quote:
but insisting on that amiga in its glory days was objectively as expensive as what you buy

I'm not saying that: I'm saying that Amiga in its glory days was actually more expensive than what I have now. Plus, at that time with my student income from various part-time jobs it took me a year to save up for an unexpanded Amiga. Today, with a regular job, my current OS4 system cost me less than a month's pay. So I don't really need to self-justify as you're trying to imply. I knew what I bought, it didn't cost much, and I don't regret. I assume you feel the same about your system, whatever it happens to be.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

wawa 
Posted on 10-May-2017 9:58:33
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Nibunnoichi

Quote:
ROTFL, isnt' this exactly what you and few others do on a regular daily basis wrt OS4 related threads/news/anything? Talk about sawdust and plank...

i was talking about sensless comments based on phantasies and wishful thinking.

Rob 
Posted on 10-May-2017 10:01:34
#38 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

You got an A600 in 1990? What made you so special? Also How come you got it so cheap? It went on sale in the UK for £399 when it was launched in 1992.

Are you sure you're not confusing 1990 with late 1994?

wawa 
Posted on 10-May-2017 10:08:52
#39 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

Quote:
I'm not saying that: I'm saying that Amiga in its glory days was actually more expensive than what I have now

it wasnt. i gave you an example.

an a4000 costed somewhere between 2000-4000dm in a large stroe, which in euro is half of the amount today. one could say it was support, price and performance wise correspondent to to regular ibm clones and cheaper than any other relevant platform. atari has already declined.

Quote:
. Plus, at that time with my student income from various part-time jobs it took me a year to save up for an unexpanded Amiga.

same as me. but our financial abilities back then and now have nothing to do with the actual price. its fine though if it is a non issue for you, others might think diefferently as we see.

wawa 
Posted on 10-May-2017 10:10:44
#40 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

it might have been 1991 or so, (edit: okay it might have been even 1992) but it was bargain, none wanted them anymore. 1994 i had an a1200hd.

i bought these computers because they were the only ones i could afford. i couldnt justify a pc.

Last edited by wawa on 10-May-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Last edited by wawa on 10-May-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Last edited by wawa on 10-May-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle