Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 139 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigang

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigang:  22 secs ago
 Tpod:  36 mins ago
 pixie:  41 mins ago
 Birbo:  55 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 MarcioD:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 58 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  AmigaOneX5000 Review
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
tlosm 
Re: AmigaOneX5000 Review
Posted on 31-May-2017 13:53:18
#61 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

one info in radeonhd driver on amigaos the radeon dpm is set as a default value eg 33% or there is a dpm control? im writing this because the gpu is noisy under amigaos compared linux or on pc

Last edited by tlosm on 31-May-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Last edited by tlosm on 31-May-2017 at 01:53 PM.

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Profile     Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 31-May-2017 14:27:34
#62 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

Two words, "water cooling", takes care lack of fan regulating software and take cares tiny noisy CPU fan.

tlosm 
Posted on 31-May-2017 14:51:36
#63 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

is gpu :P yes wc will be cool too ... but i have wc on g5 quad and belive me if i say is not noisless machine

Last edited by tlosm on 31-May-2017 at 02:52 PM.

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Hans 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 2:51:43
#64 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Quote:

kas1e wrote:
@Hans
Quote:

That depends what the allocated buffer will be used for. Buffers that are uploaded once and then accessed by the GPU only will be put in the extra VRAM immediately (e.g., so most textures & VBOs). Buffers that the CPU will access more often will go into CPU-accessible VRAM. The intended usage is indicated when buffers are allocated.

Sadly that there is room for "ifs" :) I mean, from pure game-port-from-linux perpective, will that new allocator help to avoid situation when we have filled from 256 mb accesed by cpu, and so everything going to be slow and crawl ?:) Or, there will be "to be seen", as well as there may be needs for some adaptation code ?

Those "ifs" are there for a very good reason: you do NOT want a buffer that will be used for CPUGPU streaming to be in GPU-only VRAM! That'll hurt performance. Ideally we'd put such buffers in GART space in main memory (so the GPU can slurp the data using DMA), but that's a task for some other day.

As far as Linux ports are concerned, most textures & VBOs should end up in GPU-only VRAM immediately. OpenGL's glBufferData() function includes a usage hint which helps the driver pick where to store buffers, and those ports will hopefully have used those correctly. For textures the default should be to use GPU-only VRAM unless they're specifically marked as for streaming (e.g., using a pixel buffer object).**

Hans

** This assumes that the GLES2 library passes on the usage hints correctly, which I expect it does already.

Last edited by Hans on 01-Jun-2017 at 04:42 AM.

Hans 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 2:56:04
#65 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

Quote:

tlosm wrote:
@Hans

one info in radeonhd driver on amigaos the radeon dpm is set as a default value eg 33% or there is a dpm control? im writing this because the gpu is noisy under amigaos compared linux or on pc

There's no Dynamic Power Management (DPM) on AmigaOS yet. I wish there were, but it's surprisingly complicated to implement. DPM isn't something you can just enable; it requires a lot of driver initialization and management.

For now, GPUs are set to run at their rated speed. **

Hans

** A few GPUs are underclocked slightly because they're unstable at their rated clock speeds. The open-source Linux drivers do this too.

tlosm 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 8:33:23
#66 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Ok Thanks for info :) was only courious about just for understand about the more spinning of the gpu fan.
For sure less spin and noisy of my old radeon 1900gt (G5 quad) under linux that was look like a turbo jet :P

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 3-Jun-2017 15:47:45
#67 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

The G5 is require a lot more power and make lot more heat then PA6T-1682M.

Well you can have bigger intake fans, which blow into the radiator; there are different qualities of fan's on some fans there is rubber selling that prevent vibrations into cabinet. As water-cooling systems are not designed for AmigaONE, the water-cooling block might need modification, so that mount onto the CPU, getting the original cooling block of the CPU can be slight dangers. As they seemed to have used double sided thermal tape originally.

I advise getting someone that has done this a few time to help, I also advice take your time, think twice before you do anything look at YouTube videos, lots of tips, most important you circle the cooling flawed around system, use a external power source to drive pomp, make sure there is no bobbles or few. make sure you don't have any leeks, and when you absolutely safe to turn on the computer you do it.

And its idea just test the cooling system hook it up, see that it work before you start mounting into a AmigaONE. take baby steps.

To get system silent you need regulate the pump and fans, and try to avid vibrations.
Once you have that I order, you might notice a frequency noise from hard drive, so the next thing to do is get SSD disks.

In CFE you check temperature, you can also check temperature in AmigaOS there are some apps for this.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Jun-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Jun-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Jun-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Jun-2017 at 03:53 PM.

HyperionHolding 
Posted on 3-Jun-2017 17:34:32
#68 ]

@Hans

Thanks, very insightful.

With respect to powermanagement I'm surprised this is so convoluted but then it apparently is the same for CPU's.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle