Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 137 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  54 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 billt:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 43 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 6 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 12 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 20 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  4 hrs 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Ransom Ware
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
lylehaze 
Re: Ransom Ware
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 1:47:02
#21 ]

@evilFrog

Elected nutjob? Really??
I'm American. I am proud of my country. But calling our president a "nutjob" is an insult to nutjobs all over the world.

And I don't know how to recognize an evil knife. But I know an evilFrog when I see one.

Profile     Report this post  
iggy 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 2:41:50
#22 ]

@lylehaze

Quote:
calling our president a "nutjob" is an insult to nutjobs all over the world

I love my country too, but would you prefer we refer to him as an arsehole?
Because its obvious he's unstable, but he's also just plain unlikable.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 2:46:46
#23 ]

@Zylesea

Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
Let's do a roundup and just forbit mankind. Should solve most issues with criminals, terrorists and all the other bastards (you name them).

Some nukes and planet earth will be a peaceful place, finally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c

Excellent!

iggy 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 2:58:00
#24 ]

@BigD

Quote:
We're the reason planet Earth is even here; created to sustain us for God's pleasure.

And the Sun revolves around the Earth (unless the Earth is flat that is), and the world is mans to dominate. Heard it before. Its pure ego-centrism.

OK...I don't credit everything written in a book as the direct word of God, obviously you do.
So who is deluded is debatable, although, and this might weird out the agnostics, I think the self proclaimed 'Son of man' was the greatest man to walk face of the earth.
And the parables taught by Jesus do point to the redeemable nature of man.

But, my education covered a LOT of science and biology, as well as the study of ecology and natural resources, and I hate to break it to you, but evolution is a fact.
You can actually see small changes in characteristics over a relatively short time (and the world has been here a LONG time - far more than a few thousand years).
The more we understand about genetics and population dynamics, the more we are beginning to understand about the past history of life on the planet.

Also there's nothing particularly noble about the average man (certainly no more than the average animal), except in his or her potential.
Which we SO frequently squander, and there is no God that's going to forgive us for that.

So, please, don't tell me what you 'know' because of something you read or were told.
Because my God has spoken to me thousands of times in my lifetime, and I think he's got a big bitch slap for the self righteous at judgement day.

BTW - Jesus is returning? Don't count on it, so called 'conservatives' and politicians conspired to kill him, and the dead are lost to us...forever. So cherish those around you now, because you DON'T have an eternity to do it.
I don't buy the myths the Roman's built up to excuse themselves for that murder, you obviously do, and have the temerity to think it somehow redeems you.
I think you missed the real point of the story, mankind was offered a messiah, and they choose to crucify him.
And THERE is revealed the true nature of man.

Last edited by iggy on 29-Jun-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Last edited by iggy on 29-Jun-2017 at 03:12 AM.
Last edited by iggy on 29-Jun-2017 at 03:03 AM.

evilFrog 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 10:44:51
#25 ]

@lylehaze

Quote:

Elected nutjob? Really??
I'm American. I am proud of my country. But calling our president a "nutjob" is an insult to nutjobs all over the world.

Haha... I'll make no comment on the current POTUS. I'm rooting for the little people, as always.

Quote:

And I don't know how to recognize an evil knife. But I know an evilFrog when I see one.

And knowing is half the battle. The other half is the bit where an evil knife lunges at you, dragging a poor unsuspecting person behind them...

Still, this topic seems to be going full pancakes pretty quickly. Best I stop here; I don't know how much lemon juice I have left.

Last edited by evilFrog on 29-Jun-2017 at 10:47 AM.

cha05e90 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 10:53:13
#26 ]

@BigD

Quote:
The Bible clearly says ... We're the reason planet Earth is even here; created to sustain us for God's pleasure.

I read another book. And the answer is: no, it's not.

Last edited by cha05e90 on 29-Jun-2017 at 10:53 AM.

PR 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 11:04:29
#27 ]

Lemmy was God... Is this Amigaworld?

Use pancakes.. No Real paper bills and coins.

Everything in the net is not true.

Have to go earn some euros/dollars with hard work.

Comming back after You have wisened.

BigD 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 13:36:59
#28 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

Quote:
But, my education covered a LOT of science and biology, as well as the study of ecology and natural resources, and I hate to break it to you, but evolution is a fact.

Wrong. Evolution is based on many assumptions, one of which is an old Earth / universe and there being no God. There is no need to be preoccupied with missing links and lack of actual evidence of new origins of species if we simply explain it away as being difficult to see because it takes squillions of years It is called the 'Theory of Evolution' for a reason because it is not proveable.

Quote:
I think you missed the real point of the story, mankind was offered a messiah, and they choose to crucify him. And THERE is revealed the true nature of man.

We were not created this way, we were given free will and we choose this corrupt and morally degenerate path. That Jesus knew what awaiting him if he became a man among us and yet he still decided to go through with it (his crucifixion was ultimately his choice) is a miracle! He did this to make a way back for us to have a relationship with God as holy God can't abide sin and hence he can't even hear our prayers were it not for Jesus taking the punishment for that sin. This is justification of our sins which occurs if we ask for them to be forgiven in Jesus' name i.e. being born again.

This is the true revelation of God's character that of saving grace, justice but also second chances! Our character reflects this if we are justified by the sacrifice he made.

Humans hence have inate value because...

1) We are made in God's image.

2) God saw fit to give us a second chance despite us going our own way and rejecting him both in the Garden of Eden and also when Jesus came to live amongst us!

BigD 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 13:44:07
#29 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

... with that in mind. It is obviously the human beings that should be the priority not the planet itself. This is why it is benefitial to give international aid to ease suffering and not necessarily beneficial to subsidise low greenhouse emission vehicles or industries. Diesel cars anyone? They provide lower carbon dioxide emissions due to more efficient fuel/energy conversion ratios but we all breath in the big chunks (relatively speaking) of carbon soot when they are burning diesel fuel in city centres!

What's more important? Fighting lung cancer caused by diesel particulate matter or fighting a chance of increased global temperature change? I think that public opinion is now more sensibly viewing the human risk here and now as more of an issue. Rightly so IMHO.

Signal 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 14:25:29
#30 ]
Cult Member

and there goes another political donation.

iggy 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 15:57:39
#31 ]

@BigD

Uh...no.
Pretty much to your world view.

The next thing you're likely to advocate is the rebuilding of the Temple at Jerusalem and the resumption of making burnt offerings.

We are not the center of the universe, just a small, and probably temporary part of it.

And while I attend services on Sunday, and take part in the rituals, I pity those who don't see the allegory and poetry in the documents and take them too literally.

Because the words of men are NEVER the direct voice of God.

@QuikSanz

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c
Excellent!

"We're so self important..."

Yeah, that about sums it up.

Last edited by iggy on 29-Jun-2017 at 04:02 PM.

Paula 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 16:07:24
#32 ]

@BigD

Quote:
Wrong. Evolution is based on many assumptions, one of which is an old Earth / universe and there being no God. There is no need to be preoccupied with missing links and lack of actual evidence of new origins of species if we simply explain it away as being difficult to see because it takes squillions of years It is called the 'Theory of Evolution' for a reason because it is not proveable.

That statement shows an amateur's faulty understanding of the scientific usage of "theory".
In science a theory is an explanation which has to adhere to a couple of base principles, the most important ones are:
1) Traceabillity: It must be clear and obvious to anyone, how that theory came to be. No wonders, no mircacles and most important of all, no "divine secrets".
2) Verifiabillity: The theory must be provable by *anyone* with access to the tools/observations used to come up with it in the first place. This verification must be possible regardless of the researcher's creed, sexual orientation or religious believe. There is no such thing as "it only works if you believe in it" in science!
3) The theory must fit within a global framework - thus it must not violate other scientific observations, or if it does, it must explain those deviations as well. In science *all* pieces must fit together, there is no "leaving it to Jezuus" within the realm of science. If a new theory invalidates an existing one, it must offer another explanation for that one, too.

Not a single(!) claim made in Genesis can fullfil even one of these demands and most certainly not all three of them.

PS: Whosoever claims that the Bible is about "humans inate value" only shows that he didn't comprehend the darn thing - if he ever read it in the first place.
How high was that "value", when God made Job suffer, just to win his bet with Satan?

Last edited by Paula on 29-Jun-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Last edited by Paula on 29-Jun-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Last edited by Paula on 29-Jun-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Last edited by Paula on 29-Jun-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Last edited by Paula on 29-Jun-2017 at 04:10 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 16:15:04
#33 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

Quote:
The next thing you're likely to advocate is the rebuilding of the Temple at Jerusalem and the resumption of making burnt offerings.

Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice so that burnt offerings were no longer necessary. The temple for the Holy Spirit is now our own bodies not a building in the Holy land / war zone. Are you sure its worth going through the motions on a Sunday if you just think it's a fairy story written by Jewish equivalents of J.R. Rowling? Seems like a waste of time to me and just 'playing at religion' (Jesus wasn't a fan of the pharisees and sadducees remember)!

Maybe you should start your own church where you can devise an idol of your liking then you can pick and choose the bits of the Bible you like and insert bits of evolution or other questionable theories more to your liking where you see fit. As you know the Bible is quite clear on Yahweh being a jealous God and not tolerating the worship of false idols, but hey why should you break the habit of a lifetime?

Obviously I'm not advocating this course of action but you're acting like there are no implications associated with your devaluing and rejection of large portions of the Bible including presumably Genesis and hence the need for Jesus to come to Earth in the 1st place. It's either God breathed and worthy of your time or you should reject it all as falsehood, there is no middle ground.

Paula 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 16:20:38
#34 ]

@BigD

Quote:
Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice so that burnt offerings were no longer necessary.

You mean that exercise in masochism on the cross?
Since a supposedly almighty God could just do as (s?)he pleases, were was the *need* for that daylong torture session - unless someone truly got his rocks off here??

PS: If God was breathing, did he have to use a mouthwash?

Last edited by Paula on 29-Jun-2017 at 04:22 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 16:22:13
#35 ]
Elite Member

@Paula

Quote:
There is no such thing as "it only works if you believe in it" in science!

I agree with you, that is why evolution is not science. This faulty and ridiculous corruption 'of the scientific method' is exactly what has been carried out with geological time classification and evolution.

Evolution can 'only' work as a theory if you 'believe' that the universe is billions of years old and the geological strata can only be classified as a certain age in the 'millions of years' bracket if you believe that fossils record shows a framework of organisms 'evolving' in certain way with the preceeding organisms dying out in an ordered fashion all in time periods approximating millions of years because the evolutionary biologists said that is the way they 'think' (assumed) it happened.

The extinction timeframes are normally assumed and species are said to have died out at a time period because they're not preserved in that particular layer of stratigraphy. And yet certain animals are explained away as not needing to evolve for millions of years i.e. sharks and others don't fit into evolutionary assumptions at all i.e. the Platypus and the Bombardier Beetle and so are ignored. The models are protected by wave after wave of biased peer review by people of equally biased anti-God, old Earth world / universe world views (read 'beliefs') so the pseudo science continues in sort of a sick Emperors New Clothes sort of way with extra grants and back slaps for the ones that find ever more ingenous ways to attempt to prop up this house of cards!

These two streams of 'science' are reliant on each other for verifiability and yet both are based on assumptions and a world view that the universe is old and that there is no God. Those assumptions came first and the way of explaining away God came afterwards. I guess it allows atheists to sleep better at night knowing that they don't have to thank God for the order and beauty that scientists see in the universe they can just put it down to 'dog eat dog' , chance and chaos! What 'faith' it must take to believe the equivalent of a Rolex watch (i.e. humanity) can be created from random chaotic events initially involving simple proteins and pond water! That requires more faith than a faith in Jesus Christ being resurrected from the dead IMHO.

Last edited by BigD on 29-Jun-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 29-Jun-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 29-Jun-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 29-Jun-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 29-Jun-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 29-Jun-2017 at 04:25 PM.

iggy 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 17:08:52
#36 ]

@BigD

IMHO? You do NOT have a humble opinion.

You believe you understand the nature of God, the creation of the Universe, our purpose in life, and the few simple rituals that need to be followed to assure your salvation via 'faith'.

You have perverted the intent and importance of your religion and rendered it little more than a self righteous death cult.

Further, don't presume to lecture me on Christianity, I don't need your permission to follow my beliefs. Nor does anyone else at my church.

I would have preferred that Jesus avoid that end, but the truth is, the story really illustrates how your side operates.
And then they warp things to suit their own purposes afterward.

In the long run, you're no more valuable to humanity than radical Muslims, because you're so sure you're right (and that there is only one way to be right).

Its like trying to apply science to philosophy, and its a formula that has historically only produced conflict, wars and strife.

Humility? You could use some. Your pride is showing, and in excess, that is a sin.

pavlor 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 17:16:53
#37 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
Are you sure its worth going through the motions on a Sunday if you just think it's a fairy story written by Jewish equivalents of J.R. Rowling?

I think it is some sort of cultural tradition. Comparable to Christmas in the Czech Republic, where only one few people can be called Christians. Still, Christmas is the most popular holiday there enjoyed by nearly the entire population (including atheist plurality).

Quote:
It's either God breathed and worthy of your time or you should reject it all as falsehood, there is no middle ground.

Why? Entire Bible can be fairy tale, but that says nothing about existence of God.

BigD 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 17:26:33
#38 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

The Bible is the main way God has revealed himself to mankind. If you reject it you don't know ANYTHING about God and he is just whatever you've created in your own mind. That is idolatry and a subject investigated in the drama 'American Gods' on Amazon Prime Video. Again if you think it's a fairy tale then you may as well stay at home and watch American Gods! Especially if someone can sit in church their whole life and not be challenged on the fact that the Bible is true, God breathed and relevant to everyday life! I guess there's a lot of liberal 'religious' churches about just going through the motions That's why actually preaching from the Bible would benfit these churches because even if the minister isn't a believer (increasingly common) the Bible is the word of God and if spoken aloud people would still come to a living faith in Jesus Christ in spite of the unbeliever actually speaking the words! In the 18th century some ministers came to faith in the middle of their own sermons!! So rather than giving a wool address on global warming or being kind to muslims maybe these ministers should do their job and preach from the Bible.

Last edited by BigD on 29-Jun-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 29-Jun-2017 at 05:28 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 17:31:00
#39 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
The Bible is the main way God has revealed himself to mankind. If you reject it you don't know ANYTHING about God and he is just whatever you've created in your own mind.

Do you believe in God, because you read about Him in some old book? Or do you believe in God, because He represents inseparable part of your life?

If first is your answer, then you never believed in God at all. If second, then you don´t need any book for your faith.

BigD 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 17:36:24
#40 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Have you ever read the Gospel of John?

John 1:1

Quote:
In the beginning was the word and the word was with God

That both tells us that the Bible is Jesus' message or 'wisdom' and that Jesus was present at creation. So yes if you ignore the Bible you don't KNOW God and you are inventing your own idol. God is also revealed through the Holy Spirit but it is primarily the Bible; this has always been the case and isn't going to change just because of the rise of spirituality and liberal religious blasphemy.

From Wiki
Quote:
Jesus is called the "Word" in this opening verse because he was the Son of God sent to earth to reveal his Father's mind to the world.

This wisdom was recorded in the Bible.

Last edited by BigD on 29-Jun-2017 at 05:41 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle