Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 114 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  6 mins ago
 vox:  10 mins ago
 matthey:  48 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 mbrantley:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 FerruleMedia:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 Dragster:  2 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  NOKIA have dropped the ball with the new 3310 (2017) MMS problem
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
BigD 
Re: NOKIA have dropped the ball with the new 3310 (2017) MMS problem
Posted on 6-Jul-2017 0:27:02
#41 ]
Elite Member

@OneTimer1

Quote:
They have not produced it ...

HMD Global HAVE designed (read: produced / made / taken credit for / used their brain to get some thing to market that wasn't there before / etc etc etc) under license from Nokia.

Frankly, that is all a bit too long winded so you'll forgive me if I leave the original sentence as it is and hope that you don't lose to much sleep over it

Maybe you expected me to find out the name of the Vietnamese person (or robot designation) working in a factory who assembled my serial numbered handset?!

Last edited by BigD on 06-Jul-2017 at 12:33 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 06-Jul-2017 at 12:29 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
resle 
Posted on 6-Jul-2017 0:48:47
#42 ]
Cult Member

between that Jesus thread and this one, I'd say Amigaworld.net has found a worthy successor to Franko first and Vox then. Long live the king.

BigD 
Posted on 6-Jul-2017 0:57:05
#43 ]
Elite Member

@resle

Me and Franko had our fair share of 'debates' too. Debates I don't mind but nit-picking jobsworths I can do without

... must remember God loves them and hence so should I

KimmoK 
Posted on 7-Jul-2017 8:09:51
#44 ]
Elite Member

To make Nokia 3310 great again.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/06/make-your-nokia-3310-great-again-with-a-special-2500-putin-trump-gold-and-titanium-edition/?ncid=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TechCrunch%2FDevinColdewey+%28TechCrunch+%C2%BB+Devin+Coldewey%29

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

BigD 
Posted on 14-Sep-2017 14:51:29
#45 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Here is a video demonstrating the problem! See it's not just me! The only advice that Nokia have given thus far is to test another Sim Card, but unless the Sim Card has the updated APN settings for the Nokia 3310 on it it's not going to make a lot of difference!

Nokia 3310 (2017) MMS issue Video

BigD 
Posted on 10-Nov-2017 20:07:01
#46 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Solved!!! MMS picture messaging works on the Nokia 3310 with a new O2 Sim!

It was indeed the old Sim Card that was the issue!!! So although it worked for MMS picture messaging in my old 2006 era Nokia 3220 the Sim Card when transferred would not support the same functionality in the new Nokia 3310 (2017 2G Version)!!

Technology is strange

To be fair to O2, they followed HMD Global's guidance for me to try a new Sim Card and sent it out free of charge. It worked straight away after using the Sim Swap O2 service so both companys helped to solve the issue.

So now my only main grievance is the Calendar on the Nokia 3310 only allows 25 entries, does not allow auto deletion of old entries after a month and does not allow import or export from other phones! This is worse than the Nokia 3220 from 2006! It is however refreshing that you can just plug in the phone via a USB cable and it is recognised as a standard 'Mass Storage Device' to download the photos. Just add a 32Gb SD Card and it's ideal for MP3 use and basic photos and don't forget the battery lasts for 22 hours of talk time on a single charge or in my experience 10 days of medium use. Bluetooth transfer in my experience is a bit hit or miss on modern smart phones to an Apple laptop. It's almost as if Apple only expected you to only use Bluetooth for music I guess that's another bugbear but it's not an issue with the Nokia as you just use an USB cable with no additional software required

P.S. It's now also available as a 3G version with a reduced 6.5 hours of talk time (I'll stick with 2G myself).

Last edited by BigD on 10-Nov-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 10-Nov-2017 at 08:10 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Nov-2017 15:16:17
#47 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Good to hear you got somewhere with this. Does that mean the "old" sim was made to work on 3G and didn't like to go backwards?

Years ago I had an issue with a new phone. Remember the flips? Best design ever. Flip open your phone, ready to go, no stuffing about unlocking. Then they brought out the sliders, a generation I missed, after which Android came along and stuffed it all up because it had no keypad buttons. Anyway, I put my current 2G sim in this new 3G phone. It seeemed fine at home but then I traveled to an island couple of hours away. Didn't know but I couldn't receive calls. Don't recall if outgoing was broken as well. Turned out the island didn't like the old 2G network. I got a new 3G sim and then it was fine. Bizarre! An island only working on new tech.

BigD 
Posted on 11-Nov-2017 18:42:26
#48 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

It doesn't make sense because 3G existed from 2003 onwards. I got the Sim around 2006/2007 so it was likely 3G enabled but I only ever used it on a 2G device (the Nokia 3220). MMS picture messaging worked fine until I transferred the Sim into the Nokia 3310 (2017) where I got the weird black and white thumbnail error ONLY when receiving (I could still send photos fine)! As far as I know my 3310 is 2.5G and hence is similar GSM network technology to my 2G Nokia 3220. There seems no good reason for this incompatibility and I don't think O2 or HMD Global are really aware of it until the phone was released and a few of us spoke out!

Last edited by BigD on 11-Nov-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 12-Nov-2017 14:11:18
#49 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

I had MMS trouble for years within the last decade and only solved it in recent years by activating the option to download at the press of a button. Most of the time I had my internet off so it didn't suck money and the MMS would never load, even after enabling it. And if it was on the MMS still didn't come down the line. I didn't know how I bought all these mobiles that claimed to support MMS and yet it didn't work. This is how Nokia got ahead I reckon. This "normal" stuff like MMS just worked on a Nokia as did VCards and cell broadcast messages. But on my Motorola cell broadacast never worked as intended and it kept sending me an SMS instead of displaying the cell on screen. Then I went to Samsung and MMS didn't work. I blamed myself for buying these weird mobiles. Even if they were name brands they were still weird. Normal stuff just didn't work that always worked on a Nokia. Well for the most part.

It could be a 2.5G thing and I remember that one. What I don't understand is why they would put 2.5G or 3G only on a new handset? Surely that is being phased out? It's like rebooting a C64 and instead of putting a HDMI port on it, leaving it at RF for an analogue TV.

But as you found something on the sim didn't match up causing a conflict.

Last edited by Hypex on 12-Nov-2017 at 02:13 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 12-Nov-2017 21:28:47
#50 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

All I know is the battery drain for the Nokia 3310 3G version is over three times greater than the 2G version! If you want a long lasting battery on a feature phone then the 2G version is better. I actually find 2.5G fast enough for Google, weather and news usage.

I know 2G is being phased out in Australia and some other countries but in the UK the 2G infrastructure will stay in place for the time being:

http://blog.telegeography.com/2g-is-fading-away-but-it-might-outlive-3g-in-europe

Quote:
The disappearance of 2G is also visible in Europe. But it seems unlikely that any GSM systems will be closed before 2020, with Swisscom and T-Mobile Netherlands scheduling shut downs by the end of that year.

However, some European operators – including Telenor of Norway and T-Mobile Czech Republic – have suggested that their 2G networks could outlast their 3G systems. As 3G is replaced by 4G and 5G technologies, GSM services are being retained to service legacy machine-to-machine connections, in addition to their extensive voice coverage.

This seems a solid reason that the UK 2G network will last for at least another decade:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Network-status/When-will-2g-be-switched-off-in-the-uk/td-p/602140

Quote:
I’ve just done a little research on this and 3G might just be switched off before 2G because of how it provides solid low frequency coverage in rural areas, and is also an alternative to sometimes unreliable 4G. But nothing will happen until 5G becomes available to the masses.

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Nov-2017 14:29:56
#51 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
I know 2G is being phased out in Australia and some other countries but in the UK the 2G infrastructure will stay in place for the time being:

Well that's interesting. For internet we are said to be one of the worst. Especially for people on the new fraudband fibre network that doesn't beat the existing cable broadband network. You are lucky to get half the speed of the "old" 100Mb cable while paying to get 100Mb.

But here now 3G is considered old hat and 4G is common. As is 4G LTE. 5G too early to tell. We know what happened after the G5.

Quote:
This seems a solid reason that the UK 2G network will last for at least another decade:

How about that.

Some friends brought back a phone from the Americas and found it to be incompatible with home networks. This is despite reading that most phones will work. Can't hook onto network. I wonder if the actual hardware is different. Or if it is limited by firmware.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle