Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 114 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  20 mins ago
 outlawal2:  29 mins ago
 Karlos:  59 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 Luc:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 15 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  AmigaOne X5000 PowerPC.library (Fail)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
SACC-dude 
Re: AmigaOne X5000 PowerPC.library (Fail)
Posted on 6-Jul-2017 20:41:42
#21 ]

@Sir_RUSH

Don't use the classic version! USE the 4.1.1 version that came with the X5000!

Quote:

Sir_RUSH wrote:
@SACC-dude

Greetings,

I have the Classic 4.1.1 but it doesn't boot well with AmigaOne X5000. Unless I notice a crash quick enough and click "Kill". But I will format a new partition with NGFS and copy the contents of USB Backup to it. The copy over the other programs including Payback and Timberwolf.

I had searched compatibility for Payback 68K/PPC but I'm starting to wonder if that was meant only for X1000, or pre-X5000. Slight argh... All showed that it is possible to run them....with some effort.

Appreciate the reply. I'll now make that partition and check how it goes.

Profile     Report this post  
Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 6-Jul-2017 20:58:52
#22 ]

@pavlor

Quote:
32 bit OS with 31 bit adress space limitation = 2 GB. Note OS4.1FE can use memory above 2 GB via Extended Memory Objects. I think only Ram Disk supports EMO right now. (see AmigaOS blog post about EMO for more info)

Ahhh!! I thought porting Amiga OS and getting to 4.1 would remove / rewrite the memory limits. It probably is using it as a cache/virtual RAM. I know Classic 4.1 does this and it can be disabled. Okay, I'll look into that more later. MorphOS probably doesn't have that happening in the API. I haven't used MorphOS, I've only seen it. Since there's an option to select it, which I DO like about this machine....a lot, I might check into that also. A friend said that Payback does work with MorphOS..not that that's the only reason to use it. No...no...haha.

Quote:
Edit: As of Payback problem, maybe this thread on AmigaOS support forum helps?

Yeah, I hadn't gotten around to adding the keyboard to Lowlevel. I read this as a reminder. Wink. Appreciate it.

Last edited by Sir_RUSH on 06-Jul-2017 at 10:58 PM.

Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 6-Jul-2017 21:08:21
#23 ]

@SACC-dude

Quote:

Yesterday I did it just for fun. I know it's meant for CSPPC. But....we're Amiga users, and explorers. Haha! I was smiling as I typed that. I logically knew it would fail, but I wanted to know how well it would go.

I've a bit more common sense than to think it would go fine. Since The "U-Boot" wouldn't be written to nor the other partitions, or the hardware would be damaged...it was a playful "Humm?" to do.

tonyw 
Posted on 7-Jul-2017 0:17:11
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Sir_RUSH

Did you say you are getting "Read errors" while transferring files ???

Please describe what you are doing and the devices involved.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 7-Jul-2017 23:29:17
#25 ]

@tonyw

I did type that. I'll type below what's happening... I'm about to deem this thread as "Closed" since I don't want it to go any further off topic than it has. I figured powerpc.library had to do with WarpOS but I didn't understand why the "powerpc.library" was not being found. That part is still a mystery to me, but it might simply be 4.1.1 rejecting it since it won't work.

Tony, I'll reply to your question and then I'll start a new thread after I seek an answer further and if I'm not able to locate an answer. I wasn't expecting this to be a challenge at all.

I made a new partition formatted with Standard Filesystem (FFS). So I could copy the files from the "original" partition created by Amiga-Kit's put together team. Whoever got it ready and made it it's all "good". I didn't want to do much more to the original partition (DH0) on the Hard Drive because I already noticed Timberwolf is crashing when ran. I figured that odd since it should be fine....and was with my 4.1.1. for CSPPC...and WinUAE.
So I created a "SysFixed" partition with Standard Filesystem and left it on "Plain" instead of Long Filenames. I also left Max Transfer at FFFFFFF and Mask at FFFFFFFE. When I have Directory Opus 4, 5 or the OS copy a file to another partition rarely I see a Read Error on the source partition.

Toshiba 37EEH Hard Drive. I would have to break the glue Amiga-Kit put on it to check it with another Hard Drive but I don't think this is a Hard Drive challenge.

I just did a fresh install of OS 4.1.1 but I forgot to make a partition non-mountable. Now I'm doing it again since Odessey isn't installed on the fresh partition I created. I didn't realize OS 4.1.1 is so bloody picky unlike OS 3.5 and OS 3.9... Now I'm making sure the "fresh" partition is the only one seen and shall check what's happens then. If the browser is installed then, and everything is "new" then I'll mount and older partition and copy the User Data over from another partition and check stability...as well as Timberwolf.

I now understand why people like Odessey, and it's cool Tabs. As well as saving sessions. Yay! So now Timberwolf will just be a test. More soon...

Last edited by Sir_RUSH on 07-Jul-2017 at 11:29 PM.

Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 7-Jul-2017 23:33:51
#26 ]

@SACC-dude

Quote:

I didn't want to register and download the ISO, yet. Hehe. Now I have..and am attempting a 2nd "fresh" install since it read from a previous auto-mounted partition. Not how I'm using to AmigaOS functioning.

Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 10-Jul-2017 1:27:28
#27 ]

@SACC-dude

Quote:
Start fresh! Reinstall your os4.1.1 using NGFS!

BEFORE you Add one thing at a time...ask about it's compatibility.

I followed this a few times. I've leaned that the CD for X5000 doesn't always install sound files correctly.

I also noticed as fast and speedy as NGFS is, some "Classic" software does NOT work well with it. Whereas if I make a partition formatted with Standard Filesystem (FFS), the software then DOES function because that's what it was designed with and for. The OS may be on NGFS, BUT some classic stuff won't install from it. It HAS to be copied to FFS...then installed...and onto the same Filesystem.

I have confirmed this with Timberwolf, and ShogoMAD. Extract to RAM and run, Timberwolf fails every time...even when I modify the tabs and prefs. Extract to FFS and config it, or copy it from FFS to FFS...it retains, runs, and exits fine. Slow...but fine. Odyssey doesn't do this...it's ported for newer Filesystems.

Shogo...I copied my CD's contents to NGFS..and it would not, would not, would not install correctly to the same NGFS correctly; the process was broken each time. Even with Wizard.library copied to NGFS Libs:. I copied the contents of the CD to the same FFS (Standard Filesystem; for new users reading this..) as I have Timberwolf on and it IS going through the install process to the same Partition. Slow!! Yes, but IS happening.

I haven't attempting this with SFS yet. I don't know what they changed since OS 3.1 to 3.9...but I suspect it should work fine. I'll confirm soon. Anyway... I thought you might like to know, as well as others, of my finding. I'm very much a hands-on power user...explorer.

By the way..I love the SACC logo. It still looks very, very good. I was part of the creation of it with a couple tips here and there but, Jim Z was maker of it. I still have the original files.

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Jul-2017 3:39:16
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Sir_RUSH

Quote:
So I created a "SysFixed" partition with Standard Filesystem and left it on "Plain" instead of Long Filenames.

Unless you are using it for simply file sharing and transfer you will need to use FFS LongNames for a Workbench partition. It needs this to be proper. It may allow otherwise but that's a bug that slipped through the cracks.

Quote:
I also noticed as fast and speedy as NGFS is, some "Classic" software does NOT work well with it. Whereas if I make a partition formatted with Standard Filesystem (FFS), the software then DOES function because that's what it was designed with and for.

The filesystem really shouldn't matter. All the program should be doing is going through the DOS API to access files. If that fails I wonder what it is doing or what is happening if it isn't going at it at a lower level.

Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 10-Jul-2017 5:04:52
#29 ]

@SACC-dude

Quote:
Start fresh! Reinstall your os4.1.1 using NGFS!

BEFORE you Add one thing at a time...ask about it's compatibility.

Hello.

I've discovered that NGFS isn't the FS for older programs. Timberwolf doesn't load well or exit well outside of Standard Filesystem (FFS). Or SFS.

NGFS is pretty good for many things, more modern...sure, possibly. But there's a reason FFS is the other choice with the CD. As I'm sure you're aware.

That (SACC) logo you use. I'm really glad it looks as good as it does the day Jim Z and I made it. It was much more he than I, but really glad to see it's still looking awesome. I still have the original files that made it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle