Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
34 crawler(s) on-line.
 143 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  4 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  6 mins ago
 Gunnar:  11 mins ago
 Kremlar:  25 mins ago
 Rob:  29 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  52 mins ago
 clint:  58 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Atari Joystick with AmigaOne X5000
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Sir_RUSH 
Atari Joystick with AmigaOne X5000
Posted on 8-Jul-2017 8:01:37
#1 ]

Hello everyone,

I did some searching here and didn't find anything close. Has anyone been able to get an Atari Joystick to function with WHDLoad or RunInUAE?

I recently got Payback 68K working with it, but without it literally being used. Only Lowlevel mapped without being saved. Thus, being "Used" instead of saved. I located the guide that was helpful, and with a larger screen that's able to be used with a Picasso 4, that's pretty sweet with an X5000. Okay, that's a bonus...and I don't mind using a "fake" joystick when all I wanted was Keyboard access. Yay!

On with the Atari Joystick. I'm using this....

https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Link-Atari-PC-USB-Cable/dp/B007ZS35CU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1499500111&sr=8-8&keywords=USB+Atari+Joystick

AOS 4.1.1 noticing both connections with AmigaInput. I've only used "Port 1" so far. If I calibrate it, it's way off. The X goes into the upper left area and not at all anywhere else unless I move the Atari bottom right, then the calibration is shown in the middle. This makes playing, for example, Rocket Ranger not possible.

I do not want to use a Gamepad. I don't enjoy Gamepads at all. For 30+ years, I have loved Atari Joystick or Keyboard, and I've attempted to use what my son likes. NO Go. So, that should set it straight that "Try a Gamepad." isn't going to get a good reply, haha!

Since my current connector isn't "doing well" with AmigaInput, anyone else or anybody else have a suggestion or using an Atari Joystick with a suggestion I haven't used yet?

Ask anything. I'll reply if I know the answer. Smiling. I really appreciate the help I've received so far.

Profile     Report this post  
outrun1978 
Re: Atari Joystick with AmigaOne X5000
Posted on 8-Jul-2017 8:13:10
#2 ]
Cult Member

@Sir_RUSH

Not too sure I can help you with the joystick issue but I too got Payback working natively in OS 4.1 on the X5000 last night, shame the CD audio doesn't work but am going to have a fiddle around and see if I can get the mp3 audio tracks from the CD to play in Tunenet/AmigaAmp to run at the same time as the game .

Been having a play around with some other RTG games with mixed results. Myst works but another good game in OnEscapee works in a small screen with no sound or control despite using lowerlevel.library

Fortunately OnEscapee runs from the CD in run in E-UAE and looks and sounds great

pavlor 
Posted on 8-Jul-2017 8:15:44
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Sir_RUSH

Problem may be USB/Atari connector. As far as I know, only Atari Joysticks attached to Catweasel card were guaranteed to work. Did you try plain USB joystick?

klapdeur 
Posted on 8-Jul-2017 17:24:59
#4 ]

@outrun1978

i use this one works great with alot 9pin joystick also atari and c64 /amiga.

http://www.retronicdesign.com/en/

Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 8-Jul-2017 19:12:58
#5 ]

@outrun1978

Quote:
Not too sure I can help you with the joystick issue but I too got Payback working natively in OS 4.1 on the X5000 last night, shame the CD audio doesn't work but am going to have a fiddle around and see if I can get the mp3 audio tracks from the CD to play in Tunenet/AmigaAmp to run at the same time as the game . Been having a play around with some other RTG games with mixed results. Myst works but another good game in OnEscapee works in a small screen with no sound or control despite using lowerlevel.library Fortunately OnEscapee runs from the CD in run in E-UAE and looks and sounds great

I haven't checked if it plays audio CDs at all yet. Right now I'm only checking the main reasons I bought this and whether or not I'm going to keep it. So far, it seems like a Yes. I know it's still early in development with much room to grow. I didn't expect to be "beta testing" so much, per se. It's "pretty" to look at and very fast, much more than A4000. But of course, faster CPU and newer than Picasso 4.
I have read your other comments about your attempts. I shall keep those in mind. I was thinking about converting my installed Nightlong/Payback to a self-made CD and booting it through UAE but Payback 68K plays at larger screens better with this Radeon. At least until ReWarp (or another?) grows more, which is my preference. I'd really like to not emulate everything in UAE, or I would have stuck with WinUAE. I'm was really glad to notice I could stop that poor floppy sound, it sounds very odd!! Doesn't sound like my floppy drives at all for AmigaOne. I heard it through some YouTube videos as well and cringed. Maybe I'll sample my own? *Shrug*

If I cannot get the Atari Joystick connector to calibrate movement successfully, or find some kind of connector that will read the Atari Joystick movements correctly then.......that will be a problem. Again, I am not into any other Joystick and I've tried many clones -- in my life. I do have a "Gamepad" that I really wanted to like that has a small Joystick on it but I also know AmigaInput has some bugs. I can see them being fixed, and I'm sure they're reading here and checking into things.

Lowlevel.library. As long as you save the calibration info AmigaInput doesn't seem to be crashing much...at all now. But as I read in a guide, don't save the Lowlevel settings. Only use. HAH! Whew! I came close to figuring that for myself. But... It's sweet to be able to play Playback 68K at 1024x768 vs 640x480 with Picasso 4 when my PPC was working.

I think I'd be okay with Nightlong playing through UAE...shall check that soon. Next to check is Wipeout.

Soon to get a bug report to ReWarp.

Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 8-Jul-2017 19:18:41
#6 ]

@pavlor

Quote:
Problem may be USB/Atari connector. As far as I know, only Atari Joysticks attached to Catweasel card were guaranteed to work. Did you try plain USB joystick?

Hmmm!! Did not know about Catweasel. There is another USB connector for Atari connector I'm going to check into. I Am thinking it's the USB connector I'm currently using. But...why does it work fine with WinUAE??

I do have another USB Gamepad with 2 little Joysticks, but the buttons are in positions I've not been able to become used to, and the "Joystick" is too, ummm...."wide" in circular range where the Atari is more closer and focused. I'm very, very, very used to where the fire button is also. I find Gamepads aren't meant for left hand thumb and right hand controls; much. But for testing, the USB Gamepad I have works well with AmigaOne X5000. Not for me for actually playing.

Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 8-Jul-2017 19:21:52
#7 ]

@klapdeur

Quote:
i use this one works great with alot 9pin joystick also atari and c64 /amiga.

http://www.retronicdesign.com/en/

Awesome!! But so Be sure.........you've used this connector with AmigaOne X5000 with Joysticks with the same connector as the Atari?? Or...with an Atari Joystick? Does it calibrate correctly!? Very thrilled to read this!

outrun1978 
Posted on 8-Jul-2017 19:29:05
#8 ]
Cult Member

@Sir_RUSH

regarding the audio cd for payback i set it to P5020sata.device device 0 and this didn't seem to work, however i think this is an issue on a Sam 460 also as i used to have it running on there too without any audio and the cdrom was connected to a SIL3512 sata controller.

Wipeout will not work with the latest builds of rewarp as have tried that, the good news is that it will work using Wazp3d which you can download from Aminet. you will just need to swap the relevant warp3d.library with the wazp3d.library and rename it warp3d.library every time you play this game.

the below video will help you

http://amigafun.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/testing-rewarp-on-amiga-x5000.html

Last edited by outrun1978 on 08-Jul-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Last edited by outrun1978 on 08-Jul-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Last edited by outrun1978 on 08-Jul-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 8-Jul-2017 22:59:32
#9 ]

@outrun1978

Quote:
Wipeout will not work with the latest builds of rewarp as have tried that, the good news is that it will work using Wazp3d which you can download from Aminet. you will just need to swap the relevant warp3d.library with the wazp3d.library and rename it warp3d.library every time you play this game.

The Amiga hacker theme is alive and well with AmigaOne (all versions)...haha! I didn't make a note of the Wazp3D and I honestly thought that was a typo when I read it before. Ahh...okay, have to rename it to play it. Something I'm failure with....haha! I shall get a copy.

Okay, that also enabled Payback PPC to load into the actual game without sound, as I've read in other threads. Interestingly, audio.device is loaded by both 68K and PPC. I messed with the Audio settings a bit and ports, but so far nada. I know luck does not exist either way so I won't suggest "No luck."... Hmm... Is that a lacking feature of Wazp3D?? Or ReWarp's powerpc.library?

Either way, I'm really curious now. For now, Payback 68K but I think I'll play the PPC version some to see if there are any crashes because of the lack of sound. I haven't installed Wipeout yet.

Develin 
Posted on 9-Jul-2017 6:25:22
#10 ]

I'm about to have a bigger batch ready with this Dual-variant ready soon :
http://www.onyxsoft.se/joydivision.html

Just a side note =)

And yes, this works on all systems, including OS4, MorphOS, AROS, Amibian etc. etc.

Thematic 
Posted on 9-Jul-2017 8:25:32
#11 ]

@Sir_RUSH

The sound in Payback PPC is a feature of that build of the game. 68k with PPC was restricted (in 3.x OS naturally) by context switches, so audio.device is only used for reserving the channels and sound is produced by accessing chip registers directly. In order to have a performance gain. [citation needed]

Last edited by Thematic on 09-Jul-2017 at 08:26 AM.

: Pegasos (ff) 512 MB & MorphOS
Praise seitan.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 9-Jul-2017 9:33:02
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Sir_RUSH

Quote:
Has anyone been able to get an Atari Joystick to function with WHDLoad or RunInUAE?

You need to edit config file for EUAE, RunInUAE just loads EUAE.
the same does my WHDLoad stuff on OS4Depot.net, it just loads EUAE, and starts the 68K version of WHDLoad, (so its just a simple workaround)

https://github.com/keirf/e-uae/blob/master/docs/configuration.txt

joyport0=mouse
joyport1=joy0

"AmigaInput Anywhere" can map AmigaInput to mouse and keyboard events, to control game with out AmigaInput support.

AmigaInputAnywhere is found on OS4Depot.net

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 09-Jul-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 09-Jul-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 09-Jul-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 09-Jul-2017 at 09:34 AM.

klapdeur 
Posted on 9-Jul-2017 19:33:36
#13 ]

@Sir_RUSH

Yes i use it one my amiga one 500 and with classic joystick.
Atari joysticks are supported

Last edited by klapdeur on 09-Jul-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 9-Jul-2017 22:31:09
#14 ]

@Thematic

Quote:
...PPC was restricted (in 3.x OS naturally) by context switches, so audio.device is only used for reserving the channels and sound is produced by accessing chip registers directly...

Okay, that makes sense for PPC. The 68K is using audio.deice where as the PPC version is, but produces the sound from the chips directly where the 68K was using Audio device. Make sure I'm reading that correctly.

I knew some things "banged" the hardware directly, but didn't know what the result of that would be later. As you can tell I'm not a programmer, but I do understand some stuff after talking to several in the "early years".

I appreciate that info...and really wish I'd known that before. 68K version is doing very, very well. I agree with another poster a while ago that there are slight differences but not anything that stops enjoyment of the game. Appreciate the reply, Thematic.

outrun1978 
Posted on 11-Jul-2017 21:03:04
#15 ]
Cult Member

@Sir_RUSH

Right i have some good news, managed to rip the Payback CD audio to a folder within Payback. The on board P5020sata.device wont support the ripping of CD's in Adripper, so had to install a SIL3512 Sata controller (2 port) and the CDrom drive is currently plugged into there. It also means i can now burn CD's on my machine

Anyway back to Payback

Create a playlist for the album either in AmigaAmp or Tunenet and start playing the music

Then run the 68K version of Payback in Amiga OS4.1

Good news is that you have the atmospheric soundtrack whilst playing the game in the background complete with the sound effects of the game, the bad news is that the songs will be in whatever order they appear in your tracklisting or playlist

still this workaround is better than no in game music as I am sure you will agree

Last edited by outrun1978 on 11-Jul-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Last edited by outrun1978 on 11-Jul-2017 at 09:12 PM.

PR 
Posted on 11-Jul-2017 21:31:18
#16 ]

Not knowing of anything but for eg. Payback update 7 worked until the setup here.

I was very confused and unhappy as very many old things just did not work.

Why God Why?

As being still around I hope we get the Best from the new and some old.

That was the agreement. ;)

Give me the Power to make all the utilities and games to PPC and going 24/7.

Seems to be impossible?

Last edited by PR on 12-Jul-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Last edited by PR on 11-Jul-2017 at 09:59 PM.

Sir_RUSH 
Posted on 12-Jul-2017 2:29:48
#17 ]

@PR

Quote:
Not knowing of anything but for eg. Payback update 7 worked until the setup here. I was very confused and unhappy as very many old things just did not work.

I understand the hardware is meant for newer Amiga stuff. But while that's true, there are going to be people who want to run older stuff as well and I really thought they'd considered that a bit more. Did they? Did they not? The UAE that's used is a lot older than I thought. (Win)UAE has gone through any improvements. I wonder if someone is considering bringing the code to AmigaOS 4? If so, that would also make CSPPC as well as Picasso 4/UAEGfx available. Which would solve the current "Older stuff" problem and make this machine more worthwhile...while supporting newer software FOR OS4.

Quote:
Why God Why?

Depends on which God(s) you're talking to. The most common today in reference comes from Pagan/Wiccan Gods... But I'm not fond of putting my hands to the clouds and asking "Why?" about something. That's silly to me. Hehe.

Quote:
As being still around I hope we get the Best from the new and some old. That was the agreement. ;)

I am very much in agreement with this!! I'm going to make a fake Ooze AGA WHDLoad install and see if if it works. I can get the current UAE to run 68040 but...wow, it's slow. The music and gameplay drag. I'm very impressed with the Speed of OS 4.1.1 and overall usage, but Classic support would really be benefited from current (Win)UAE.

If I knew how to code...I'd be doing it NOW. Meanwhile I'm going to check for other UAE's in OS4 Depot. Also would love to know if 4.2 is supposed to have much better emulation for AGA and 68020+? But mostly AGA...

Thematic 
Posted on 12-Jul-2017 5:25:06
#18 ]

@Sir_RUSH

I haven't really used WinUAE apart from a glance when it started (last century - okay I don't use any of them that much), but while PPC is not there, in E-UAE, P96 support is. It requires editing a settings text file and therefore some background information that can be gleaned from the accompanied documentation.

: Pegasos (ff) 512 MB & MorphOS
Praise seitan.

outrun1978 
Posted on 12-Jul-2017 6:28:54
#19 ]
Cult Member

@Thread

If someone would like to share their optimised E-UAE settings/config file with P96 support then i think this would be of great benefit to all users

klapdeur 
Posted on 12-Jul-2017 10:55:07
#20 ]

@outrun1978

Try the playcd library dont know the exact name.right now.
patch and cd.library it worked on my os 4 amiga one 500.

If im right its cdda.lib or something
Give my all audio playing in differce games

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle