Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 120 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  5 mins ago
 kolla:  14 mins ago
 amigakit:  23 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  25 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 MickJT:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 47 mins ago
 AndreasM:  2 hrs 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Raspberry Pi 3 (partial) recovery
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
kilaueabart 
Raspberry Pi 3 (partial) recovery
Posted on 13-Jul-2017 1:52:43
#1 ]
Cult Member

I recently traveled to the mainland and was able to take my desktop computer with me because it fit so easily into my carry-on luggage. I used it regularly when my daughter didn´t need to use her keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

Preparing to install some audio stuff, I was upgrading, when along came a note that the upgrade was going to conflict with something I had configured. I took the option of typing "D¨ to find out what was what. It turned out it would have changed the wallpaper. Big deal!

Unfortunately, I did not know about typing ¨Q¨ to get out of the info back to the upgrade. ^C didn´t work, nor Ctrl anything else, nor Esc. I finally had to give up and power off the Rpi without properly shutting it down. Well, it almost booted thereafter, except the HPLIP icon got stuck half size in the upper left corner and mouse and keyboard didn´t work. After a while my backup program opened a window to tell me it would run a backup as soon as I plugged the flash card in, proving the RPi wasn´t really dead. But.

I ordered a microSD preloaded with Raspbian, and I was able to copy over my /home/pi Desktop, etc., folders easily enough, but I was/am afraid to copy over anything from /home/pi/ so I was missing a lot of apps, such as the VNC stuff.

I found and installed the program I had backed up the old card with and used it to recover. The browser came back with all the book marks but on the whole I think it mainly recovered the things I had already copied over from the old card. I will have to plow through the long discussion we had here when I was first trying to get everything working, and do it over again.

Unless someone knows what files from /etc, /var, /usr, /lib, /sys, etc. I could safely copy over without blowing up my system again. Or the other way around: is there anything on my new card I could replace the incomplete upgrade on the old card with? Apparently the upgrade unpacked a ¨pi-greeter:armhf 0.5¨ but didn´t install it thereafter. So suggests the last line of dpkg.log.

Profile     Report this post  
Signal 
Re: Raspberry Pi 3 (partial) recovery
Posted on 13-Jul-2017 13:12:52
#2 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

Since it was partially through the upgrade there is no telling what files were changed, and on Linux (Unix) the Everything-Is-A-File concept makes it difficult to know what got changed. My Advice, start over.

Since it's still the same board you should have no problem with networking.

If you need to copy files as root you can open a terminal and 'sudo pcmanfm' which should open the file browser as superuser. You could also install gnome-commander and once started it has a selection under the FILE item to use as root.

The Amiga side should not need any changes for VNC, and on the RPi activate VNC in Raspberry Pi Configuration/Interfaces. No problem if you need help.

When you do get setup again use the Accessories/SD Card Copier to make a duplicate.

TiredofLife 
Posted on 13-Jul-2017 17:22:53
#3 ]

@kilaueabart

You could try ssh in the future from another machine.
Use that and then try sudo apt-get update.

Cheers

kilaueabart 
Posted on 14-Jul-2017 0:54:28
#4 ]
Cult Member

@Signal

Quote:
My Advice, start over.
Yeah but. I had spent so many hours installing and setting up... Can't type Japanese any more. I hope gnu-cash will accept the old data files I saved when I reinstall it.
Quote:
Since it's still the same board you should have no problem with networking.
I'm not quite sure what board is the same, but yesterday no problem getting on the net. Perhaps because by the time I switched back from Amiga yesterday RPi3 had died and didn't get properly shut down, my cable connection wouldn't connect with anything today until I switched to wi-fi.

I wasn't having any trouble copying files. It's just that I don't know which are safe, let alone which would help. But I will shortly find out just what pcmanfm and gnome-commander do, just to know.

I am going to work through #91 (Hey! It didn't save my keyboard settings from yesterday! I just got a British pound sign instead of "#") of our original long RPi3 forum. Clicking on the Twin-whatever icon on the Amiga gets me a "disconnected" alert. Maybe I will need to redo that side after all. I did find VNC shortly after complaining about it not reappearing yesterday.

Last edited by kilaueabart on 14-Jul-2017 at 12:57 AM.

Signal 
Posted on 14-Jul-2017 12:24:00
#5 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

You will have to check the RPi address of the LAN and probably change the RPi password to the one you have been using.

Left click the RPi VNC icon and it should provide the info needed.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 15-Jul-2017 0:36:15
#6 ]
Cult Member

@Signal
That's what I did. Then I got HPLIP back, but I must have done it differently this time. I used Add / Remove and it was a bit of a hassle. I wonder if I did it through CUPS before.

Then I installed Gnucash and managed to immediately wipe out the records I had copied over from the old OS flash drive. I was a bit more careful after copying them again.

Two things are strikingly different from the Old Days. In #74 of your original Raspberry Pi 3 thread, I remarked, "Since doing the Synaptic thing, I get a horrendous stream of messages when booting up...." I have no idea what "doing the Synaptic thing" was, but I get no messages when booting.

And I can't make my RPi3 window fill the monitor screen.

Last edited by kilaueabart on 15-Jul-2017 at 12:37 AM.

Signal 
Posted on 15-Jul-2017 12:20:49
#7 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

In RPi Configuration > System Overscan check Disable. You can also Set Resolution.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 18-Jul-2017 1:44:13
#8 ]
Cult Member

@Signal
OK, but I am still curious about why I don't get the long string of boot messages when I start up. I remember being a bit annoyed when they started up on my original install, but now I miss them.

Speaking of my original install, I reviewed the "Raspberry Pi 3" thread in this forum from start to finish yesterday. It sure took me a long time and a lot of help to get anything going right!

Signal 
Posted on 18-Jul-2017 14:50:07
#9 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

The amount of boot messages depends on how the kernel and startup sequence are configured. I have noticed sometimes many messages other kernels not.

Open the file browser and click the up arrow until you see a 'boot' folder. Inside you will find 2 files, cmdline.txt and config.txt.

The cmdline sometimes has an entry 'QUIET' the stops the messages.

The config file has the settings for running the Pi. If you have loaded a new OS you may wish to change the overclock setting to 1000 or 1200 to improve performance. I use 1200 and things like videos are much better. To edit the file you need to be root, so 'sudo leafpad' in a terminal will do the trick.

You will notice some of the settings are the same as what you configured with the Preferences>RPi Config and get stored in this file.

The next time you wish to do a fresh install try the NOOBS LITE installer. It will install the very latest version.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 19-Jul-2017 1:31:36
#10 ]
Cult Member

@Signal

Quote:
The cmdline sometimes has an entry 'QUIET' the stops the messages.
Sho nuff. And now that I know that, I'm happy to leave it "quiet."

Found this at https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99686&p=691732: "If you delete every directory in /os (don't delete the /os directory itself) then you'll have an exact facsimile of NOOBS lite." I wonder if that means I can have NOOBS LITE without reinstalling? I'm too chicken to try. And maybe your suggestion was only for getting a newer version.

Before that, I had looked at http://rpf.io/configtxtreadme, recommended in /config.txt, which informs me that RPi3 default clock setting is 1200. Why then was mine set at 700?

I seem to know less and less, day by day, about how to use a computer, and always need more basic-level help.

Signal 
Posted on 19-Jul-2017 12:03:11
#11 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

The OS runs on several versions of RPi and some are lower speed so 1200 would be too much.

You should only use NOOBS for installing a new OS.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 20-Jul-2017 1:27:53
#12 ]
Cult Member

@Signal
Now I see that NOOBS would have been $5 cheaper than Raspbian! Should I buy it now and go through the long process of setting everything up again? (I'll go ahead and order it, assuming the answer will be yes.)

This is what I have now:
Quote:

cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="8"
VERSION="8 (jessie)"
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"

Linux raspberrypi 4.9.35-v7+ #1014 SMP Fri Jun 30 14:47:43 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Signal 
Posted on 20-Jul-2017 12:51:00
#13 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

You don't have to buy NOOBS. You can download the NOOBS LITE.zip here

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/

and follow the instructions here

https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/software-guide/

all you really need is a USB to SD card adaptor and a spare 8, 16, or 32 Gb microSD card.

It's all installed online then just plug in and go.

You can also make backups of your card using the Accessories>SD Card Copier and the USB adaptor.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 20-Jul-2017 21:36:17
#14 ]
Cult Member

@Signal
Those are a couple of things I looked at yesterday, after ordering the NOOBS, but haven't carried through on the instructions yet. Apparently I was able to cancel the NOOBS order just now.

Meanwhile, I copied my original, slightly spoiled, microSD card to my Amiga, in preparation to deleting its content for copying the downloaded (unzipped tentatively to RPi Desktop) NOOBS to.

Still, the probably impossible thing I would like to do before I clear the old card is try to find the bad part and just replace that and go back to using the original. I was hoping to find some clues in the log files, but nothing is quite meaningful to me, so far. And none of the copied files looks relevant to anything I installed and want to save. Everything is dated May or November 2016. I guess I'm going to have to reinstall and update everything once again.

Well, I've got one more probably crazy idea. What if I don't clear the original card before I put NOOBS on it?

Signal 
Posted on 21-Jul-2017 12:36:24
#15 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

About the only files you will be able to rescue are in the pi(home) directory.
When Linux installs programs various files get scattered everywhere.

You probably could install NOOBS to your card now, but when you run it it will reformat the card anyway then install the latest version of the OS.

For keeping files seperate from the SDcard you can use a USB stick.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 23-Jul-2017 1:14:04
#16 ]
Cult Member

@Signal
I haven't been able to clear my original 32mb microsd yet, so here I am in NOOBS Lite on an 8mb-er. That'll fill up pretty fast, I guess, once I start copying things over from the previous card. This guy has, of course, no idea who I am or what time it is. But at least I am satisfied that I can do it, though I'm still not quite clear on what the advantage of NOOBS (Lite or otherwise) is.

Should be easy to do e-mail. I'll know in a minute.

Signal 
Posted on 23-Jul-2017 14:18:07
#17 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

I would save any data to a USB stick then format the 32G SDcard, Download NOOBS-LITE, unarchive it to the SDcard, install the card in the RPi, switch on, and install the OS over the net. Then copy whatever you want off the USB stick.

OldAmigan 
Posted on 23-Jul-2017 21:45:55
#18 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

Full instructions how to install either NOOBS or Raspbian are at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

kilaueabart 
Posted on 24-Jul-2017 1:02:10
#19 ]
Cult Member

@OldAmigan

Thank you. I had successfully installed NOOBS to a tiny 8 Mb card yesterday, so I was pretty sure I could do it again, provided I could re-format the 32 Mb card that came with my RPi and that I had ruined with an incomplete update.

To prepare it for formatting, in the end I had to Install it with Amiga Media Toolbox! But it seems to have worked. I'm about to shut down, switch microSD's, and find out!

Chris_Y 
Posted on 24-Jul-2017 11:35:43
#20 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

Quote:

To prepare it for formatting, in the end I had to Install it with Amiga Media Toolbox! But it seems to have worked. I'm about to shut down, switch microSD's, and find out!

The official SD Card formatter tool is your friend: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

That will format SD cards "properly" so the card knows it is blank.

You can then quick format normally if you want a different FS on there, or write an image that is smaller than the card without it struggling to remap dead blocks if they occur.

Last edited by Chris_Y on 24-Jul-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle