Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 150 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  3 mins ago
 Rob:  9 mins ago
 blmara:  35 mins ago
 miggymac:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 7 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 46 mins ago
 DWolfman:  3 hrs 56 mins ago
 cncparts:  5 hrs 29 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  6 hrs 15 mins ago
 Beajar:  6 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Talos II POWER 9 workstation
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
WolfpackN64 
Re: Talos II POWER 9 workstation
Posted on 10-Aug-2017 8:12:51
#21 ]

@ferrels

Their kickstarter failed. That isn't any indication that they have malevolent intent, unlike so many companies who reached their kickstarter goals and never shipped anything.

I've read up on plenty of their technical specifications. It's pretty damn obvious they're going to run Linux. Also, I'd be surprised if a Silver level OpenPOWER member would scam it's costumers.

I've their going to ship this thing then your whole post is going to look a tad ridiculous.

Profile     Report this post  
tlosm 
Posted on 10-Aug-2017 8:52:34
#22 ]
Elite Member

@WolfpackN64

osx leopard ppc in kvm will gave the opportunity to use some professional software for audio video not present on linux ppc scene. intel osx cant run on power9 only in qemu emulation where the performances will be slow.

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 10-Aug-2017 8:57:40
#23 ]

@tlosm

I can understand that. Apple did (and kind of still has) awesome professional software. I'm more curious as to how Linux professional software compares though.

simplex 
Posted on 10-Aug-2017 11:17:49
#24 ]
Cult Member

@gregthecanuck

Quote:
To me the dual-processor motherboard is complete overkill for an initial offering. Sure that could be a next-generation or power-user (heh) option but for goodness sakes that must have added a lot of extra costs.

Seems to me they're aiming this at the "power" computing market: scientific outfits that need a lot of RAM & horsepower. I'm not sure that really exists anymore, what with the advent of cluster computing and all, but once upon a time university math & science departments, as well as professional research outfits, would easily drop tens of thousands of $$$ on SPARC Stations, NeXT boxes, and the like, because they needed the big specs.

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 10-Aug-2017 13:34:46
#25 ]

@simplex

I can imagine a University or Medical center picking on up when a clustered system is a bit too much, but they still need a lot of raw power in one machine.

ferrels 
Posted on 10-Aug-2017 16:21:27
#26 ]
Cult Member

@WolfpackN64

Quote:
Their kickstarter failed. That isn't any indication that they have malevolent intent, unlike so many companies who reached their kickstarter goals and never shipped anything. I've read up on plenty of their technical specifications. It's pretty damn obvious they're going to run Linux. Also, I'd be surprised if a Silver level OpenPOWER member would scam it's costumers. I've their going to ship this thing then your whole post is going to look a tad ridiculous.

This thing is never going to ship. The kickstarter campaign failed because most people saw thru the smoke and mirrors that Raptor had thrown up plus there's almost ZERO demand for a PPC workstation. And where is it obvious that this thing is supposed to run Linux? On the BLANK documentation and software pages on their web site? The only person looking ridiculous is you for recommending this disaster to others.

If it failed as a kickstarter project it's certainly going to fail again as a "pre-order" project, especially when they themselves state that pre-orders are "non-cancellable".

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 10-Aug-2017 16:32:55
#27 ]

@ferrels

It says so on the front page of the system if you'd actually bothered to look. There is a quite a bit of demand from professionals for a good POWER workstation. Raptor never threw up any smoke and mirrors, maybe in your mind. I don't know if you have realized it, but that motherboard and CPU they're showing is not a render, these are actual real parts.

Frankly, I don't like your attitude, you can take your lack of enthusiasm down a notch or two or don't comment at all.

Last edited by WolfpackN64 on 10-Aug-2017 at 04:34 PM.

jorit2 
Posted on 10-Aug-2017 16:41:36
#28 ]

@simplex

Quote:

simplex wrote:
@gregthecanuck

Quote:
To me the dual-processor motherboard is complete overkill for an initial offering. Sure that could be a next-generation or power-user (heh) option but for goodness sakes that must have added a lot of extra costs.

Seems to me they're aiming this at the "power" computing market: scientific outfits that need a lot of RAM & horsepower. I'm not sure that really exists anymore, what with the advent of cluster computing and all, but once upon a time university math & science departments, as well as professional research outfits, would easily drop tens of thousands of $$$ on SPARC Stations, NeXT boxes, and the like, because they needed the big specs.

Sure that still exists, and more than ever, even more so in commercial markets.
Data-science, to name but one application, is booming and lots of commercial outlets need big number crunching power. It's often cheaper and easier to install a few heavy duty workstations than come up with a cluster (hadoop ... )
Other applications include rendering, oil companies typically use them too for research. I've seen loads of machines with 512GB internal memory or more.

Evert

Beans 
Posted on 10-Aug-2017 17:03:12
#29 ]

@ferrels

Quote:
they....state that pre-orders are "non-cancellable"

I missed that.
It IS ominous.
I'd like to see these built, but the drop in price makes me wonder, will it stay this low or climb like the original Talos system did?

These are being quoted at a price that is only a few hundred more than an X1000.

But, even if an NG OS was ported, running a non-SMP OS on a cpu that supports 16 concurrent threads seems wasteful.

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 10-Aug-2017 18:16:53
#30 ]

@Beans

Stay this low I think, It's mainly due to the POWER9 CPU being cheaper. And the pre-order situation is pretty simple really. If you don't trust it, don't pre order. No need by ferrels to spread any suspicion based on thin air.

ferrels 
Posted on 10-Aug-2017 18:17:11
#31 ]
Cult Member

@WolfpackN64

It doesn't matter to me one bit if you don't like my attitude. I'm not here to be your friend or to be a cheerleader for this dodgy venture.

And you're just making up facts to suit you. I'm a software developer and I don't know another single developer who is looking for a Power-based workstation, good or bad. And photos of a motherboard on Raptor's site is not proof that they actually have a product. It is simply a photo and it could be a photo of an Intel motherboard for all you know or a mock-up for sales purposes.

I stay away from any company that doesn't have a shipping product, considers all pre-orders non-cancellable, and who also reserves the right to place my order in a back-order status indefinitely. Read all about their shady policies here: https://raptorcs.com/content/base/support.html

If you're so hot and bothered to buy this vaporware, then send them your cash and show us a receipt. But I wouldn't touch this company with a 10 ft pole.

BTW, they don't even have a front office. You can only reach them via a PO Box.....nice....real nice...

Last edited by ferrels on 10-Aug-2017 at 06:22 PM.

ferrels 
Posted on 10-Aug-2017 18:18:42
#32 ]
Cult Member

@WolfpackN64

Quote:
No need by ferrels to spread any suspicion based on thin air.

Thin air? You must be joking. Their own support page should scare the knickers off of any prospective buyer:

https://raptorcs.com/content/base/support.html

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 10-Aug-2017 18:22:45
#33 ]

@ferrels

Then don't, but just because you don' need doesn't need no-one needs one. I've seen plenty of interest for the board already.
No need to slander Raptor as they've done nothing to warrant your suspicion (yet).

You don't need to be imaginative to see that's not an Intel or AMD socket.
How about we wait and see when the products ship before going full nihilism?
And considering you even mist their OS page, I wouldn't be surprised if you read their own support page very selectively.

Last edited by WolfpackN64 on 10-Aug-2017 at 06:23 PM.

ferrels 
Posted on 10-Aug-2017 18:37:12
#34 ]
Cult Member

@WolfpackN64

Quote:
Then don't, but just because you don' need doesn't need no-one needs one. I've seen plenty of interest for the board already. No need to slander Raptor as they've done nothing to warrant your suspicion (yet). You don't need to be imaginative to see that's not an Intel or AMD socket. How about we wait and see when the products ship before going full nihilism? And considering you even mist their OS page, I wouldn't be surprised if you read their own support page very selectively.

I certainly won't order one and everything about this product smells bad and warrants suspicion. And there was no selective reading. I read their entire support page. And I'm sure you haven't read it all based on your comments. Since you're too lazy and deceptive to read it, I'll post the juicy bits below. Take note of the non-cancellable orders and perpetual back-order status.

Quote:
Preordered Items
Preordered items are full prepay and are noncancellable. Anticpated "ship by" times appear on product detail pages and are accurate at the time of preordering. Raptor Computing Systems makes every effort to prevent delay in supply chains and manufacturing. Per Raptor Computing Systems shipping policy, all items in one order will be shipped together. If you need a different shipping accommodation, please contact us at sales@raptorcs.com; additional shipping and handling costs may apply.

Backordered Items
Raptor Computing Systems attempts to keep all items in stock and ready for shipment. If for any reason the requested items are out of stock at the time your order is placed, your entire order will be held until the backordered items become available. If you would like the remainder of your order to ship separately, please contact us at sales@raptorcs.com; additional shipping and handling costs may apply.

So go ahead and send them your $6750 on a non-cancellable order for a Talos II that has no expected shipping date and a perpetual back-order policy.
And when you have an issue with your order, just send a letter to this address. I'm sure it'll get taken care of promptly.

P.O. Box 1646
Belvidere, IL 61008

Last edited by ferrels on 10-Aug-2017 at 06:42 PM.

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 10-Aug-2017 18:40:44
#35 ]

@ferrels

Sorry, but what did I ever do to you for you to call me "lazy and deceptive"? You're out of line, if you want to discuss this, at least do so civilly.

I'm not going to drag this topic into a petty discussion. First, I'm not advocating everyone to prepurchase this, I was exited for what this means for the Power architecture. I don't need you to turn this into an anti-Raptor crusade without any rime or reason.

ferrels 
Posted on 10-Aug-2017 18:47:50
#36 ]
Cult Member

@WolfpackN64

Quote:
Sorry, but what did I ever do to you for you to call me "lazy and deceptive"?

Because you accused me of "selectively" reading the company's policies in order to twist the facts. That would be intellectually dishonest and I don't take kindly to being called a liar. I don't perform selective reading of any kind. And you obviously didn't read any of their policies or you would have never taken on the role of head cheerleader for this product.

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 10-Aug-2017 18:50:29
#37 ]

@ferrels

We're done, you can't have a serious discussion. It's like I'm talking to an angry brick wall.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle