Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 140 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  2 mins ago
 amigang:  34 mins ago
 OlafS25:  58 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr ago
 zipper:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 marcofreeman:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  AROS Hardware
      /  I'm working on the perfect AROS laptop.
Register To Post

PosterThread
dommer416 
I'm working on the perfect AROS laptop.
Posted on 3-Sep-2017 3:31:25
#1 ]

So for the last year I have, for the most part, had a break from this little project of mine. I don't normally have time via my psycho family, however I haven't had too much of a bad time lately and I have been able to commit myself once again.

So, I am normally a linux user. I'm an avid arch lover and the most I know about windows is on the DOS based systems. Pretty sad for a 23 year old huh? Oh well. I do dream of a perfect AROS system that I can plop on a laptop and have everything work out of the box. Naturally, I should have requirements for this, and I seem to have candidates now.

1: Its a laptop. Desktops are nice, but if I'm out and about I'd rather have my fun machine with me. I can do net stuff at home or on my phone. Needs to bee portable, which I am pretty lenient about. 16 inches or less. Weight doesn't matter to me.

2: AC97. All computers that I own that I like happen to have this sound chip. So thats not hard. They tend to sound the best as well, ironically.

3: 8:5 or 5:4. Can't have 16:9 or 4:3. Ugly. Bleh. Can't see anything either. Pain in the butt. Give me a 5:4 or its fat sister.

4: 2GB of ram. No less. No pentium 3's or early athlons.

5: 800 MHZ or more. Thats pretty simple.

6: Wifi. Its a rule of mine.

Well I said I have candidates right?

1: Dell Inspiron 620M. Pretty nice. Has all the stuff I would want, just need a wireless card and its all set right out of the box.

2: Dell Inspiron 6000 DDR2 edition. It doesn't need to be DDR2, it just so happens that mine is. Its a pretty nice Pentium M lappy all around. Again, everything works out of the box. Just needs wifi. Even has an ATI X300 :P

3: Acer Aspire KAV10 D150. Screen is pretty shit in all honesty, but its so damn small that its too convenient.

I have a sub requirement. Needs dvorak capable keyboard. The acer is the only one of the three capable of that, so for the moment its in the lead. Its also the only one with actual battery life so thats even more of a plus.

I was working on wifi drivers at one point, but the way I was attacking it wasn't working so I've given up. I don't know how to write for hardware from scratch, so I can't really be too worked up about that stuff.

Anyways, thought I'd let you guys know these laptops are pretty a grade for Aros, Icaros specifically. And in my area they seem pretty common, so they can't be too hard to find elsewhere.

Profile     Report this post  
IridiumFX 
Re: I'm working on the perfect AROS laptop.
Posted on 3-Sep-2017 17:32:42
#2 ]

@dommer416

Wouldn't it be easier to aim for a Dell D820 ?
When last year I was experimenting with AROS, I got one for 40 £, changed the wifi card with an Aspire One zg5 (5 £) and upgraded the LCD panel to WUXGA (1920x1200) for 40£ and keyboard to US Layout (15 £) and RAM 4GB, visible 3.2 for an additional 15£

Needless to say it supports wifi, intel graphics acceleration (including 3D). The Core2Duo is still an OK CPU for ICaros and should the SMP/64 branch ever move forward, it's also relatively future proof.

I have no idea about this Dvorak thing, but if all you need is a fully supported machine, my suggestion is the D520, D530 or D820 (the D830 has random issues with the tcp stack).

dommer416 
Posted on 3-Sep-2017 21:42:33
#3 ]

@IridiumFX

I guess it would, but I have sight problems so I try to not go for stupid high res (example being I had a 1080p screen on my desktop and I bought a 1680X1050 screen and am much happier). At that, these are literally machines that you can get for free and have cheap batteries. Icaros, Aros more specifically, doesn't care about cores or anything, just SSE and clocks. Maybe DDR2, but thats not much of a difference.

clusteruk 
Posted on 4-Sep-2017 11:34:04
#4 ]

@dommer416

How about this laptop, still available and runs brilliantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn8TW0gF5xQ

thellier 
Posted on 4-Sep-2017 12:46:49
#5 ]

Does your selected laptops also support hardware accelerated OpenGL/Mesa ?
If yes which model the fastest ?

Alain

dommer416 
Posted on 4-Sep-2017 16:09:36
#6 ]

@clusteruk

LOL thats basically the little acer I have now though.

dommer416 
Posted on 4-Sep-2017 16:10:57
#7 ]

@thellier

The only one of the three that can would probably be the Dell 6000 because it has an actual GPU, though for that you would probably want a desktop in all honesty. I assume you're looking at doing stuff in blender?

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle